Good News?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

APAK

Feb 4, 2018
Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
So you go with an Hebrew or Aramaic book of Matthew that was then translated into Greek? Jsut wondering.

I don't have an issue with assuming His Name in Hebrew was Yah-shua or something like it, just that there is no Scriptural authority per se, but you can make a case, but the real authority is in calling Him Jesus.

Much love!
If I understand you correctly the answer to your question is yes, for primarily the real names of the Almighty and his Son.

I do use of course the Greek or even Latin Vulgate forms of scripture as that is what I have to work with, and they are transformed into the modern forms since the last several hundred years. And then I write my own side notes when I encounter deliberate alterations and bias supporting a religious stance or hypothesis that I consider intellectual dishonesty and down-right forgery. I do not have the originals of scripture in front of me, and then I would not understand them...have to rely on translators and scribes...

APAK

Reactions: amadeus

David kilmer

May 22, 2019
covelo
Faith
Atheist
Country
United States
You asked for names of books.
.... my mistake.
Proverbs 9:7-17 "
7 Whoever corrects a mocker invites insults; whoever rebukes the wicked incurs abuse.
8 Do not rebuke mockers or they will hate you; rebuke the wise and they will love you.
9 Instruct the wise and they will be wiser still; teach the righteous and they will add to their learning.
10 The fear of the LORD is the beginning of wisdom, and knowledge of the Holy One is understanding.
11For through wisdom your days will be many, and years will be added to your life.
12 If you are wise, your wisdom will reward you; if you are a mocker, you alone will suffer.
Then my wisdom should reward me and it has. I only mock those who mock me...

Reactions: tzcho2

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
If I understand you correctly the answer to your question is yes, for primarily the real names of the Almighty and his Son.

I do use of course the Greek or even Latin Vulgate forms of scripture as that is what I have to work with, and they are transformed into the modern forms since the last several hundred years. And then I write my own side notes when I encounter deliberate alterations and bias supporting a religious stance or hypothesis that I consider intellectual dishonesty and down-right forgery. I do not have the originals of scripture in front of me, and then I would not understand them...have to rely on translators and scribes...

APAK

OK, I get you. Cool, and thank you for your patience with me!

Much love!

Reactions: APAK

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Let's start here.
What to you is objective truth and why can't His written Word illumined by His Spirit be sufficient in revealing it?
We are not disagreeing on this. When anyone believes that by study alone of the written scriptures he can find God's Truth, he has missed something important... the breathe of Life. You added it with these words, "illumined by His Spirit" which made the difference. Without the Holy Spirit there is nothing but death... although quite often men will call other things life. Jesus made the distinction here:

" And another of his disciples said unto him, Lord, suffer me first to go and bury my father.
But Jesus said unto him, Follow me; and let the dead bury their dead." Matt 8:21-22

Reactions: Helen

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

APAK
Very good my friend! What occurs to me here, is that even those original names, when we know them and/or speak them does not necessarily put us "IN the name" as Jesus meant it here:

"For where two or three are gathered together in my name, there am I in the midst of them." Matt 18:20

For example people who meet together supposedly to worship God even while singing songs with the right words may have their minds focused on their plans for recreational activities or ballgames to be watched just as soon as they can get out of that place... They are NOT in his name in spite of being in a "church" house and singing a song of praise: First things first:

"But seek ye first the kingdom of God, and his righteousness; and all these things shall be added unto you." Matt 6:33

Last edited:
Reactions: APAK and Helen

prism

Blood-Soaked
Jan 24, 2011
So. Cal
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
We are not disagreeing on this. When anyone believes that by study alone of the written scriptures he can find God's Truth, he has missed something important... the breathe of Life. You added it with these words, "illumined by His Spirit" which made the difference. Without the Holy Spirit there is nothing but death... although quite often men will call other things life. Jesus made the distinction here:

" And another of his disciples said unto him, Lord, suffer me first to go and bury my father.
But Jesus said unto him, Follow me; and let the dead bury their dead." Matt 8:21-22
I've always believed illumination is needed, and am not sure why you first approached me with a line of questioning. Here is a prime verse I often use on that topic...

And Jesus answered and said unto him, Blessed art thou, Simon Barjona: for flesh and blood hath not revealed it unto thee, but my Father which is in heaven. (Mat 16:17)

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I've always believed illumination is needed, and am not sure why you first approached me with a line of questioning. Here is a prime verse I often use on that topic...

And Jesus answered and said unto him, Blessed art thou, Simon Barjona: for flesh and blood hath not revealed it unto thee, but my Father which is in heaven. (Mat 16:17)
Communication is always a problem for men. We may really understand something correctly from God, but to communicate it another person is sometimes not easy or even impossible. Here again we must remember that while God may indeed and perhaps often use you or me or some other person to do something ultimately only He gives any real increase.

prism

Blood-Soaked
Jan 24, 2011
So. Cal
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Communication is always a problem for men. We may really understand something correctly from God, but to communicate it another person is sometimes not easy or even impossible. Here again we must remember that while God may indeed and perhaps often use you or me or some other person to do something ultimately only He gives any real increase.
yup.

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Hey @GodsGrace

Here is one...( I mentioned to you) ....it started well , and about The Good News of God. ✟
Yet some seems to object to the Good News, on any level...amazing eh? :)

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Communication is always a problem for men.
Are you suggesting it is not a problem for women? In general emotions come to fore when women communicate.

However, I agree that clarity in communication is a problem for many. That could be because schools are not teaching this as an essential skill, and texting is simply making things worse. People constantly glued to their iPhones indicates that those devices are more important than direct face-to-face communication. And almost everyone has acquired this bad habit.
So now people are fooling around with their iPhones during worship (not to mention bringing donuts and coffee with them).

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Yet some seems to object to the Good News, on any level...amazing eh?
That is a manifestation of the spiritual battle which is raging constantly around us (and even here). Satan hates the Gospel, and will do anything in his power to get people to focus on something else.

When any one heareth the Word of the kingdom [the Gospel], and understandeth it not, then cometh the Wicked One, and catcheth away that which was sown in his heart. This is he which received seed by the way side. (Mt 13:19)

Almost every thread deteriorates in to personal comments and attacks rather than actual Bible discussion, or concentration on the Gospel.

Reactions: Helen

tzcho2

Feb 15, 2019
Boston
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
That is a manifestation of the spiritual battle which is raging constantly around us (and even here). Satan hates the Gospel, and will do anything in his power to get people to focus on something else.

When any one heareth the Word of the kingdom [the Gospel], and understandeth it not, then cometh the Wicked One, and catcheth away that which was sown in his heart. This is he which received seed by the way side. (Mt 13:19)

Almost every thread deteriorates in to personal comments and attacks rather than actual Bible discussion, or concentration on the Gospel.
I think this thread wasn't actually speaking of the Gospel as being the good news and neither were most of the posts meaning it either.

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada

I am a coward at heart. So the only way I can 'take' this Site right now,is to use the Ignore button, and make the nasty negative people , who can't disagree without being nasty vanish.
It's not the answer, but at least it stops me falling into arguing with them in the same nasty negative spirit.

Reactions: aspen

JohnPaul

Soldier of Jehovah and Christ
Jun 10, 2019
New Jersey
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I'm sorry for contributing mandela effect. That is probably the worse thing I ever shared on this site.

Yes, I have read some pretty sour things...my hope is to be a light of good news in the world, and I hope personally on this board I have shared this in my own walk. I may struggle with anxiety and have a bucketload to learn. But Jesus Christ died on the cross for my sins and rose again. I love Him and others and I want to share that. And there are a number of people on here I see God's light shine from also. I resolve to pray for this board more, because this definitely caught my attention when I came on here. To me, this is better then others I have been on. Of course it is going to be attacked. Usually spiritual warfare is a sign something is going right. I just havent been called to leave here yet.
Mayflower I am new on here and already I feel the love of members on here towards me, it makes me feel good to know there are still good people in this world.

Love of Christ is what keeps me going.

Thank you all.

Reactions: Mayflower

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
We all need to pursue Philippians 4.8. :)

"Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things."

I look at this every day . . .

pursuit.jpg

JohnPaul

Soldier of Jehovah and Christ
Jun 10, 2019
New Jersey
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Even when I considered myself Catholic, I never had ill feelings towards other Christians, I considered all Christian denominations my brothers and I still don’t criticize other Christians or there personal beliefs.

I stopped going to church after starting back again, all the idolatry and effigies just didn’t seem right, it’s like I woke up or something, hard to explain.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mayflower

ScottA

Feb 24, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
um so....where’s the Good News?

This board is filled with bad news....you can’t miss it!

Are you one of the elect? Is your doctrine correct enough to save you? Is the rapture going to leave you behind? Do you belong to a cult? Are the foundational doctrinal beliefs of Christianity wrong?! Are we smarter and more doctrinally literate than the apostolic Fathers? Do we need to continually redo the way we do church so that we can imitate the early church? Is your church too big? Is your church too small? Is church simply evil?

It goes on and on.

So where’s the Good News? How are we any different than the BS found in the secular news? Psychopathy, antisocial comments, general negativity, fatalism, moral compromise.....

Love God.
Love your neighbor as yourself.

This is the simple gospel that has been transforming souls since the Garden. Everything else is straw......
The good news is that in spite of us, history shows a ribbon of good following God. Not that all who follow do good, but God is good. Meanwhile, what is seen in the world is a manifestation of all things unto judgement. The Light of God reveals many evils that once only lurked in darkness. This is good, very good!

Last edited: