God changed Seventh Day Sabbath Worship to First Day of the Week

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

GerhardEbersoehn

Jan 14, 2014
Johannesburg
www.biblestudents.co.za
Faith
Christian
Country
South Africa
Those scriptures aren't a mystery. There is nothing secret or hidden message. And none of them suggest that God or the apostles removed the sanctity of the Sabbath to any other day. And the church had no authority to do that later either. Once Christ died, thus validating the new testament in His blood, no more changes to that testament could be affected by anyone. It was sealed. So if Jesus didn't remove the holiness away from the Sabbath in favor of the first day before He died, then it didn't happen.

Good and straight forward. God bless

GerhardEbersoehn

Jan 14, 2014
Johannesburg
www.biblestudents.co.za
Faith
Christian
Country
South Africa
Just to remind you that this thread is my OP and I believe it has been hijacked. But I'm learning.

Thanks
Colossians 2:14-16 - The Law That Was Against Us

<<The Greeks were Jewish converts to Judaism known as proselytes.>>
Pisidia by Paul in the Jews' synagogue, was the first time "the Word of His - Christ's - Salvation, was sent .. to .. Abraham's stock and to whomsoever among you who FEAR GOD. .. When the Jews were gone out .. and the -remaining- CONGREGATION -of Greeks- was broken up, many Jews and proselytes followed Paul who persuaded them to continue in the grace of God" WHICH THEY FOR THE FIRST TIME IN THEIR LIVES, HEARD THAT DAY! These were Jews and Greeks CONVERTED AND BORN-AGAIN by Paul's preaching the Word of God by whose witness and confession of faith in no time "almost the whole city" was "persuaded" to fill the whole synagogue to hear Paul's Good News about Jesus Christ! "Then the weekly Sabbath Day after (the in-between-(seasonal great-day-of) sabbath, came almost the WHOLE CITY TOGETHER TO HEAR THE WORD OF GOD."

Now notice that Paul's preaching on the "in-between-(seasonal) sabbath" [metaksu sabbaton], BROUGHT DIVISION BETWEEN STOCK OF ABRAHAM and "whosoever" else -- the Greeks.

But next Sabbath Day, on the "weekly Sabbath" (-- "on the To-Hear-The-Word-of-God-Sabbath" [tohi Sabbatohi akousai ton Logon tou Theou]--), Jew and Gentile were reconciled in peaceful, ALL CHRISTIAN "attendance" and "congregation", which "filled the Jews with envy, contradicting and blaspheming".

For that now, is the Bible-meaning of <<Sabbath-keeping>> as resulted from <<Paul's work (of) evangelism>> ON IT.

JunChosen

Apr 7, 2020
Los Angeles
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
So if Jesus didn't remove the holiness away from the Sabbath in favor of the first day before He died, then it didn't happen.

Is Matthew 28:1 Scripture or not?

The only way to understand that verse is pay heed to the printer's warning that all italicized words in the KJV Bible are not in the original manuscripts and that the word "week" is the same Hebrew word "sabbaton" which translates as "sabbaths."

Rendering the verse: At the end of the sabbaths as it began to dawn towards the first of the sabbaths...

As we can see there is an ending of sabbaths and a brand new sabbaths coming in the horizon so to speak.

No need to be a rocket scientist to see the change that the old era of Sabbaths is ending and a new era of Sabbaths is coming.

And even if we do not change anything in Matthew 28:1 the context will still be the same that an era of sabbaths [seventh day sabbath] is ending, and a new era of sabbaths is approaching towards the first day of the week.

The Seventh Day Sabbath command of no work of any kinds to be done is still enforced, but the first day of the week Sabbaths is now an intense work for the believers.

Am I the only one who can see this? I don't believe that except for those who posted in this thread! You might think me boastful but I only boast in God.

What I've heard in this thread is the argument about the character and nature of the Seventh Day Sabbath. No one but few have responded and in passing only about the OP. Matthew 28:1; Acts 13:42, 44; 20:7; 1 Corinthians 16:2 yet all responses were given as their own opinions.

To God Be The Glory

Last edited:

GerhardEbersoehn

Jan 14, 2014
Johannesburg
www.biblestudents.co.za
Faith
Christian
Country
South Africa
This chart shows us that God and His law have the exact same characteristics, revealing that the Ten Commandment law is actually God’s character in written form—written so that we can better comprehend God. It is no more possible to change God’s law than to pull God out of heaven and change Him. Jesus showed us what the law—that is, the pattern for holy living—looks like when expressed in human form. God’s character cannot change; therefore, neither can His law.

The eternal principles within God’s law are written deep in every person’s nature by the God who created us. The writing might be dim and smudged, but it is still there. We were created to live in harmony with them. When we ignore them, the result is always tension, unrest, and tragedy—just as ignoring the rules for safe driving can lead to serious injury or death.

