How much does drinking become sin?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

TonyChanYT

Sep 13, 2023
Toronto
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
It depends on the individual.

Titus 2:

12 training us to renounce ungodliness and worldly passions, and to live self-controlled, upright, and godly lives in the present age
1 Peter 5:

8 Be sober-minded [G3525]; be watchful. Your adversary the devil prowls around like a roaring lion, seeking someone to devour.
Strong's Greek: 3525. νήφω (néphó) — 6 Occurrences

HELPS Word-studies:

3525 nḗphō – properly, to be sober (not drunk), not intoxicated; (figuratively) free from illusion, i.e. from the intoxicating influences of sin (like the impact of selfish passion, greed, etc.).
1 Thessalonians 5:

6 So then let us not sleep, as others do, but let us keep awake and be sober. 7For those who sleep, sleep at night, and those who get drunk, are drunk at night. 8a But since we belong to the day, let us be sober.
When one is no longer sober-minded and has lost control, then he is drunk.

How do we judge that?

The line is not really that clear-cut. There are some grey areas.

Some Jews wrongfully accused Jesus of being a drunkard, Matthew 11:

19 The Son of Man came eating and drinking, and they say, ‘Here is a glutton and a drunkard, a friend of tax collectors and sinners.’ But wisdom is proved right by her deeds.”
We should not be too quick to accuse someone of being drunk or intoxicated.

John 2:

10 and said to him, “Everyone serves the good wine first, and when people have drunk freely
We don't want to be party poopers on special occasions :) Jesus was there and he graciously provided even more wine to continue the merrymaking.

Proverbs 23 paints a more serious situation:

33 Your eyes will see strange things,
and your heart utter perverse things.
34 You will be like one who lies down in the midst of the sea,
like one who lies on the top of a mast.
35“They struck me,” you will say, “but I was not hurt;
they beat me, but I did not feel it.
When shall I awake?
I must have another drink.”
That is a habitual drunkard losing his mind and his feeling.

1 Corinthians 6:

9 Or do you not know that the unrighteous will not inherit the kingdom of God? Do not be deceived: neither the sexually immoral, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor men who practice homosexuality, 10 nor thieves, nor the greedy, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor swindlers will inherit the kingdom of God.
A person who practices being drunk as his lifestyle will not end well.

Similar reasoning can be applied to psychedelic drugs.

Can a high dose of psychedelics open doorways to the demonic?

Yes.

Last edited:

Reggie Belafonte

Mar 16, 2018
Brisbane
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
That you are making yourself a pain to others ?

I had a mate that had a transplant and we all would go out to a night club and he would come up to me a yank on my shirt and say the transformation is about to take place ! into a Mugwar !
In the morning people would come around and would say to him, you were a real a hole last night ! and he would just smile ear to ear.

But we just put up with him, because of all the medication that he had to take.

Lambano

Jul 13, 2021
Island of Misfit Toys
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Similar reasoning can be applied to psychedelic drugs.

Can a high dose of psychedelics open doorways to the demonic?

Yes.
A friend of mine from back in the college days will testify this is true.

Strange how God works. A really bad acid trip (or was it mushrooms?) led him into the realm of the demonic. The experience frightened him so badly that he swore off drugs. Within a couple of weeks, he met the woman he would eventually marry, who led him to Christ.

Praise God!

• Love
Reactions: TonyChanYT

Cassandra

Sep 24, 2021
Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
"33 Your eyes will see strange things,
and your heart utter perverse things.
34 You will be like one who lies down in the midst of the sea,
like one who lies on the top of a mast.
35“They struck me,” you will say, “but I was not hurt;
they beat me, but I did not feel it"

This was the first time I got trashed. don't like the feeling (or lack of it)Haven't had a drink in over 20 years. I don't touch the stuff. It would take me about 1/2 can of beer to get super tipsy.
Another problem is that drinking loosens the tongue. Be careful who you are around when you drink.. I've seen friendships get lost.

I don't fault anyone for drinking. It's just not for me.

Reactions: amadeus and Lambano