Good News?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

tzcho2

Feb 15, 2019
Boston
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I think the “Emergent Church” is just a catch phrase for everything bad in the minds of fundamentalists. It is sort of like “politically correct”.
No aspen , it's what those like you try to promote while forfeiting sound doctrine and the forfeiting of using the word of God as a guide. I don't think you mean to but you probably see Theologians like Dave Hunt are just too hard line right? You are RC correct? See, you are even denying that there is such a thing as the emergent church. What is meant by Jesus warning about the "falling away" ? It is happening right now. It is evident on this forum and other christian forums that are becoming ultra liberal and nothing like what the bible preached the church to be set apart...in the world but not of it.
The postmodern emergent church is not about teaching the scripture or discipling saints, but about creating unity and a spiritual experience, and bringing into this modern church whatever feels good, like Taize prayer, any kind of new age teaching, or mysticism, or universalism, not preaching about hell, etc... because if it feels spiritual , it must get us closer to God. Right? Besides biblical truth is just way too subjective and too old school, as long as there is some kind of a collective spiritual worship, group unity and peace that is what we are aiming for because it is LOVE that Jesus taught. People want to enjoy the lectures at church , they don't want to get "preached" at. Truth is in the eye of the beholder and it's just not loving like Jesus was. All that is what the Emergent church teaches and people will eat it up like it is Candy! because it is spiritual candy.

Reactions: prism

aspen

“"The harvest is plentiful but the workers are few
Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
No aspen , it's what those like you try to promote while forfeiting sound doctrine and the forfeiting of using the word of God as a guide. Theologians like Dave Hunt are just too hard line right? You are RC correct? See, you are even denying that there is such a thing as the emergent church. What is meant by Jesus warning about the "falling away" ? It is happening right now. It is evident on this forum and other christian forums that are becoming ultra liberal and nothing like what the bible preached the church to be set apart...in the world but not of it.
The postmodern emergent church is not about teaching the scripture or discipling saints, but about creating unity and a spiritual experience, and bringing into this modern church whatever feels good, like Taize prayer, any kind of new age teaching, or mysticism, or universalism, not preaching about hell, etc... because if it feels spiritual , it must get us closer to God. Right? Besides biblical truth is just way too subjective and too old school, as long as there is some kind of a collective spiritual worship, group unity and peace that is what we are aiming for because it is LOVE that Jesus taught. People want to enjoy the lectures at church , they don't want to get "preached" at. Truth is in the eye of the beholder and it's just not loving like Jesus was. All that is what the Emergent church teaches and people will eat it up like it is Candy! because it is spiritual candy.

“In my day, we flogged ourselves and beat the joy and happiness out of every snowflake! AND WE LIKED IT!”

Have you ever been to an Emergent Church, tzcho? I used to attend one - Kingdom Living! It was a bit corny, but it wasn’t heretical. You guys always need a bogie man

Reactions: Helen

tzcho2

Feb 15, 2019
Boston
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I am not sure when Love became a bad word in a small circle of Christianity. It really is shocking to me! Love is what we are supposed to be known for and yet, when you mention it in these small circles you get ridiculed - love is redefined as wimpy and accepting of heresy and a call to be a snowflake.

You know what actually worries me - I have been afraid to voice this, but I think it is totally true. I think the current intolerant, mean spirited, ends justifying the means culture in our politics is the result of conservative Christian influence. I watched the same culture and behavior and attitude within Christianity decades before it emerged in Washington. Ugh, what a legacy.....
Doesn't surprise me you would want to blame the conservative Christians, it's what Hillary does. I guess you are one of the progressive left , and they hate conservative Christians and Jews.
I used to be a progressive , I thought like you.

tzcho2

Feb 15, 2019
Boston
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
“In my day, we flogged ourselves and beat the joy and happiness out of every snowflake! AND WE LIKED IT
I don't know where that came from or what that is supposed to represent.

aspen

Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Doesn't surprise me you would want to blame the conservative Christians, it's what Hillary does. I guess you are one of the progressive left , and they hate conservative Christians and Jews.
I used to be a progressive , I thought like you.

Um....
Trump blames Hillary in his sleep - the only time he is not blaming her is when he is blaming Obama

tzcho2

Feb 15, 2019
Boston
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
“In my day, we flogged ourselves and beat the joy and happiness out of every snowflake! AND WE LIKED IT!”

Have you ever been to an Emergent Church, tzcho? I used to attend one - Kingdom Living! It was a bit corny, but it wasn’t heretical. You guys always need a bogie man
See this is what your side does , they have to make someone "the enemy" --i.e. you said, "You guys always need to make a bogie man" . The left are fascists and will end up outlawing Christianity and in the near future Christians will have to hide from people like you or else they will be persecuted. This is what is going to be the future.

aspen

Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I don't know where that came from or what that is supposed to represent.

It represents your attitude towards yourself and Christians who do not believe as you do

aspen

Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
See this is what your side does , they have to make someone "the enemy" --i.e. you said, "You guys always need to make a bogie man" . The left are fascists and will end up outlawing Christianity and in the near future Christians will have to hide from people like you or else they will be persecuted. This is what is going to be the future.

I am radically moderate. I am not a progressive or a conservative. Both side have been radicalized.

aspen

Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
So you going to answer my question? Or just continue building your strawman? Have you attended an Emergent Church?

tzcho2

Feb 15, 2019
Boston
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It represents your attitude towards yourself and Christians who do not believe as you do
See, this is a great example from you of your bigotry and being out in left field.
I would never say such a thing or think it.
But you really have a need to paint a monster of whom you disagree with.
It's exactly what the Nazis did to the Jews, by their hate filled propaganda and pictures dehumanizing them.
It's what Hillary did in her campaign with calling the conservatives --The Deplorables"

tzcho2

Feb 15, 2019
Boston
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Where is your love Aspen towards conservative Christians?
Seems it vanishes.

aspen

Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
See, this is a great example from you of your bigotry and being out in left field.
I would never say such a thing or think it.
But you really have a need to paint a monster of whom you disagree with.
It's exactly what the Nazis did to the Jews, by their hate filled propaganda and pictures dehumanizing them.

It was a joke. Man....loosen up!
Are you always wound this tight?

aspen

Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I disagree with most radical positions, honestly. I do not like the ideology of the alt right or those anti fascist people. Both are violent and cannot see their own faults. Something tells me that you cannot or will not see the faults of your team, right?

prism

Blood-Soaked
Jan 24, 2011
So. Cal
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Not sure what your point is?
If truth wasn’t included in Corinthians, it must be different and not required to be presented in love?
It's sort of like, I hear others saying, "Truth is not that important...and that's the truth!" That was my point.
The 1Cor13 statement was just an aside.

tzcho2

Feb 15, 2019
Boston
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It was a joke. Man....loosen up!
Are you always wound this tight?
A joke? "In my day, we flogged ourselves and beat the joy and happiness out of every snowflake! AND WE LIKED IT!”
That is a horrific thing to say.

aspen

Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It's sort of like, I hear others saying, "Truth is not that important...and that's the truth!" That was my point.
The 1Cor13 statement was just an aside.

I see. I tend to see love as the ultimate truth - if it is present, the necessary facts emerge and falsehood falls away

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Also, as a therapist it is proven to me in every session that people want advice so they can reject it. Advice confirms our own preconceived ideas.
I'll bet that's true an awful lot of the time, and maybe even all the time in your office.

But the seed planted in the good soil is he who receives the word with an honest heart. Not everyone is the same in this way.

Much love!

Reactions: aspen

tzcho2

Feb 15, 2019
Boston
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I disagree with most radical positions, honestly. I do not like the ideology of the alt right or those anti fascist people. Both are violent and cannot see their own faults. Something tells me that you cannot or will not see the faults of your team, right?
Again.... you form conclusions out of thin air and make grotesque caricatures and prejudices.