The Ten Commandment law is the standard by which God examines people in the heavenly judgment.

“It is easier for heaven and earth to pass away than for one tittle of the law to fail” (Luke 16:17).

“My covenant I will not break, nor alter the word that has gone out of My lips” (Psalm 89:34).

“All His precepts [commandments] are sure. They stand fast forever and ever” (Psalm 111:7, 8).

The Bible is clear that the law of God cannot be changed. The commandments are revealed principles of God’s holy character and are the very foundation of His kingdom. They will be true as long as God exists.

The ministry of the Law was - and is - glorious. Yes! But against the Glory of Christ's Ministry the Law's glory is as NO glory at all.

I know I can do or say no more than that "Christ" and NOT the Law -- NOT His Own Law though written by the Spirit of Christ -- "is The All in all fulfilling FULLNESS OF GOD given to the Church", and not the Law, "as Head".

I still am baffled by the fact that you still think the Fullness of God may be shared with the Law rather than be ascribed to Jesus Christ alone. In fact it is dishonouring to God's Law if its honour must be shared with the Law-GIVER. That is heart sore; but that is the STORY OF Seventh day Adventism. Rich and need nothing from NO ONE even from Jesus Christ nothing; we have it all in the Law.

Well you are poor and blind. Said Jesus. The Scriptures are they that witness and testify of Jesus, yet you study them thinking you have the Life in them and not in God's Living Word.

I got so disapponted in you People I lost all faith and have reached the stage that I hate you. God, have mercy, I can only ask for myself, I just have lost all faith for my brethren and sisters of long ago. I hate you SDAs. It is my sin. I hate you, all!

Last edited:

ReChoired

Nov 26, 2019
Region
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

The only way to understand that verse is pay heed to the printer's warning that all italicized words in the KJV Bible are not in the original manuscripts and that the word "week" is the same Hebrew word "sabbaton" which translates as "sabbaths."

Rendering the verse: At the end of the sabbaths as it began to dawn towards the first of the sabbaths...

As we can see there is an ending of sabbaths and a brand new sabbaths coming in the horizon so to speak.

No need to be a rocket scientist to see the change that the old era of Sabbaths is ending and a new era of Sabbaths is coming.

To God Be The Glory
This was already addressed, in some detail, here:

"... This video will pretty much debunk the whole 'change' you have imagined here:

Jeff Dowell - 236 New Sabbath in Greek - Matthew 28-1

or here:

Jeff Dowell 236 New Sabbath In Greek Matthew 28:1 : Free Download, Borrow, and Streaming : Internet Archive

Let's consider the translation. Is the word for sabbath in Matthew 28:1's koine Greek? Yes. Is it plural? Yes:

Mat 28:1 οψε δε σαββατων τη επιφωσκουση εις μιαν σαββατων ηλθεν μαρια η μαγδαληνη και η αλλη μαρια θεωρησαι τον ταφον

Mat 28:1 οψεG3796 ADV δεG1161 CONJ σαββατωνG4521 N-GPN τηG3588 T-DSF επιφωσκουσηG2020 V-PAP-DSF ειςG1519 PREP μιανG1520 A-ASF σαββατωνG4521 N-GPN ηλθενG2064 V-2AAI-3S μαριαG3137 N-NSF ηG3588 T-NSF μαγδαληνηG3094 N-NSF καιG2532 CONJ ηG3588 T-NSF αλληG243 A-NSF μαριαG3137 N-NSF θεωρησαιG2334 V-AAN τονG3588 T-ASM ταφονG5028 N-ASM

What does this mean for the translation? The Jews always counted the days between sabbaths, as one, two, three, toward the culmination of the week, the 7th day. See:

Luk_18:12 I fast twice in the week, I give tithes of all that I possess.

Luk 18:12 νηστευω δις του σαββατου αποδεκατω παντα οσα κτωμαι

Luk 18:12 νηστευωG3522 V-PAI-1S διςG1364 ADV τουG3588 T-GSN σαββατουG4521 N-GSN αποδεκατωG586 V-PAI-1S πανταG3956 A-APN οσαG3745 K-APN κτωμαιG2932 V-PNI-1S​

There is some interesting history taking place in Matthew 28:1. It is just after the death, burial and resurrection of Jesus, which (crucifixion/death) took place on the 14th day of the first month (Passover; 1 Corinthians 5:7), being the 6th day of the week, and remaining in the tomb the 15th day of the first month, which was the first day of Unleavened bread (thus the 7th day Sabbath and Festal Sabbath (Leviticus 23:7-8) took place at the same time, two sabbaths, same day; see also 1 Corinthians 5:8), and the following day, was the 16th day of the first month, being the first day of the week, where Christ Jesus is resurrected as the firstfruits (1 Corinthians 15:20,23).

