God changed Seventh Day Sabbath Worship to First Day of the Week

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Bob Estey

Aug 18, 2021
Sparks, Nevada
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
<<Since God never told us which day is the last day of the week>> You MUST be lying. If you ever read three chapters into the Bible on condition you could already count to six days and were able to learn that every day after the previous one began with the evening and adjacent following night and ended with the morning and adjacent following daylight, you MUST have seen the instance where after the Sixth Day "God in the evening cool of --the Seventh-- Day" went to commune and speak with Adam and Eve for the SECOND time.

But some are GIVEN EYES NOT TO SEE; so no surprise if you have never read thus far into the Bible, or, MUST be lying, saying <<God never told us which day is the last day of the week>>.
View attachment 16738
No, I am not lying. I am unaware of anywhere in the Bible where the Lord tells us which day is the last day of the week.

BarneyFife

Dec 19, 2019
Central PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You forgot verses 17 and 18
Verse 17... Ye therefore, beloved, seeing ye know these things before... [paraphrased]
Verse 18... But grow in grace, and in the knowledge of our Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ... [paraphrased]

"My people are destroyed for lack of knowledge..." [paraphrased]

To God Be The Glory
I didn't forget anything, thank you.

The same guy wrote this, which definitely applies to both of us--I'm no elitist:

And if anyone thinks that he knows anything, he knows nothing yet as he ought to know. (1 Corinthians 8:2)​

Bob Estey

Aug 18, 2021
Sparks, Nevada
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
And there it is: IMPOSE

A warning is always "judging," "forcing,"or "imposing."

NOT ONCE HAS THE SABBATH BEEN "IMPOSED" ON ANYONE HERE.

NOT ONCE

IN FACT, NO ONE HAS EVER IMPOSED ANYTHING ON ME HERE BECAUSE IT'S JUST A FORUM AND THE WORST THING THAT COULD HAPPEN IS BANNING. I KNOW HOW TO CLOSE A TAB IN MY BROWSER. I HOPE EVERYONE ELSE DOES.
I don't think I said it was. I just said it would be wrong to (impose). Sometimes I feel some pass judgment on me for believing as I do.

BarneyFife

Dec 19, 2019
Central PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I don't think I said it was. I just said it would be wrong to (impose). Sometimes I feel some pass judgment on me for believing as I do.
Yes, you're definitely a victim of judgment. You weren't even implying that some here might be trying to impose the Sabbath on you, were you?

Reactions: GerhardEbersoehn

GerhardEbersoehn

Jan 14, 2014
Johannesburg
www.biblestudents.co.za
Faith
Christian
Country
South Africa
16. How does God feel about religious leaders ignoring the Sabbath?
“Her priests have violated My law and profaned My holy things; they have not distinguished between the holy and unholy … and they have hidden their eyes from My Sabbaths, so that I am profaned among them. … Therefore I have poured out My indignation on them” (Ezekiel 22:26, 31).

Thank you, Barny Fife. I believe God is also saying thanks to you.

Reactions: BarneyFife

BarneyFife

Dec 19, 2019
Central PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Some teach that through various calendar changes and other factors, the true seventh day of the week cannot be accurately identified. But this is simply not true. Here are four evidences that help us identify the true Sabbath today:

1. The sixth day, seventh day, first day ...
According to Scripture, Christ died on Friday, the sixth day of the week, and rose on Sunday, the first day of the week. Practically all churches acknowledge this fact when they observe Good Friday and Easter Sunday. Here is the Bible evidence:

"This man went to Pilate and asked for the body of Jesus. Then he took it down, wrapped it in linen, and laid it in a tomb that was hewn out of the rock, where no one had ever lain before. That day was the Preparation, and the Sabbath drew near" (Luke 23:52-54). This is strong evidence that Jesus died the day directly before the Sabbath. It was called "the preparation day" because it was the time to get ready for the Sabbath.

Let's now look at the next few verses: "And the women who had come with Him from Galilee followed after, and they observed the tomb and how His body was laid. Then they returned and prepared spices and fragrant oils. And they rested on the Sabbath according to the commandment" (vv. 55, 56). Please notice that the women rested over the Sabbath "according to the commandment." The commandment says, "The seventh day is the Sabbath" (Exodus 20:10), so we know they were observing the seventh day (Saturday).

The very next verse says, "Now on the first day of the week, very early in the morning, they, and certain other women with them, came to the tomb bringing the spices which they had prepared. But they found the stone rolled away from the tomb" (Luke 24:1, 2).

How clearly these three consecutive days are described for us! Jesus died on Friday, the preparation day, the sixth day of the week. He rested in the tomb, "according to the commandment," on Saturday, the Sabbath, the seventh day of the week. And then Jesus rose from the grave on Sunday, Easter Sunday, the first day of the week.

Anyone who can locate Good Friday or Easter Sunday will have absolutely no difficulty finding the true Sabbath 'resting' right between them!

2. Calendar changes haven't changed the seventh day.
Some suggest that a calendar change made by Pope Gregory XIII means the days of the week have been confused and, therefore, we can't know the true seventh day today. It's true that, in 1582, Pope Gregory made a change to the calendar. (Our calendar today is called the Gregorian calendar because of this change.) However, this change did not interfere with the weekly cycle.

What exactly did Pope Gregory do to the calendar? Before 1582 the Julian calendar had been in effect, instituted by Julius Caesar around 46 BC. But the Julian calendar had calculated the length of the year as 365-1/4 days, but the year is actually eleven minutes fewer than 365-1/4 days. Those eleven minutes accumulated, and by 1582, the numbering of the calendar was ten days out of harmony with the solar system. Gregory simply dropped those ten days out of the numbering of the calendar. It was Thursday, October 4, 1582, and the next day, Friday, should have been October 5. But Gregory made it October 15 instead, dropping exactly ten days to bring the calendar back into harmony with the heavenly bodies.

Did Pope Gregory's calendar change really confuse the days of the week? No. Friday still followed Thursday, and Saturday still followed Friday. The same seventh day remained, and the weekly cycle was not disturbed. So when we keep the Sabbath on Saturday, we can be positive that our seventh day of the week is the same seventh day of the week that Jesus observed - which He did every week, according to Luke 4:16.

3. The seventh day is named as a 'rest day' in many languages.
The word for "Sabbath" in many languages spoken around the world is the very word used to name the seventh-day of the week - known as Saturday by English-speaking nations like the United States. For example, the Spanish word for "Saturday" is "Sábado," which means "Sabbath." When these languages originated long, long ago, the seventh day of the week - Saturday - was recognized as the Sabbath day, and Sabbath was incorporated into the very name of the day.

4. Jews have kept the seventh day as Sabbath for millennia.
Another fascinating evidence is the long history and practice of the oldest ethnic and religious group on earth helps us to accurately identify the seventh day. The Jewish people have been observing the Sabbath on the seventh day from the time of Abraham, and they still keep it today. Here is a whole nation - millions of individuals - who have been counting off time meticulously, week after week, for thousands of years. Could they have lost track? Not likely! The only way they could have lost a whole day of the week would have been for the entire nation to have slept an extra 24 hours and for no one to tell them about it afterward!

There has been no change or loss of the Sabbath day since God created it in Genesis. The origin of the week is found in the creation story, and there is no astronomical reason for measuring time in cycles of seven days. The seventh-day Sabbath is the purposeful design of God and has been miraculously preserved throughout time - and it will be preserved and observed throughout all eternity:

"'For as the new heavens and the new earth, which I will make shall remain before Me, says the LORD, so shall your descendants and your name remain. And it shall come to pass that from one New Moon to another, and from one Sabbath to another, all flesh shall come to worship before Me,' says the LORD" (Isaiah 66:22, 23).

BarneyFife

Dec 19, 2019
Central PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
'Thus the heavens and the earth, and all the host of them, were finished. And on the seventh day God ended His work which He had done, and He rested on the seventh day from all His work which He had done. Then God blessed the seventh day and sanctified it, because in it He rested from all His work which God had created and made' (Genesis 2:1-3).

According to this Scripture
1. The time when God made the Sabbath was at the end of Creation week.

2. The way in which God made the Sabbath was by taking a day - the seventh day - and resting on it, blessing it, and sanctifying it.

3. The material out of which He made the Sabbath was the seventh day itself. He took that day, and out of it made the Sabbath. The Sabbath was not something He placed on the day. It is the day itself. 'The seventh day is the Sabbath of the LORD your God' (Exodus 20:10, emphasis supplied).

We are also not commanded to 'remember the Sabbath, to keep it holy.' Rather, the command is, 'Remember the Sabbath day, to keep it [the day] holy' (Exodus 20:8, emphasis supplied). The Sabbath is not something apart from the day, which can be shifted about and perhaps placed on another day. It is the day itself - the seventh day.

We often hear about a Sabbath institution. But the Bible never speaks of a Sabbath institution. It talks about the Sabbath day. There is no such thing as a Sabbath institution that was blessed and made holy for the benefit of humanity, apart from the day. It was the day that was blessed and made holy; and it is the day that thus became the Sabbath.

We can be sure, then, that the day God blessed can never be taken from the Sabbath, and the Sabbath can never be taken from the day that God blessed. These cannot be separated because they are one. The Sabbath cannot be just any day of the week, because the seventh day is the Sabbath, and the Sabbath is the seventh day.

Christ and the Sabbath
The creator of the Sabbath is the same creator of the Christian faith - Jesus Christ, the Son of God. He is the one who brought the world into existence, making it in six days. He then rested on the seventh day, and blessed that day, and made it holy.

The Scripture says, 'In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. The same was in the beginning with God. All things were made by him; and without him was not any thing made that was made. ... He was in the world, and the world was made by him, and the world knew him not. ... The Word was made flesh, and dwelt among us, (and we beheld his glory, the glory as of the only begotten of the Father,) full of grace and truth' (John 1:1-3, 10, 14 KJV).

'The Son of His love ... He is the image of the invisible God, the firstborn over all creation. For by Him all things were created that are in heaven and that are on earth, visible and invisible, whether thrones or dominions or principalities or powers. All things were created through Him and for Him' (Colossians 1:13, 15, 16).

Jesus also made the Sabbath for the entire human race, not for one section or one nation. 'The Sabbath was made for man' (Mark 2:27).

BarneyFife

Dec 19, 2019
Central PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Upon tables of stone God wrote the great, unchanging law of the ages. Every word was serious and meaningful. Not one line was ambiguous or mysterious. Christians and non-Christians, educated and uneducated, have no problem understanding the simple, clear words of the Ten Commandments. God meant what He said and said what He meant.

Most of the ten begin with the same words: "You shall not," but right in the heart of the law, we find the fourth commandment introduced with the word "Remember." Why is this one different? God was commanding His people to call something to memory that existed but had been forgotten. Genesis describes the origin of the Sabbath in these words: "Thus the heavens and the earth, and all the host of them, were finished. And on the seventh day God ended His work which He had done. ... Then God blessed the seventh day and sanctified it" (Genesis 2:1-3).

Which day did God bless and sanctify? The seventh day. How was it to be kept holy? By resting. Could any of the other six days be kept holy? No. Why? Because God commanded work on those days, not rest. Does God's blessing make a difference? Of course. This is why parents pray for God to bless their children. They believe it makes a difference. The seventh day is different from all the other six days because it carries God's blessing.

The seventh day is akin to celebrating the birthday of the world, a memorial of a mighty act. The Sabbath memorial could never truly be changed because it points back to an established event in history. In the United States, for instance, July 4 is Independence Day. Can it be changed? No. Because the Declaration of Independence was signed on July 4, 1776. Your birthday cannot be changed, either. It is a memorial of your birth, which happened on a set day. History would have to run through again to change your birthday, to change Independence Day, or to change the Sabbath day. We can call another day Independence Day, and we can call another day the Sabbath, but that does not make it so.

Did God ever give man the privilege of choosing his own day of rest? He did not. In fact, God confirmed in the Bible that the Sabbath was settled and sealed by His own divine selection and should not be tampered with. Read Exodus 16 concerning the giving of manna. For 40 years God worked three miracles every week to show Israel which day was holy:

(1) He rained manna from heaven for His people to eat.
(2) It did not fall on the seventh day.
(3) Although it spoiled if kept overnight, it remained sweet and fresh when kept over the seventh day.

"Now it happened that some of the people went out on the seventh day to gather, but they found none. And the Lord said to Moses, "How long do you refuse to keep My commandments and My laws?" (Exodus 16:27, 28).

Perhaps these people had the same idea as many modern-day Christians and thought another day could be kept just as well as the seventh day. Maybe they were planning to observe the first day of the week, or some other day that was more convenient to them. What happened? God immediately and clearly declared that they were breaking His law. Would God say the same thing today? Yes. He is the same yesterday, today, and forever (Hebrews 13:8). "I am the Lord, I do not change" (Malachi 3:6).

God made it very clear that, whatever their selfish justification for it, those who went out to work on the Sabbath were guilty of breaking His law. James explained that it is a sin to break even one of the Ten Commandments: 'For whoever shall keep the whole law, and yet stumble in one point, he is guilty of all. For He who said, "Do not commit adultery," also said, "Do not murder." Now if you do not commit adultery, but you do murder, you have become a transgressor of the law' (James 2:10, 11).

Can't we keep holy any day of the week? By this argument Satan is preparing the world to accept a substitute for the Sabbath that God clearly commanded.

GerhardEbersoehn

Jan 14, 2014
Johannesburg
www.biblestudents.co.za
Faith
Christian
Country
South Africa
I have an open mind if you'd care to enlighten me.
Many posts on CBforums. Just above, e.g..
It's so sad that a perfectly positive New Testament New Covenant Declaration of Christian optimism, hope, faith and joy, got so totally corrupted its original character cannot be uncovered -- except through the two edged SWORD of the Word of God.

Reactions: BarneyFife

BarneyFife

Dec 19, 2019
Central PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Many posts on CBforums. Just above, e.g..
It's so sad that a perfectly positive New Testament New Covenant Declaration of Christian optimism, hope, faith and joy, got so totally corrupted its original character cannot be uncovered -- except through the two edged SWORD of the Word of God.
It sounds good but I'm not sure I'm following you. It's kinda vague. Is it about milk and meat?