God changed Seventh Day Sabbath Worship to First Day of the Week

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
When I was a kid nobody, I mean nobody, was dicing up the ten commandments. And I'm not that old. However, obviously, there weren't any animal sacrifices being offered up, either. So the "613" WAS DEFINITELY split up. I just don't get it. For every text that seems, for some, to hint that the Sabbath was annulled, there are dozens that uphold the perpetuity of the moral law. The absence of a positive Sabbath command in the New Testament is an argument from silence--a logical fallacy.

2Ti 3:16 KJV All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness:

Rev 22:19 KJV And if any man shall take away from the words of the book of this prophecy, God shall take away his part out of the book of life, and out of the holy city, and from the things which are written in this book.
Keep hold of it all even if we cannot understand it all. What do we need to understand? Perhaps only enough to take the next step toward God as He directs us to do so?

JunChosen

Apr 7, 2020
Los Angeles
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
What is it you you find that is not self explanatory in these texts JunChosen? They are clear enough and hardly need comment.

I understand the Scripture I've offered. I wanted to know if YOU understood them. Your reply is insufficient. Many people claim they know the word of God but in reality they have a different interpretations from that of the Bible.

There is no shame in not understanding the word of God for we all have feet of clay.

Again I ask, have you done a study on the Scripture verses I've offered in post #954?

To God Be The Glory

JunChosen

Apr 7, 2020
Los Angeles
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The wages of sin have always been death. The sentence is delayed for now.

I beg to differ. It is true that the wages of sin is death and the sentence will not be carried out until judgement day, but not in the case of the man who picked up sticks on the sabbath. His sentence was immediate. Why? Was God so eager to destroy him or does God had other purposes in mind specially there are more people today who are seeking to join up in churches?

The Old Testament Sabbaths was to not do any kinds of work and in contrast, the New Testament Sabbaths is to do intense work. This is a hint folks for all Christians. Do as the Bereans who searched the Scripture to see if the Gospel Paul was preaching is so.

To God Be The Glory

robert derrick

Apr 13, 2021
Houston, tx
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yes, definitely we can worship God any day and everyday, in fact He loves that BUT God explicitly declared also one day to which we are to assemble together one day a week on the Seventh Day Sabbath.

The Pharisees and the Sadducees wanting to temp Jesus asked Him to show them a sign.
He replied:
2) When it is evening, ye say, it will be fair weather: for the sky is red.
3) and in the morning, it will be foul weather, for the sky is red and lowring. O ye hypocrites, ye can discern the face of the sky; but can you not discern the signs of the times?
4) A wicked and adulteress generation seeketh after a sign: and there shall no sign be given unto it, but the prophet Jonas."

So right you are that there be no such confusion about days and times and weeks for God chose the Seventh Day to not do any kinds of work [which has never been abrogated].

However, in Matthew 28:1 God changed the seventh day from "no work of any kinds" to intense work on the first day of the week.

Already we see this example when Jesus healed the man with the withered hand on the first day of the week [Mark 3:1-5].

The true Christians gather together on the first day of the week as per Acts 20:7
Another example is found in John 5:5-16. I suggest you folks read the whole event for it is only a few verses long.

Today the true Christians assemble together in a church on the first day of the week to listen to the Gospel, break bread, give our tithes, go to hospitals to preach the Gospel etc... for the support of the church and to send out missionaries to the world to preach the Gospel. All these are our duty to do for our Lord Jesus Christ who gave us eternal life! Yes, indeed God changed th seventh day not to do any kings of work to the first day of the week to do intense work not as the seventh day that prohibited to do any kinds of work.The context of the seventh day of no work of any kinds to be done has never been abrogated. ONLY THE DAY HAS CHANGED FROM THE SEVENTH DAY TO THE FIRST DAY OF THE WEEK. FROM NO WORK TO INTENSE WORK!

In fact, we saw this change when Peter stood up and preached at Pentecost and 3,000 souls were saved. Did not Jesus said that we will do greater work than He? Did not Pentecost occurred on the first day of the week?

Folks if your desire is to teach specially in a forum setting make sure you have studied the subject matter you want to present by exhausting the Scripture that pertains to the subject matter only. Maybe then, and only then with prayer and guidance from the Holy Spirit you might get to the truth.

There is one other matter I would like to point out that is, why did the man who picked up sticks in Numbers 15 was ordered by God to be stoned to death? Why was the punishment so severe? No one responded and the few who did their responds were in error. This can only be seen spiritually [1 Corinthians 2:11-16].

Is anyone here spiritual?

To God Be The Glory
BUT God explicitly declared also one day

True. He did declare it, before the law of Moses, and in the law of Moses, but not after the law of Moses.

I am under the law of Christ to obey toward God. I am a New Testament believer. I am not under the law of Moses, nor seeking promise by a vanished covenant and law of God changed by God, with the priesthood and covenant thereof.

It really doesn't take a whole lot of study and searching etc... to show law of God: just quote the Scripture given us by the apostles of Jesus: "The Sabbath remains law of God" "Thou shalt in Christ Jesus keep His Sabbath, as they did with Moses of old" "The Sabbath is holy unto the Lord Jesus, thou shalt keep it holy"

Anything like that will do. Which apostle in the doctrine of Christ stated plainly to keep the Sabbath? They had plenty to say about not killing, no adultery, etc...Oh, I got: God figured that 4th commandment to be so obviously sacrosanct, far and above any puny law of circumcision, that to actually include it in the doctrine of Christ was just a waste of time. Like, duh.

The only thing that takes so much and longly careful study and research, is how to make law for the people of God in Christ Jesus, where there is none plainly written as such. Which of course also results in coming up with transgression against said law, where there is none. And then of course such law makers must inevitably begin to judge them that obey not their law for to keep.

What the law makers need to do is to seriously state law that is written, and to whom it is written, rather than proclaiming what they think and say ought be law for all:

Desiring to be teachers of the law; understanding neither what they say, nor whereof they affirm.

Purposing a day off from work once every week is a fine idea. And if someone wants to take God's day of rest for example to do so, even better.

robert derrick

Apr 13, 2021
Houston, tx
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I beg to differ. It is true that the wages of sin is death and the sentence will not be carried out until judgement day, but not in the case of the man who picked up sticks on the sabbath. His sentence was immediate. Why? Was God so eager to destroy him or does God had other purposes in mind specially there are more people today who are seeking to join up in churches?

The Old Testament Sabbaths was to not do any kinds of work and in contrast, the New Testament Sabbaths is to do intense work. This is a hint folks for all Christians. Do as the Bereans who searched the Scripture to see if the Gospel Paul was preaching is so.

To God Be The Glory
the New Testament Sabbaths is to do intense work.

Though there is no such thing written in Scripture as 'New Testament Sabbaths', especially in contrast to Old Testament Sabbaths, yet this new spin is new.

So, intense work of study? of worship? of chastening our souls? How about catching up on a week's worth of sex in the marriage bed?

I like that last one. Lots.

robert derrick

Apr 13, 2021
Houston, tx
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The Holy Spirit writes on your heart the desire to do God's Commandments, not judge them. If you then vilify God's commandments the Spirit by which you operate is surely not God's.
Not possible to be today, and keep a Sabbath law, whether Saturday or Sunday:
Police. Military. Governor. Emergency ward. Fireman. No first responders at all. No sea/air rescue.

These things were never work of profession in the nation of Israel under the law of Moses.

They are now world over.

Why has no Sabbath Commando ever responded?

robert derrick

Apr 13, 2021
Houston, tx
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yes, definitely we can worship God any day and everyday, in fact He loves that BUT God explicitly declared also one day to which we are to assemble together one day a week on the Seventh Day Sabbath.

The Pharisees and the Sadducees wanting to temp Jesus asked Him to show them a sign.
He replied:
3) and in the morning, it will be foul weather, for the sky is red and lowring. O ye hypocrites, ye can discern the face of the sky; but can you not discern the signs of the times?
4) A wicked and adulteress generation seeketh after a sign: and there shall no sign be given unto it, but the prophet Jonas."

So right you are that there be no such confusion about days and times and weeks for God chose the Seventh Day to not do any kinds of work [which has never been abrogated].

However, in Matthew 28:1 God changed the seventh day from "no work of any kinds" to intense work on the first day of the week.

Already we see this example when Jesus healed the man with the withered hand on the first day of the week [Mark 3:1-5].

The true Christians gather together on the first day of the week as per Acts 20:7
Another example is found in John 5:5-16. I suggest you folks read the whole event for it is only a few verses long.

Today the true Christians assemble together in a church on the first day of the week to listen to the Gospel, break bread, give our tithes, go to hospitals to preach the Gospel etc... for the support of the church and to send out missionaries to the world to preach the Gospel. All these are our duty to do for our Lord Jesus Christ who gave us eternal life! Yes, indeed God changed th seventh day not to do any kings of work to the first day of the week to do intense work not as the seventh day that prohibited to do any kinds of work.The context of the seventh day of no work of any kinds to be done has never been abrogated. ONLY THE DAY HAS CHANGED FROM THE SEVENTH DAY TO THE FIRST DAY OF THE WEEK. FROM NO WORK TO INTENSE WORK!

In fact, we saw this change when Peter stood up and preached at Pentecost and 3,000 souls were saved. Did not Jesus said that we will do greater work than He? Did not Pentecost occurred on the first day of the week?

Folks if your desire is to teach specially in a forum setting make sure you have studied the subject matter you want to present by exhausting the Scripture that pertains to the subject matter only. Maybe then, and only then with prayer and guidance from the Holy Spirit you might get to the truth.

There is one other matter I would like to point out that is, why did the man who picked up sticks in Numbers 15 was ordered by God to be stoned to death? Why was the punishment so severe? No one responded and the few who did their responds were in error. This can only be seen spiritually [1 Corinthians 2:11-16].

To God Be The Glory
Police. Military. Governor. Emergency ward. Fireman. No first responders at all. No sea/air rescue.

These things were never work of profession in the nation of Israel under the law of Moses.

They are now world over.

quietthinker

May 4, 2018
FNQ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
I understand the Scripture I've offered. I wanted to know if YOU understood them. Your reply is insufficient. Many people claim they know the word of God but in reality they have a different interpretations from that of the Bible.

There is no shame in not understanding the word of God for we all have feet of clay.

Again I ask, have you done a study on the Scripture verses I've offered in post #954?

To God Be The Glory
Is it not obvious to you?....of course!

robert derrick

Apr 13, 2021
Houston, tx
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

He replied:

To God Be The Glory
The true Christians

Ah yes, I love it when that one is pulled out of the old bag of righteousness. I used to be one of those, including Sunday for worship only. (Except of course for the work of knocking on doors to invite to church, which was deemed not to be work, though it did bring in plenty of preacher profit over time. But that's another story)

And since, we are on the subject of 'true Christians' as defined by a 'true Christian':
If you are a man: wear shorts outside? Have hair touching your ears? Wear a t-shirt outside? Wash your car on a Sunday, or any such thing? Wear anything other than a watch and wedding or class ring?

If you are a woman: cut your hair at all? Wear pants? Wear skirts that do not cover the knees when sitting down? Wear any jewelry? Piercings?

For man or woman: Listen to anything other than Gospel music or sing anything other than song hymnals? Go to theatres? Public dancing? Swim in public with opposite sex?

There's plenty others I'm sure. I used to know them all and practise them all: as law of God for all Christians to obey.

And if there are any 'Christians' out there, that do not these things? They are just worldly compromisers, and hypocrites, who have not business calling themselves Christian.

quietthinker

May 4, 2018
FNQ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia

They are now world over.

I think your perception of what remembering the Sabbath consists of is used to excuse yourself in spite of Jesus defining it for those who would use any pretext to cast a poor light on its adherents.

robert derrick

Apr 13, 2021
Houston, tx
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

He replied:

To God Be The Glory

Intense work? Never read that in Scripture either. But hey, it's a start. So God did change His law afterall.

So, how much sweat must come to be deemed 'intense'? Sticks good, logs bad?

So, we first get a law made, now we get degrees of law made. How the carnal mind must work up a sweat to justify their law made in all circumstances.

They accused Jesus of working on the Sabbath, because they had made up such definition of 'work', that God never said.

Like a lawful Jew, Jesus never broke the Sabbath nor sinned against any law of Moses. And yet the super-righteous accused Him of such.

And so today, the lawful Christians have accusers akin to them of old, because they like the self-righteousness of old.

Load of reason for pride, if we look around and see a bunch of transgressors against our carnal law, that we say ought be obeyed outwardly by all, but Jesus never commanded His apostles to write.

BarneyFife

Dec 19, 2019
Central PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I'm not in a position to read God's mind. Perhaps you are. The wages of sin were death from the beginning:

Gen 2:17 KJV But of the tree of the knowledge of good and evil, thou shalt not eat of it: for in the day that thou eatest thereof thou shalt surely die.​

robert derrick

Apr 13, 2021
Houston, tx
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I think your perception of what remembering the Sabbath consists of is used to excuse yourself in spite of Jesus defining it for those who would use any pretext to cast a poor light on its adherents.
That was a long and almost comprehensible non-answer.

Disagreement I don't mind at all. Pseudo-intellectual side-stepping I do.

The only poor light being cast is that of someone somehow having their feelings hurt by a directly applicable question.

When I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child: but when I became a man, I put away childish things.

Seeing then that we have such hope, we use great plainness of speech.

robert derrick

Apr 13, 2021
Houston, tx
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

He replied:

To God Be The Glory
Already we see this example when Jesus...Another example is found in John 5:5-16.

Examples of good people make for good examples, not good law and commandment.

Good examples can be followed as the opportunity arises: law and commandment make no such allowances.

Either obey and live, or not obey and die.

The man brought on the stretcher was initially there to keep the law of Sabbath: i.e. no excuses.

Afterward, he had them lower him down through the roof, because he would see Jesus. That was the faith He was looking for. Not the outward obedience to a law of Moses, given to the Israel of the rist covenant.

quietthinker

May 4, 2018
FNQ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
That was a long and almost comprehensible non-answer.

Disagreement I don't mind at all. Pseudo-intellectual side-stepping I do.

The only poor light being cast is that of someone somehow having their feelings hurt by a directly applicable question.

When I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child: but when I became a man, I put away childish things.

Seeing then that we have such hope, we use great plainness of speech.
If you don't understand earthly things, how will you understand heavenly things?.....Jesus.

JunChosen

Apr 7, 2020
Los Angeles
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Is it not obvious to you?....of course!

Since you deliberately evade the Scripture passages I asked you to expound upon, I gather then that you do not know, nor understand, nor have the knowledge what those Scripture verses mean! Therefore, please do not reply to my posts any longer.

Remember this verse when others asks you for a reason of the hope that lies in you. That is if you are truly a follower of Christ.

"But sanctify the Lord God in your heart: and be ready always to give an answer to every man that asketh you a reason of the hope that is in you with meekness and fear."

To God Be The Glory

quietthinker

May 4, 2018
FNQ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Since you deliberately evade the Scripture passages I asked you to expound upon, I gather then that you do not know, nor understand, nor have the knowledge what those Scripture verses mean! Therefore, please do not reply to my posts any longer.

Remember this verse when others asks you for a reason of the hope that lies in you. That is if you are truly a follower of Christ.

"But sanctify the Lord God in your heart: and be ready always to give an answer to every man that asketh you a reason of the hope that is in you with meekness and fear."

To God Be The Glory
I am sorry for the misunderstanding. To your question, have I studied the passages supplied? I replied 'of course'. Now, would you like to take it further?

Last edited:

Brakelite

Feb 6, 2020
Melbourne
brakelite.wordpress.com
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia

To God Be The Glory
Those scriptures aren't a mystery. There is nothing secret or hidden message. And none of them suggest that God or the apostles removed the sanctity of the Sabbath to any other day. And the church had no authority to do that later either. Once Christ died, thus validating the new testament in His blood, no more changes to that testament could be affected by anyone. It was sealed. So if Jesus didn't remove the holiness away from the Sabbath in favor of the first day before He died, then it didn't happen.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: GerhardEbersoehn

BarneyFife

Dec 19, 2019
Central PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Therefore, please do not reply to my posts any longer.
The way to get someone to stop replying to your posts is to stop quoting and posting to them, yourself--not by submitting a passive-aggressive pseudo-order. Welcome to ChristianityBoard!!! :)