God is:-

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

charity

Nov 26, 2017
UK
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Hello there,

GOD is immutable (unchangeable). Yet He became everything that was needed to fulfill His purpose, and to provide for the needs of His People: as is evidenced by the Jehovah titles found in Scripture:-

Jehovah-Jireh = 'Jehovah will see, or provide' - (Genesis 22:14).
Jehovah-Ropheka = ' Jehovah that healeth thee' - (Exodus 15:26).
Jehovah-Nissi = 'Jehovah my banner' - (Exodus 17:15).
Jehovah-Mekaddishkem = ' Jehovah that doth sanctify you' - (Exodus 31:13; Leviticus 20:8; Leviticus 21:8; Leviticus 22:32; Ezekiel 20:12)
Jehovah-Shalom = 'Jehovah (send) peace' - (Judges 6:24)
Jehovah-Zebaoth = 'Jehovah of hosts' - (1 Samuel 1:3 [frequently])
Jehovah-Zidkenu = ' Jehovah our righteousnes's - (Jeremiah 23:6; Jeremiah 33:16)
Jehovah-Shammah = 'Jehovah is there' - (Ezekiel 48:35)
Jehovah-Elyon = 'Jehovah most high' - (Psalm 7:17; Psalm 47:2; Psalm 97:9)
Jehovah-Roi = 'Jehovah my Shepherd' - (Psalm 23:1)

* The different names and titles ascribed to GOD each have something to add to our understanding of Him, don't they? :-

'Elohim'; 'Jehovah'; 'Jah' (He Who was and is and is to come);
'El'; 'Eloah'; 'Elyon'; 'Shaddai'; 'Adon' - 'Adonai' - 'Adonim'.

* Used in Combination:-
- Adonai Jehovah = 'Lord God'
- Jehovah Elohim = 'Lord God'
- Elyon El = 'Most High God'
- El Shaddai = 'GOD Almighty.'​

* Yet, for believers in the Lord Jesus Christ, He is, 'The God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ', and our 'Father' - 'in Christ Jesus' our risen Lord. We have been brought 'nigh' unto Him, through the death and resurrection of His Only Begotten Son (Ephesians 2:13).

Praise His Holy Name!

In Christ Jesus
our risen and glorified
Saviour, Lord and Head.
Chris

Last edited:

charity

Nov 26, 2017
UK
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Hello again,

'Elohim' =
The Creator
The first occurrence of this word connects it with creation (Genesis 1:1). It indicates His relation to mankind as His creatures.
Elohim is God the Son , the living 'Word' with creature form to create. (John 1:1; Colossians 1:15-17; Revelation 3:14), and later with human form to redeem.(John 1:14). In this 'creature' form He appeared to the Patriarchs.

'Jehovah' = The Eternal, the immutable (unchangeable) one, 'He Who Was, and Is, and Is to Come.' (Divine Definition:- Genesis 21:33). God in covenant relation to His People, He is therefore especially the God of Israel; and the God of those who are redeemed, and are thus now 'in Christ'. We can say 'My God' but not 'My Jehovah', for Jehovah is 'My God.'

'Jah' = Is Jehovah in a special sense and relation. Jehovah as having 'become' our Salvation (Exodus 15:2). 'He Who IS and WAS, and IS TO COME.'

'El'= The Almighty (Elohim in all His strength and power).
It is rendered 'God' as Elohim is, but 'El' is, 'God the Omnipotent', 'Elohim' is 'God the Creator', putting His omnipotence into operation.
'El' is the God who knows all.(Genesis 14:18-22), and sees all (Genesis 16:13). and that performeth all things for His People (Psalm 57:2), and in Whom all the Divine attributes are concentrated.

Thank you
In Christ Jesus
Chris

(Ref:Companion Bible Appendix)

Last edited:
Reactions: marks and Truman

charity

Nov 26, 2017
UK
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Hello again,

'Eloah' = is Elohim, Who is to be worshipped. Eloah is God in relation to His will rather than His power. The first occurrence associates this name with worship (Deuteronomy 32:15-17), so it is used when contrast is being made with false gods or idols. Eloah is essentially 'the living God' in contrast with inanimate idols.

'Elyon' = Elyon (with 'El') is rendered 'The Most High God' in Genesis 14. It is 'El'; and 'Elohim' - not as the powerful Creator, but as 'the possessor of heaven and earth.' Hence the name is associated with Christ as the Son of 'the Highest' (Luke 1:35).
It is Elyon, - as possessor of the earth, Who divides the nations, 'their inheritance'. In Psalm 83:18, He is, 'over all the earth'.
'Elyon' - is the Dispenser of God's blessings in the earth; the blessings proceeding from a Priest Who is a King upon His throne (cp. Genesis 14:18-22 with Zechariah 6:13 & Zechariah 14:9).

'Shaddai' = 'Almighty'.
It is God ('El'), not as the source of Strength, but of grace; not as Creator, but as the Giver. Shaddai is the All-bountiful. This titles does not refer to His creative power, but to His power to supply all the needs of His people. Its first occurrence is in (Genesis 17:1), and is used to show Abraham that He Who called him out to walk alone before Him could supply all his need. Even so it is the title used in 2 Corinthians 6:18, where we are called to, 'come out,' in separation from the world. it is always used in connection with 'El'.

Thank you again
In Christ Jesus
Chris

(Ref: The Companion Bible Index)

Last edited:

charity

Nov 26, 2017
UK
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Hello again (finally)

'Adon' = Is the Lord as Ruler in the earth.

'Adonai' = is the Lord in His relation to the earth; and as carrying out His purposes of blessing in the earth. With this limitation it is almost equivalent to Jehovah.

'Adonim' = is the pural of Adon, never used of man. Adonim carries with it all that Adon does, but in a greater and higher degree; and more especially as owner and proprietor. an 'Adon' may rule others who do not belong to him. Hence (without the article) it is often used of men. But Adonim is the Lord Who rules His own.

Adon - is the Lord as overlord or ruler,
Adonim - is the Lord as Owner.
Adonai - is the Lord as Blesser.

Praise His Holy Name!

With love in Christ Jesus
Chris

(Ref: The Companion Bible Index)

Reactions: marks

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hello again,

'Elohim' =
The Creator
The first occurrence of this word connects it with creation (Genesis 1:1). It indicates His relation to mankind as His creatures.
Elohim is God the Son , the living 'Word' with creature form to create. (John 1:1; Colossians 1:15-17; Revelation 3:14), and later with human form to redeem.(John 1:14). In this 'creature' form He appeared to the Patriarchs.

'Jehovah' = The Eternal, the immutable (unchangeable) one, 'He Who Was, and Is, and Is to Come.' (Divine Definition:- Genesis 21:33). God in covenant relation to His People, He is therefore especially the God of Israel; and the God of those who are redeemed, and are thus now 'in Christ'. We can say 'My God' but not 'My Jehovah', for Jehovah is 'My God.'

'Jah' = Is Jehovah in a special sense and relation. Jehovah as having 'become' our Salvation (Exodus 15:2). 'He Who IS and WAS, and IS TO COME.'

It is rendered 'God' as Elohim is, but 'El' is, 'God the Omnipotent', 'Elohim' is 'God the Creator', putting His omnipotence into operation.
'El' is the God who knows all.(Genesis 14:18-22), and sees all (Genesis 16:13). and that performeth all things for His People (Psalm 57:2), and in Whom all the Divine attributes are concentrated.

Thank you
In Christ Jesus
Chris

This is good for me to meditate on this morning. I'm having a rough start to the day . . . this is good!

Much love!

Reactions: charity

theefaith

Aug 25, 2020
Dallas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hello there,

GOD is immutable (unchangeable). Yet He became everything that was needed to fulfill His purpose, and to provide for the needs of His People: as is evidenced by the Jehovah titles found in Scripture:-

Jehovah-Mekaddishkem = ' Jehovah that doth sanctify you' - (Exodus 31:13; Leviticus 20:8; Leviticus 21:8; Leviticus 22:32; Ezekiel 20:12)
Jehovah-Zidkenu = ' Jehovah our righteousnes's - (Jeremiah 23:6; Jeremiah 33:16)

* The different names and titles ascribed to GOD each have something to add to our understanding of Him, don't they? :-

* Yet, for believers in the Lord Jesus Christ, He is, 'The God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ', and our 'Father' - 'in Christ Jesus' our risen Lord. We have been brought 'nigh' unto Him, through the death and resurrection of His Only Begotten Son (Ephesians 2:13).

Praise His Holy Name!

In Christ Jesus
our risen and glorified
Saviour, Lord and Head.
Chris

Is Jesus also Divine?
Uncreated in his divinity?
And eternal?

charity

Nov 26, 2017
UK
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Is Jesus also Divine?
And eternal?
Hello @theefaith

God Who is spirit (John 4:24; 1 Timothy 1:17) as, 'the Word', was made flesh and dwelt among us (John 1:14) in the person of the Lord Jesus Christ; He having been, 'begotten', not, 'made' ( John 3:18). Yes, He is eternal (1 Timothy 6:16).

Thank you
In Christ Jesus
Chris

Last edited:
Reactions: Nancy and Pisteuo

charity

Nov 26, 2017
UK
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
This is good for me to meditate on this morning. I'm having a rough start to the day . . . this is good!

Much love!
Hello @marks,

You posted this on Friday, it is now Sunday, I hope that the mornings since have not been as 'rough' a start to the day, for you. Since I read it initially, I have wanted to say, 'Thank You', to you, for it was a blessing to me to know that the OP had been a blessing to you.

Thank you for sharing.
In Christ Jesus
Chris

Reactions: marks and Nancy

charity

Nov 26, 2017
UK
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
The Divine Names and Titles. - Appendix to the Companion Bible

Hello there @marks and co.,

These various Divine Names and Titles, are there within Scripture, in their contexts for a reason, and I feel it would benefit us in our studies, if we took note of them.

* For example, in regard to Jah or Yahh (Strongs No. H3050):-

* In Exodus 15, Moses and the children of Israel sang a song unto the Lord following their deliverance from the forces of Egypt in the red sea:-

'The LORD (Yahh or Jah) is my strength and song,
and He is become my salvation:
He is my God (
Elohim),
and I will prepare Him an habitation;
my father's God (
Elohim),
and I will exalt Him. ... ... '

(Exo 15:2)

They sang that the LORD - 'had become their salvation'.

The word,' LORD' here, is the translation of the Hebrew 'Yahh': ' Yahh,' (or Jah) is, 'Jehovah,' in a special sense and relation; Jehovah as having BECOME our Salvation.

This does not imply that God 'became' anything: no change took place in Him, for He is unchanging: the change came in their perception of Him; for now they knew in their personal experience that He had indeed 'become' their salvation. Their relation with Him had altered: from their perspective, not from His, for He is Who He is and always will be.

Praise His Name!

Thank you
In Christ Jesus
Chris

Last edited:
Reactions: marks

charity

Nov 26, 2017
UK
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
'And Moses said unto God (Elohim),
Behold, when I come unto the children of Israel,
and shall say unto them,
The God (
Elohim) of your fathers hath sent me unto you;
and they shall say to me,
What is His name?
what shall I say unto them?

And God (
Elohim) said unto Moses, "I AM THAT I AM:"
and He said, "Thus shalt thou say unto the children of Israel,
'I AM hath sent me unto you'."
And God (
Elohim) said moreover unto Moses,
"Thus shalt thou say unto the children of Israel,
The LORD (
Jehovah) God (Elohim) of your fathers,
the God (
Elohim) of Abraham, the God (Elohim) of Isaac, and the God (Elohim) of Jacob, hath sent me unto you:
this is My Name for ever,
and this is my memorial unto all generations.'

(Exodus 3:13-15)

Hello there,

God is ONE: He needs no defining name to distinguish Himself from another, for there is no other. No other Creator but 'Elohim'.
The children of Israel, to whom Moses was being sent, knew God as 'the God of Abraham, the God of Isaac, and the God of Jacob', so God replies to Moses with the words, 'I AM THAT I AM'. The same yesterday, today and forever. The immutable (or unchanging) God.

'I AM hath sent me unto you.'

* This makes me think of the words of Hebrews 11:6:-

'But without faith it is impossible to please Him:
for He that cometh to God must believe that
HE IS,
and that He is a rewarder of them that diligently seek Him.'
(Heb 11:6)

Praise His Holy Name!

Thank you
In Christ Jesus
Chris

Last edited:

charity

Nov 26, 2017
UK
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
'And Jacob asked Him, and said,
Tell me, I pray thee, Thy name.
And He said," Wherefore is it that thou dost ask after My name?"
And He blessed him there.
And Jacob called the name of the place Peniel:
for I have seen God
(Elohim) face to face,
and my life is preserved.'

(Gen 32:29-30)

Hello again,

This incident in Jacob's life, when his name was changed to, 'Israel', came to my mind, because here again enquiry was being made as to God's name. It was also after this encounter that instead of referring to God as, the God of His Fathers Abraham and Isaac, He spoke of Him as, 'the God of Israel'. His God! :- 'And he erected there an altar, and called it Elelohe-Israel' = 'God - the God of Israel' (Gen 33:20)

* Which reminds me of Thomas' words to His risen Lord:- 'My Lord and My God!' (John 20:28)

Praise God!

Thank you
In Christ Jesus
Chris

Last edited:

Robert Gwin

Mar 19, 2021
Central Il
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hello there,

Praise His Holy Name!

In Christ Jesus
our risen and glorified
Saviour, Lord and Head.
Chris

One name, many titles Chris

charity

Nov 26, 2017
UK
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
One name, many titles Chris
Hello @Robert Gwin,

The one that is most precious to the believer in the Lord Jesus Christ, is, as I said in the OP:- 'The God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ', isn't it? For it is through the Lord Jesus Christ that we have access to the Father. Who is our 'Father' in Him.

Thank you for responding.
In Christ Jesus
Chris

Reactions: Robert Gwin

ChristisGod

Aug 15, 2020
California
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hello again,

'Elohim' =
The Creator

Thank you
In Christ Jesus
Chris

Yes our Pre-Incarnate Lord ( YHWH ) appeared to them in the OT as " The Angel of the Lord " .

charity

Nov 26, 2017
UK
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Is Jesus also Divine?
And eternal?
Hello @theefaith,

The Divine title 'I AM' is used by Christ of Himself, in John 8:58. (See Exodus 3:14)

I have found Divine title references in the book of Psalms in the KJV which apply directly to Christ in the New Testament:-

Psalms 9:8 - Acts of the Apostles 17:31
Psalms 96:13 - Acts of the Apostles 17:31
Psalms 98:9 - Acts of the Apostles 17:31
Psalms 34:8 - 1 Peter 2:3
Psalms 45:6 - Hebrews 1:8
Psalms 62:12 - Matthew 16:27
Psalms 74:2 - 1 Peter 1:19
Psalms 97:7 - Hebrews 1:6
Psalms 102:25-27 - Hebrews 1:10-12
Psalms 104:4 - Hebrews 1:7

* Jehovah and the Lord Jesus Christ are referred to as one and the same:especially in the third one down in the list (Psalm 98:9/ Acts 17:31)

Thank you
In Christ Jesus
Chris

Last edited:

theefaith

Aug 25, 2020
Dallas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hello @theefaith

God Who is spirit (John 4:24; 1 Timothy 1:17) as, 'the Word', was made flesh and dwelt among us (John 1:14) in the person of the Lord Jesus Christ; He having been, 'begotten', not, 'made' ( John 3:18). Yes, He is eternal (1 Timothy 6:16).

Thank you
In Christ Jesus
Chris

Hebrews 13:8
Jesus Christ the same yesterday, and to day, and for ever.

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You sure do dig in Chris! I LOVE all of His names/titles. Always wanted to do a thread on this but, am not sufficiently equipped to study like you do sister. Thank you for sharing! I'm saving this to word pad for further study. Thank you for sharing!
Much love, in Christ,
nancy