God the Holy Spirit - third person of the Godhead

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

BobRyan

Jul 27, 2018
Atlanta
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
As we all know the Bible defines

Deut 6:4 ONE GOD
Matthew 28:19 - in THREE PERSONS

This thread is about the Bible support for the personhood and Deity of the Holy Spirit.

John 16
7 Nevertheless I tell you the truth; It is expedient for you that I go away: for if I go not away, the Comforter will not come unto you; but if I depart, I will send him unto you.
8 And when he is come, he will reprove the world of sin, and of righteousness, and of judgment:
9 Of sin, because they believe not on me;
10 Of righteousness, because I go to my Father, and ye see me no more;
11 Of judgment, because the prince of this world is judged.
12 I have yet many things to say unto you, but ye cannot bear them now.
13 Howbeit when he, the Spirit of truth, is come, he will guide you into all truth: for he shall not speak of himself; but whatsoever he shall hear, that shall he speak: and he will shew you things to come.
14 He shall glorify me: for he shall receive of mine, and shall shew it unto you.
15 All thin 7 For there are three that bear witness in heaven: the Father, the Word, and the Holy Spirit; and these three are onegs that the Father hath are mine: therefore said I, that he shall take of mine, and shall shew it unto you.

Matthew 28
19 Go therefore and make disciples of all the nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit,

1 John 5
7 For there are three that bear witness in heaven: the Father, the Word, and the Holy Spirit; and these three are one

Matt 12
31 “Therefore I say to you, every sin and blasphemy will be forgiven men, but the blasphemy against the Spirit will not be forgiven men. 32 Anyone who speaks a word against the Son of Man, it will be forgiven him; but whoever speaks against the Holy Spirit, it will not be forgiven him, either in this age or in the age to come.

Acts 15
28 For it seemed good to the Holy Spirit, and to us, to lay upon you no greater burden than these necessary things: 29 that you abstain from things offered to idols, from blood, from things strangled,

Rom 8
16 The Spirit Himself bears witness with our spirit that we are children of God,

Acts 13
2 As they ministered to the Lord and fasted, the Holy Spirit said, “Now separate to Me Barnabas and Saul for the work to which I have called them.” 3 Then, having fasted and prayed, and laid hands on them, they sent them away.

Heb 3
7 Therefore, as the Holy Spirit says:
“Today, if you will hear His voice,
8 Do not harden your hearts as in the rebellion,
In the day of trial in the wilderness,
9 Where your fathers tested Me, tried Me,
And saw My works forty years.
10 Therefore I was angry with that generation,

========================================

The Holy Spirit shown to be a "person" in the Bible.

"The Holy Spirit SAID" Hebrews 3
"It seemed good TO THE HOLY SPIRIT and to us" Acts 15
"HE will guide you into ALL truth" John 16
He is "ANOTHER comforter/counselor/teacher" in addition to Christ -- John 14
"In the NAME of " the Father, the Son and the Holy Spirit - Matthew 28:19
HE convicts the WORLD of sin - John 16
"He who searches our hearts KNOWS the MIND of the Spirit" Romans 8:27
The Spirit "KNOWS the thoughts of of God" 1 Cor 2:11
"the Holy Spirit said,Set apart for Me Barnabas and Saul for the work to which I have called them.” Acts 13:2

Unlike most here, I do not see the trinity, (of any hue or shape, for there are many) as being essential Christian doctrine. Because the doctrine of trinity is based on implicit teachings, it is an assumed doctrine.

On the contrary it is based on paying attention to "Bible details" as noted above - rather than "holding them at a distance".

By your statement "rule" above we get --
"I do not believe in the Bible - because the word BIBLE is not in scripture and is merely implicit"
"I do not believe in going to church - because no NT statement says that someone -- went to church weekly, it is merely implicit"
"I do not believe in Children's Bible classes in church - because no NT statement says children were given bible lessons in church"
"I do not believe in allowing women to lead out in singing in church - because no NT statement says women were leading in singing in church"

The list is endless that way.

B

brakelite

"I do not believe in the Bible - because the word BIBLE is not in scripture and is merely implicit"
"I do not believe in going to church - because no NT statement says that someone -- went to church weekly, it is merely implicit"
"I do not believe in Children's Bible classes in church - because no NT statement says children were given bible lessons in church"
"I do not believe in allowing women to lead out in singing in church - because no NT statement says women were leading in singing in church"

None of the above are doctrines used in a creedal sense that calls me a heretic if I don't accept them.

Reactions: bbyrd009

BobRyan

Jul 27, 2018
Atlanta
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

None of the above are doctrines used in a creedal sense that calls me a heretic if I don't accept them.

Which is not "proof" of anything.

My argument was about your claim for proof or support of your position.

BTW - is it your claim that no creedal statements mention "Bible" or "Church" or weekly attendance at church or ...?

B

brakelite

“And this is life eternal, that they might know thee the only true God, and Jesus Christ, whom thou hast sent.” (Joh 17:3 AV)
"But to us there is but one God, the Father, of whom are all things, and we in him; and one Lord Jesus Christ, by whom are all things, and we by him." (1 Cor. 8:6)
" But ye are not in the flesh, but in the Spirit, if so be that the Spirit of God dwell in you. Now if any man have not the Spirit of Christ, he is none of his. And if Christ be in you, the body is dead because of sin; but the Spirit is life because of righteousness." (Romans 8:9,10) Note that this is also concerning the identity of the holy Spirit, not the nature. The Spirit spoken of here belongs to God and the Son...a shared Spirit which they share with us. The nature of God I believe is beyond any of our pay grades to understand beyond what has been explicitly revealed, for example the human nature of the Son. I do not deny that the Spirit in some way has a personality...it speaks, hears, is grieved; however it is clear that the holy Spirit is not a person in the same sense we know God or Jesus as persons. At least in our human reasoning what we describe as 'persons'. )
"That which we have seen and heard declare we unto you, that ye also may have fellowship with us: and truly our fellowship is with the Father, and with his Son Jesus Christ" (1 John 1:3)
"Who is a liar but he that denieth that Jesus is the Christ? He is antichrist, that denieth the Father and the Son. Whosoever denieth the Son, the same hath not the Father: (but) he that acknowledgeth the Son hath the Father also. Let that therefore abide in you, which ye have heard from the beginning. If that which ye have heard from the beginning shall remain in you, ye also shall continue in the Son, and in the Father."
(1 John2:22-24)
My argument was about your claim for proof or support of your position.
The above is my claim for proof and support.
I have some questions.
Is there anything in those verses you disagree with? For example, when Jesus was speaking to His Father (John 17:3) who was He addressing as "the only true God"?