Good News?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

aspen

“"The harvest is plentiful but the workers are few
Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
True. But what too many Christians forget is that Jesus Himself is our salvation. That is the greatest Good News. That God is our salvation. Therefore the Bible says that Salvation is of the LORD.

JESUS = YESHUA = YAHSHUA = YAH + SHUA = GOD IS [OUR] SALVATION

Seems to me that Jesus's Sacrifice on the Cross is our salvation - a sacrifice He made because He so loved the world

Reactions: Mayflower

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Seems to me that Jesus's Sacrifice on the Cross is our salvation - a sacrifice He made because He so loved the world
The sacrifice was indeed critical, but even more critical was "Who was on that cross?" The One who was sacrificed was the Lamb of God, the Word of God, the Son of God. He was given the name "Jesus" to show the world that God Himself was on that cross, paying for the sins of the whole world. Now please note this carefully:

Take heed therefore unto yourselves, and to all the flock, over the which the Holy Ghost hath made you overseers, to feed the church of God, which he hath purchased with his own blood. (Acts 20:28)

According to this Scripture, the Church of God has been purchased with the blood of God. God the Son. And unless a person believes that Jesus is God, he or she cannot be saved.

aspen

Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The sacrifice was indeed critical, but even more critical was "Who was on that cross?" The One who was sacrificed was the Lamb of God, the Word of God, the Son of God. He was given the name "Jesus" to show the world that God Himself was on that cross, paying for the sins of the whole world. Now please note this carefully:

Take heed therefore unto yourselves, and to all the flock, over the which the Holy Ghost hath made you overseers, to feed the church of God, which he hath purchased with his own blood. (Acts 20:28)

According to this Scripture, the Church of God has been purchased with the blood of God. God the Son. And unless a person believes that Jesus is God, he or she cannot be saved.

Thanks for the close up.
So if Jesus decided not to lay down His life for us, whoever believed in Him would be saved?

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Thanks for the close up.
So if Jesus decided not to lay down His life for us, whoever believed in Him would be saved?
No. Without the shedding of blood there is no remission (of sins). So the shed blood of Christ was AN ABSOLUTE NECESSITY. Along with the offering up of Himself as "a whole burnt offering" -- body, soul, and spirit. Isaiah 53 provides a fuller picture.

Abraham told this to Isaac prophetically: And Abraham said, My son, God will provide himself a lamb for a burnt offering: so they went both of them together. (Gen 22:8).

While this did apply to the ram which God provided Abraham, it spoke ultimately of Christ, as we see in Hebrews 10:

4 For it is not possible that the blood of bulls and of goats should take away sins.
5 Wherefore when he cometh into the world, he saith, Sacrifice and offering thou wouldest not, but a body hast thou prepared me:
6 In burnt offerings and sacrifices for sin thou hast had no pleasure.
7 Then said I, Lo, I come (in the volume of the book it is written of me,) to do thy will, O God.
8 Above when he said, Sacrifice and offering and burnt offerings and offering for sin thou wouldest not, neither hadst pleasure therein; which are offered by the law;
9 Then said he, Lo, I come to do thy will, O God. He taketh away the first, that he may establish the second.
10 By the which will we are sanctified through the offering of the body of Jesus Christ once for all.

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I gave you examples of what I would be certain and uncertain, but your last sentence was incoherent and vague.
My final point was simply that if we definitely always right, both of us, then how often would we ever disagree? In other words on some things where we believe we are right we may well be in error. I have a solution for that apparent quandary but likely you do as well.

I hope I never gave the impression that I am sinless, or have pure doctrine, but rather each and everyone ought to stand firm on their convictions
We really do need to stand on what believe until God let's us know we need to change. This openness on our part allows God to change us when we need to be changed. A lack of openness limits God since He has given us the authority for so long as our natural course lasts. I say these words to you even though we apparently do disagree on some things at this point. If are paying attention to Him and change is needed He will accomplish it in you or me or both of us.

I can't speak for you, but that is a swinging door for me. I have spoken when I should not have, and was silent when I should have spoken.
No, you are not alone on this. Silence can be golden except when it is time according to God to speak.

