Greater Things Than These - John 14

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Hidden In Him

May 10, 2018
Lafayette, LA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Don’t know how your church does it, but the scriptures show that a spirit-filled believer lays hands on believers for them to receive the Holy Spirit infilling and get spiritual gifts.

Act 8:14 Now when the apostles which were at Jerusalem heard that Samaria had received the word of God, they sent unto them Peter and John:

Act 8:15 Who, when they were come down, prayed for them, that they might receive the Holy Ghost:

Act 8:16 (For as yet he was fallen upon none of them: only they were baptized in the name of the Lord Jesus.)

Act 8:17 Then laid they their hands on them, and they received the Holy Ghost.

Act 8:18 And when Simon saw that through laying on of the apostles' hands the Holy Ghost was given, he offered them money,

Act 19:1 And it came to pass, that, while Apollos was at Corinth, Paul having passed through the upper coasts came to Ephesus: and finding certain disciples,

Act 19:2 He said unto them, Have ye received the Holy Ghost since ye believed? And they said unto him, We have not so much as heard whether there be any Holy Ghost.

Act 19:3 And he said unto them, Unto what then were ye baptized? And they said, Unto John's baptism.

Act 19:4 Then said Paul, John verily baptized with the baptism of repentance, saying unto the people, that they should believe on him which should come after him, that is, on Christ Jesus.

Act 19:5 When they heard this, they were baptized in the name of the Lord Jesus.

Act 19:6 And when Paul had laid his hands upon them, the Holy Ghost came on them; and they spake with tongues

I agree that should be the way most believers receive it - that's how I received it myself - just not sure what believers would do who are not connected to a Spirit-filled fellowship, or connected, but merely to one that is "Spirit-filled" in name only.

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You'd be surprised how important that is to the spiritual life. Whenever I pick up something valuable from the Lord, everything stops. I take time and think on it and remind myself of what I have learned before I resume any study. Otherwise, you just get busy and forget it, and then a year later He reveals it to you again, and at first you're all excited like you've just gotten the greatest revelation... then the thought starts to creep in, "Wait a minute... haven't I learned this already somewhere?..." :rolleyes:
Sometimes especially in my morning personal time with God I will get little flashes of a bit truth from a verse I am reading or of an unrelated thing on another verse of scripture or from my own previous experiences or from a dream in the night.

It will be something new to me and yet at the moment it will not fit into the puzzle [think multidimensional jigsaw puzzle] already building within me. Later down the road this one or that one of those odd unrelated pieces will fall into place in me...

On a verse of scripture, how many times had I read it before and never saw a thing?

What a mighty God we serve!

GTW27

Dec 6, 2018
wilderness
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I guess the “whosoever believes in Me” clause (i.e. every Christian should be doing miracles) causes me to stand by my original interpretation. I don’t know about you, but I haven’t raised the dead recently. A friend of mine from church is fighting breast cancer. I wish I could heal her - but I can’t. The best I can do is sit with her and pray with her during the chemo sessions.

Blessings in Christ Jesus Lambano! And these signs shall accompany those that believe, "you shall lay your hands on the sick and they shall recover" This is a promise, all you need do is believe. The Lord always keeps His promises. The healings and the "greater things" have always been Him through us. All you need do is believe(have faith) then step out of your comfort zone(the boat) and lay your hands on your friend. It is He, that does the rest. The Lord has said, "apart from Me you can do nothing", but He has also said," I will never leave you, nor will I forsake you." Those that are truly born from above(born again,) have both The Father and The Son(Jesus) in the form of The Holy Spirit living with in them. This is The Means of the healings and the "greater things". All one needs do is believe, and then act. This was the way it was at the beginning church(The Way in Acts) age, and so it can be again if only we will believe. It does not take a person that has a high calling in The Lord, to do this, even a child, who believes, can do it.

Lambano

Jul 13, 2021
Island of Misfit Toys
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
GTW27, I have no doubt whatsoever that the Great Physician could heal my friend miraculously. I can ask Him to heal her; I cannot presume that it is His will to do so. Does that mean my lack of faith is responsible if He chooses not to? (“Who sinned, this man or his parents, that this man was born blind?”) I pray no one ever lays that kind of guilt trip on you. But I do invite you to pray for her yourself; she’ll happily take whatever prayer cover she can get. And I ain’t too proud to ask.

My friend told me that in college, someone at her church convinced her that God wanted to heal her diabetes, so she stopped taking her insulin. That didn’t end well. I don’t think I can in good conscience recommend she skip the surgery. (At least we’re past the chemo; that’s been hellish.) And who knows, that may be the means by which God does heal her. And one of the means by which we imitate Jesus’s works (to guide us back on topic.)

Last edited:
Reactions: DuckieLady

DuckieLady

Jan 8, 2021
Midwest-ish
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
GTW27, I have no doubt whatsoever that the Great Physician could heal my friend miraculously. I can ask Him to heal her; I cannot presume that it is His will to do so. Does that mean my lack of faith is responsible if He chooses not to? (“Who sinned, this man or his parents, that this man was born blind?”) I pray no one ever lays that kind of guilt trip on you. But I do invite you to pray for her yourself; she’ll happily take whatever prayer cover she can get. And I ain’t too proud to ask.

My friend told me that in college, someone at her church convinced her that God wanted to heal her diabetes, so she stopped taking her insulin. That didn’t end well. I don’t think I can in good conscience recommend she skip the surgery. (At least we’re past the chemo; that’s been hellish.) And who knows, that may be the means by which God does heal her. And one of the means by which we imitate Jesus’s works (to guide us back on topic.)
Healing isn't always God's will. Just look at Paul. Prayed three times...

I do not personally have that gift, some do, but I don't personally believe everyone does. 1 Corinthians 12 says the gifts are distributed among believers individually.

Reactions: amadeus

BARNEY BRIGHT

Oct 29, 2017
Thomaston Georgia
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
What do you think Jesus meant by greater things? "Greater Things than these" has been going through my head for a couple of days now.

John 14:11-14
Believe me when I say that I am in the Father and the Father is in me; or at least believe on the evidence of the works themselves.

Very truly I tell you, whoever believes in me will do the works I have been doing, and they will do even greater things than these, because I am going to the Father.

And I will do whatever you ask in my name, so that the Father may be glorified in the Son. You may ask me for anything in my name, and I will do it.

The greatest thing that Jesus did while on earth that the apostles and disciples of Jesus could do greater was the spreading of the good news of God kingdom. This heavenly kingdom that Jesus has been made king of is the hope of mankind and the apostles and disciples of Jesus they spread it to all the nations of the known world of that time while Jesus spread it mainly to the Jewess nation. This is the greater works that the apostles and disciples of Jesus did.

Last edited:

Lambano

Jul 13, 2021
Island of Misfit Toys
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
That was mean of me. I’m sorry, GTW27. I know you meant well.

I guess what I’m trying to say is that I’ve found that real life doesn’t fit the conceptual model you’ve laid out.

I’m still getting to know this Jesus feller (aren’t we all?), and I know this ain’t the first time I’ve misunderstood Him. Nor will it be the last. I am certain of my first point - that Jesus’s understanding of “great” and “greater” is going to be different than the world’s. That’s why I thought Fluffy’s original question was so poignant.

Last edited:
Reactions: amadeus

GTW27

Dec 6, 2018
wilderness
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
That was mean of me. I’m sorry, GTW27. I know you meant well.

I guess what I’m trying to say is that I’ve found that real life doesn’t fit the conceptual model you’ve laid out.

I’m still getting to know this Jesus feller (aren’t we all?), and I know this ain’t the first time I’ve misunderstood Him. Nor will it be the last. I am certain of my first point - that Jesus’s understanding of “great” and “greater” is going to be different than the world’s. That’s why I thought Fluffy’s original question was so poignant.

Blessings in Christ Jesus Lambano. I take no offence Lambano and I will pray for your friend. Perhaps a story is in order, a true story. Last year around this time I went to the doctors because of the pain below my waist. The doctor examined me and sent me for blood work. When the blood work came back it showed my psa(prostate antigen) was 70.77. She then sent me to a urologist. The urologist did a rectal exam(not fun) and he said he could feel a large tumor on my prostate. He then set me up to have a biopsy done which confirmed the cancer. On the very first day of meeting this urologist I asked him, "what do you see doctor,(held up my left hand) a dead man walking, or (held up my right hand) or a man of God?" This took him by surprise and he did not answer. After the confirmation of the diagnosis, he sceduled me for a full body scan to see if this affliction was in my bones. What this scan revealed was that this affliction was not in my bones but the two lympnodes that were close to the prostate were swollen well above normal size. On my second visit he suggested hormone treatment and said the tumor was too big for surgery and or radiation. So I agreed to the hormone treatment which involves a shot and pills. So after this prognoses I consulted The Lord on the matter and He said, "My son you shall live and not die". This is another promise of The Lord just like the ones you have read, but this was a personal one. At this time I was led to choose a handful of people to explain my situation to and I humbly asked for prayer. I knew that this handful of people were my brothers and sisters in Christ Jesus. I knew that we all were One in Him, and Him in us. So that you may know a psa(prostate antigen) of 10 is a high number but mine was 70.77. I had a friend, a good friend that also reacted the way that you have to the words I was led to give to you. They even went overboard and said, "then heal yourself". Well any way, my last appointment was last week, Before that appointment, I had a blood test and a ct scan(pelvic). As I sat there with the doctor he gave me the results. My psa was now .0020 and my lympnodes by side by side comparison had returned to normal size. He also insisted on a rectal exam(not fun). His comment was that the prostate felt smooth. Oh how merciful and faithful The Lord is. When He was here, how many did He turn away. How many did He not heal. That was His will then, and that is His will today. So I stand by the words that I wrote above, for what The Lord Has spoken, it is settled in heaven and on the earth. We only need believe.(have faith). "And for those that believe, you shall lay your hands on the sick and they shall recover"." And if two agree as touching anything on earth I will do it"

Nancy

Staff member
Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
What do you think Jesus meant by greater things? "Greater Things than these" has been going through my head for a couple of days now.

Believe me when I say that I am in the Father and the Father is in me; or at least believe on the evidence of the works themselves.

Very truly I tell you, whoever believes in me will do the works I have been doing, and they will do even greater things than these, because I am going to the Father.

And I will do whatever you ask in my name, so that the Father may be glorified in the Son. You may ask me for anything in my name, and I will do it.
Hi Fluffy,
This had me thinking a while back and what I have come to believe is that it could possibly mean greater in scope rather than in power...?

DuckieLady

Jan 8, 2021
Midwest-ish
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hi Fluffy,
This had me thinking a while back and what I have come to believe is that it could possibly mean greater in scope rather than in power...?
I can see that! I need to review the whole chapter again because a few verses out of context could throw us all off. Lol

Reactions: Nancy

Nancy

Staff member
Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I can see that! I need to review the whole chapter again because a few verses out of context could throw us all off. Lol
Yes indeed....it is just what I have started to believe a few years back as a possibility, I'm NOT good at "study", never had good study habits in school either so, this could surely be way off base, lol.

quietthinker

May 4, 2018
FNQ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
so much more happened because each person could now do the work of the Lord….
and what was the work of the Lord?. I find an answer in the story of the woman at the well. In particular how he answered his disciples when they brought him food. John 4:4-26

When we hear the words 'greater things' there is an assumption of there being 'magic'....miracles if you like, but what greater thing trumps raising someone from the dead?....if we use our assumption as the measure.
The 'greater thing' is none other than having the privilege of sharing of God's kindness to numbers far in excess of what Jesus physically accessed

Reactions: Rita

quietthinker

May 4, 2018
FNQ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
The power to move in supernatural gifts will characterize the end-time army of God. If you are called to that army, you are still very young, and could indeed move in them some day. You just need to pay the price is all.
and how will one distinguish demons working miracles under the cover of a pseudo faith and those done by God's spirit?
...the supernatural will fool many.

Brakelite

Feb 6, 2020
Melbourne
brakelite.wordpress.com
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia

For over 3 years Jesus spoke to multitudes, healed entire villages, rebuked the religious leaders of His day, and converted very few. Even His brothers didn't believe in Him.
But go to the first sermon from Peter and the result was...
KJV Acts 2:41
41 Then they that gladly received his word were baptized: and the same day there were added unto them about three thousand souls.
That's greater than what Jesus did. Men, filled with the Spirit of God, with unselfish motives and a passion for truth and hearts of compassion and love will see the lost saved,
KJV Daniel 11:32-33
32 And such as do wickedly against the covenant shall he corrupt by flatteries: but the people that do know their God shall be strong, and do exploits.
33 And they that understand among the people shall instruct many: yet they shall fall by the sword, and by flame, by captivity, and by spoil, many days.

Hidden In Him

May 10, 2018
Lafayette, LA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
and how will one distinguish demons working miracles under the cover of a pseudo faith and those done by God's spirit?
...the supernatural will fool many.

By the doctrines they teach. This was the historic way of telling the difference during New Testament times, and will be so again in the end-times.

JunChosen

Apr 7, 2020
Los Angeles
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The greatest thing that Jesus did while on earth that the apostles and disciples of Jesus could do greater was the spreading of the good news of God kingdom. This heavenly kingdom that Jesus has been made kingdom of is the hope of mankind and the apostles and disciples of Jesus they spread it to all the nations of the known world of that time while Jesus spread it mainly to the Jewess nation. This is the greater works that the apostles and disciples of Jesus did.

Yes! @BARNEY BRIGHT is right on. Aside from going to the cross, Jesus was also dispatched to earth to send forth the Gospel but note, Jesus as the Greatest Teacher that ever walked the earth had only a little over five hundred disciples in Galilee and one hundred and twenty in the upper room. Then Peter stands up on Pentecost and gives one sermon and three thousands were saved. This phenomenon was what Jesus was speaking when He said we will do greater works.

Yes, Pentecost was the beginning when God through His Apostles began to evangelize the world which was prophesied by Joel, but the beginning really began in Matthew 28:19-20, in the Great Commission.

To God Be The Glory