GOD in the OT and GOD in the NT

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Status
Not open for further replies.

ElieG12

Oct 8, 2022
Atlanta
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
In Acts 7 Stephen makes a brief recount since when God calls Abraham for the first time (Acts 7:2-7) until he calls Moses to bring Abraham's offspring out of Egypt (Acts 7:30-36). He then says that Jesus is the prophet that God told Moses that he would send in the future (Acts 7:37), but that the Jews in general did not want to accept him the same way they killed the porphets before during the Kings in Israel and Judah. At the end while being stoned, Esteban has a vision of God and Jesus next to him (Acts 7:55,56).

To whom is all this Stephen recounting referring when he says "God"?

Obviously Stephen is talking about Jehovah, the God of Abraham, Isaac and Jacob, and later of Joseph, and the One who later called Moses ... and who had sent Jesus.

Last edited:
Reactions: tigger 2

ElieG12

Oct 8, 2022
Atlanta
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Have you ever tried to count the times the Jewish Shema is explicitly mentioned or partially paraphrased in the NT?

Every time that happens in the NT, Christians are being reminded of Jehovah's identity as the only God.
You may not have realized that every time Jesus mentions the first and most important commandment, he recites the Jewish Shema, that is, Deut. 6:4,5. Some recorded examples are: in Mark 12:29, and the second part is mentioned in Mat. 22:37,38 (Compare Deut. 10:12).

However, although it is not so obvious on a first reading, if we take into account the way of translating the Greek LXX, it is surprising how we can realize that the Jewish Shema is mentioned briefly and periphrasically by Paul himself in some places... Read for example these quotes: 1 Cor. 8:4,6; Rom. 3:30; Eph. 4:6 and 1 Tim. 2:5.

Look at this example:

(LXX) Deut. 6:4 κύριος ὁ θεὸς ἡμῶν κύριος εἷς ἐστιν

Compare with this verse in Greek:

Gal. 3:20 ὁ δὲ μεσίτης ἑνὸς οὐκ ἔστιν, δὲ θεὸς εἷς ἐστιν.

(KJV) Gal. 3:20 Now a mediator is not a mediator of one, but God is one.

Did you know that every time Paul says "God is One" he is quoting the Jewish Shema (Deut. 6:4) from the LXX and referring to Jehovah?

James does the same in Jam. 2:19 when he ask believers: "Do you believe 'God is One'? (...)".
He is saying fallen angels know that God is One as it says Deut. 6:4 ... but that will not save them. That truth is UNIVERSAL.

robert derrick

Apr 13, 2021
Houston, tx
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Let's call Jehovah the name of God in the OT, as it is the name in English.

In the Greek manuscripts of the NT that we have so far we do not find the Hebrew name of GOD, although in Hebrew translations of the NT it does appear.

Is the Hebrew GOD, Jehovah, mentioned in the NT in any other way than by his name? What do you tell me?
He's not the Hebrew God, but the true God, that revealed Himself and His word to Adam, Abel, Seth, Enoch, Noah, Job, Abraham, and his Hebrew descendants, as well as gentile converts.

Jehovah is the name of the God of Israel revealed first to Moses, and was named Jesus, when He came in the flesh.

Jesus Christ is the risen God of Israel, which is now the name above all names, so that His name Jehovah no more appears in Scripture, after the name of Jesus is first written therein.

tigger 2

Oct 19, 2017
port angeles
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
He's not the Hebrew God, but the true God, that revealed Himself and His word to Adam, Abel, Seth, Enoch, Noah, Job, Abraham, and his Hebrew descendants, as well as gentile converts.

Jehovah is the name of the God of Israel revealed first to Moses, and was named Jesus, when He came in the flesh.

Jesus Christ is the risen God of Israel, which is now the name above all names, so that His name Jehovah no more appears in Scripture, after the name of Jesus is first written therein.
Since Jesus is the Son, who is the Father who sent him (John 17:1, 3)?
Who is the "Only True God" Jesus (and others) pray to?
Who is the person sitting on the throne who is praised 4 times as Jah (Jehovah) (Rev. 19)?
Who is the person Jesus is standing beside in Acts 7:55?

Last edited:

robert derrick

Apr 13, 2021
Houston, tx
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Since Jesus is the Son, who is the Father who sent him (John 17:1, 3)?
Who is the "Only True God" Jesus (and others) pray to?
Who is the person sitting on the throne who is praised 4 times as Jah (Jehovah) (Rev. 19)?
Who is the person Jesus is standing beside in Acts 7:55?
Whenever there are two opposite interpretations of Scripture, then there will always be two opposing interpretations of every Scripture:

I believe the Word was God. You believe the word was a god.

1. The Father is God, that sent the Word, that was with Him in heaven, to become the Son on earth in the flesh.
2. The Son spoke to the Father in heaven, who was the only true God in heaven with glory, while the Son was the only true God adn eternal life on earth in the flesh. (1 John 1, 5)
3. God is the One Father, Son, and Holy Spirit sitting on the throne (1 John 5), just prior to the Son being commanded by the Father to return to the earth with power as Lord of Lords, and King of Kings. The commandment to praise the Lord, is not naming the One sitting on the throne Jah, nor Jehovah. The God of Israel is not named Yehovah in Scripture anymore, after He is named Jesus Christ coming in the flesh.
4. The Father is sitting on the left side of the Lamb, who is standing on the right side in position of honor above the left, which is given Him gladly by the Father on the left, and is gladly accepted by the Son on the right.

You may first respond to my answers as you wish, and then after, you may respond to my own questions:
1. If the word was a god with God in the beginning, then why does the LORD declare there was never any god with Him?

See now that I, even I, am he, and there is no god with me: I kill, and I make alive; I wound, and I heal: neither is there any that can deliver out of my hand. (Deut 32)

(This one has never been acknowledged, much less answered.)

2. Who's voice is it coming out of the throne in Rev 19, commanding all to praise our God?
Hint: These three speak with one voice from the throne of God.

3. Whose judgement are righteous and true in Rev 19, and He judges the great whore to avenge His servants of their blood?

4. Who is the Lord of Lords and King of Kings, and is called the Word of God Rev 19, that goes to avenge the blood of His servants on earth?

tigger 2

Oct 19, 2017
port angeles
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
See now that I, even I, am he, and there is no god with me: I kill, and I make alive; I wound, and I heal: neither is there any that can deliver out of my hand. (Deut 32)

(This one has never been acknowledged, much less answered.)
No Other god/God - Deut. 32:39

Translators have different interpretations here. The usual trinitarian translation has God (YHWH) saying something like this:

“See now that I, even I, am he, and there is no god with me: I kill, and I make alive; I wound, and I heal: neither is there any that can deliver out of my hand.” - KJV.

Thus they say that the Word cannot be called 'a god' since God (YHWH) has no god beside Him.

But some trinitarian translators have rendered it this way:

“See ye that I alone am, and there is no other God besides me: I will kill and I will make to live: I will strike, and I will heal, and there is none that can deliver out of my hand.” - Douay.

“Now see that I, even I, am He, And there is no God besides Me; I kill and I make alive;
I wound and I heal; Nor is there any who can deliver from My hand.” - NKJV.

“Don’t you understand? I am the only God; there are no others. ….” - CEV.

“Now, see that I, and only I, am God! There is no other God! ….” - ERV.

“See, I am the only God. There are no others.” - God’s Word.

“See now that I alone am He; there is no God but Me.” - Holman Christian Standard Bible.

The Holy Bible, Berean Study Bible

Green's Literal Translation

In these renderings there is no other God, but that would not rule out the fact that other ‘gods’ may be with Him.

In fact many trinitarian scholars acknowledge that angels were called gods.

Last edited:
Reactions: Wrangler

robert derrick

Apr 13, 2021
Houston, tx
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
No Other god/God - Deut. 32:39

Translators have different interpretations here. The usual trinitarian translation has God (YHWH) saying something like this:

“See now that I, even I, am he, and there is no god with me: I kill, and I make alive; I wound, and I heal: neither is there any that can deliver out of my hand.” - KJV.

Thus they say that the Word cannot be called 'a god' since God (YHWH) has no god beside Him.

But some trinitarian translators have rendered it this way:

“See ye that I alone am, and there is no other God besides me: I will kill and I will make to live: I will strike, and I will heal, and there is none that can deliver out of my hand.” - Douay.

“Now see that I, even I, am He, And there is no God besides Me; I kill and I make alive;
I wound and I heal; Nor is there any who can deliver from My hand.” - NKJV.

“Don’t you understand? I am the only God; there are no others. ….” - CEV.

“Now, see that I, and only I, am God! There is no other God! ….” - ERV.

“See, I am the only God. There are no others.” - God’s Word.

“See now that I alone am He; there is no God but Me.” - Holman Christian Standard Bible.

The Holy Bible, Berean Study Bible

Green's Literal Translation

In these renderings there is no other God, but that would not rule out the fact that other ‘gods’ may be with Him.
I appreciate the attempt to respond to the challenge.

I don't play the translation game for this very reason. People who shop around for different translations to make a point, are really just trying to write their own personal bible for themselves, and do so from translations that can contradict one another.

The case it proven by the fact that you go to translators in order to justify your god and christ, who themselves translate the Word as God, which you reject.

Nevertheless, the problem you now have, is applying there is no God besides Me, as being the same as no God with Me, so that both the Douay and NKJV contradict themselves, who also translate the Word was God and was with God.

Your own New World Translation also therefore contradicts itself, when you say a god or God besides or apart from God, is the same as not being with God:

In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was a god.

Therefore, with and besides are not the same thing, else John 1:1 has a contradiction with other Scripture.

And so, even with the different translation, there is no God besides and apart from the LORD, but there is the Word and God with God.

False doctrine always finds itself entangling Scripture into a confusing mess.

And so, the translation of there is no god with God, condemns there being any Word or god with God. And the translation of there is not God besides God, cannot contradict there is the Word and God with God, else John 1:1 is altogether false.

And your NWT does contradict itself, by translating the Word as a god, and also agreeing that all gods are no gods at all:

Can a man make gods for himself, When they are not really gods?

Nevertheless, when you did not know God, you were enslaved to those who are not really gods.

Your own book makes a god of the Word, and so is not really a god at all, which your own book confirms.

You make a god unto yourself, that you call your christ, and the book you write to do it, declares it's god and christ is not really a god at all.

In fact many trinitarian scholars acknowledge that angels were called gods.
And this proves it doesn't matter what people call themselves, when in error of Scripture.

The angels were referred to as sons of God, by virtue of being created spiritual beings like God, rather than natural creatures not lightened by Christ.

In this way, all men are born into the world sons of God, but made a little lower than the angels with mortal bodies.

Which was the son of Enos, which was the son of Seth, which was the son of Adam, which was the son of God.

This is why salvation is being born again sons of God, as we all were first born beginning with Adam.

The promise of being gods, was always a lie, beginning with Lucifer lying to himself in heaven, and then to man on earth.

Wrangler

Feb 14, 2021
Shining City on a Hill
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Nevertheless, the problem you now have, is applying there is no God besides Me, as being the same as no god with Me, so that both the Douay and NKJV contradict themselves, who also translate the Word was a god and was with God.

Your own New World Translation also therefore contradicts itself, when you say a god or God besides or apart from God, is the same as not being with God:

In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was a god.
Maybe I misunderstood your point but here seems to be a number of fatal flaws in your attempt to rebuke @tigger 2's analysis fitting into 2 categories.
  1. Discerning different points made in different parts of Scripture.
  2. Recognizing REAL-lowercase gods in Scripture.
How do you explain the idea that anything IS something and - at the same time - IS that thing that it is with? (please do not invoke Christianity, the Bible or John 1:1 since my question is about language usage, logic and definition).

It's understandable that you do not play the 'translation game' because examining different translations reveals your attempt to eliminate discernment. Ps 82:1 CEV translation specifically says when the other gods congregate, almighty God judges them. Implied is the various gods do not always come together with the Creator YHWH for there is a time when they do. Not implied but explicit in Scripture is the existence of REAL-lowercase gods.

Recognizing there are many lords and gods in Scripture that are REAL (not false) is the beginning of wisdom of who the holy Creator is in the OT and the NT.

Reactions: tigger 2

robert derrick

Apr 13, 2021
Houston, tx
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
How do you explain the idea that anything IS something and - at the same time - IS that thing that it is with? (please do not invoke Christianity, the Bible or John 1:1 since my question is about language usage, logic and definition).

So, you want the Godhead explained to you in natural terms, because your carnal mindedness refuses to believe such spiritual things, except they be explained carnally.

And you further demand scripture be left out of showing the sense of Scripture.

That's a tall order, but here's how carnal minded men can see the Godhead of Father, Son, and Holy Ghost:

Take our sun, and let there be three of them: Each is the sun, and all three are exactly the same sun with one another. All three shine the same light and have the same power as the sun, as well as all three together.

And so, the sun is something, and at the same time, is that same thing that it is with: the sun. Not just two, but three suns together, that are one and the same thing with each other.

And so, I have met your parameters, that can make sense to an objective listener. He doesn't have to believe it, but he can certainly envision it. However, that makes no difference to you, because your reason for rejecting the Godhead is not really based on your carnal minded refusal to envision it, but rather is due to your natural theology of mortal souls.

In the past, I truly could not understand how some people claiming such Bible scholarship, could be so urgent about rejecting something so simple as the Word was with God and was God, and instead choose to try and teach something, that turns nearly all scripture into a confusing mess.

But now I know why. It's not the Godhead you have a problem with, but eternal torment for immortal souls of the wicked. That's the real source of your rejection of Jesus Christ being Lord and God. You make up a natural theology of mortal souls, to do away with immortal torment, and so you cannot allow any soul of man to be immortal, while in mortal flesh.

Therefore, Jesus Christ cannot be allowed to be God come in the flesh, and is a man with immortal soul on earth in mortal flesh.

You would rather preach a christ-god deified after the manner of pagan theology, than to allow an immortal soul of man living in mortal flesh.

It's understandable that you do not play the 'translation game' because examining different translations reveals your attempt to eliminate discernment.
Though I don't play that game, I still showed how translations do not prove doctrine of God.

This is why, once again, you are avoiding the argument made: You make the translations offered to contradict themselves. You interpret that there is no God with God from translations, that also say there was God with God in the beginning.

You go to a translation in one place, to try and disprove that God was ever with God, and then reject the same translation in another place, where it says God was with God.

As I said, people that fish around for different translations, in order to come up with their own teaching, are really just trying to write their own bible, and they end up making a mess of other translations to do it.

Ps 82:1 CEV translation specifically says when the other gods congregate, almighty God judges them. Implied is the various gods do not always come together with the Creator YHWH for there is a time when they do. Not implied but explicit in Scripture is the existence of REAL-lowercase gods.

Once again, you interpret Scripture from your own mind and theology. The Scripture does not say gods congregate, but rather God's congregation is of the mighty, which are the righteous in Psalms 1, and are not gods.

Therefore the ungodly shall not stand in the judgment, nor sinners in the congregation of the righteous.

The ungodly are the gods, that God judges as unrighteous. The lying promise of being gods began with Lucifer to himself, and now from the god of this world to man. The promise of disobedience, is to be as gods doing good and evil according to their own will forever.

What comes to an end is their own will of godhood, while their immortal being is tormented forever.

Recognizing there are many lords and gods in Scripture that are REAL (not false) is the beginning of wisdom of who the holy Creator is in the OT and the NT.

God is the God of gods, and the Lord of lords, that He judges as false and wicked. God created angels and men as spiritual eternal beings, and them that seek to make themselves gods and lords, are judged and condemned by their own Creator and Maker, the Lord and God Jesus Christ.

Neither as being lords over God's heritage, but being ensamples to the flock.

Howbeit then, when ye knew not God, ye did service unto them which by nature are no gods.

Decieved angels and men make themselves gods, that are no gods by nature, but are immortal beings by nature only: We are immortal souls, but not lords nor gods.

Now unto the King eternal, immortal, invisible, the only wise God, be honour and glory for ever and ever. Amen.

The true God is the only immortal God. All the gods of angels and men are no gods at all.

As I said, you people swallow whole the paganism of many lords and gods, and make a god and christ to yourself to do so:

Shall a man make gods unto himself, and they are no gods?

On the one hand you put yourself forth as the great defenders of the one true God, so as to reject Jesus Christ as Lord and God, and then go on to teach there be many gods, among whom is your created christ.

As concerning therefore the eating of those things that are offered in sacrifice unto idols, we know that an idol is nothing in the world, and that there is none other God but one.

For though there be that are called gods, whether in heaven or in earth, (as there be gods many, and lords many,)

But to us there is but one God, the Father, of whom are all things, and we in him; and one Lord Jesus Christ, by whom are all things, and we by him.

You people try to believe in the one God, while teaching there be many gods and lords, that are only called gods by you.

You are wanna-be monotheistic Jews, that reject Jesus as their Christ and Lord, while clinging to pagan theology of many gods.

And you do it all, just to do away with a tormenting hell and lake of fire.

While you sing praises of all your great scholarship of natural man, you can't even see the mess you've made of things, that any sensible child would reject as foolish.

Even your own NW Translation contradicts itself, by making to yourself a christ-god, yet confirms scripture that such gods are no gods at all.

ElieG12

Oct 8, 2022
Atlanta
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Reading the account of Simeon, an old man whom Scripture says was "righteous and devout" and that "the Holy Spirit was upon him", I found that Jehovah is mentioned again here in the NT.

Meditate a little on the story:

what was promised to him, and how was it fulfilled?
What were his words in prayer and, to whom were those words addressed?

Luke 2:25 And behold, there was a man in Jerusalem whose name was Simeon; and this man was righteous and devout, looking for the consolation of Israel: and the Holy Spirit was upon him.
26 And it had been revealed unto him by the Holy Spirit, that he should not see death, before he had seen the Lord’s Christ.
27 And he came in the Spirit into the temple: and when the parents brought in the child Jesus, that they might do concerning him after the custom of the law,

28 then he received him into his arms, and blessed God, and said, 29 Now lettest thou thy servant depart, Lord, According to thy word, in peace; 30 For mine eyes have seen thy salvation, 31 Which thou hast prepared before the face of all peoples; 32 A light for revelation to the Gentiles, And the glory of thy people Israel.

33 And his father and his mother were marvelling at the things which were spoken concerning him; 34 and Simeon blessed them, and said unto Mary his mother, Behold, this child is set for the falling and the rising of many in Israel; and for a sign which is spoken against; 35 yea and a sword shall pierce through thine own soul; that thoughts out of many hearts may be revealed.

He was not talking to the baby Jesus, right? He was talking to Jehovah.

Chapter 2 of Luke's gospel has a few interesting things to learn, for honest Bible students, about the devotion all faithful servants of God around the children, and later young boy Jesus, have to Jehovah.

Status
Not open for further replies.