Knowing Him first starts with being born again, deeper knowledge comes with time, grace, grasping His Word and hard knocks, and yes it is a growth process culminating in Phil 3:10.
Give God the glory!

No one is claiming to see more clearly than Paul except those who deviate from Scripture.
I will not use 1Cor 13:12 as an excuse to say 'well we don't see clearly, so can't know or shouldn't strive after what is truth, that is not Paul's intention. The devil would love to confuse truth with error by convincing people that truth is unattainable.
Yes, a clearer vision is attainable. The limit is not in God but in each of us.

aspen

Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
No. Without the shedding of blood there is no remission (of sins). So the shed blood of Christ was AN ABSOLUTE NECESSITY. Along with the offering up of Himself as "a whole burnt offering" -- body, soul, and spirit. Isaiah 53 provides a fuller picture.

Abraham told this to Isaac prophetically: And Abraham said, My son, God will provide himself a lamb for a burnt offering: so they went both of them together. (Gen 22:8).

While this did apply to the ram which God provided Abraham, it spoke ultimately of Christ, as we see in Hebrews 10:

4 For it is not possible that the blood of bulls and of goats should take away sins.
5 Wherefore when he cometh into the world, he saith, Sacrifice and offering thou wouldest not, but a body hast thou prepared me:
6 In burnt offerings and sacrifices for sin thou hast had no pleasure.
7 Then said I, Lo, I come (in the volume of the book it is written of me,) to do thy will, O God.
8 Above when he said, Sacrifice and offering and burnt offerings and offering for sin thou wouldest not, neither hadst pleasure therein; which are offered by the law;
9 Then said he, Lo, I come to do thy will, O God. He taketh away the first, that he may establish the second.
10 By the which will we are sanctified through the offering of the body of Jesus Christ once for all.

Indeed

APAK

Feb 4, 2018
Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
True. But what too many Christians forget is that Jesus Himself is our salvation. That is the greatest Good News. That God is our salvation. Therefore the Bible says that Salvation is of the LORD.

JESUS = YESHUA = YAHSHUA = YAH + SHUA = GOD IS [OUR] SALVATION
Just want to point out a small although often overlooked name for Yeshua that does make a big difference. The recent modern English 16th-17th century word, Jesus, is not derived from a Hebrew origin. It is derived from the Latin and Greek 'Iesous' and this word does not mean Yah Saves or Saviour. Therefore, Jesus is not equivalent to Yeshua or Yahshua etc. The Greek for saviour is soter and the Latin is salvare. So, YHWH's Son is technically not Jesus, it is Yahshua or Yeshua as he became the anointed one and the Yashua Messiah or Christ, not Jesus the Christ.

Now for the real bombshell: Jesus, derived from Ie-s-ous or Ie-se-us of the Greek and Latin languages is said to be equivalent to the Greek god Zeus.

Bless you,

APAK

prism

Blood-Soaked
Jan 24, 2011
So. Cal
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
My final point was simply that if we definitely always right, both of us, then how often would we ever disagree? In other words on some things where we believe we are right we may well be in error. I have a solution for that apparent quandary but likely you do as well.
My solution is that in order to be right it must be based on objective Truth which is based in God and His revealed word. If we were both right by that standard, there would be no error,... no 'might be' in error.
Why live in Grayland where there are no distinct right and wrongs and most categories are blurred due to our sin nature?

God wants us to live by faith...

Now faith is the assurance of things hoped for, the conviction of things not seen. (Heb 11:1)

In Grayland there is neither assurance or conviction.

Reactions: tzcho2

David kilmer

May 22, 2019
covelo
Faith
Atheist
Country
United States
Very true. What is even more distressing is that absurdities are on a steep rise. Was there ever a time when so many would resort to so many absurdities?

But you've made a good point. The Good News is the Glad Tidings of Great Joy -- that Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners.
I agree. What's life if only to be doomed to death or hell?

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
It is derived from the Latin and Greek 'Iesous' and this word does not mean Yah Saves or Saviour. Therefore, Jesus is not equivalent to Yeshua or Yahshua etc.
Sorry, APAK, but you are mistaken. Joshua is called "Jesus" in the book of Hebrews because the Greek there is Iesous". But what is the name "Joshua" in Hebrew? Is it not Yehoshua, which is equal to Yeshua or Yahshua?

'[Joshua] From the Hebrew name יְהוֹשֻׁעַ (Yehoshu'a) meaning "YAHWEH is salvation", from the roots יְהוֹ (yeho) referring to the Hebrew God and יָשַׁע (yasha') meaning "to save". As told in the Old Testament, Joshua was a companion of Moses."

Meaning, origin and history of the name Joshua

I believe the King James translators went too far in transliterating the Greek equivalents of the Hebrew names, instead of TRANSLATING them based upon the Hebrew text. "Jesus" should really be Yehoshua (and today He is called Yeshua or Yahshua by Messianics). And Yehoshua means exactly what I said: GOD IS [OUR] SALVATION.

tzcho2

Feb 15, 2019
Boston
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You don’t know any Catholic Mystics, do you?
Lol
You asked for names of books.
.... my mistake.
Proverbs 9:7-17 "
7 Whoever corrects a mocker invites insults; whoever rebukes the wicked incurs abuse.
8 Do not rebuke mockers or they will hate you; rebuke the wise and they will love you.
9 Instruct the wise and they will be wiser still; teach the righteous and they will add to their learning.
10 The fear of the LORD is the beginning of wisdom, and knowledge of the Holy One is understanding.
11For through wisdom your days will be many, and years will be added to your life.
12 If you are wise, your wisdom will reward you; if you are a mocker, you alone will suffer.

B

brakelite

Anyone have examples from their lives of loving others through service? Or receiving love?
When I was living as a non-practicing world loving dope smoking potential alcoholic, believing in the existence of God but living without a thought toward Him, a friend asked, "Do you think God would approve of your life-style?". To ask that question and thus challenge ones entire worldview and risk that friendship...is love. But note...no criticism...no finger pointing...no mention of sin or bad practice.

Soverign Grace

Sep 15, 2018
Palmyra
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
um so....where’s the Good News?

This board is filled with bad news....you can’t miss it!

Are you one of the elect? Is your doctrine correct enough to save you? Is the rapture going to leave you behind? Do you belong to a cult? Are the foundational doctrinal beliefs of Christianity wrong?! Are we smarter and more doctrinally literate than the apostolic Fathers? Do we need to continually redo the way we do church so that we can imitate the early church? Is your church too big? Is your church too small? Is church simply evil?

It goes on and on.

So where’s the Good News? How are we any different than the BS found in the secular news? Psychopathy, antisocial comments, general negativity, fatalism, moral compromise.....

Love God.
Love your neighbor as yourself.

This is the simple gospel that has been transforming souls since the Garden. Everything else is straw......

I'm glad that you pointed out the lack of love on here and the critical attitudes. I'm surprised that those who claim to be Christians abuse their fellow believers on here - even driving some to leave. Still others "like" mean posts thereby joining in the sin. We're told that the wheat grows alongside the tares so maybe that verse is applicable here. I don't see this forum as being much different than the world that God told us to come out of sometimes.

But there are those on here trying to live what Scripture teaches - the love of Christ shines through; you get to know who they are. We all have to keep in mind too that we're a work in progress; we're being progressively sanctified:) Maybe your reminder is a chance for all of us to search our own hearts, "and see if there be any wicked way in me."

1 John 4:20

“If a man say, I love God, and hateth his brother, he is a liar: for he that loveth not his brother whom he hath seen, how can he love God whom he hath not seen?”

Of these things put them in remembrance, charging them before the Lord that they strive not about words to no profit, but to the subverting of the hearers. - 2 Tim. 2:14

Brethren, if a man be overtaken in a fault, ye which are spiritual, restore such an one in the spirit of meekness; considering thyself, lest thou also be tempted. Gal. 6:1

Last edited:

tzcho2

Feb 15, 2019
Boston
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
When I was living as a non-practicing world loving dope smoking potential alcoholic, believing in the existence of God but living without a thought toward Him, a friend asked, "Do you think God would approve of your life-style?". To ask that question and thus challenge ones entire worldview and risk that friendship...is love. But note...no criticism...no finger pointing...no mention of sin or bad practice.
No doubt that question had the potential to trigger a strong reaction, glad the truth of it pierced the darkness in your case @brakelite, someone else might have rebuffed it.