God or LORD God, Which is it?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States Minor Outlying Islands
Simple, its both.
ha or maybe neither, even though virtually all of Yah's Names are xlated to us that way now
a mere shadow of the orig, usually
"Lord" is obv an Englyshe Title, and "God" is a quite generic term right, satan is even a "lord"
but hey, as you believe, so are you right

Dcopymope

May 22, 2016
Motor City
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
ha or maybe neither, even though virtually all of Yah's Names are xlated to us that way now
a mere shadow of the orig, usually
"Lord" is obv an Englyshe Title, and "God" is a quite generic term right, satan is even a "lord"
but hey, as you believe, so are you right

Fine, then just speak the original language and call him elohim. It makes no difference to me, nor does it really matter to your savior for that matter. It doesn't suddenly mean there was two different creations that occurred like the o.p claims. I prefer to speak the language I've been speaking since the first day I could actually formulate words. Really, all this talk about his name, or what it should be or how it should be pronounced is petty. Its just a sound floating in the air from one ear to another in the end.

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States Minor Outlying Islands
Fine, then just speak the original language and call him elohim. It makes no difference to me, nor does it really matter to your savior for that matter. It doesn't suddenly mean there was two different creations that occurred like the o.p claims. I prefer to speak the language I've been speaking since the first day I could actually formulate words. Really, all this talk about his name, or what it should be or how it should be pronounced is petty. Its just a sound floating in the air from one ear to another in the end.
well, you say that and no doubt believe it but funny thing imo about speaking the language that you have been speaking since the first day you could formulate words is, see how you are speaking in definitives, this is that, that is this, just do this, just do that, as if "elohim" was the only ref to Yah in Scripture, when theres like thirty or something, all imparting diff information, which should matter to us, not Yah, shouldnt it? So, the satan's dialect is telling, wadr

I agree the arguments about how we say "Joshua" now are pointless though, sure. And two diff creations in the op? Ah yes, not buying that prolly, but there is a change in how Yah is addressed in Scripture there, even if i wouldnt insert "lord" in there if my life depended on it. Why do you think the change?

Truth OT

Oct 24, 2019
Cypress
Faith
Agnostic
Country
United States
To someone who has no attachment to God he is just God. To family it is Jehovah, which God's children would not write out, for it was sacred.

I want to make sure I've grasped your points accurately.
- God is not a name, but rather a title like 'king', 'president', 'sheriff', etc., right?
- The actual name of the god of Abraham, Issac, and Jacob is Yah aka (Yahweh translated to Jehovah). Is this right?
- For those who are "truly Yah's children," He reveals himself and his actual name, correct?

Rocky Wiley

Aug 28, 2012
Southeast USA
I want to make sure I've grasped your points accurately.
- God is not a name, but rather a title like 'king', 'president', 'sheriff', etc., right?
- The actual name of the god of Abraham, Issac, and Jacob is Yah aka (Yahweh translated to Jehovah). Is this right?
- For those who are "truly Yah's children," He reveals himself and his actual name, correct?
Deu 7:6 For thou art an holy people unto the LORD thy God: the LORD thy God hath chosen thee to be a special people unto himself, above all people that are upon the face of the earth.

Dcopymope

May 22, 2016
Motor City
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
well, you say that and no doubt believe it but funny thing imo about speaking the language that you have been speaking since the first day you could formulate words is, see how you are speaking in definitives, this is that, that is this, just do this, just do that, as if "elohim" was the only ref to Yah in Scripture, when theres like thirty or something, all imparting diff information, which should matter to us, not Yah, shouldnt it? So, the satan's dialect is telling, wadr

I agree the arguments about how we say "Joshua" now are pointless though, sure. And two diff creations in the op? Ah yes, not buying that prolly, but there is a change in how Yah is addressed in Scripture there, even if i wouldnt insert "lord" in there if my life depended on it. Why do you think the change?

Hell if I know of the reason. The word "LORD" according to the Lexicon is "the proper name of the God of Israel". It makes no difference to me in the end though. Like you said, he was referred to by many names in the old testament. The problem with the mindset of many Christians is they treat this like God is some computer governed by a library of C++ code with a series of "if"/"then" statements, or 0's and 1's. If I say the right name correctly at the right time, then it must garner a response. This is what all this foolishness has come to.

Truth OT

Oct 24, 2019
Cypress
Faith
Agnostic
Country
United States
Deu 7:6 For thou art an holy people unto the LORD thy God: the LORD thy God hath chosen thee to be a special people unto himself, above all people that are upon the face of the earth.

