Searching For The Name Of God

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

WalterandDebbie

Dec 14, 2009
USA
firstthings1sttab.tripod.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
3-4-23

There are actually seven places in the King James Bible where it actually has the name YEHOVAH with the Y changed to a J in the English Bible. In about the 14th. Century, the J was added as a I with a long tail. A long tail was added to differentiate the first I from the second I. When the printing press came along the long-tailed I was made a J and the King James Bible was one of the first books printed on the first printing press.

Exodus Six:3 And I appeared unto Abraham, unto Isaac, and unto Jacob, by the name of God Almighty (El Shaddai), but by my name Jehovah was I not known to them. It is in capital letters because the translation is from YHVH, but here the actual vowels are printed out that goes with the tetragrammaton YHVH (Yod-hay-vav-hay) translated into English-Yehovah.

Psalm Eighty Three:18 That men may know that thou, whose name alone is Jehovah, art the most high over all the earth.

Isaiah Twelve:2 Behold, God is my salvation; I will trust, and not be afraid: for the Lord Jehovah is my strength and my song; he also is become my salvation.

Isiah Twenty Six:4 Trust ye in the Lord for ever: for in the Lord Jehovah is everlasting strength.

Love, Walter and Debbie

Reactions: Aunty Jane

Robert Gwin

Mar 19, 2021
Central Il
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
3-4-23

There are actually seven places in the King James Bible where it actually has the name YEHOVAH with the Y changed to a J in the English Bible. In about the 14th. Century, the J was added as a I with a long tail. A long tail was added to differentiate the first I from the second I. When the printing press came along the long-tailed I was made a J and the King James Bible was one of the first books printed on the first printing press.

Exodus Six:3 And I appeared unto Abraham, unto Isaac, and unto Jacob, by the name of God Almighty (El Shaddai), but by my name Jehovah was I not known to them. It is in capital letters because the translation is from YHVH, but here the actual vowels are printed out that goes with the tetragrammaton YHVH (Yod-hay-vav-hay) translated into English-Yehovah.

Psalm Eighty Three:18 That men may know that thou, whose name alone is Jehovah, art the most high over all the earth.

Isaiah Twelve:2 Behold, God is my salvation; I will trust, and not be afraid: for the Lord Jehovah is my strength and my song; he also is become my salvation.

Isiah Twenty Six:4 Trust ye in the Lord for ever: for in the Lord Jehovah is everlasting strength.

Love, Walter and Debbie
Every English Bible that renders the Divine Name in English renders it Jehovah Walter.

WalterandDebbie

Dec 14, 2009
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Every English Bible that renders the Divine Name in English renders it Jehovah Walter.
Hello Robert, Genesis 22:14 And Abraham called the name of that place Jehovah-Jireh: as it is said to this day, In the mount of the Lord it shall be seen.

Exodus 17:15 And Moses built an altar, and called the name of it Jehovah-Nissi:

Judges 6:24 Then Gideon built an altar there unto the Lord, and called it Jehovah-Shalom: unto this day it is yet in Ophrah of the Abiezrites.

Seven is the number of perfection. Interestingly, in ancient Hebrew, however, the letter J was not invented yet. It did not come into the English language until the 14th. century. But it is interesting the Hebrews used Y for J so Jehovah should be pronounced as Yehovah.

Walter

Reactions: David in NJ

Robert Gwin

Mar 19, 2021
Central Il
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hello Robert, Genesis 22:14 And Abraham called the name of that place Jehovah-Jireh: as it is said to this day, In the mount of the Lord it shall be seen.

Exodus 17:15 And Moses built an altar, and called the name of it Jehovah-Nissi:

Judges 6:24 Then Gideon built an altar there unto the Lord, and called it Jehovah-Shalom: unto this day it is yet in Ophrah of the Abiezrites.

Seven is the number of perfection. Interestingly, in ancient Hebrew, however, the letter J was not invented yet. It did not come into the English language until the 14th. century. But it is interesting the Hebrews used Y for J so Jehovah should be pronounced as Yehovah.

Walter
You are speaking English Walter, and you used Jehovah in each verse you posted, so if you think it should not be there why are you using it. YHWH is pronounced Juh hoe vuh in English sir. You cant change that it is simply the way it is. Once I was so ignorant I thought Jireh was God's last name, can you believe it. Do you know what Jireh, Nissi, and Shalom mean in English sir?

WalterandDebbie

Dec 14, 2009
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You are speaking English Walter, and you used Jehovah in each verse you posted, so if you think it should not be there why are you using it. YHWH is pronounced Juh hoe vuh in English sir. You cant change that it is simply the way it is. Once I was so ignorant I thought Jireh was God's last name, can you believe it. Do you know what Jireh, Nissi, and Shalom mean in English sir?
Good morning Robert, I find once a person finds the truth they would walk in that truth, but that's just the way it is for those people, and you ask me: Do you know what Jireh, Nissi, and Shalom mean in English sir? yes, Sir, I do, the Bible's way for us, thank you.

Reactions: David in NJ

Robert Gwin

Mar 19, 2021
Central Il
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Good morning Robert, I find once a person finds the truth they would walk in that truth, but that's just the way it is for those people, and you ask me: Do you know what Jireh, Nissi, and Shalom mean in English sir? yes, Sir, I do, the Bible's way for us, thank you.

Generally when someone asks a question like I did, one would give the meaning don't you think Walter? Jireh means provides; Nissi means Banner; and Shalom means peace sir. In all cases those were not part of God's name, rather the Jehovah part was His name.

WalterandDebbie

Dec 14, 2009
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Generally when someone asks a question like I did, one would give the meaning don't you think Walter? Jireh means provides; Nissi means Banner; and Shalom means peace sir. In all cases those were not part of God's name, rather the Jehovah part was His name.
Hi Robert, So if you know of something for a fact why ask, or is it to make sure of it?

WalterandDebbie

Dec 14, 2009
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Mat 28:20 sir
Good morning Robert, it is funny you mentioned this verse,

What does Matthew 28:20 mean?​

The final verse of Matthew's gospel is also the final verse of the Great Commission (Matthew 28:18–19). Before ascending to heaven to be reunited with His Father (Acts 1:6–11), Jesus is defining their mission on earth as His representatives and under His authority as the eternal king.

He has told the disciples to "make disciples." This has been the primary outward mission of the Christian church ever since this day. Followers of Jesus are commanded to make more followers of Jesus. This means cooperatively teaching and training them in matters of faith. Written Scripture is an integral part of that process (2 Timothy 3:16), but it is not the entire process, itself. Jesus command was not to "make copies of the Bible," but to create disciples.

As the disciples committed themselves to serving Jesus, being trained by Him for this mission, new disciples of Jesus commit themselves to serving Him while being trained by those under His authority (2 Timothy 4:1–2). This is a lifetime commitment to the king of the kingdom of heaven.

Jesus has identified two things expected of those who have trusted in Him and have committed to following Him as a disciple. The first is baptism by water. Jesus' ministry began with His own baptism. Baptism is meant to be a public declaration that one who believes in Jesus now belongs to Him. Jesus has commanded the disciples to baptize believers in the name of the Father, Son and Holy Spirit.

Now Jesus adds that obedience is expected of those who call themselves His disciples, as well (John 14:15). The disciples are to teach new believers in Jesus to observe everything He has commanded them to do. Obedience to all of Jesus' teaching is to become the standard practice of every Christian.

Finally, Jesus promises to be with His disciples always, until the end of the age. It will soon become clear that He does not mean this in a physical sense. He is about to ascend to heaven, in His physical form, to be at the right hand of God the Father. He will, however, be with His disciples in spirit, as the Holy Spirit comes to occupy all who trust in Christ on the day of Pentecost (Acts 2).

The word translated "always" in this verse comes from a special Greek phrase only used here in the New Testament: pasas tas hēmeras. It literally means "the whole of every day." This is then extended to all eternity with the expression heōs tēs synteleias tou aiōnos: "even to the end of the age." Jesus' promise is to be with His followers—in Spirit and in Truth (John 4:24) every minute of every day, until the very end of the present age, and the into eternal life beyond (John 3:16–18).

But Sir, what is your meaning that you said it to me?

Love, Walter

Robert Gwin

Mar 19, 2021
Central Il
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Good morning Robert, it is funny you mentioned this verse,

What does Matthew 28:20 mean?​

The final verse of Matthew's gospel is also the final verse of the Great Commission (Matthew 28:18–19). Before ascending to heaven to be reunited with His Father (Acts 1:6–11), Jesus is defining their mission on earth as His representatives and under His authority as the eternal king.

He has told the disciples to "make disciples." This has been the primary outward mission of the Christian church ever since this day. Followers of Jesus are commanded to make more followers of Jesus. This means cooperatively teaching and training them in matters of faith. Written Scripture is an integral part of that process (2 Timothy 3:16), but it is not the entire process, itself. Jesus command was not to "make copies of the Bible," but to create disciples.

As the disciples committed themselves to serving Jesus, being trained by Him for this mission, new disciples of Jesus commit themselves to serving Him while being trained by those under His authority (2 Timothy 4:1–2). This is a lifetime commitment to the king of the kingdom of heaven.

Jesus has identified two things expected of those who have trusted in Him and have committed to following Him as a disciple. The first is baptism by water. Jesus' ministry began with His own baptism. Baptism is meant to be a public declaration that one who believes in Jesus now belongs to Him. Jesus has commanded the disciples to baptize believers in the name of the Father, Son and Holy Spirit.

Now Jesus adds that obedience is expected of those who call themselves His disciples, as well (John 14:15). The disciples are to teach new believers in Jesus to observe everything He has commanded them to do. Obedience to all of Jesus' teaching is to become the standard practice of every Christian.

Finally, Jesus promises to be with His disciples always, until the end of the age. It will soon become clear that He does not mean this in a physical sense. He is about to ascend to heaven, in His physical form, to be at the right hand of God the Father. He will, however, be with His disciples in spirit, as the Holy Spirit comes to occupy all who trust in Christ on the day of Pentecost (Acts 2).

The word translated "always" in this verse comes from a special Greek phrase only used here in the New Testament: pasas tas hēmeras. It literally means "the whole of every day." This is then extended to all eternity with the expression heōs tēs synteleias tou aiōnos: "even to the end of the age." Jesus' promise is to be with His followers—in Spirit and in Truth (John 4:24) every minute of every day, until the very end of the present age, and the into eternal life beyond (John 3:16–18).

But Sir, what is your meaning that you said it to me?

Love, Walter
Following our progressive comments, my usage of it to you was the teaching them to observe all the things I commanded. When I asked you a question, you answered it yes, which may very well be true, perhaps I incorrectly stated it when I asked you if you knew what those words meant, I was asking for you to tell me, so I told you what they meant. You appeared to me to be inferring they were part of Jehovah's name, which they were not.

WalterandDebbie

Dec 14, 2009
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Following our progressive comments, my usage of it to you was the teaching them to observe all the things I commanded. When I asked you a question, you answered it yes, which may very well be true, perhaps I incorrectly stated it when I asked you if you knew what those words meant, I was asking for you to tell me, so I told you what they meant. You appeared to me to be inferring they were part of Jehovah's name, which they were not.
Hi Robert, We already have a personal relationship/commitment with Christ, Revelation To Jesus Reward Matthew 16:24-26 Taking up your Cross and following Christ, 1 Peter 2:18-25, Submission to business, Following His steps, 1 John 2:3-6, walking as He Walked in obedience to His commandments.

Matthew 16:24-26

English Standard Version

Take Up Your Cross and Follow Jesus

24 Then Jesus told his disciples, “If anyone would come after me, let him deny himself and take up his cross and follow me. 25 For whoever would save his life[a] will lose it, but whoever loses his life for my sake will find it. 26 For what will it profit a man if he gains the whole world and forfeits his soul? Or what shall a man give in return for his soul?
Read full chapter

Love, Walter

Robert Gwin

Mar 19, 2021
Central Il
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hi Robert, We already have a personal relationship/commitment with Christ, Revelation To Jesus Reward Matthew 16:24-26 Taking up your Cross and following Christ, 1 Peter 2:18-25, Submission to business, Following His steps, 1 John 2:3-6, walking as He Walked in obedience to His commandments.

