Getting Grace Right

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Is. 26:10 Let favour (grace) be shewed to the wicked, yet will he not learn righteousness: in the land of uprightness will he deal unjustly, and will not behold the majesty of the Lord.

I see people having strange ideas concerning grace. God is love...He is good. But that same God will also judge. Simply because God shows us favour (grace) in this time of grace that does NOT mean He approves of us. God gives sunshine both to the righteous and the wicked. This is not about us...but about His generosity.

But many take His generosity for approval or acceptance by God...calling this "grace." And these claim that a one time grace from God is worth a lifetime of iniquities. But look again at the verse above...

God gives us a chance to turn from iniquity and to learn righteousness. But I see so many using grace as an excuse to NOT change their ways.

Grace is in indeed "deceitful" (Prov. 31:30)...for those who misunderstand God's goodness for approval.

Without real holiness in our lives and walks none shall see the Lord.
Hi Epi,
May I ask which version of the bible you took Prov. 31:30 from? I don't see "Grace" but I do see "Charm" and "Vain beauty"

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hi Epi,
May I ask which version of the bible you took Prov. 31:30 from? I don't see "Grace" but I do see "Charm" and "Vain beauty"

Proverbs 31:30
[30] Favour is deceitful, and beauty is vain: but a woman that feareth the Lord , she shall be praised.

Consider “Favour” and “beauty” foster vanity and deceit...Romans 8:20 For the creature was made subject to vanity, not willingly, but by reason of him who hath subjected the same in hope,

How does hope in Christ ...’grace’ become then “deceitful”??

Romans 8:21
[21] Because the creature itself also shall be delivered from the bondage of corruption into the glorious liberty of the children of God.

Hebrews 13:9
[9] Be not carried about with divers and strange doctrines. For it is a good thing that the heart be established with grace; not with meats, which have not profited them that have been occupied therein.

Episkopos

May 17, 2011
Montreal
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Hi Epi,

It is the same word in hebrew...cHen. Favour (grace) is deceitful.

Reactions: Nancy

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It is the same word in hebrew...cHen. Favour (grace) is deceitful.

Looked it up and you are right. I ask then how is “unmerited favour” or grace deceitful? How is “charm” and grace considered the same in deceitful? :confused:“His grace has been termed 'unmerited favour' but it is more than an attitude of favour or mercy. His mercy is an expression of His compassion toward us, but His grace is an extension of benevolence translated into action that releases His enabling power into our lives.”

Last edited:

Episkopos

May 17, 2011
Montreal
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Looked it up and you are right. I ask then how is “unmerited favour” or grace deceitful? How is “charm” and grace considered the same in deceitful? :confused:“His grace has been termed 'unmerited favour' but it is more than an attitude of favour or mercy. His mercy is an expression of His compassion toward us, but His grace is an extension of benevolence translated into action that releases His enabling power into our lives.”

This is something that is not taught in modern churches...but grace is like a "double-edged sword". Like the word of God itself. The origin is holy. The destination must also be holy. Grace ....like the words from God...can come back to bite us so to speak. To whom much is given MORE is required. So then more grace means more accountability...more responsibility.

For the one who is faithfull and fears the Lord...grace is the avenue to glory with God. But to the selfish and slothful grace is a deeper indictment to our behaviour.

There is more to the salvation of God than meets the eye.

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Simply because God shows us favour (grace) in this time of grace that does NOT mean He approves of us. God gives sunshine both to the righteous and the wicked. This is not about us...but about His generosity.

But many take His generosity for approval or acceptance by God...calling this "grace." And these claim that a one time grace from God is worth a lifetime of iniquities. But look again at the verse above...

We are accepted in Jesus, not in our own good behavior. "Accepted in the beloved . . ." Ephesians 1 states this clearly.

By one man's righteous act, we are made righteous even against a lifetime of iniquities. See Romans 5 on this.

I'm sorry that the grace of God that you know is not His grace unto salvation, but that you believe you need to somehow cobble together your own righteousness.

There is a grace from God greater than His sunshine and rain on the just and unjust, but grace that justifies the sinner. Even from a lifetime of sin.

Legalism is the bondage that supports the ongoing commission of sin. Stepping out into God's grace is what frees us.

Telling those who are born again that they are not in the Spirit because they acknowledge sins in their lives both denies the truth to Romans 8, which clearly defines those who are in the Spirit as those in whom Christ lives, and sets up a fiction of this "in the Spirit" in which we live in perfection.

Who commits no sins?

Do you? Serious question.

Much love!

justbyfaith

Jun 28, 2018
San Pedro
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
John may indeed be using hyperbole in his statement in 1 John 3:9, so that he is in effect saying, that if anyone is in Christ, the direction of his life has changed, from walking towards sin, death, and hell, to walking towards righteousness, life, and heaven.

I, for one, do not believe that when a man crosses over the boundary of the land of sin into the land of righteousness that he necessarily has to die and go on to be with the Lord at that moment.

We are walking in a new direction, away from sin, as believers. If we mess up here or there, we can get up and keep walking in that direction.

Pro 4:18, But the path of the just is as the shining light, that shineth more and more unto the perfect day.