The translators not desiring to confuse anyone over the two sabbaths ending (the 7th day and festal), and like the Jews, simply counted it as a single unified High Sabbath (John 19:31). Thus in the end of the [high, or unified] Sabbath (the two sabbaths, the 7th day and the festal joined together), as it began to dawn toward the "mian sabbatwn". What does this mean then? "Mian" simply means "first" or even "one" in certain contexts. Again the word for sabbath is plural. What is "first sabbaths" in the context? The context is the feast of Weeks, the starting of the count, 49 days, or 7 weeks of 7th day sabbaths, with an additional day, being 50 unto Pentecost (Feast of Weeks; Leviticus 23:15-22). Thus, the very first day of the week, began the first week of the sabbaths towards Pentecost. To keep this simple to the common reader, the translators just said "first [day] of the week", which it was, without trying to confuse anyone. There would also be two sabbaths in that first week as well, the final festal sabbath closing out the 7 days of unleavened bread, and then the day after would be the first of the 7th day sabbaths of the 7 weeks (49 days).

AWHN%20-%20Bible%20-%207%20Feasts%20Of%20The%20LORD.jpg

See how long that is to explain? It is much easier to translate it the way it is, to keep it simple, and yet in so doing, it is not in error, though it is not a direct translation of the koine Greek, but a simplification of the idea therein presented, which does not do damage to the timeframes at all. ..." - God changed Seventh Day Sabbath Worship to First Day of the Week

Do you remember that?

Did you even address anything which was provided to you?

ReChoired

Nov 26, 2019
Region
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
These words "Stretch forth thy hand. And he did so: and his hand was restored whole as the other" are virtually the three in essence identical clauses found in the Greek in Exodus 14:26,27,28. Which is why Jesus' miracles and parables which He performed and taught on the Sabbath were PROPHETIC OF HIS RESURRECTION, THAT HE WOULD RISE FROM THE DEAD ON THE SABBATH DAY.
But no, say the Sabbathtarians lagging behind in their chorus with the Sundayworshippers. The Sundayworshippers must have had it right, Jesus rose on the First Day, Sunday, or we have been TOO STUPID to notice that they actually are WRONG. Therefore CURSED ARE YOU if you teach what the Scriptures say instead, because if you were right, we must have been wrong and fast asleep for centuries all along, and that, you nuisance, will be the day!
At the risk, of once more addressing this GE, you are attempting to cite Exodus 14:26-28 from a so called 'septuagint' (of Origen's hexapla) and making a connection to the resurrection of Jesus? The phrase 'stretch out thine hand' (in Masoretic Hebrew, translated into English) is a neat connection (with a similar phrase in Matthew 12:13; Mark 3:5; Luke 6:10), but what about all the other times it is used similarly, and in other contexts, as in Exodus 3:20, 6:6, 7:5,19, 8:5,6,16,17, 9:15,22,23, 10:12,13,21,22, 14:16,21,27, 15:12, 25:20; Deuteronomy 4:34, 5:15, 7:19, 9:29, 11:2, 26:8; Joshua 8:18,19,26; 1 Samuel 24:6, 26:9,11,23; 2 Samuel 24:16; 1 Kings 8:42, 17:21; 1 Chronicles 21:16; 2 Chronicles 6:32; Job 11:13, 15:25, 30:24; Psalms 44:20, 68:31, 88:9, 136:12, 138:7, 143:6; Proverbs 1:24, 31:20; Isaiah 5:25, 9:12,17,21, 10:4, 14:26,27, 23:11, 31:3; Jeremiah 6:12, 15:6, 21:5, 27:5, 32:17,21, 51:5,25; Ezekiel 6:14, 14:9,13, 16:27, 20:33,34, 25:7,13,16, 30:25, 35:3; Daniel 11:42; Zephaniah 1:4, 2:13; Matthew 12:49, 14:31, 26:51; Luke 22:53; John 21:18; Acts 4:30, 12:1, 26:1; Romans 10:21; and others like Genesis 48:14; 1 Kings 6:27; 2 Kings 4:34,35, 17:36, 21:13; Job 26:7, 38:5, 39:26; Psalms 104:2, 136:6; Isaiah 3:16, 8:8, 16:8, 28:20, 34:11, 40:22, 42:5, 44:13,24, 45:12, 51:13, 54:2; Jeremiah 6:4, 10:12,20; Lamentations 2:8; Ezekiel 1:11,22, 10:7; Hosea 7:5; Amos 6:4,7; Zechariah 1:6, 21:1; 2 Corinthians 10:14?

What about when Abraham stretched forth his hand to slay Isaac (Genesis 22:14), wouldn't that be a type of the death of Jesus, not the resurrection of Jesus.

What about all the times when the word says "hands stretched out still", or "stretched out" (arm, mighty hand, in salvation), which link to Jesus's hands being stretched out on the Cross for salvation, which also was not on sabbath?

