GIVE us today our daily bread. I order you to?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Jesus taught his disciples how to pray in Matthew 6:

Give
δὸς (dos)
Verb - Aorist Imperative Active - 2nd Person Singular

The Greek imperative mood usually expresses a command. However, we cannot order the Father. In this case, it expresses an earnest entreaty.
Consider this one in your study:

"Thus saith the Lord, the Holy One of Israel, and his Maker, Ask me of the things to come concerning my sons, and concerning the work of my hands command ye me."

Reactions: Nancy and marks

Randy Kluth

Apr 27, 2020
Pacific NW
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Give
δὸς (dos)

The Greek imperative mood usually expresses a command. However, we cannot order the Father. In this case, it expresses an earnest entreaty.
Far be it from us to order God! Amen! ;)

On the other hand, it appears God is so connected to our need for food and to our dependence on Him that He expresses in the strongest terms our need to talk with Him about it.

He is not resistant to answering certain prayers. He *wants* us to ask--perhaps even more so since our society, in its fallen condition, makes getting food an ordeal at times. We need to pray earnestly and to diligently seek His provisions, overturning every stone to get His answer, if necessary. He is there.

Reactions: TonyChanYT

quietthinker

May 4, 2018
FNQ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia

GIVE us today our daily bread. I order you to?​

You give us today our daily bread. A statement of acknowledgment and gratitude.

Lambano

Jul 13, 2021
Island of Misfit Toys
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Give
δὸς (dos)

Note that English works the same way. Though we can soften a command into a request by adding the word "please". "Please give us this day our daily bread".

Last edited:
Reactions: TonyChanYT

Lambano

Jul 13, 2021
Island of Misfit Toys
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Another interesting language feature is that the negative prohibitions in the 10 Commandments like "Thou SHALT NOT kill" are a Qal Imperfect in Hebrew (indicating a simple repeating action, or non-action in this case) and a Future Active Indicative in the Septuagint Greek. "You won't kill", not "Don't kill". And while it's not in the imperative, it's clearly understood as normative on all believers. The10 commandments are COMMANDMENTS.

I am a member of several industry standards bodies, and on all of them, the word "SHALL" is defined as a keyword that indicates that the particular clause must be considered normative. I wonder if my predecessors who defined this nomenclature knew they were echoing the 10 Commandments?