GREEDY persons cannot inherit the kingdom of God

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

TonyChanYT

Sep 13, 2023
Toronto
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
New International Version, Ephesians 5:

5 For of this you can be sure: No immoral, impure or greedy [G4123] person—such a person is an idolater—has any inheritance in the kingdom of Christ and of God.
English Standard Version:

For you may be sure of this, that everyone who is sexually immoral or impure, or who is covetous [G4123] (that is, an idolater), has no inheritance in the kingdom of Christ and God.
In English, the word "greedy" and "covetous" carry different nuances, Merriam-Webster:

covetous implies inordinate desire often for another's possessions.
greedy stresses lack of restraint and often of discrimination in desire.
In Greek, G4123 carries both of these nuances, Thayer's Greek Lexicon:

STRONGS NT 4123: πλεονέκτης
  1. one eager to have more, especially what belongs to others ((Thucydides 1, 40, 1 (cf. Herodotus 7, 158)); Xenophon, mem. 1, 5, 3);
2. greedy of gain, covetous: 1 Corinthians 5:10, 11; 1 Corinthians 6:10; Ephesians 5:5; Sir. 14:9.
Either way, G4123 is a sin, Luke 12:

15 Then he said to them, “Watch out! Be on your guard against all kinds of greedy [G4123]; life does not consist in an abundance of possessions.”
Is it G4123/greedy/covetous to maximize your profit within a capitalist system?

Not necessarily, because your maximization is restrained by competition. If you break the law while doing it, then it is a crime and a sin.

What do you do with your profits?

Matthew 6:

20 but lay up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where neither moth nor rust destroys and where thieves do not break in and steal. 21 For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also.
Use it to do good for God's purposes. Is your heart on the profits or on God?

Reactions: Nancy

Randy Kluth

Apr 27, 2020
Pacific NW
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
New International Version, Ephesians 5:

English Standard Version:

In English, the word "greedy" and "covetous" carry different nuances, Merriam-Webster:

In Greek, G4123 carries both of these nuances, Thayer's Greek Lexicon:

1. one eager to have more, especially what belongs to others ((Thucydides 1, 40, 1 (cf. Herodotus 7, 158)); Xenophon, mem. 1, 5, 3);

Either way, G4123 is a sin, Luke 12:

Is it G4123/greedy/covetous to maximize your profit within a capitalist system?

Not necessarily, because your maximization is restrained by competition. If you break the law while doing it, then it is a crime and a sin.

What do you do with your profits?

Matthew 6:

Use it to do good for God's purposes. Is your heart on the profits or on God?
The ultimate sin of "greed" is to want something that God does not want us to have. And it is much worse to devote yourself to being a "greedy" person in this way, as opposed to "slipping up" once in awhile.

Those who commit to "going their own way," rejecting submission to God, will be placed in a place separate from the fellowship of the saints, and somewhat distant from God's own fellowship. Of course, there are those who commit to "going their own way" who may have been unduly influenced by unfortunate, negative circumstances. God will have mercy according to how a person deals with this on the inside.

Reactions: TonyChanYT

Bob Estey

Aug 18, 2021
Sparks, Nevada
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The ultimate sin of "greed" is to want something that God does not want us to have. And it is much worse to devote yourself to being a "greedy" person in this way, as opposed to "slipping up" once in awhile.

Those who commit to "going their own way," rejecting submission to God, will be placed in a place separate from the fellowship of the saints, and somewhat distant from God's own fellowship. Of course, there are those who commit to "going their own way" who may have been unduly influenced by unfortunate, negative circumstances. God will have mercy according to how a person deals with this on the inside.
I think to exist in heaven, one must obey the commandments.

Cassandra

Sep 24, 2021
Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

This is the best definition of greed I have ever seen.

Randy Kluth

Apr 27, 2020
Pacific NW
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
This is the best definition of greed I have ever seen.
I'm certain it is not. However, the fact you say something so sweet really made my day. Thank you so much for your kind words. You have no idea how I get the opposite on a regular basis! ;) May your day be even more blessed than you blessed mine! :)

Randy Kluth

Apr 27, 2020
Pacific NW
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I think to exist in heaven, one must obey the commandments.
God called Man from the beginning to live in His own image. That means we keep His words by nature and by instinct. To *not* follow His word is an evil that we are born with and have to try to overcome. But I'm certain that in the resurrection those of us who are with the Lord will still be "obeying the commandments" of God.

Reactions: Bob Estey