English Standard Version

24 Then Jesus told his disciples, “If anyone would come after me, let him deny himself and take up his cross and follow me. 25 For whoever would save his life[a] will lose it, but whoever loses his life for my sake will find it. 26 For what will it profit a man if he gains the whole world and forfeits his soul? Or what shall a man give in return for his soul?
Read full chapter

Love, Walter

English Standard Version

Read full chapter

Love, Walter
Just part of the assignment Walter. Our assignment is to reach others with the good news of the Kingdom of God, to make disciples that observe all the things Jesus commanded. We fully recognize that most we speak to will not become a Christian, but oh how joyous it is when we see someone who actually takes the steps to become one of Jesus' disciples.

WalterandDebbie

Dec 14, 2009
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Just part of the assignment Walter. Our assignment is to reach others with the good news of the Kingdom of God, to make disciples that observe all the things Jesus commanded. We fully recognize that most we speak to will not become a Christian, but oh how joyous it is when we see someone who actually takes the steps to become one of Jesus' disciples.
Good morning Robert, and how are you all? Great, Jesus Christ The Same Yesterday, And Today, And Forever

Love, Walter and Debbie

Davy

Feb 11, 2018
Southeastern U.S.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
3-4-23

Love, Walter and Debbie
See this...

Reactions: WalterandDebbie

quietthinker

May 4, 2018
FNQ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
3-4-23

Love, Walter and Debbie
If we are looking for 'a name' for God we will miss it. 'Name' when it come to scripture mean character......subsequently when God passed by Moses he declared his Name.

Everything else just results in lots of meaningless yada yada

Aunty Jane

Sep 16, 2021
Sydney
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
3-4-23

Those seven places do not represent the almost 7,000 places where God’s name appears in the Bible text of the Hebrew Scriptures. The ASV is more accurate in its translation than the KJV in that respect. Jehovah’s name is seen all through the text. Some other Bibles hold to rendering the divine name where it appears, realising that it was there in the original and whatever language we speak, we should still see it. English is not the only translation. Like all the Bible names, the translations will render them differently in the language into which they are translated.

It always amazes me that this is the one verse that should have rendered the divine name, but instead, most modern English versions chose to say.....
that they may know that you alone,whose name is the Lord, are the Most High over all the earth.
God’s title is not his name. "Lord" is a title given to many.

Jesus taught us that ‘Our Father’s name’ should ‘be hallowed’....sanctified....held sacred.
It’s hard to make a name Holy if we never use it. God knows his name in all languages....not just Hebrew.

Isaiah 26:4....
"Trust in the Lord forever, for the Lord God is an everlasting rock."

The ASV has it correct...
"Trust ye in Jehovah for ever; for in Jehovah, even Jehovah, is an everlasting rock."

According to the Jewish Tanakh, God's name appears twice in this passage.....

Trust in the Lord forever, for in Yah the Lord, is the Rock of eternity. דבִּטְח֥וּ בַֽיהֹוָ֖ה עֲדֵי־עַ֑ד כִּי בְּיָ֣הּ יְהֹוָ֔ה צ֖וּר עֽוֹלָמִֽים:

The shortened form of Yahweh is used in the English translation (Yah or Jah, part of hallelu jah) but in the Hebrew text, God's name is there twice.

I can never understand Christendom reluctance to embrace the most sacred name in existence......the Bible writers certainly had no compunction in using it frequently and with reverence, which is all God required of those who promised to "hallow" his name.

• Love
Reactions: WalterandDebbie

WalterandDebbie

Dec 14, 2009
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
3-4-23

Love, Walter and Debbie
Those seven places do not represent the almost 7,000 places where God’s name appears in the Bible text of the Hebrew Scriptures. The ASV is more accurate in its translation than the KJV in that respect. Jehovah’s name is seen all through the text. Some other Bibles hold to rendering the divine name where it appears, realising that it was there in the original and whatever language we speak, we should still see it. English is not the only translation. Like all the Bible names, the translations will render them differently in the language into which they are translated.

It always amazes me that this is the one verse that should have rendered the divine name, but instead, most modern English versions chose to say.....
that they may know that you alone,whose name is the Lord, are the Most High over all the earth.
God’s title is not his name. "Lord" is a title given to many.

Jesus taught us that ‘Our Father’s name’ should ‘be hallowed’....sanctified....held sacred.
It’s hard to make a name Holy if we never use it. God knows his name in all languages....not just Hebrew.

Isaiah 26:4....
"Trust in the Lord forever, for the Lord God is an everlasting rock."

The ASV has it correct...
"Trust ye in Jehovah for ever; for in Jehovah, even Jehovah, is an everlasting rock."

According to the Jewish Tanakh, God's name appears twice in this passage.....

Trust in the Lord forever, for in Yah the Lord, is the Rock of eternity.דבִּטְח֥וּ בַֽיהֹוָ֖ה עֲדֵי־עַ֑ד כִּי בְּיָ֣הּ יְהֹוָ֔ה צ֖וּר עֽוֹלָמִֽים:

The shortened form of Yahweh is used in the English translation (Yah or Jah, part of hallelu jah) but in the Hebrew text, God's name is there twice.

I can never understand Christendom reluctance to embrace the most sacred name in existence......the Bible writers certainly had no compunction in using it frequently and with reverence, which is all God required of those who promised to "hallow" his name.
Who is Yehovah? - YHVH, Yahweh, Jehovah, Elohim, Adonai, Theos, Kyrios, Yehoshua? (truechristianministries.net)

Article analyzes the Tetragrammaton and the biblical translations for the names of God, in Hebrew and Greek. Is it wrong to use names like Jesus, God, and Lord, or should we use Yehova, Yehoshua, Elohim, Adonai, Theos, and Kyrios? If no man could see God's face and live, then how did Moses speak to the Lord like a man, and live? Did God the Father, or Jesus speak to Abraham, Isaac, and Moses?
www.truechristianministries.net
The Hebrew Yehovah vs. the Roman Yahweh - Time of Reckoning Ministry

The Hebrew Yehovah vs. the Roman Yahweh - Time of Reckoning Ministry
The Name of Yehovah appears in the Scripture more that 6,000 times to show us that He clearly wants His Name to be known, not forgotten.
timeofreckoning.org

Aunty Jane

Sep 16, 2021
Sydney
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
@WalterandDebbie, reading through your links it becomes apparent that some deviation has occurred in the translation of the original Hebrew.

