Good News?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Mayflower

Jul 14, 2018
Bluffton
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
My preference is to speak the truth, and...if possible, in love :)
(actually, speaking the truth is loving compared to allowing someone to wallow in error).

If I speak in the tongues of men and of angels, but have not love, I am a noisy gong or a clanging cymbal.
1 Corinthians 13:1 ESV

I hear a gong when people start speaking the Truth out of love.

prism

Blood-Soaked
Jan 24, 2011
So. Cal
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
If I speak in the tongues of men and of angels, but have not love, I am a noisy gong or a clanging cymbal.
1 Corinthians 13:1 ESV

I hear a gong when people start speaking the Truth out of love.
As I said, love will speak the truth and not stand by and sweetly smile while someone is heading for destruction or when God's Word and character is being besmirched. Jesus had harsh words for the self righteous and that opposed God's Word, but tenderly helped those who opposed themselves and were weak in faith. We need to learn the difference between the two.

Last edited:

aspen

“"The harvest is plentiful but the workers are few
Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Well, Paul was clear in 1 Corinthians 13 that love has to be the primary motivation and foundation for everything we do - including the great verses in Philippians provided. same thing goes with presenting the truth, prism. In fact, truth can be the loudest “gong” there is without love

Last edited:

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Well, Paul was clear in 1 Corinthians 13 that love has to been the primary motivation and foundation for everything we do - including the great verses in Philippians provided. same thing goes with presenting the truth, prism. In fact, truth can be the loudest “gong” there is without love
Of course it's love! It is in the desire to give a gift to others, to contribute to their well-being.

Someone running full tilt towards a cliff may need to be tackled, but only to save their life.

Some save with compassion, hating the garment spotted by the flesh, and some save with fear, making a distinction.

Much love!

Reactions: Mayflower and Nancy

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
Of course it's love! It is in the desire to give a gift to others, to contribute to their well-being.

Someone running full tilt towards a cliff may need to be tackled, but only to save their life.

Some save with compassion, hating the garment spotted by the flesh, and some save with fear, making a distinction.

Much love!
That verse there in Jude is indeed searching...

aspen

Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Much love!

Agreed.

Unfortunately, some people see cliffs in every bump in the road

aspen

Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Also, as a therapist it is proven to me in every session that people want advice so they can reject it. Advice confirms our own preconceived ideas.

Reactions: Helen and Nancy

prism

Blood-Soaked
Jan 24, 2011
So. Cal
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Well, Paul was clear in 1 Corinthians 13 that love has to been the primary motivation and foundation for everything we do - including the great verses in Philippians provided. same thing goes with presenting the truth, prism. In fact, truth can be the loudest “gong” there is without love
As each of you are attempting to express the truth of the matter that love is the greatest, even greater than truth, I keep scratching my head. (Was the word 'truth' even in 1Cor 13?)

Reactions: tzcho2

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
But when satan lifts his head in accusation against God's Word, through others, I won't sit silent.
This presumes that you recognize satan's voice as opposed to God voice... and it presumes it is God's will for you to speak, does it not?
If we are in doubt, is it not better to remain silent?

"To every thing there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven:" Ecc 3:1

"...a time to keep silence, and a time to speak;" Ecc 3:7

"Then said Pilate unto him, Hearest thou not how many things they witness against thee?
And he answered him to never a word; insomuch that the governor marvelled greatly." Matt 27:13-14

Jesus knew when it was time to remain silent. Do we always? If we are in doubt is it not better to remain silent?

His sheep know His voice as opposed to the other, but when is it God's will to speak and when is it His will for us to be silent? This is why we must know His voice.

"To him the porter openeth; and the sheep hear his voice: and he calleth his own sheep by name, and leadeth them out.
And when he putteth forth his own sheep, he goeth before them, and the sheep follow him: for they know his voice." John 10:3-4

GTW27

Dec 6, 2018
wilderness
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Blessings to all in Christ Jesus! The 7th hour has always been a good hour to me. Perhaps if we all went down in prayer as One, changes would occur on these boards. Tonight I will take a few minutes to pray for this board. It will be at 7pm eastern time in the US. My Father always hears my words and my petitions, but it really would be nice to hear The Body as One voice and of One accord.

aspen

Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
As each of you are attempting to express the truth of the matter that love is the greatest, even greater than truth, I keep scratching my head. (Was the word 'truth' even in 1Cor 13?)

Not sure what your point is?
If truth wasn’t included in Corinthians, it must be different and not required to be presented in love?

tzcho2

Feb 15, 2019
Boston
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I think we see the emergent church being built here. All things will be acceptable as long we are tolerant, nice and everyone is peaceful...because God is Love.

aspen

Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Perhaps because they have been on that road lol.

But, who hasn’t?

You’re statement seems to show a lack of perspective.

It is sort of like believing that poor people are lazy because they are poor. When in fact, the majority of people work hard, and only some get paid for their work

Reactions: amadeus

aspen

Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I think we see the emergent church being built here. All things will be acceptable as long we are tolerant, nice and everyone is peaceful...because God is Love.

I think the term “Emergent Church” is just a catch phrase for everything bad in the minds of fundamentalists. It is sort of like “politically correct”.

Last edited:
Reactions: Helen and amadeus

aspen

Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I am not sure when Love became a bad word in a small circle of Christianity. It really is shocking to me! Love is what we are supposed to be known for and yet, when you mention it in these small circles you get ridiculed - love is redefined as wimpy and accepting of heresy and a call to be a snowflake.

You know what actually worries me - I have been afraid to voice this, but I think it is totally true. I think the current intolerant, mean spirited, ends justifying the means culture in our politics is the result of conservative Christian influence. I watched the same culture and behavior and attitude within Christianity decades before it emerged in Washington. Ugh, what a legacy.....

Reactions: brakelite and Helen

prism

Blood-Soaked
Jan 24, 2011
So. Cal
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
"This presumes that you recognize satan's voice as opposed to God voice... and it presumes it is God's will for you to speak, does it not?"
Having been a Christian for 44 years and in His Word I have become quite accustomed to His voice. Plus the fact as a born again Christian I have the Author of Scripture aiding in discernment. God has gifted us differently and with unique burdens.

If we are in doubt, is it not better to remain silent?
That depends. If it is something like the timing of the rapture, I'll give my opinion but if I am addressing an attack against the veracity of God's Word...NO! IOW there are some things I am sure of.

"To every thing there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven:" Ecc 3:1
?? SO??

"...a time to keep silence, and a time to speak;" Ecc 3:7
I don't always speak. Again so?

"Then said Pilate unto him, Hearest thou not how many things they witness against thee?
And he answered him to never a word; insomuch that the governor marvelled greatly." Matt 27:13-14

Jesus knew when it was time to remain silent. Do we always? If we are in doubt is it not better to remain silent?

Jesus IS THE TRUTH .
I don't play the Christian meditative game, if that's what you mean. As Christians we are called tp PROCLAIM!

His sheep know His voice as opposed to the other, but when is it God's will to speak and when is it His will for us to be silent? This is why we must know His voice.
I know His voice and it's not that of a Zen Buddhist.
Or did Paul not know Jesus?
Acts 17:2 (KJV) And Paul, as his manner was, went in unto them, and three sabbath days reasoned with them out of the scriptures,