God's Simple Blessings

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Frank Lee

Feb 23, 2017
Ouachita Mountains
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Haha.. I was raised hunting squirrels. They are very thick here. Raised as a hunter I believe 1 Timothy 4:8.

Chipmunks are cute... Until they get in your car and chew up $300 in wiring and your lights go out on the highway!

We've lived in the forest for fifty years and engaged with snakes and nearly every predator here. They've eaten hundreds of dollars in poultry. We have bears around too. I love all wildlife but have to control them where we live.

5245.jpeg
4 ft timber rattler hiding under my son's car hood! We kill rattlers, pygmy rattlers, copperheads, cottonmouths and black snakes as long as seven feet.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dave L

Prayer Warrior

Sep 20, 2018
U.S.A.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Haha.. I was raised hunting squirrels. They are very thick here. Raised as a hunter I believe 1 Timothy 4:8.

Chipmunks are cute... Until they get in your car and chew up $300 in wiring and your lights go out on the highway!

We've lived in the forest for fifty years and engaged with snakes and nearly every predator here. They've eaten hundreds of dollars in poultry. We have bears around too. I love all wildlife but have to control them where we live.

View attachment 4564
4 ft timber rattler hiding under my son's car hood! We kill rattlers, pygmy rattlers, copperheads, cottonmouths and black snakes as long as seven feet.
That's creepy! Did you shoot that snake?

Frank Lee

Feb 23, 2017
Ouachita Mountains
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
That's creepy! Did you shoot that snake?

Couldn't shoot it being on the engine. Had to fish it out then kill it. We've killed others some bigger. Wife saw one she said was a monster crawling across the rural road we live off of. She ran over it and it kept on going! She said it looked like a firehose and was at least ten feet in length. Probably an Eastern diamond back they get very large.

They are very poisonous!

Prayer Warrior

Sep 20, 2018
U.S.A.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Couldn't shoot it being on the engine. Had to fish it out then kill it. We've killed others some bigger. Wife saw one she said was a monster crawling across the rural road we live off of. She ran over it and it kept on going! She said it looked like a firehose and was at least ten feet in length. Probably an Eastern diamond back they get very large.

They are very poisonous!
I hate poisonous snakes!!! A friend of mine in West Texas couldn't let her children play in the yard because a rattlesnake had killed their Labrador Retriever--big dog!

We have mostly rat snakes and king snakes right around us, but I don't mind because they eat mice.

Frank Lee

Feb 23, 2017
Ouachita Mountains
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
King snakes are good neighbors. They kill rattlers. Black snakes are the only nonpoisonous snake I kill. They'll eat every egg and baby chick you have. Came into the chicken house one day to see a six footer with a chick in its mouth. I whacked him and he let it go. I've had them take two turns around bare calf as I tried to kill it. A creepy feeling serpent against your leg constricting!

CS1RF.jpg
CS5RF.jpg

D

Dave L

King snakes are good neighbors. They kill rattlers. Black snakes are the only nonpoisonous snake I kill. They'll eat every egg and baby chick you have. Came into the chicken house one day to see a six footer with a chick in its mouth. I whacked him and he let it go. I've had them take two turns around bare calf as I tried to kill it. A creepy feeling serpent against your leg constricting!

View attachment 4568
View attachment 4569
I see a few snakes along the bike trail every so often, but nothing like that. An interesting tid bit. Being the squirrel aficionado that I am, a hawk (or small eagle) had a squirrel in its talons flying off with it. I was on my bike and began praying something like "Lord do not let this be, make this stop". I had faith and knew the Lord heard me, and a bit later the hawk (eagle) dropped the squirrel into a thicket where it had a soft landing. I didn't pray for the bird to find a replacement meal though...

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America

View attachment 4564
WOW...

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Critters are a special gift from the Lord. I consider my squirrels to be the little angels the Lord sends by each day to make me happy.
My best friend used to trim and cut trees for a living. He was always finding baby squirrels orphaned by his activities. but he knew a lady who took care of them. He would keep one and give the rest to her. He used to ride a bicycle around town in his spare time with a squirrel on a leash with a special collar riding in the basket. Once the local newspaper took a picture of him and his squirrel on the bicycle and printed it on the front page. They called him the "squirrel man".

prashanthd

Aug 16, 2013
Hyderabad, India
Faith
Christian
Country
India
I think God has given birds and snakes for most of us here.:) This place being a city we have less birds and snakes now. When I was young I've seen woodpeckers, humming birds and few other birds whose names I never knew. The birds which live here are a treat during mornings and evenings due to high-rise buildings.
I've spent time chasing snakes away from our house when I was young. I've seen people killing cobras with sticks, never killed any(I was young those days).

Sharing a squirrel from India.(picture taken in monochrome) Enjoy!
photo6.JPG

Hidden In Him

May 10, 2018
Lafayette, LA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
My best friend used to trim and cut trees for a living. He was always finding baby squirrels orphaned by his activities. but he knew a lady who took care of them. He would keep one and give the rest to her. He used to ride a bicycle around town in his spare time with a squirrel on a leash with a special collar riding in the basket. Once the local newspaper took a picture of him and his squirrel on the bicycle and printed it on the front page. They called him the "squirrel man".

That's really cute. I once saved a young river otter who got his snout run over by a car. I nursed him back to health and was thinking about keeping him. But after doing some research I found out they like to cover a lot of territory, and I just couldn't in good conscience keep him caged up in a house or the backyard, so I let him loose again.

But I want otters and squirrels in Heaven (along with lions, panthers, tigers, dogs, wolves, leopards, jaguars, etc.). Whenever I see otters or squirrels pictured, they always seem to have a great attitude.

Reactions: Nancy and Helen

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
That's really cute. I once saved a young river otter who got his snout run over by a car. I nursed him back to health and was thinking about keeping him. But after doing some research I found out they like to cover a lot of territory, and I just couldn't in good conscience keep him caged up in a house or the backyard, so I let him loose again.

But I want otters and squirrels in Heaven (along with lions, panthers, tigers, dogs, wolves, leopards, jaguars, etc.). Whenever I see otters or squirrels pictured, they always seem to have a great attitude.
I like watching the wild critters on documentaries or if any are around in my yard, but I've never had anything more exotic than a white rat, a turtle and a multitude of dogs. My mother did not like my rat. I used to keep him in a home made rabbit hutch inside a storage portion of my step father's chicken house. Will we have the ones we have cared for after our time here is finished? God knows.

Over the years, my friend, a naturalized US citizen born in Mexico, had many squirrel pets. He never had more one at the time but the one went with him most everywhere. They live a good while but eventually he tried to release them back to the wild to see if they would leave. One that left found a wild girlfriend in the tress close to his home. The fellow would come regularly to eat out of my friends hand. The girl would stay back but eat food set out for her while he watched. Eventually the wild squirrel would also come to eat out of his hand although she would never climb onto his shoulder the boy raised in his home would do. Somewhere I believe I have pictures of him and his squirrels. I'll have to see if I can find any to display here.

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
I like watching the wild critters on documentaries or if any are around in my yard, but I've never had anything more exotic than a white rat, a turtle and a multitude of dogs. My mother did not like my rat. I used to keep him in a home made rabbit hutch inside a storage portion of my step father's chicken house. Will we have the ones we have cared for after our time here is finished? God knows.

Over the years, my friend, a naturalized US citizen born in Mexico, had many squirrel pets. He never had more one at the time but the one went with him most everywhere. They live a good while but eventually he tried to release them back to the wild to see if they would leave. One that left found a wild girlfriend in the tress close to his home. The fellow would come regularly to eat out of my friends hand. The girl would stay back but eat food set out for her while he watched. Eventually the wild squirrel would also come to eat out of his hand although she would never climb onto his shoulder the boy raised in his home would do. Somewhere I believe I have pictures of him and his squirrels. I'll have to see if I can find any to display here.
I wonder, would all the squirrels in Mexico be the North American grey squirrel?

God made them all, anyway.

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I wonder, would all the squirrels in Mexico be the North American grey squirrel?

God made them all, anyway.
I really would not know. My friend although born in Mexico was already a US citizen living in Oklahoma when I met him 1976. He simply rescued the squirrels which his tree work in Oklahoma caused to be orphans. But... as you say, God made them all in any case.

Reactions: Dave L and farouk

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
I really would not know. My friend although born in Mexico was already a US citizen living in Oklahoma when I met him 1976. He simply rescued the squirrels which his tree work in Oklahoma caused to be orphans. But... as you say, God made them all in any case.
It's interesting that in parts of Great Britain the squirrels are red. The North American grey squirrel has also been introduced and apparently the two types of squirrel fight each other! Apparently the grey squirrel has driven the remaining red squirrels to the north of the country!

Reactions: Nancy and amadeus

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It's interesting that in parts of Great Britain the squirrels are red. The North American grey squirrel has also been introduced and apparently the two types of squirrel fight each other! Apparently the grey squirrel has driven the remaining red squirrels to the north of the country!
I was not aware of this. Of course I knew there different varieties, but I guess it would be unusual if they all always got along. But, maybe they get along better than people do?

Reactions: Nancy and farouk

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
I think God has given birds and snakes for most of us here.:) This place being a city we have less birds and snakes now. When I was young I've seen woodpeckers, humming birds and few other birds whose names I never knew. The birds which live here are a treat during mornings and evenings due to high-rise buildings.
I've spent time chasing snakes away from our house when I was young. I've seen people killing cobras with sticks, never killed any(I was young those days).

Sharing a squirrel from India.(picture taken in monochrome) Enjoy!
View attachment 4577
Great photo!

Blueberry

Nov 2, 2018
Texas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I was enjoy a great diversity of wildlife over the last 20 years since moving to the edge of town. About 15 years ago set up some security cameras and found that they were actually most beneficial for wildlife and weather events than crime or trespassers.

But recent construction over the last couple of years has run off much of the critters. The deer do not come back here anymore and luxury homes encircled me with tall wooden fencing and they seem spooked by being trapped back here. Coyote never come near anymore. Only have seen a fox occasionally on video. The deer used to come either as a huge number of young ones or in distinct family units.

It is a squirrels paradise back here though. Man can they be noisy. Their chirps. Used to have some wild rabbits or hares staying in my huge blackberry bushes. Have not seen them in awhile. New folks moved in with dogs that are occasionally let loose.

But it is the bird hierarchy that remains. Use to be in this pecking order, Mockingbirds, Blue Jays and Cardinals. Had a pair of each. Then other mocking birds moved in. There is a red hawk that often comes around. Migratory birds use to stop by the pond twice a year for a day or so. Some type of crane. But lately a pair of crows have moved in and a red headed woodpecker has been here for months now working on a dead pine tree. Both are very noisy. The woodpecker, not for tapping, but a chirp of its own. They all start up when I come outside. In my own yard, complaining about me.

Used to have many butterflies here until all the birds got squished over into my trees from the development. But still a fair number of dragon flies. About 4 or 5 unique pairs at one point. Their behavior is so odd. Its like they follow me around and circle about me.

Good can be merciful in how he takes a pet away without undue suffering sometimes.