Exodus 3:13-15 for example from the Jewish Tanakh reads....
And Moses said to God, "Behold I come to the children of Israel, and I say to them, 'The God of your fathers has sent me to you,' and they say to me, 'What is His name?' what shall I say to them?" יגוַיֹּ֨אמֶר משֶׁ֜ה אֶל־הָֽאֱלֹהִ֗ים הִנֵּ֨ה אָֽנֹכִ֣י בָא֘ אֶל־בְּנֵ֣י יִשְׂרָאֵל֒ וְאָֽמַרְתִּ֣י לָהֶ֔ם אֱלֹהֵ֥י אֲבֽוֹתֵיכֶ֖ם שְׁלָחַ֣נִי אֲלֵיכֶ֑ם וְאָֽמְרוּ־לִ֣י מַה־שְּׁמ֔וֹ מָ֥ה אֹמַ֖ר אֲלֵהֶֽם:
14 God said to Moses, "Ehyeh asher ehyeh (I will be what I will be)," and He said, "So shall you say to the children of Israel, 'Ehyeh (I will be) has sent me to you.'" ידוַיֹּ֤אמֶר אֱלֹהִים֙ אֶל־משֶׁ֔ה אֶֽהְיֶ֖ה אֲשֶׁ֣ר אֶֽהְיֶ֑ה וַיֹּ֗אמֶר כֹּ֤ה תֹאמַר֙ לִבְנֵ֣י יִשְׂרָאֵ֔ל אֶֽהְיֶ֖ה שְׁלָחַ֥נִי אֲלֵיכֶֽם:
15 And God said further to Moses, "So shall you say to the children of Israel, 'The Lord God of your forefathers, the God of Abraham, the God of Isaac, and the God of Jacob, has sent me to you.' This is My name forever, and this is how I should be mentioned in every generation. טווַיֹּ֩אמֶר֩ ע֨וֹד אֱלֹהִ֜ים אֶל־משֶׁ֗ה כֹּ֣ה תֹאמַר֘ אֶל־בְּנֵ֣י יִשְׂרָאֵל֒ יְהֹוָ֞ה אֱלֹהֵ֣י אֲבֹֽתֵיכֶ֗ם אֱלֹהֵ֨י אַבְרָהָ֜ם אֱלֹהֵ֥י יִצְחָ֛ק וֵֽאלֹהֵ֥י יַֽעֲקֹ֖ב שְׁלָחַ֣נִי אֲלֵיכֶ֑ם זֶה־שְּׁמִ֣י לְעֹלָ֔ם וְזֶ֥ה זִכְרִ֖י לְדֹ֥ר דֹּֽר:
Tanakh

We can see from that translation how the Jews interpreted God's name....and its meaning....
"Ehyeh asher ehyeh (I will be what I will be)" which is clearly not "I AM"...or "I Exist"

Even Strongs, which renders verse 14 as..." And God said to Moses, “I AM WHO I AM.” And He said, “Thus you shall say to the children of Israel, ‘I AM has sent me to you.’ ”(NASB)....the footnote reads..."Related to the name of God, YHWH, rendered LORD, which is derived from the verb HAYAH, to be. ]........(Not I AM)

Yet we see in most translations "I AM" is the accepted translation, when that was not the meaning of God's name in Hebrew at all. Some research will reveal the reason why Christendom does not want God's name mentioned, just like the Jews who refused to utter it. There is no command or sanction from God to withdraw his name from our speech. As you can see in V 15 quoted above, God said.... "This is My name forever, and this is how I should be mentioned in every generation."

It was just another way for the Jews to be disobedient. Perhaps the real reason was not that it was too sacred to be uttered, but that some were making frivilous oaths in Jehovah's name and failing to honor them, thus "taking Jehovah's name in vain". It was easier to stop saying it, than it was to punish the culprits.

Christendom also has an agenda concerning God's name that His word contradicts. The meaning of God's name was not a statement of his existence, (the Jews already knew who their God was) but it was a statement of his intent with regard to his chosen nation....he would BE whatever he needed to BE in order to fulfill his purpose towards them.

We see in Israel's history a propensity to rebel and to disobey their God....he did what was necessary in response to their actions....he could be their teacher, their judge, their comforter or their executioner, depending on what they chose to do of their own free will. He was going to bring his Messiah into the world through them, regardless of how difficult they would make it.....and so because of their waywardness he had to adjust who he chose to "BE", in order to deal with them and fulfill his promise to Abraham...they never made it easy.

Christendom too has rebelled and has translated their scripture incorrectly. If you read Exodus 3:13-15 and then read John 8:58 you will see why Christendom insists on rendering God's name as "I AM".

"Jesus said to them, “Most assuredly, I say to you, before Abraham was, I AM.” Does it makes sense now?......the agenda is to support something the Bible does not teach....Jesus was asked a question about his age, not his status as a deity.....his response should read...
"Most assuredly, I say to you, before Abraham was...I have been." IOW Jesus existed with his Father in heaven before Abraham was even born.
Strongs tells us that Jesus statement can be read that way and still be correct....it was a past tense question which should have had a past tense answer....but because that does not support their doctrine, it is mistranslated to give a false impression.

The truth is not easy or pleasant to contemplate after a lifetime of believing just one way, but once you know the truth and you see it....you cannot reject it.