Gods Standard is...

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

aspen

“"The harvest is plentiful but the workers are few
Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Whenever I think of Mary, I think only of how she honored God and, that she is blessed among woman. Well, I would say so, wouldn't YOU like to have has her story at a dinner party!!!!!? Lol. But she IS to be blessed among woman, the Word says...♥

Yes. She is the first Christian. She has been perfected in Heaven and is an example for us

Reactions: Nancy

Nancy

Staff member
Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yes. She is the first Christian. She has been perfected in Heaven and is an example for us

I remember something about the earliest Christians being called "The Way". Then I see the word Christian used first in Antioch. I will have to look this up as, I really don't remember "The Way" thing...

Reactions: aspen

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
I remember something about the earliest Christians being called "The Way". Then I see the word Christian used first in Antioch. I will have to look this up as, I really don't remember "The Way" thing...
Yes I remember hearing that the term Christian was derived as a derogatory term and that Christians called themselves 'Followers of the Way' and that probably derives from what Jesus said about himself being the way, the truth and the life.

Reactions: Helen and Nancy

Nancy

Staff member
Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yes I remember hearing that the term Christian was derived as a derogatory term and that Christians called themselves 'Followers of the Way' and that probably derives from what Jesus said about himself being the way, the truth and the life.

Yes, Followers of The Way! And, it must have came from Jesus words about Himself being "The Way..." And I have read that the term Christian was
derogatory, and used as a slur against Christians.

Or should I say "misappropriation" instead @Episkopos ? :D

Last edited:
Reactions: Pearl

Willie T

Heaven Sent
Staff member
Sep 14, 2017
St. Petersburg Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
From GQ.Org.
“The Way” is mentioned several times in the book of Acts (Acts 9:2; 19:9, 23; 22:4; 24:14, 22) in connection with early followers of Christ. It was to take prisoner men and women who “belonged to the Way” (Acts 9:2; 22:4) that Saul of Tarsus went to Damascus. After Saul was converted, he became a missionary and went by the name of Paul. In Ephesus, Paul met some in the synagogue who “became obstinate; they refused to believe and publicly maligned the Way” (Acts 19:9). Paul left the synagogue and continued to preach the gospel where it would be heard rather than remain with those who denigrated the Way.

During his trial before Felix, Paul said, “I admit that I worship the God of our ancestors as a follower of the Way, which they call a sect” (Acts 24:14). We are also told that Felix knew about the Way (verse 22). It seems that the Romans considered the Way to be a sect of Judaism rather than a separate religion.

Presumably, the early followers of Christ referred to themselves as followers of the Way because of Jesus’ statement in John 14:6 that He is “the way and the truth and the life.” Luke says that Aquila and Priscilla explained to Apollos “the way of God” more fully (Acts 18:26). Peter refers to Christianity as “the way of truth” (2 Peter 2:2). And the writer of Hebrews says that Jesus’ broken body is the “new and living way” for us to enter the Most Holy Place (Hebrews 10:19–20).

Today there are various Bibles that include The Way in their titles. There is also a book by Josemaria Escriva, founder of the Catholic Opus Dei, titled The Way. Additionally, there is a cult called The Way or The Way International. For more information on this cult, please refer to our article “What is the Way International?”.

Recommended Resource: Paul: A Man of Grace and Grit by Charles Swindoll

Nancy

Staff member
Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
From GQ.Org.
“The Way” is mentioned several times in the book of Acts (Acts 9:2; 19:9, 23; 22:4; 24:14, 22) in connection with early followers of Christ. It was to take prisoner men and women who “belonged to the Way” (Acts 9:2; 22:4) that Saul of Tarsus went to Damascus. After Saul was converted, he became a missionary and went by the name of Paul. In Ephesus, Paul met some in the synagogue who “became obstinate; they refused to believe and publicly maligned the Way” (Acts 19:9). Paul left the synagogue and continued to preach the gospel where it would be heard rather than remain with those who denigrated the Way.

During his trial before Felix, Paul said, “I admit that I worship the God of our ancestors as a follower of the Way, which they call a sect” (Acts 24:14). We are also told that Felix knew about the Way (verse 22). It seems that the Romans considered the Way to be a sect of Judaism rather than a separate religion.

Presumably, the early followers of Christ referred to themselves as followers of the Way because of Jesus’ statement in John 14:6 that He is “the way and the truth and the life.” Luke says that Aquila and Priscilla explained to Apollos “the way of God” more fully (Acts 18:26). Peter refers to Christianity as “the way of truth” (2 Peter 2:2). And the writer of Hebrews says that Jesus’ broken body is the “new and living way” for us to enter the Most Holy Place (Hebrews 10:19–20).

Today there are various Bibles that include The Way in their titles. There is also a book by Josemaria Escriva, founder of the Catholic Opus Dei, titled The Way. Additionally, there is a cult called The Way or The Way International. For more information on this cult, please refer to our article “What is the Way International?”.

Recommended Resource: Paul: A Man of Grace and Grit by Charles Swindoll

Great verses Willie. I did not remember "The Way" in that many places in The Word. It's used more that I thought. Love the Chuck!

B

brakelite

So, what is "thy traffick," besides archaic terminology that might confuse the issue lol, what is being discussed there, what is the object, or you might say subject, @ "traffick?"
Just came across this but had answered that very question in another thread. It is, as it applies to the devil, slander, lies, misrepresentation of truth. I can prove that from scripture, but my notes are in my other Bible which I leave at work. Can't remember how I arrived at that conclusion.

stunnedbygrace

Aug 18, 2018
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I just met a girl at church last week in town on business from Ontario who took me to the gym and showed me how out of shape I am, so I'm turning over a new leaf. No more pizza and dessert and more aerobics and lifting LOL

What reprehensibly uncouth person convinced you to give up pizza??!
:D

Reactions: Willie T

stunnedbygrace

Aug 18, 2018
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
As per your own admission, a la the state of California, pizza doesn't have enough syllables to be bad for you...

Reactions: Phoneman777

Phoneman777

Jan 14, 2015
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Whenever I think of Mary, I think only of how she honored God and, that she is blessed among woman. Well, I would say so, wouldn't YOU like to have has her story at a dinner party!!!!!? Lol. But she IS to be blessed among woman, the Word says...♥
If being persecuted for the truth's sake is a blessing, she surely was blessed :) Can you imagine the eye rolling that took place when the story about a "virgin birth" spread abroad?

Phoneman777

Jan 14, 2015
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
As per your own admission, a la the state of California, pizza doesn't have enough syllables to be bad for you...
True - but I hear their new "foods spelled with more than on z" tax will close up a lot o pizzerias. Calzones are still safe...for now

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Hmm
I love Mary and all, but she did not perfect Jesus.....remember he was with God from the beginning and therefore perfect from the beginning

No I did not mean that...what I was meaning was, Jesus was born of Mary, flesh. Therefore He had within him humanity so He had the potential of committing sin. Therefore His victory over it was greater.

If ( as some believe) He could NOT sin, then there was no contest and and no victory of the Last 'Adam' over sin. Old Adam , in a way, had the victory over his tempter in the Last Adam.

God always wins. And we will see that glory at the very end. God wins.

stunnedbygrace

Aug 18, 2018
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
No I did not mean that...what I was meaning was, Jesus was born of Mary, flesh. Therefore He had within him humanity so He had the potential of committing sin. Therefore His victory over it was greater.

If ( as some believe) He could NOT sin, then there was no contest and and no victory of the Last 'Adam' over sin. Old Adam , in a way, had the victory over his tempter in the Last Adam.

God always wins. And we will see that glory at the very end. God wins.

I do see how you're looking at it but...from your perspective, its a possibility that Jesus could have very well sinned. But...I don't believe He could have because all that God said concerning Him would have been failed prophecy. And failed prophecy from Gods own mouth! I do see how you're looking at it but I can't see it that way...what God declares to His prophets always happens exactly as He has said.

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
I do see how you're looking at it but...from your perspective, its a possibility that Jesus could have very well sinned. But...I don't believe He could have because all that God said concerning Him would have been failed prophecy. And failed prophecy from Gods own mouth! I do see how you're looking at it but I can't see it that way...what God declares to His prophets always happens exactly as He has said.

So,to you, the temptation in the wilderness was just a joke? Play acting?

Then you rob Jesus of His glory ,His triumph over sin, and there is no victory.

It was a man which fell in Eden. And it had to be a man who who turned the tables back on the Enemy. God's Plan from the beginning.

If there was no potential to sin...it was all just a mockery.

Bless you...H

Last edited: