GIFTS OF THE SPIRIT

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Episkopos

May 17, 2011
Montreal
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Choosy spirits choose gif!

Here is what I found. They all are about horses.

giphy.gif

Never look a gif horse in the mouth.

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The Scriptures are now complete; this is a very important part of the matter.
But the understanding of the scriptures by a man who has not yet overcome the world as Jesus overcame the world remains incomplete. What is it that Jesus said we are to do with what we have and why?

"But he that knew not, and did commit things worthy of stripes, shall be beaten with few stripes. For unto whomsoever much is given, of him shall be much required: and to whom men have committed much, of him they will ask the more." Luke 12:48

Reactions: Helen

Wafer

May 16, 2019
Yuma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Rather nebulous comments like this makes me think that it is just a throwaway line used to fill some space.

Well, yes, one must make a noise or something to remind everybody that we are a group. It doesn't always have to be a deep thought.

Wafer

May 16, 2019
Yuma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
In the 19th century Americans started moving west and three institutions went with them. There was vaudeville, traveling entertainment. There was lyceum, traveling education and culture. And there was the itinerant preacher, offering a new style of preaching called "hell fire and brim stone". It was very entertaining, only loosely based on scripture, and pastors didn't even try to compete. Instead they switched to preaching public morality and philosophy. Eventually an entire generation grew up not knowing the first thing about the religion they claimed to believe. That is why most Christian churches don't teach doctrines, and most members don't know what they are supposed to believe.

2 Timothy 4:
3 For the time will come when they will not endure sound doctrine; but after their own lusts shall they heap to themselves teachers, having itching ears; 4 And they shall turn away their ears from the truth, and shall be turned unto fables.

marksman

My eldest granddaughter showing the result of her
Feb 27, 2008
Melbourne Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Well, yes, one must make a noise or something to remind everybody that we are a group. It doesn't always have to be a deep thought.

I wasn't aware that we are a group. All we are is a bunch of individuals adding our comment to what has been said.

marksman

Feb 27, 2008
Melbourne Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
In the 19th century Americans started moving west and three institutions went with them. There was vaudeville, traveling entertainment. There was lyceum, traveling education and culture. And there was the itinerant preacher, offering a new style of preaching called "hell fire and brim stone". It was very entertaining, only loosely based on scripture, and pastors didn't even try to compete. Instead they switched to preaching public morality and philosophy. Eventually an entire generation grew up not knowing the first thing about the religion they claimed to believe. That is why most Christian churches don't teach doctrines, and most members don't know what they are supposed to believe.

2 Timothy 4:
3 For the time will come when they will not endure sound doctrine; but after their own lusts shall they heap to themselves teachers, having itching ears; 4 And they shall turn away their ears from the truth, and shall be turned unto fables.

I am not sure what that has got to do with the nine gifts of the Spirit.

Wafer

May 16, 2019
Yuma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I am not sure what that has got to do with the nine gifts of the Spirit.

It explains why Christians as a rule don't know what they are talking about. They have not learned to read the bible, so they look at the pages and recite what some uninstructed preacher has told them it says. The word 'charisma' appears in the bible just 17 times and only one of those uses refers to "gifts of healings". That is because it is a gift to another person. The bible plainly says "manifestations", and they are given to every person who has the holy spirit.

1 Corinthians 12:7 King James Version (KJV)
7 But the manifestation of the Spirit is given to every man to profit withal.

marksman

Feb 27, 2008
Melbourne Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
The next in the line is the gift (charisma) of knowledge. This is an interesting one because the Greek word for knowledge is Gnosis from which we get the idea of Gnosticism. This set of beliefs known as Gnosticism is a modern name for a variety of ancient religious ideas and systems, originating in Jewish-Christian milieux in the first and second century AD. These systems believed that the material world is created by an emanation or 'works' of a lower god, trapping the divine spark within the human body.

But there is actually no such thing as Christian Gnosticism, because true Christianity and Gnosticism are mutually exclusive systems of belief. The principles of Gnosticism contradict what it means to be a Christian. Therefore, while some forms of Gnosticism may claim to be Christian, they are in fact decidedly non-Christian.

Gnosticism was perhaps the most dangerous heresy that threatened the early church during the first three centuries. Influenced by such philosophers as Plato, Gnosticism is based on two false premises. First, it espouses a dualism regarding spirit and matter. Gnostics assert that matter is inherently evil and spirit is good. As a result of this presupposition, Gnostics believe anything done in the body, even the grossest sin, has no meaning because real life exists in the spirit realm only.

Second, Gnostics claim to possess an elevated knowledge, a “higher truth” known only to a certain few. Gnosticism comes from the Greek word gnosis which means “to know.” Gnostics claim to possess a higher knowledge, not from the Bible, but acquired on some mystical higher plane of existence. Gnostics see themselves as a privileged class elevated above everybody else by their higher, deeper knowledge of God.

I am not talking about this kind of gnosis (knowledge), I am referring to knowledge that comes by the Holy Spirit. One area I have been used in is recognizing the Jezebel Spirit. I have been sitting in the pew and listening to a woman speak and a little voice has said Jezebel Spirit.

On other occasions, I have been listening to a pastor preach and a little voice has said rejection.

In both cases, the Spirit has given me knowledge as to where the person is at which is good because it means that you don't have to accept what the person says.

In another meeting where a female leader was preaching she claimed the authority of female leadership from some non-descript verse in Genesis. When I spoke to her about it I was rounded on by her husband who I discovered was the enforcer in the church to make people conform to what was being taught. I discovered that no one was allowed to disagree with the leadership.

Without this gift in operation, we are going to be led astray by man's ideas that are not consistent with the scriptures. In another church, I was told that I could not have a ministry unless I became a member which meant I had to read their doctrinal statement and agree to it. I read it and there were 31 doctrines which were not backed up by scripture. Naturally, I declined membership.

So to sum up, the gift of knowledge comes by the Spirit and is given to reveal to you that there are things that are not right. It has been said that it is the same as the word of wisdom. That is not the case as if it were, there would be no need for both gifts to be given.

Episkopos

May 17, 2011
Montreal
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
But there is actually no such thing as Christian Gnosticism, because true Christianity and Gnosticism are mutually exclusive systems of belief. The principles of Gnosticism contradict what it means to be a Christian. Therefore, while some forms of Gnosticism may claim to be Christian, they are in fact decidedly non-Christian.

But there's the rub. Most modern believers believe in a saving knowledge.

Gnosticism is a spiritual knowledge but in a carnal enclosure...IOW the person never stops sinning even thought they hold to the promise of one day being freed from sin (at death). But that's seen as OK since it's the knowledge that saves not the behaviour (in this view). Sound familiar?

What is normally taught in churches is a form of gnosticism.....which is obtained from a misreading of Romans 7. Where we serve God with the mind (knowledge) but at the same time serve sin in the flesh. That is PURE Gnosticism. Many here hold to that theory.

Peter does warn us that many twist Paul's words. But there are serious consequences to this.

GTW27

Dec 6, 2018
wilderness
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The next in the line is the gift (charisma) of knowledge. This is an interesting one because the Greek word for knowledge is Gnosis from which we get the idea of Gnosticism. This set of beliefs known as Gnosticism is a modern name for a variety of ancient religious ideas and systems, originating in Jewish-Christian milieux in the first and second century AD. These systems believed that the material world is created by an emanation or 'works' of a lower god, trapping the divine spark within the human body.

Gnosticism was perhaps the most dangerous heresy that threatened the early church during the first three centuries. Influenced by such philosophers as Plato, Gnosticism is based on two false premises. First, it espouses a dualism regarding spirit and matter. Gnostics assert that matter is inherently evil and spirit is good. As a result of this presupposition, Gnostics believe anything done in the body, even the grossest sin, has no meaning because real life exists in the spirit realm only.

Second, Gnostics claim to possess an elevated knowledge, a “higher truth” known only to a certain few. Gnosticism comes from the Greek word gnosis which means “to know.” Gnostics claim to possess a higher knowledge, not from the Bible, but acquired on some mystical higher plane of existence. Gnostics see themselves as a privileged class elevated above everybody else by their higher, deeper knowledge of God.

I am not talking about this kind of gnosis (knowledge), I am referring to knowledge that comes by the Holy Spirit. One area I have been used in is recognizing the Jezebel Spirit. I have been sitting in the pew and listening to a woman speak and a little voice has said Jezebel Spirit.

On other occasions, I have been listening to a pastor preach and a little voice has said rejection.

In both cases, the Spirit has given me knowledge as to where the person is at which is good because it means that you don't have to accept what the person says.

In another meeting where a female leader was preaching she claimed the authority of female leadership from some non-descript verse in Genesis. When I spoke to her about it I was rounded on by her husband who I discovered was the enforcer in the church to make people conform to what was being taught. I discovered that no one was allowed to disagree with the leadership.

Without this gift in operation, we are going to be led astray by man's ideas that are not consistent with the scriptures. In another church, I was told that I could not have a ministry unless I became a member which meant I had to read their doctrinal statement and agree to it. I read it and there were 31 doctrines which were not backed up by scripture. Naturally, I declined membership.

So to sum up, the gift of knowledge comes by the Spirit and is given to reveal to you that there are things that are not right. It has been said that it is the same as the word of wisdom. That is not the case as if it were, there would be no need for both gifts to be given.

Blessing in Christ Jesus! Not to put you on the spot, but I will ask any way. I have yet to write much on these boards, for I write, as I am led. What do you discern out of what I have written so far? You see, The Lord has given me eyes to see and ears to hear, but I am curious as to how The Body receives it. I have found that The Spiritual Gifts are best thought of, as Him(The Holy Spirit) in us, to be used as He pleases, and it is His will that we lift each other up, or encourage one another, for we are all members of His Body.There are countless doctrines out there but only One Truth. And that Truth remains in us, as we are in Him, and He is in us. It has been said that we will drink any deadly thing (poison)and it will not harm us, as well as "if possible the elect" So you see, correction is made, and the darkness is exposed, by that small voice that teaches us, and leads us unto all righteousness.

marksman

Feb 27, 2008
Melbourne Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
The next cab of the rank is the gift of faith. This can be problematic for a lot of people because they are not sure just what this is or what it means.

So let me say it is not always to do with miracles or healing.

Faith is something every true believer has at various levels and in various forms. One might say it comes with salvation. The best way to describe faith is a moral conviction of the truthfulness of God, especially reliance on Christ for salvation.

It reminds me of that verse in 2 Timothy 1:12 which says "For which cause I also suffer these things. But I am not ashamed, for I know whom I have believed, and I am persuaded that He is able to guard my deposit until that Day."

This means that "for I know" is a very powerful confession.

I am sure that the best was to get this "I know" is through trials and testing. Whenever you go through something that challenges your faith and you come out the other side the better for it, your faith level rises. If you don't have trials and testing you tend to be a jelly belly and are blown about by every wind of doctrine.

I have taken the verse from a literal rendering and the word deposit means a sacred trust which we deposit in Christ at salvation. From that, we can say I know.

In respect of faith and healing, the obvious verse is James 5:15 And the prayer of faith will save those being sick, and the Lord will raise him up. And if he may have committed sin, it will be forgiven him.

Once again this prayer of faith comes about through trials and testing. The level of your faith comes with the number of trials and testing because with each trial you get a boost to your faith so when you do pray the prayer of faith you can expect results. I forgot to mention that the Greek meaning of the word faith in James 5:15 is the same word and meaning as in 1 Corinthians 12.

As they say in the sports world...no pain no gain. And as a friend of mine used to say "you mature in your trials, not your successes."

One thing that is very interesting in the prayer of faith is that it says the sick person will be raised up and if he may have committed sin, it will be forgiven him. Please note that it says if he, which means that is not necessarily the case. There was a time when if a believer got sick the question was "I wonder what sin he has committed?"

That sentiment can be true or else those words would not have been included.

To be forgiven your sin is to have them sent away, laid aside or omitted. That sounds very conclusive.

So there you have it. Build your faith and if you get trials then praise God because your faith is going to increase and strengthen.

Last edited:
Reactions: Pearl

Wafer

May 16, 2019
Yuma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The next cab of the rank is the gift of faith. This can be problematic for a lot of people because they are not sure just what this is or what it means.

So let me say it is not always to do with miracles or healing.

Faith is something every true believer has at various levels and in various forms. One might say it comes with salvation. The best way to describe faith is a moral conviction of the truthfulness of God, especially reliance on Christ for salvation.

It reminds me of that verse in 2 Timothy 1:12 which says "For which cause I also suffer these things. But I am not ashamed, for I know whom I have believed, and I am persuaded that He is able to guard my deposit until that Day."

This means that "for I know" is a very powerful confession.

I am sure that the best was to get this "I know" is through trials and testing. Whenever you go through something that challenges your faith and you come out the other side the better for it, your faith level rises. If you don't have trials and testing you tend to be a jelly belly and are blown about by every wind of doctrine.

I have taken the verse from a literal rendering and the word deposit means a sacred trust which we deposit in Christ at salvation. From that, we can say I know.

In respect of faith and healing, the obvious verse is James 5:15 And the prayer of faith will save those being sick, and the Lord will raise him up. And if he may have committed sin, it will be forgiven him.

Once again this prayer of faith comes about through trials and testing. The level of your faith comes with the number of trials and testing because with each trial you get a boost to your faith so when you do pray the prayer of faith you can expect results. I forgot to mention that the Greek meaning of the word faith in James 5:15 is the same word and meaning as in 1 Corinthians 12.

As they say in the sports world...no pain no gain. And as a friend of mine used to say "you mature in your trials, not your successes."

One thing that is very interesting in the prayer of faith is that it says the sick person will be raised up and if he may have committed sin, it will be forgiven him. Please note that it says if he, which means that is not necessarily the case. There was a time when if a believer got sick the question was "I wonder what sin he has committed?"

That sentiment can be true or else those words would not have been included.

To be forgiven your sin is to have them sent away, laid aside or omitted. That sounds very conclusive.

So there you have it. Build your faith and if you get trials then praise God because your faith is going to increase and strengthen.

What are you doing, writing your own bible? Faith is believing. The same Greek word, pistis, is translated both ways. Believing is a natural ability: anybody can believe. But the bible says pistis came by Jesus Christ. That establishes two contexts: before Jesus and after Jesus. So then faith is a spiritually augmented ability to believe. Not a "gift". It is a manifestation of the holy spirit.

You really should read your bible and stop making up things.

marksman

Feb 27, 2008
Melbourne Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
What are you doing, writing your own bible? Faith is believing. The same Greek word, pistis, is translated both ways. Believing is a natural ability: anybody can believe. But the bible says pistis came by Jesus Christ. That establishes two contexts: before Jesus and after Jesus. So then faith is a spiritually augmented ability to believe. Not a "gift". It is a manifestation of the holy spirit.

You really should read your bible and stop making up things.

I am very happy with the study I have given. If you don't like it go look at something else as sarcastic comment achieves nothing.

Wafer

May 16, 2019
Yuma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I am very happy with the study I have given. If you don't like it go look at something else as sarcastic comment achieves nothing.

Proverbs 12:1 King James Version (KJV)
12 Whoso loveth instruction loveth knowledge: but he that hateth reproof is brutish.

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Proverbs 12:1 King James Version (KJV)
12 Whoso loveth instruction loveth knowledge: but he that hateth reproof is brutish.
Whoever loves discipline loves knowledge, but whoever hates correction is stupid.
Ah but it depends who is doing the correction and whether they are right or not. Not all on this site who 'correct' others are themselves correct.

Wafer

May 16, 2019
Yuma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Whoever loves discipline loves knowledge, but whoever hates correction is stupid.
Ah but it depends who is doing the correction and whether they are right or not. Not all on this site who 'correct' others are themselves correct.

You're such a sweetheart.