Stretching out a hand can also be a signal of an oath, vow or promise, which is a sign of the agreement of one party to another. Jesus hands being outstretched on the cross, is a promise of the New Covenant in his death.

GE, the hand being stretched forth by the impotent man is not a sign that Jesus would raise from the dead on Sabbath. There is no such connection anywhere made in scripture. Jesus arose from the dead on the 'first [day] of the week' as all of the scriptures reveal, as I have gone over with you already.

Now, rail and howl as you always do, showing what manner of spirit ye are of.

Brakelite

Feb 6, 2020
Melbourne
brakelite.wordpress.com
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
He is a raving idiot.
It's a good thing then that God is faithfulness personified, else we would all be judged as raving idiots and lunatics. While many will discard God's mercy and drink themselves stupid with the wine of Babylon, even these will find mercy if they repent. Just recently didn't you say it's all about Jesus and His grace and mercy, and not the law? You were right then, are you going to contradict yourself because people don't see things your way?

JunChosen

Apr 7, 2020
Los Angeles
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Now isn't THAT pretty : <<At the END of the sabbaths as it began to dawn towards the FIRST of the sabbaths>> your horse is harnassed behind your cart, oukie!

Stop with your insults.

Do YOU have better rendering of Matthew 28:1 aside from the warning given by the printer and the fact that the word "week" is the Hebrew plural word "sabbaton?"

I thought you are a scholar in Hebrew or is that Greek because what you convey is "greek" to me.. lol

To God Be The Glory

JunChosen

Apr 7, 2020
Los Angeles
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
This was already addressed, in some detail, here:

"... This video will pretty much debunk the whole 'change' you have imagined here:

Sorry, by experience I don't listen to any videos or to those evangelists ot theologians who have a label before or after their names even if their work seems to be holy, any longer; unless i know that person and I know their work to be faithful to the word of God.

To God Be The Glory

Brakelite

Feb 6, 2020
Melbourne
brakelite.wordpress.com
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia

And even if we do not change anything in Matthew 28:1 the context will still be the same that an era of sabbaths [seventh day sabbath] is ending, and a new era of sabbaths is approaching towards the first day of the week.

The Seventh Day Sabbath command of no work of any kinds to be done is still enforced, but the first day of the week Sabbaths is now an intense work for the believers.

Am I the only one who can see this? I don't believe that except for those who posted in this thread! You might think me boastful but I only boast in God.

What I've heard in this thread is the argument about the character and nature of the Seventh Day Sabbath. No one but few have responded and in passing only about the OP. Matthew 28:1; Acts 13:42, 44; 20:7; 1 Corinthians 16:2 yet all responses were given as their own opinions.

To God Be The Glory
@ReChoired have you several explanations with in depth scriptural support to refute your theory, do I will not attempt to repeat what has already been done. I will say something however. You remind me of the prime minister of New Zealand, Jacinda Ardern. Speaking concerning the covid situation she said, ignore everyone else, this government is your only source of truth.
Declaring as you did above, The only way to understand is what Jacinda said. I believe God can create understanding of scripture in a myriad of ways, even deliberately allowing people to believe error because they don't have a love for the truth. God can also use anyone He likes to reveal truth, even donkeys. For me though, I don't believe the donkey unless he agrees with the rest of scripture. And in your case, all you have to support your entire concept is one verse which is readily explained to be contrary to the way you view it, and the way the rest of scripture upholds the true 7th day Sabbath.

robert derrick

Apr 13, 2021
Houston, tx
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
And the church had no authority to do that later either.

The 'church' has no authority to say or do anything other than what Jesus has given us by His apostles, to whom He gave commandments and doctrine to believe and do.

Since there is no transgression where no law nor commandment is given and written, then it is a matter of personal faith only, not a matter for the whole church to obey.

People teach for law and commandment their own personal faith, because they have no clue what they are doing:

Desiring to be teachers of the law; understanding neither what they say, nor whereof they affirm.

GerhardEbersoehn

Jan 14, 2014
Johannesburg
www.biblestudents.co.za
Faith
Christian
Country
South Africa
There is some interesting history taking place in Matthew 28:1. It is just after the death, burial and resurrection of Jesus

BLINDNESS! SDA humbug! 28:1 is just before verses 2 to 4 describing the FOLLOWING circumstances and implied event of the Resurrection.

And <<Matthew 28:1>> is not <<just after the death (and) burial of Jesus>>. "The day after the Preparation [Τῇ δὲ ἐπαύριον, ἥτις ἐστὶν μετὰ τὴν Παρασκευήν]" was "on Sabbath the weekly Sabbath [σαββάτων]", "before / towards / preceding the First Day of the week" [ εἰς μίαν σαββάτων]".

Last edited: