GOD in the OT and GOD in the NT

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Status
Not open for further replies.

ElieG12

Oct 8, 2022
Atlanta
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Let's call Jehovah the name of God in the OT, as it is the name in English.

In the Greek manuscripts of the NT that we have so far we do not find the Hebrew name of GOD, although in Hebrew translations of the NT it does appear.

Is the Hebrew GOD, Jehovah, mentioned in the NT in any other way than by his name? What do you tell me?

BARNEY BRIGHT

Oct 29, 2017
Thomaston Georgia
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

In the Greek manuscripts of the NT that we have so far we do not find the Hebrew name of GOD, although in Hebrew translations of the NT it does appear.

Is the Hebrew GOD, Jehovah, mentioned in the NT in any other way than by his name? What do you tell me?

THE position of God’s name YHWH is unshakable in the Hebrew Scriptures, the “Old Testament.” Although the Jews eventually stopped pronouncing it, their religious beliefs prevented them from removing the name when they made copies of older manuscripts of the Bible. So the Hebrew Scriptures contain God’s name YHWH more often than any other name.

With the Christian Greek Scriptures, the “New Testament,” the situation is different. Manuscripts of the book of Revelation (the last book of the Bible) have God’s name in its abbreviated form, “Jah,” (in the word “Hallelujah”). But apart from that, no ancient Greek manuscript that we possess today of the books from Matthew to Revelation contains God’s name YHWH in full. Does that mean that the name should not be there? That would be surprising in view of the fact that Jesus’ followers recognized the importance of God’s name YHWH, and Jesus taught us to pray for God’s name to be sanctified. So what happened?

To understand this, remember that the manuscripts of the Christian Greek Scriptures that we possess today are not the originals. The actual books written by Matthew, Luke and the other Bible writers were well used and quickly wore out. So, copies were made, and when those wore out, further copies were made of those copies. This is what we would expect, since the copies were usually made to be used, not preserved.

There are thousands of copies of the Christian Greek Scriptures in existence today, but most of them were made during or after the fourth century of our Common Era. This suggests a possibility: Did something happen to the text of the Christian Greek Scriptures before the fourth century that resulted in the omission of God’s name YHWH? The facts prove that something did.

We can be sure that the apostle Matthew included God’s name YHWH in his Gospel. Why? Because he wrote it originally in Hebrew. In the fourth century, Jerome, who translated the Latin Vulgate, reported: “Matthew, who is also Levi, and who from a publican came to be an apostle, first of all composed a Gospel of Christ in Judaea in the Hebrew language . . . Who translated it after that in Greek is not sufficiently ascertained. Moreover, the Hebrew itself is preserved to this day in the library at Caesarea.”

Since Matthew wrote in Hebrew, it is inconceivable that he did not use God’s name YHWH, especially when quoting from parts of the “Old Testament” that contained the name YHWH. However, other writers of the second part of the Bible wrote for a worldwide audience in the international language of that time, Greek. Hence, they did not quote from the original Hebrew writings but from the Septuagint Greek version. And even Matthew’s Gospel was eventually translated into Greek. Would God’s name YHWH have appeared in these Greek writings?

Well, some very old fragments of the Septuagint Version that actually existed in Jesus’ day have survived down to our day, and it is noteworthy that the personal name of God YHWH appeared in them. The New International Dictionary of New Testament Theology Volume 2 page 512 says: “Recent textual discoveries cast doubt on the idea that the compilers of the LXX [Septuagint] translated the tetragrammaton YHWH by Kyrios. The oldest LXX MSS (fragments) now available to us have the tetragrammaton written in Heb[rew] characters in the G[ree]k text. This custom was retained by later Jewish translators of the O[ld] T[estament] in the first centuries A.D.” Therefore, whether Jesus and his disciples read the Scriptures in Hebrew or Greek, they would come across the divine name YHWH.

Professor George Howard, of the University of Georgia, U.S.A., made this comment: “When the Septuagint which the New Testament church used and quoted contained the Hebrew form of the divine name, the New Testament writers no doubt included the Tetragrammaton in their quotations.” (Biblical Archaeology Review, March 1978, page 14) What authority would they have had to do otherwise?

God’s name YHWH remained in Greek translations of the “Old Testament” for a while longer. In the first half of the second century C.E., the Jewish proselyte Aquila made a new translation of the Hebrew Scriptures into Greek, and in this he represented God’s name by the Tetragrammaton in ancient Hebrew characters. In the third century, Origen wrote: “And in the most accurate manuscripts THE NAME occurs in Hebrew characters, yet not in today’s Hebrew [characters], but in the most ancient ones.”

Even in the fourth century, Jerome writes in his prologue to the books of Samuel and Kings: “And we find the name of God, the Tetragrammaton [יהוה], in certain Greek volumes even to this day expressed in ancient letters.”

By this time, however, the apostasy foretold by Jesus had taken shape, and the name, although appearing in manuscripts, was used less and less. (Matthew 13:24-30; Acts 20:29, 30) Eventually, many readers did not even recognize what it was and Jerome reports that in his time “certain ignorant ones, because of the similarity of the characters, when they would find [the Tetragrammaton] in Greek books, were accustomed to read ΠΙΠΙ.”

In later copies of the Septuagint, God’s name was removed and words like “God” (Theos) and “Lord” (Kyrios) were substituted. We know that this happened because we have early fragments of the Septuagint where God’s name YHWH was included and later copies of those same parts of the Septuagint where God’s name has been removed.

The same thing occurred in the “New Testament,” or Christian Greek Scriptures. Professor George Howard goes on to say: “When the Hebrew form for the divine name was eliminated in favor of Greek substitutes in the Septuagint, it was eliminated also from the New Testament quotations of the Septuagint. . . . Before long the divine name was lost to the Gentile church except insofar as it was reflected in the contracted surrogates or remembered by scholars.”

So, while Jews refused to pronounce God’s name YHWH, the apostate Christian church managed to remove it completely from Greek language manuscripts of both parts of the Bible, as well as from other language versions.

Reactions: tigger 2

lightlysalted

Jul 30, 2022
DownEast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Censorship.
I was thinking about this earlier today.

Act 4:16 Saying, What shall we do to these men? for that indeed a notable miracle hath been done by them is manifest to all them that dwell in Jerusalem; and we cannot deny it.
Act 4:17 But that it spread no further among the people, let us straitly threaten them, that they speak henceforth to no man in this name.
Act 4:18 And they called them, and commanded them not to speak at all nor teach in the name of Jesus.

Censorship has been around for a very long time. Perhaps the Jews told people that pronouncing YHWH was Blasphemy and not to speak his name?

It's coming round again and is already here.

Be prepared to stand.
hugs

Reactions: BeyondET

BARNEY BRIGHT

Oct 29, 2017
Thomaston Georgia
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Censorship.
I was thinking about this earlier today.

Act 4:16 Saying, What shall we do to these men? for that indeed a notable miracle hath been done by them is manifest to all them that dwell in Jerusalem; and we cannot deny it.
Act 4:17 But that it spread no further among the people, let us straitly threaten them, that they speak henceforth to no man in this name.
Act 4:18 And they called them, and commanded them not to speak at all nor teach in the name of Jesus.

Censorship has been around for a very long time. Perhaps the Jews told people that pronouncing YHWH was Blasphemy and not to speak his name?

It's coming round again and is already here.

Be prepared to stand.
hugs

It really doesn't matter what reason imperfect humans come up with for not using or pronouncing God's name. It doesn't matter what reason imperfect humans have for taking God's name YHWH out of the scriptures or leaving it out of the scriptures. They're going by imperfect human wisdom. God is the one who put his name YHWH in the scriptures. The scriptures show that the true God YHWH wanted his name known by his enemies, to know his name is YHWH. God's prophet's had no problem letting YHWH God enemies know the true God name YHWH. The true God YHWH wanted his people to know that their God was the true God who was the source of all life and that his name was YHWH.

lightlysalted

Jul 30, 2022
DownEast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It really doesn't matter what reason imperfect humans come up with for not using or pronouncing God's name. It doesn't matter what reason imperfect humans have for taking God's name YHWH out of the scriptures or leaving it out of the scriptures. They're going by imperfect human wisdom. God is the one who put his name YHWH in the scriptures. The scriptures show that the true God YHWH wanted his name known by his enemies, to know his name is YHWH. God's prophet's had no problem letting YHWH God enemies know the true God name YHWH. The true God YHWH wanted his people to know that their God was the true God who was the source of all life and that his name was YHWH.
But it was not always known:
Exo 6:3 And I appeared unto Abraham, unto Isaac, and unto Jacob, by the name of God Almighty, but by my name JEHOVAH was I not known to them.