So you are further applying this verse to yourself and others today to make a case that Yah, Jehovah of Armies, the might one of ancient Israel, has exulted those who believe as you do above those that do not? In what ways does this exaltation differentiate parties? Should it affect rights, freedoms, how people are allowed to treat the non-exulted, and the privileges each gets? Please shine a clear and specific light on the details.

Rocky Wiley

Aug 28, 2012
Southeast USA
So you are further applying this verse to yourself and others today to make a case that Yah, Jehovah of Armies, the might one of ancient Israel, has exulted those who believe as you do above those that do not? In what ways does this exaltation differentiate parties? Should it affect rights, freedoms, how people are allowed to treat the non-exulted, and the privileges each gets? Please shine a clear and specific light on the details.
I believe the word of God!

101G

Jul 20, 2012
Mobile, Al.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
addressing the OP, Interesting answers, not saying that any are right or wrong, but consider this. JESUS/Yeshua, who is God personal Name is LORD, supportive scripture, John 20:28 "And Thomas answered and said unto him, My Lord and my God. but is Jesus LORD? let the scriptures speak, John 1:3 "All things were made by him; and without him was not any thing made that was made”. the verse is clearly speaking of the “WORD” who is JESUS in John 1:1, correct ..... Good, now this, Isaiah 44:24 "Thus saith the LORD, thy redeemer, and he that formed thee from the womb, I am the LORD that maketh all things; that stretcheth forth the heavens alone; that spreadeth abroad the earth by myself”.

Hold it, so it’s the “LORD”, all cap who “MADE ALL THINGS?” right, well is it not Jesus the Word in John 1:3 who, “MADE ALL THINGS?”, who is the “Lord”, and God according to John 20:28. (BINGO). so your title states, “God or LORD God, Which is it?”. it’s JESUS the LORD, the Lord God almighty… :eek:, yes, he's "LORD", and "Lord", and he is "GOD. one person.

PICJAG.

APAK

Feb 4, 2018
Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
God who is he?
A few years back I was watching a Professor of Theology giving a bible study on Genesis. His wife was Jewish and he also spoke about some of her knowledge.

Gen 1:1 In the beginning God created the heaven and the earth.
God created

Gen 1:26 And God said, Let us make man in our image, after our likeness: and let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over the cattle, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth.
God said, let us (had to be angels)

Gen 1:27 So God created man in his own image, in the image of God created he him; male and female created he them.
God created and had input from the angels

Gen 1:28 And God blessed them, and God said unto them, Be fruitful, and multiply, and replenish the earth, and subdue it: and have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over every living thing that moveth upon the earth.

Gen 2:1 Thus the heavens and the earth were finished, and all the host of them.

Gen 2:4 These are the generations of the heavens and of the earth when they were created, in the day that the LORD God made the earth and the heavens,

Now something new shows up ‘LORD’ which is not a title but the name of the same God of Gen 1 of which the Jew could not use because it was sacred. The Professor when he asked his wife why LORD is used. She said “there are many Gods, but only one LORD God of Israel. His name is scared so we replace it with LORD”.

Gen 2:7 And the LORD God formed man of the dust of the ground, and breathed into his nostrils the breath of life; and man became a living soul.

LORD God formed a man, no woman.

Gen 2:8 And the LORD God planted a garden eastward in Eden; and there he put the man whom he had formed.

This man was not told to go and replenish the earth, he was put in a garden.

Gen 2:15 And the LORD God took the man, and put him into the garden of Eden to dress it and to keep it.

Now, LORD God tells the man keep up the garden.

God created mankind and LORD God formed ‘Adam’ and then later ‘Eve’.

If you can grasp this, the whole bible will become new to you.

Gen 2:19 And out of the ground the LORD God formed every beast of the field, and every fowl of the air; and brought them unto Adam to see what he would call them: and whatsoever Adam called every living creature, that was the name thereof.

LORD God formed every beast of the field, that would be domesticated animals.

Gen 2:21 And the LORD God caused a deep sleep to fall upon Adam, and he slept: and he took one of his ribs, and closed up the flesh instead thereof;

Gen 2:22 And the rib, which the LORD God had taken from man, made he a woman, and brought her unto the man.

LORD God made a woman from the rib of Adam.

Do you see the difference between Gen 1 and Gen 2?

You can now read through your bible and know who LORD God represents.

Just in this short study one can see that there was a creation of mankind while the other was a man who was formed and this man has a covenant with God.

When you read through the Old Testament you will see !

RW:
Addressing your OP of your Genesis Chapter 1 and 2...

When the Bible, at least in the OT speaks of YHWH it refers to the PERSONAL NAME of his people, their Father. This is translated into English as 'LORD' all caps for 99 percent of the time. In Genesis Chapter the English word 'God' is used. An OLd English Germanic derivative. Now this is the generic title NOT YHWH's name. In Hebrew this word is called Elohi(y)m as the generic title. From Chapter 2:4 and the end, the English translated words "LORD God' are used that in Hebrew would be translated as 'Adonai YHWH.' In English this would be translated as LORD Lord (reversed). Adonai means the the TITLE not personal name, Master, the one in charge and one that is given due respect. Now the English translators thought this translation LORD Lord would be unclear so they changed it to LORD God...YHWH the Master etc. The Personal name plus the title or role of YHWH use in the context of the passage.

I believe the reason why you have a difference between Chapter 1 the title Elohim only as the mighty One, for God and Chapter 2 'Adonai YHWH' for God is for emphasis on the context and what was occurring in each Chapter. Chapter one is like a general summary of activities by YHWH even though he is not mention there as such, only as a title. And Chapter 2 now becomes more personal as it related more to his created people and his works for mankind.

Further, when the Judahites were in Babylonian exile, they were afraid to use the name YHWH is vain, so they invented a reference/warning expression by adding in the vowels of the word Adonai into YHWH. And so when they came to read, write or speak YHWH they would think or say 'Yahowah.' They never used this expression however, it was only used to warn them to use the term Adonai (Lord) for YHWH. Unfortunately. many of the English translators eventually transformed YHWH into the English term, Jehovah. It was not intended as the new name of YHWH. Also note that YHWH became Yahweh when vowels were inserted into the Hebrew text (before 1000 AD). The Hebrew original text had no vowels..

Now also note that the Hebrew term Adonai generally is translated as 'Lord 'although in a few cases can be translated as 'LORD.'

This subject is important....and I hope I made this short response of this big subject useful to you.

Bless you,

APAK

Last edited:

Rocky Wiley

Aug 28, 2012
Southeast USA
RW:
Addressing your OP of your Genesis Chapter 1 and 2...

When the Bible, at least in the OT speaks of YHWH it refers to the PERSONAL NAME of his people, their Father. This is translated into English as 'LORD' all caps for 99 percent of the time. In Genesis Chapter the English word 'God' is used. An OLd English Germanic derivative. Now this is the generic title NOT YHWH's name. In Hebrew this word is called Elohi(y)m as the generic title. From Chapter 2:4 and the end, the English translated words "LORD God' are used that in Hebrew would be translated as 'Adonai YHWH.' In English this would be translated as LORD Lord (reversed). Adonai means the the TITLE not personal name, Master, the one in charge and one that is given due respect. Now the English translators thought this translation LORD Lord would be unclear so they changed it to LORD God...YHWH the Master etc. The Personal name plus the title or role of YHWH use in the context of the passage.

I believe the reason why you have a difference between Chapter 1 the title Elohim only as the mighty One, for God and Chapter 2 'Adonai YHWH' for God is for emphasis on the context and what was occurring in each Chapter. Chapter one is like a general summary of activities by YHWH even though he is not mention there as such, only as a title. And Chapter 2 now becomes more personal as it related more to his created people and his works for mankind.

Further, when the Judahites were in Babylonian exile, they were afraid to use the name YHWH is vain, so they invented a reference/warning expression by adding in the vowels of the word Adonai into YHWH. And so when they came to read, write or speak YHWH they would think or say 'Yahowah.' They never used this expression however, it was only used to warn them to use the term Adonai (Lord) for YHWH. Unfortunately. many of the English translators eventually transformed YHWH into the English term, Jehovah. It was not intended as the new name of YHWH. Also note that YHWH became Yahweh when vowels were inserted into the Hebrew text (before 1000 AD). The Hebrew original text had no vowels..

Now also note that the Hebrew term Adonai generally is translated as 'Lord 'although in a few cases can be translated as 'LORD.'

This subject is important....and I hope I made this short response of this big subject useful to you.

Bless you,

APAK
Thank you for giving a very polite response.

The bible gives different meanings because, I believe, it is not for everyone to believe. Like Jesus said he spoke in parables so that some would not understand.
Mat 13:13 Therefore speak I to them in parables: because they seeing see not; and hearing they hear not, neither do they understand.

Anyway the difference in God and LORD God is for solid reasons. God in Gen 1 did not create men as his sons as he did in Gen 2 when it says LORD God formed Adam.

Luk 3:38 Which was the son of Enos, which was the son of Seth, which was the son of Adam, which was the son of God.

Last edited: