God saves only those He “knows (approves of)”

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

mjrhealth

Mar 15, 2009
Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
taught that the law was holy, and just and good...
dont disagree with that at all.

but.

Rom 7:4 Wherefore, my brethren, ye also are become dead to the law by the body of Christ; that ye should be married to another, even to him who is raised from the dead, that we should bring forth fruit unto God.
Rom 7:5 For when we were in the flesh, the motions of sins, which were by the law, did work in our members to bring forth fruit unto death.
Rom 7:6 But now we are delivered from the law, that being dead wherein we were held; that we should serve in newness of spirit, and not in the oldness of the letter

Gal 2:19 For I through the law am dead to the law, that I might live unto God.
Gal 2:20 I am crucified with Christ: nevertheless I live; yet not I, but Christ liveth in me: and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by the faith of the Son of God, who loved me, and gave himself for me.
Gal 2:21 I do not frustrate the grace of God: for if righteousness come by the law, then Christ is dead in vain.

Choose, Christ or teh law, to who will you be wed.

Zachary

Sep 24, 2015
B.C., Canada
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
The Barrd said:
Anyway, it is true...most "Christians" seem to know Paul better than they know Jesus ...
For years, I was terrified of "the hard sayings of Jesus" ... and I ignored them.
And I find many today who are also terrified of them ...
and ignore them because His teachings just are not taught in their churches.

IMO, most pastors today are mere "hirelings" ...
and don't really care for their sheep enough to teach them the whole Truth.

FHII

Apr 9, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The Barrd said:
Not when they can quote from Paul, but have no idea what their Lord has commanded, no.

Anyway, it is true...most "Christians" seem to know Paul better than they know Jesus, and this bothers me...especially since, from what I see, they don't really know Paul as well as they think they do. Paul never taught that the law was "done away"...he kept the law himself, and taught that the law was holy, and just and good...

Well the interesting thing is that I find it is actually those who keep up the "obey... keep his commandments!" crowd who actually have no idea what the Lord commanded. They seem to think it was the 10 Commandments or the rest of the Law of Moses. But it's not. I've brought it out several times and it's clearly written what the commandments Jesus wanted us to keep. It's found in the Gospels, 1 John, James and even in Paul's writing (even though we aren't to read what he wrote).

Most Christians "seem" to know Paul better. It only seems that way to you. It's probably not true at all, but it seems that way to you because that's probably what irks you the most in the NT. It's like mushooms in a salad. There can be one sliver of a mushroom in a salad and it just kills the whole salad for me. Well, Paul must be your shroom!

StanJ

Lifelong student of God's Word.
May 13, 2014
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
The Barrd said:
That seems to be a favorite game around here, Stan.
Still, you have to testify when and where you can.
I prefer that people actually stick around to discuss rather than snipe and run. But I guess it takes all kinds, a forum to make.

Barrd

His Humble Servant
Jul 27, 2015
...following a Jewish carpenter...
mjrhealth said:

but.

Rom 7:4 Wherefore, my brethren, ye also are become dead to the law by the body of Christ; that ye should be married to another, even to him who is raised from the dead, that we should bring forth fruit unto God.
Rom 7:5 For when we were in the flesh, the motions of sins, which were by the law, did work in our members to bring forth fruit unto death.
Rom 7:6 But now we are delivered from the law, that being dead wherein we were held; that we should serve in newness of spirit, and not in the oldness of the letter

Gal 2:20 I am crucified with Christ: nevertheless I live; yet not I, but Christ liveth in me: and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by the faith of the Son of God, who loved me, and gave himself for me.
Gal 2:21 I do not frustrate the grace of God: for if righteousness come by the law, then Christ is dead in vain.

Don't forget...faith without works is dead.
Can dead faith save you?

Jesus says that those who love Him also obey. I love Him.

FHII

Apr 9, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The Barrd said:
Don't forget...faith without works is dead.
Can dead faith save you?

Now,now.... Thats not in the gospels,is it?

Barrd

His Humble Servant
Jul 27, 2015
FHII said:
No.
But this is:

Joh 14:15 If ye love me, keep my commandments.
Joh 14:21 He that hath my commandments, and keepeth them, he it is that loveth me: and he that loveth me shall be loved of my Father, and I will love him, and will manifest myself to him.
Joh 14:23 Jesus answered and said unto him, If a man love me, he will keep my words: and my Father will love him, and we will come unto him, and make our abode with him.
Joh 14:24 He that loveth me not keepeth not my sayings: and the word which ye hear is not mine, but the Father's which sent me.

Barrd

His Humble Servant
Jul 27, 2015
FHII said:
And this is:

Mat 5:17 Think not that I am come to destroy the law, or the prophets: I am not come to destroy, but to fulfil.
Mat 5:18 For verily I say unto you, Till heaven and earth pass, one jot or one tittle shall in no wise pass from the law, till all be fulfilled.
Mat 5:19 Whosoever therefore shall break one of these least commandments, and shall teach men so, he shall be called the least in the kingdom of heaven: but whosoever shall do and teach them, the same shall be called great in the kingdom of heaven.
Mat 5:20 For I say unto you, That except your righteousness shall exceed the righteousness of the scribes and Pharisees, ye shall in no case enter into the kingdom of heaven.

I'm sure I could find plenty more.

FHII

Apr 9, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
...and once again, you have to know what his commandments are.

Barrd

His Humble Servant
Jul 27, 2015
mjrhealth said:

but.

So, let me clarify...I choose Christ, who says "My sheep hear my voice and they follow Me..."

Barrd

His Humble Servant
Jul 27, 2015
FHII said:
...and once again, you have to know what his commandments are.
For that, you need to hang out in the red writing.

I could show you where Jesus repeated each and every one of the Ten Commandments...but it would be a long post, and you probably wouldn't read it anyway...

Barrd

His Humble Servant
Jul 27, 2015
Zachary said:
For years, I was terrified of "the hard sayings of Jesus" ... and I ignored them.
And I find many today who are also terrified of them ...
and ignore them because His teachings just are not taught in their churches.

IMO, most pastors today are mere "hirelings" ...
and don't really care for their sheep enough to teach them the whole Truth.
What hard sayings?

You are right...pastors are hired to pour oil on those itching ears. They preach what they are told to preach, because their job depends on it.

FHII

Apr 9, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The Barrd said:
For that, you need to hang out in the red writing.

I could show you where Jesus repeated each and every one of the Ten Commandments...but it would be a long post, and you probably wouldn't read it anyway...
See, the thing is i can hang it out in red. I have told you once recently i can, and have done so in the past. You obviously didn't read it recently, nor in the past. So i am not cobfident you will read it if i posted it again.

I have read your post were you talked about Jesus commenting on the 10 commandments. And i commented on it. You pretty much jeered me on my comment so i know that you know i read your comnentary.

Barrd

His Humble Servant
Jul 27, 2015
FHII said:
See, the thing is i can hang it out in red. I have told you once recently i can, and have done so in the past. You obviously didn't read it recently, nor in the past. So i am not cobfident you will read it if i posted it again.

I have read your post were you talked about Jesus commenting on the 10 commandments. And i commented on it. You pretty much jeered me on my comment so i know that you know i read your comnentary.
Must have been before I got so sick.
Not that it matters. I believe what I believe, and there isn't much chance that you will change my mind.
I'd one heck of a lot rather be found arguing on the side of obedience, and be found in error, than be arguing on the side of lawlessness and be found in error.

Jesus says:
If you love me, obey my commandments.

mjrhealth

Mar 15, 2009
Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
So, let me clarify...I choose Christ, who says "My sheep hear my voice and they follow Me..."
Im glad, at least you are one of a few who believe you do.