Why do you suppose YHWH did not make this name known to Abraham, Isaac and Jacob?
Why was this name revealed to Moses?
If God changed his name once before, how many other names could he have and to what peoples?
Is it possible that God's name was changed again and now is known by the name of Jesus?

Why did he change his name from God Almighty that he was known of by his friend Abraham, to YHWH for Moses?
Why change the name?

hugs

BARNEY BRIGHT

Oct 29, 2017
Thomaston Georgia
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
But it was not always known:
Exo 6:3 And I appeared unto Abraham, unto Isaac, and unto Jacob, by the name of God Almighty, but by my name JEHOVAH was I not known to them.

Why do you suppose YHWH did not make this name known to Abraham, Isaac and Jacob?
Why was this name revealed to Moses?
If God changed his name once before, how many other names could he have and to what peoples?
Is it possible that God's name was changed again and now is known by the name of Jesus?

Why did he change his name from God Almighty that he was known of by his friend Abraham, to YHWH for Moses?
Why change the name?

hugs

I disagree, YHWH God used the title “God Almighty” (El Shaddai) when making his promise to Abraham concerning the birth of Isaac, a promise requiring that Abraham have great faith in God’s power to carry out that promise. It was thereafter used when God was spoken of as the one who would bless Isaac and Jacob as heirs of the Abrahamic covenant..(Genesis17:1; 28:3; 35:11; 48:3)

In harmony with this, YHWH God could later say to Moses: “I used to appear to Abraham, Isaac and Jacob as God Almighty [El Shaddai], but as respects my name YHWH I did not make myself known to them.” (Exodus 6:3) This could not mean that the name YHWH was unknown to Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob since it was frequently used by them as well as by others before them. (Genesis 4:1, 26; 14:22; 27:27; 28:16) In fact, in the book of Genesis, which relates the lives of Abraham, Isaac and Jacob, the word “Almighty” occurs only 6 times, whereas the personal name YHWH was written 172 times in the original Hebrew text. Yet, while Abraham, Isaac and Jacob had come to appreciate by personal experience God’s right to and qualifications for the title of “the Almighty One,” they had not had opportunity to appreciate the full meaning and implications of his personal name, YHWH. In this regard, The Illustrated Bible Dictionary Volume 1, page 572 comments: “The former revelation, to Abraham, Isaac and Jacob, concerned promises belonging to a distant future; it supposed that they should be assured that He, YHWH, was such a God as was competent to fulfill them. The revelation at the bush was greater and more intimate, God’s power and immediate and continuing presence with them being all wrapped up in the familiar name of YHWH.”

Exodus 3:13-16 and Exodus 6:3 are often misapplied to mean that the true God name YHWH was first revealed to Moses sometime prior to the Exodus from Egypt. True, Moses raised the question: “Suppose I am now come to the sons of Israel and I do say to them, ‘The God of your forefathers has sent me to you,’ and they do say to me, ‘What is his name?’ What shall I say to them?” But this does not mean that he or the Israelites did not know the true God name was YHWH.The very name of Moses’ mother Jochebed means, possibly, “YHWH Is Glory.” (Ex 6:20) Moses’ question likely was related to the circumstances in which the sons of Israel found themselves. They had been in hard slavery for many decades with no sign of any relief. Doubt, discouragement, and weakness of faith in God’s power and purpose to deliver them had very likely infiltrated their ranks. (Note also Ezekiel 20:7, 8.) For Moses simply to say he came in the name of “God” (Elohim or the “Sovereign Lord” (Adhonai) therefore might not have meant much to the suffering Israelites. They knew the Egyptians had their own gods and lords and doubtless heard taunts from the Egyptians that their gods were superior to the God of the Israelites.

Then, too, we must keep in mind that names then had real meaning and were not just “labels” to identify an individual as today. Moses knew that Abram’s name (meaning “Father Is High (Exalted)”) was changed to Abraham (meaning “Father of a Crowd (Multitude)”), the change being made because of God’s purpose concerning Abraham. So, too, the name of Sarai was changed to Sarah and that of Jacob to Israel; in each case the change revealed something fundamental and prophetic about God’s purpose concerning them. Moses may well have wondered if YHWH God would now reveal himself under some new name to throw light on his purpose toward Israel. Moses’ going to the Israelites in the “name” of the One who sent him meant being the representative of that One, and the greatness of the authority with which Moses would speak would be determined by or be commensurate with that name and what it represented. (Compare Exodus 23:20, 21; 1Samuel 17:45.) So, Moses’ question was a meaningful one.

God’s reply in Hebrew was: Ehyeh Asher Ehyeh. Some translations render this as “I AM THAT I AM.” However, it is to be noted that the Hebrew verb hayah, from which the word Ehyeh is drawn, does not mean simply “be.” Rather, it mens “become,” or “prove to be.” The reference here is not to God’s self-existence but to what he has in mind to become toward others. Therefore, the New World Translation properly renders the Hebrew expression Ehyeh Asher Ehyeh as “I SHALL PROVE TO BE WHAT I SHALL PROVE TO BE.” YHWH God thereafter added: “This is what you are to say to the sons of Israel, ‘I SHALL PROVE TO BE has sent me to you.’”(Exodus 3:14)

That this meant no change in God’s name, but only an additional insight into God’s personality, is seen from his further words: “This is what you are to say to the sons of Israel, ‘YHWH the God of your forefathers, the God of Abraham, the God of Isaac and the God of Jacob, has sent me to you.’ This is my name to time indefinite, and this is the memorial of me to generation after generation.” (Exodus 3:15; compare Psalm 135:13; Hosea 12:5.) The name YHWH comes from a Hebrew verb that means “to become,” and a number of scholars suggest that the name means “He Causes to Become.” This definition well fits YHWH God role as the Creator of all things and the Fulfiller of his purpose. Only the true God could rightly and authentically bear such a name.

This aids one in understanding the sense of YHWH God later statement to Moses: “I am YHWH. And I used to appear to Abraham, Isaac and Jacob as God Almighty, but as respects my name YHWH I did not make myself known to them.” (Exodus 6:2, 3) Since the name YHWH was used many times by Abraham Isaac and Jacob who were ancestors of Moses, it is evident that God meant that he manifested himself to them in the capacity of YHWH God only in a limited way. To illustrate this, those who had known the man Abram could hardly be said to have really known him as Abraham (meaning “Father of a Crowd (Multitude)”) while he had but one son, Ishmael. When Isaac and other sons were born and began producing offspring, the name Abraham took on greater meaning or import. So, too, the name YHWH would now take on expanded meaning for the Israelites.

To “know,” therefore, does not necessarily mean merely to be acquainted with or cognizant of something or someone. The foolish Nabal knew David’s name but still asked, “Who is David?” in the sense of asking, “What does he amount to?” (1Samuel 25:9-11; compare 2Samuel 8:13.) So, too, Pharaoh had said to Moses: “Who is YHWH, so that I should obey his voice to send Israel away? I do not know YHWH at all and, what is more, I am not going to send Israel away.” (Exodus 5:1, 2) By that, Pharaoh evidently meant that he did not know YHWH God as the true God or as having any authority over Egypt’s king and his affairs, nor as having any might to enforce His will as announced by Moses and Aaron. But now Pharaoh and all Egypt, along with the Israelites, would come to know the real meaning of that name, the person it represented. As YHWH God showed Moses, this would result from God’s carrying out His purpose toward Israel, liberating them, giving them the Promised Land, and thereby fulfilling His covenant with their forefathers. In this way, as God said, “You will certainly know that I am YHWH your God.”(Exodus 6:4-8)

Last edited:
Reactions: lightlysalted

ElieG12

Oct 8, 2022
Atlanta
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The reason I opened this topic is that in my study of the book of Acts I have found direct references to Jehovah, even though his name is not specifically mentioned. The most interesting thing about the matter is that although the name is not mentioned, the referenced passages of the OT do mention him, and that forces me to think: why do Christians ignore the God of the OT if in the NT they have direct references to him?

I mention one of the examples that I have found:

(KJV) Acts 4:23 And being let go, they went to their own company, and reported all that the chief priests and elders had said unto them.
24 And when they heard that, they lifted up their voice to God with one accord, and said,

Lord, thou art God, which hast made heaven, and earth, and the sea, and all that in them is:
25 Who by the mouth of thy servant David hast said, Why did the heathen rage, and the people imagine vain things?
26 The kings of the earth stood up, and the rulers were gathered together against the Lord, and against his Christ.

27 For of a truth against thy holy child Jesus, whom thou hast anointed, both Herod, and Pontius Pilate, with the Gentiles, and the people of Israel, were gathered together,
28 For to do whatsoever thy hand and thy counsel determined before to be done.
29 And now, Lord, behold their threatenings: and grant unto thy servants, that with all boldness they may speak thy word,
30 By stretching forth thine hand to heal; and that signs and wonders may be done by the name of thy holy child Jesus.

That prayer of the apostles is addressed to Jehovah, and they mention Ps. 2:1,2 where Jehovah's name is specifically mentioned. Talking to Jehovah about Jesus, they tell Jehovah that the nations have gathered against Him and against his Christ (Messiah or Anointed).

Obviously the apostles regarded Jehovah as Sovereign Lord (compare Acts 4:24 in other translations of the Bible), and Jesus as his Anointed One (in other versions "servant" is used in verses 27 and 30, Acts 4). Why do most Christians today ignore whom the apostles respected in such a way?

Last edited:

ElieG12

Oct 8, 2022
Atlanta
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Did you know that although the name of Jehovah does not appear in almost any version of the modern NT, it is never stopped speaking of him in the Christian Scriptures with other titles and descriptive terms that perfectly distinguish Him from Jesus, his Son?

Here are some of them:

1) "the God of Abraham, Isaac and Jacob" (Acts 3:13; Luke 20:37; Mark 12:26),

2) "the God of the ancestors of the Jews" (Acts 5:30),

3) "the Majesty" (Heb. 1:3; 8:1),

4) "Sovereign Lord" (Luke 2:29; Acts 4:24),

5) "Lord of heaven and earth" (Matt. 11:25; Luke 10:21)

... and others.

When you read the Bible passages I am citing, you will see that the first-century Christians perfectly distinguished Jehovah from Jesus.

ElieG12

Oct 8, 2022
Atlanta
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
If we read the Pentateuch carefully, we will realize that Jehovah told Moses that he would raise up a prophet like himself in the future:

Deut. 18:15 Jehovah your God will raise up for you from among your brothers a prophet like me. You must listen to him. 16 This is in response to what you asked of Jehovah your God in Horʹeb on the day of the assembly when you said, ‘Do not let me hear the voice of Jehovah my God or see this great fire anymore, so that I do not die.’ 17 Then Jehovah said to me, ‘What they have said is good. 18 I will raise up for them from the midst of their brothers a prophet like you, and I will put my words in his mouth, and he will speak to them all that I command him. 19 Indeed, I will require an account from the man who will not listen to my words that he will speak in my name.

We know that this Moses-like profet was Jesus, the Messiah, because the NT tells us so:

(The Bible in Living English) Acts 3:18 but what God had announced beforehand through the mouths of all the prophets, that his Christ should suffer, he thus fulfilled. 19 So repent and turn back so as to have your sins wiped out, that seasons of refreshing may come from the presence of the Lord 20 and that he may send the Christ appointed for you, Jesus, 21 whom heaven must receive until the times for putting into effect everything that God has spoken of through the mouths of his holy prophets from of old. 22 Moses said ‘The Lord God will raise up for you from among your brothers a prophet, like me; to him you shall listen in everything that he speaks of to you; 23 and every soul that does not listen to that prophet shall be rooted out from the people’; 24 and so did all the prophets, from Samuel on, as many as spoke, announce these days.

... so we can see Jehovah again in the NT, sending Jesus as his prophet "like Moses", just as he had promised more than 1500 years before to Moses and his people Israel.

Last edited:

ElieG12

Oct 8, 2022
Atlanta
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Another way to identify Jehovah in the NT is related to this Hebrew text:

Psal.110:1 Jehovah declared to my Lord:
“Sit at my right hand
Until I place your enemies as a stool for your feet.”

According to that Psalm, who would sit Jesus at the right hand of Him?

That is the only pre-Christian Scriptures text that tells us about that prophecy. However, it is not the only one in the entire Bible, because in the Christian Scriptures it is repeated many times that GOD would seat Jesus at the right hand of him ... and as we clearly see, in the prophecy in Psal. 110:1, that GOD is Jehovah.

Eph. 1:17 that the God of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of glory, may give you a spirit of wisdom and of revelation in the accurate knowledge of him. 18 He has enlightened the eyes of your heart, so that you may know to what hope he called you, what glorious riches he holds as an inheritance for the holy ones, 19 and how surpassing the greatness of his power is toward us believers. It is according to the operation of the mightiness of his strength, 20 which he exercised toward Christ when he raised him up from the dead and seated him at his right hand in the heavenly places, 21 far above every government and authority and power and lordship and every name that is named, not only in this system of things but also in that to come. 22 He also subjected all things under his feet and made him head over all things with regard to the congregation, 23 which is his body, the fullness of him who fills up all things in all.

It is evident that in the NT there is much talk about Jehovah God.

ElieG12

Oct 8, 2022
Atlanta
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
In the same Psalm quoted before, we read the following:

Ps. 110:4 Jehovah has sworn an oath, and he will not change his mind:
You are a priest forever
In the manner of Melchizedek!

Only there can we read about the appointment of Jesus as a priest ... According to this text, who swore that oath on Jesus?

In the Christian Scriptures we read Paul repeating the prophecy and applying it to Jesus, for example here:

(KJV) Heb. 5:1 For every high priest taken from among men is ordained for men in things pertaining to God, that he may offer both gifts and sacrifices for sins:
2 Who can have compassion on the ignorant, and on them that are out of the way; for that he himself also is compassed with infirmity.
3 And by reason hereof he ought, as for the people, so also for himself, to offer for sins.
4 And no man taketh this honour unto himself, but he that is called of God, as was Aaron.
5 So also Christ glorified not himself to be made an high priest; but he that said unto him, Thou art my Son, to day have I begotten thee.
6 As he saith also in another place, Thou art a priest for ever after the order of Melchisedec.

And we are, here again, reading about Jehovah in NT ... this time reminding us that Jehovah was the One who ordained Jesus, glorifying him, as His own high priest.

Ronald Nolette

Aug 24, 2020
South Carolina
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Jesus!!!!!

And that is an anglicized guess of His name.

We have no vowel points in OT manuscripts and the first letter is Y which does not translate to J in Koine Greek!

So He could be : Yuhwuh, Yehwah, Yohwoh, yihwoh etc.etc.etc.

Reactions: marks

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

When is "Jehovah" named in the OT aside from mistranliterating the conjoining of YHWH and the vowels from adonai? Why then would you select "Jehovah" instead of what is actually revealed as God's Name?

The vowels were added to prevent pronunciation, not to create a new pronunciation. For one who makes posts about holding tightly to God's Name, I'm surprised at you.

Two Names for God are plainly given, YHWH, and Jesus (pronounced "Yay-soos", in the Greek language), and these are One and the Same, our Creator God. YHWH in the OT, and Jesus in the NT.

Much love!

ElieG12

Oct 8, 2022
Atlanta
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
When the Scriptures are studied thoroughly, conscientiously, we discover many truths that are rarely discussed. For example, in Heb. 1:1,2 we read the following:

(KJV) Heb. 1:1 God, who at sundry times and in divers manners spake in time past unto the fathers by the prophets, 2 hath in these last days spoken unto us by his Son, whom he hath appointed heir of all things, by whom also he made the worlds

It is saying Jesus was appointed BY GOD heir of all things. Interesting, right? Who is the God who appointed Jesus as heir?

It is not difficult to understand who that God is, when we have carefully read one of the Psalms that most applies to Jesus. Notice:

(ASV) Ps. 2:7 I will tell of the decree: Jehovah said unto me, Thou art my son; This day have I begotten thee.
8 Ask of me, and I will give thee the nations for thine inheritance, And the uttermost parts of the earth for thy possession.

And there is nothing left but to be very amazed at those words of the Psalm, because there it is practically Jesus himself who reveals to us the name of the God who appointed him heir, and of which Paul speaks to us in Heb. 1:1,2 quoted before in this post.

And we read again about Jehovah in the NT.

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Jesus!!!!!

And that is an anglicized guess of His name.

We have no vowel points in OT manuscripts and the first letter is Y which does not translate to J in Koine Greek!

So He could be : Yuhwuh, Yehwah, Yohwoh, yihwoh etc.etc.etc.
Exactly.

There is One Name of God that we actually know how to say. Jesus. Interesting, isn't it?

Much love!

Reactions: Ronald Nolette

ElieG12

Oct 8, 2022
Atlanta
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
This topic is not about the English form Jehovah that translates the Tetragrammaton in so many Bibles since centuries ago ...

I do accept and will use that form because everyone who speaks English knows to whom it refers to and who is Jehovah, and certainly you do not know what God thinks about that matter, but you only argue with human reasoning.

If you want to talk about that other topic, open another thread and maybe I will share there some ideas I learned about it ... not here. This thread is about the God of the OT mentioned in the NT in many diferent ways.

tigger 2

Oct 19, 2017
port angeles
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Bar Kochba and the Christian use of the Hebrew personal name of God

"The Jewish belief that the parting of the ways came not at Stephen’s martyrdom but after Bar Kochba’s war against Hadrian [132-135 A. D.] is now gaining ground. Previously there had been no event sufficiently striking to sever the ties. Christians frequented the synagogues: they were still a Jewish sect. [See the ISRAEL study] But Bar Kochba was hailed by Aqiba as the Messiah. This the Christians could not condone and they stood aside. .... The Jews regarded the Christians as renegades: the Christians would not fight for Aqiba’s Messiah. The die had fallen and there was no recalling the past." - Encyclopedia Britannica, p. 167, Vol. 13, 14th ed.

Cochba [bar Kochba] ... tortured and killed the Christians who refused to aid him against the Roman army." - p. 42, Greek Apologists of the Second Century, Robert M. Grant, The Westminster Press, 1988.

“It was the generation following the destruction of the Temple which brought about a final rupture between Jews and Christians .... In the third rebellion against Rome [132-135 A.D.], when the Christians were unable to accept bar Kochba as their Messiah, they declared that their kingdom was of the other world, and withdrew themselves completely from Judaism and everything Jewish. The alienation process was completed. Judaism and Christianity became strangers to each other .... A wall of misunderstanding and hate was erected by the narrow zealotries of the two faiths.” [pp. 152, 153, Jews, God and History, Max I. Dimont, A Signet Book, 1962.]

The Septuagint (LXX)

“Starting approximately in the second century C.E., several factors led most Jews to abandon the [OT] LXX. Christians naturally used the LXX since it was the only Greek version available to the earliest Christians. In addition, Christians, as a group, had rapidly become overwhelmingly gentile and, therefore, unfamiliar with Hebrew.” - New World Encyclopedia (“Septuagint”)

So, at the time the Christians withdrew themselves from “everything Jewish,” they also began copying the Greek Septuagint as their “Old Testament.” It is no coincidence, then, that God’s Jewish name was removed from all their copies of both OT and NT around 135 A.D!

See my study: Examining the Trinity: Bar Kochba and the Christians

ElieG12

Oct 8, 2022
Atlanta
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
There are still many more ways to identify Jehovah, the God of the OT, as the God mentioned by Jesus and the inspired writers of the Christian Greek Scriptures. One of them is the application of the following text from the pre-Christian Scriptures:

Ps. 2:7 Let me proclaim the decree of Jehovah; He said to me: “You are my son; Today I have become your father. ... "

This is again Christ talking, wow!

That is the same Psalm the apostles mentioned in their prayer to God in Acts. 4:23-30, but look now at God's decree on Jesus, whom he names as his Son, and defines him as his Only Begotten Son, a very special one for him, and who is also his Firstborn.

Who is it that decrees about Jesus that he is His Son?

Heb. 5:5 So Christ also glorified not himself to be made a high priest, but he that spake unto him, Thou art my Son, This day have I begotten thee ...

There again, the God of the OT, Jehovah, mentioned in the NT. Have you noticed how many times Jehovah is mentioned in the NT, even if his name does not appear in most modern versions? Can you share any other times the God of the OT is mentioned in the NT?

tigger 2

Oct 19, 2017
port angeles
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Is your study of the "Examining the Trinity" mean there is no doctrine of the Trinity?

Just curious.
The title of my blog is "Examining the Trinity." The specific study being examined there is "Bar Kochba and the Christians."

Status
Not open for further replies.