God saves only those He “knows (approves of)”

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

mjrhealth

Mar 15, 2009
Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
I could show you where Jesus repeated each and every one of the Ten Commandments...but it would be a long post, and you probably wouldn't read it anyway...
And Jesus did as He was required to fufill teh law, He did as He said He would do, and at teh cross he said. IT IS FINISHED" and the old was done away with and the new was established.

this bit

Luk 5:36 And he spake also a parable unto them; No man putteth a piece of a new garment upon an old; if otherwise, then both the new maketh a rent, and the piece that was taken out of the new agreeth not with the old.
Luk 5:37 And no man putteth new wine into old bottles; else the new wine will burst the bottles, and be spilled, and the bottles shall perish.
Luk 5:38 But new wine must be put into new bottles; and both are preserved.
Luk 5:39 No man also having drunk old wine straightway desireth new: for he saith, The old is better.

Learn it, ask Jesus what it means.

a little help

Act 2:13 Others mocking said, These men are full of new wine.

Zachary

Sep 24, 2015
B.C., Canada
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
The Barrd said:
What hard sayings?
The hard sayings of Jesus are called "hard" ... 'cause they're hard for most believers to accept.
Such like your current favorite: Those who love Me will obey My commandments!
Most of today's believers are taught that it's not necessary to obey Jesus' commandments
... not those in His dreams, but those which are written in red.

Barrd

His Humble Servant
Jul 27, 2015
...following a Jewish carpenter...
Zachary said:
The hard sayings of Jesus are called "hard" ... 'cause they're hard for most believers to accept.
Such like your current favorite: Those who love Me will obey My commandments!
Most of today's believers are taught that it's not necessary to obey Jesus' commandments
... not those in His dreams, but those which are written in red.
That's because they are being taught a twisted version of Paul's epistles. Paul never taught that the law was "done away". He kept the law himself, and encouraged others to do it.
Folks just need to remember that Paul was a Jewish lawyer. Have you ever tried to get a straight answer out of a Jewish lawyer?
He does not replace Jesus...his job is to preach Jesus.
As Peter says, those who are unlearned and unstable twist his teachings to their own destruction.
Unlearned, as in unfamiliar with those "hard sayings" of the Lord, Jesus Christ...

Yes, Jesus' statement that those who love Him will obey His commandments is one of my favorites. But my very favorite of Jesus' sayings is this:

Joh 13:34 A new commandment I give unto you, That ye love one another; as I have loved you, that ye also love one another.
Joh 13:35 By this shall all men know that ye are my disciples, if ye have love one to another.

Zachary

Sep 24, 2015
B.C., Canada
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
The Barrd said:
Folks just need to remember that Paul was a Jewish lawyer. Have you ever tried to get a straight answer out of a Jewish lawyer?
But my very favorite of Jesus' sayings is this:
Joh 13:34 A new commandment I give unto you, That ye love one another; as I have loved you, that ye also love one another.
Joh 13:35 By this shall all men know that ye are my disciples, if ye have love one to another.
Yes, Paul certainly did NOT write to the churches in a straight-forward manner!
Most American believers today do NOT have the first clue as to what Paul meant.
Because he veiled his many dire warnings with copious amounts of the nice stuff:
edifications, exhortations, encouragements, blessings, promises, etc. ...
yes, even to the point of outright lying!!!
For those who don't believe me ... read and understand Romans 6.
Which is what I always say ... and no one responds with, "I get it."

Why is it that Jesus tells us to do stuff that He did NOT do?
Just one example:
Was He very loving to the Pharisees when He called them all kinds of names?
But, perhaps He was loving to His disciples (and to us) when He told them
(in Luke) that they were "evil" -- as He was relaying a great spiritual Truth.
Also, nice hint to everyone reading about who/what they are!

FHII

Apr 9, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The Barrd said:
That's because they are being taught a twisted version of Paul's epistles. Paul never taught that the law was "done away". He kept the law himself, and encouraged others to do it.
He does not replace Jesus...his job is to preach Jesus.
As Peter says, those who are unlearned and unstable twist his teachings to their own destruction.
Unlearned, as in unfamiliar with those "hard sayings" of the Lord, Jesus Christ...

Yes, Jesus' statement that those who love Him will obey His commandments is one of my favorites. But my very favorite of Jesus' sayings is this:

Actually Paul did teach that the law was "done away". In fact, he used that very same wording, and when he did, he made very direct reference to the 10 commandments.

To say that Paul kept the law isn't really true. He believed in morals so it seems that way. But he at that point wasn't trying to keep the law and he certainly wasn't pointing to his performance as righteousness.

He encouaged others to be moral, but no... He didn't push the law on anyone. In fact the whole point of galatians was to scold them for going back under the law.

I've never talked to a Jewish lawyer. I've talked to a few lawyers before and they gave pretty straight answers except when they were asked to predict how the judge will rule on a case. Besides, paul wasn't a jewish lawyer. He was an apostle. Calling him a lawyer is slighting his more important calling. In any sense, I don't want to talk too much more about this.... I don't like stereotypes. In this case its a little too close to anti-semitism for me.

People who like to stay under the law LOVE to speak of that verse in peter's epistle about Paul being hard to understand. In reality, paul was very easy to understand. To the Jew he was a Jew, to the Greek, a Greek.... He didn't come with flowery or enticing words.

So the question is who had a hard time understanding him? The pagans didn't; they knew exactly what he meant. His followers had a hard time in the beginning, but Paul straightened them out. The hardlined Jews who zealously followed the law? Yep! But they didn't believe Jesus either, so i don't think that is who peter was referring to.

That leaves only one other group: those who try to mix grace and works.

There's alot of those folks here and they don't understand Paul either.

I'm glad you finally found John 13:34. Maybe the next step is for you to understand that this is one of the two commandments he was teaching us to obey, and not the 10 commandments and thr rest of the lae of Moses.