God's Simple Blessings

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
I was enjoy a great diversity of wildlife over the last 20 years since moving to the edge of town. About 15 years ago set up some security cameras and found that they were actually most beneficial for wildlife and weather events than crime or trespassers.

But recent construction over the last couple of years has run off much of the critters. The deer do not come back here anymore and luxury homes encircled me with tall wooden fencing and they seem spooked by being trapped back here. Coyote never come near anymore. Only have seen a fox occasionally on video. The deer used to come either as a huge number of young ones or in distinct family units.

It is a squirrels paradise back here though. Man can they be noisy. Their chirps. Used to have some wild rabbits or hares staying in my huge blackberry bushes. Have not seen them in awhile. New folks moved in with dogs that are occasionally let loose.

But it is the bird hierarchy that remains. Use to be in this pecking order, Mockingbirds, Blue Jays and Cardinals. Had a pair of each. Then other mocking birds moved in. There is a red hawk that often comes around. Migratory birds use to stop by the pond twice a year for a day or so. Some type of crane. But lately a pair of crows have moved in and a red headed woodpecker has been here for months now working on a dead pine tree. Both are very noisy. The woodpecker, not for tapping, but a chirp of its own. They all start up when I come outside. In my own yard, complaining about me.

Used to have many butterflies here until all the birds got squished over into my trees from the development. But still a fair number of dragon flies. About 4 or 5 unique pairs at one point. Their behavior is so odd. Its like they follow me around and circle about me.

Good can be merciful in how he takes a pet away without undue suffering sometimes.
We have squirrels in our backyard...

Reactions: Helen

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
It's interesting that in parts of Great Britain the squirrels are red. The North American grey squirrel has also been introduced and apparently the two types of squirrel fight each other! Apparently the grey squirrel has driven the remaining red squirrels to the north of the country!

As a child in England I remember seeing red squirrels in the woods. As I grew into adulthood it was very rare to see a red squirrel . As you say...they greys have pretty much destroyed them.
Where about do you live?
I was born near Uxbridge...then lived in outer London. Moved to Sussex at age 13, ....emigrated over here when I was 34. In my mid 70’s now ....I very much doubt that I will ever seen another red squirrel...only in a child’s story book.

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States Minor Outlying Islands
I couldn't get it...it said "not available in your country" :(
What did it say in a nutshell?
um, it said you need to get a VPN lol :D
but srsly if you google "a squirrel's guide to success" in your google you will prolly get a link, i mean it's PBS,
basically at least a segment was about how the greys have decimated the reds in England, and the program to raise little reds and introduce them back into the forests now overrun with greys so the greys will have some more squirrels to kill, basically, all paid for by the public, who objected to greys in the first place, but of course none of this comes out in the vid, that is just what you get for asking a guy like me about government programs i guess? Ha! :D

Reactions: Helen

Blueberry

Nov 2, 2018
Texas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I always fear for them. They eat lawn furniture and ruined some of our bike seats, but the blessing of having them around far outweighs the losses.

I wonder how many oak forests owe their existence to God's little tree planters?? The very trees that the birds need. God's interwoven Creation.

Saw a PBS special recently about a scientist who took acorns and drilled holes into them, inserted RFID transmitters (glued the holes shut using Elmer's Glue (I ate it as a child, the squirrels should be fine!)) and then gave them to the squirrels that she had befriended. Later, after they buried them she used a device that appeared to be like a magnetic detector and located them. Mapping out their locations. Hoping to see how efficient the squirrels were at locating all those buried treasures. The result seemed to be 90%. Though she suggested that this rate may have only been due to them not needing more than 90% that winter? Also mentioned that the squirrels brains literally enlarge during the winter. Hypothesizing that this was needed to retain all the mapping information to retrieve the nuts.

Happy Thanksgiving.

Reactions: Dave L and Helen

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
No, he's not! Pray for me!!! But I love my job. It's been a real blessing!!!

Edit: Where did you get that black heart? I like that.

Lol, I will pray for you concerning your squirrel murdering boss.
The black heart is just hitting the "alt" key and the number 3 ♥♥♥ :)

Reactions: Hidden In Him

Hidden In Him

May 10, 2018
Lafayette, LA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Only the believing squirrels.
And even then, some just give love offerings here and there.

And try to conceal the evidence.

hqdefault.jpg