Guardian Angels.

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Does anyone know anything from the scriptures about this?
I know nothing. Heard a lot of stories,one preacher say he has spoken to his and knows his name!! But I know nothing that is set in stone scriptually.

The only scripture I am aware of is Matt 18:10 -
"Take heed that ye despise not one of these little ones; for I say unto you, That in heaven their angels do always behold the face of my Father which is in heaven."
It sounds there as if we each have a guardian angel from birth...

Anyone?

Reactions: pia and FHII

aspen

“"The harvest is plentiful but the workers are few
Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

FHII

Apr 9, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I know nothing. Heard a lot of stories,one preacher say he has spoken to his and knows his name!! But I know nothing that is set in stone scriptually.

"Take heed that ye despise not one of these little ones; for I say unto you, That in heaven their angels do always behold the face of my Father which is in heaven."

Anyone?
Sounds reasonable. No doubt there are angels that guard. In a sense Lot had two. Exodus 23 also speaks of somewhat a guardian angel. Even Jesus said he had a league of angels ready to help him. Peter had angels break out of prison.. ..

Whether or not we have personal guardian angels who look like Frankie Avelon.... Don't know. But its clear that there are angels that guard us from harm.

pia

May 30, 2009
West Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia

Anyone?
Hi 'ByGrace".........Isn't there a place where ( I think it may have been Paul ) it is reported to us, that we must be kind to strangers, as we could be entertaining angels unaware ? Know zero about Guardian angels, but a lot of lot of people swear by them ( so to speak ).... Would love to hear also :)

Reactions: Helen

Dcopymope

May 22, 2016
Motor City
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hi 'ByGrace".........Isn't there a place where ( I think it may have been Paul ) it is reported to us, that we must be kind to strangers, as we could be entertaining angels unaware ? Know zero about Guardian angels, but a lot of lot of people swear by them ( so to speak ).... Would love to hear also :)

(Hebrews 13:1-2) "Let brotherly love continue. {2} Be not forgetful to entertain strangers: for thereby some have entertained angels unawares."

:eek: This is kind of creepy when you think about it.

Dcopymope

May 22, 2016
Motor City
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I just think it is amazing and fascinating :) Your little emojicon made me giggle so much

Well, knowing what angels are capable of, I wouldn't want to be a bystander if someone intended to deal an angel some damage. That's one good reason to be kind to strangers, because you really don't know what you are dealing with. :)

Reactions: Job

pia

May 30, 2009
West Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Well, knowing what angels are capable of, I wouldn't want to be a bystander if someone intended to deal an angel some damage. That's one good reason to be kind to strangers, because you really don't know what you are dealing with. :)
I love it, thanks :)

Stranger

Oct 5, 2016
Texas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I believe we do have guardian angels. Angels are very prominent in this work of salvation that God is doing. They are very much part of the spiritual warfare that is taking place. As Decopymope showed in (Hebrews 13:1-2), they can manifest themselves as people and you may have, or probably have, met them and not known it.

(Heb. 1:14) says of the angels, "Are they not all ministering spirits, sent forth to minister for them who shall be heirs of salvation." I believe this verse shows that the angels are very busy in protecting the 'heirs of salvation', even before they have gotten saved. God knows those who are his from the moment of birth, and before. Thus the need to keep them alive until the time of their profession of Christ as Saviour. Then they are involved in whatever the believers life my lead to.

I'ts my opinion also that Satan doesn't know as God knows. But he is quite the observer. And I believe when one of the elect is born that there is sufficient amount of angelic activity around to indicate to him that this is a child of God.

Stranger

pia

May 30, 2009
West Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
I believe we do have guardian angels. Angels are very prominent in this work of salvation that God is doing. They are very much part of the spiritual warfare that is taking place. As Decopymope showed in (Hebrews 13:1-2), they can manifest themselves as people and you may have, or probably have, met them and not known it.

(Heb. 1:14) says of the angels, "Are they not all ministering spirits, sent forth to minister for them who shall be heirs of salvation." I believe this verse shows that the angels are very busy in protecting the 'heirs of salvation', even before they have gotten saved. God knows those who are his from the moment of birth, and before. Thus the need to keep them alive until the time of their profession of Christ as Saviour. Then they are involved in whatever the believers life my lead to.

I'ts my opinion also that Satan doesn't know as God knows. But he is quite the observer. And I believe when one of the elect is born that there is sufficient amount of angelic activity around to indicate to him that this is a child of God.

Stranger
Agree 100%

tbhbread

Aug 7, 2017
New Orleans
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I believe they do exist based off several verses mentioned in this thread :3 I think it's pretty cool that we could have very well encountered an angel without being aware of it. They are among us.

Reactions: FHII

Grams

Jul 11, 2017
brown city
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yes there are angles all around ,,,,,,,, but is that not just a Catholic thing ?
I remember when I was catholic I heard a lot on that........ But now into the bible and a different church
I do not remember any talk on this...... But then my memory comes and goes at my age.....

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Yes there are angles all around ,,,,,,,, but is that not just a Catholic thing ?
I remember when I was catholic I heard a lot on that........ But now into the bible and a different church
I do not remember any talk on this...... But then my memory comes and goes at my age.....

That's what I was thinking when I started the thread. We DONT hear much about them now. I agree with Stranger...I think they are much much " here with us" And who knows how many times in life they have saved us from trouble!! Probably often.
It seems in the O.T. They more more recognized...and came to Abraham as he sat in his tent doorway ...before the Sodom thing.
Many angels were revealed to the scared young servant of Elisha at Dothan.
" And Elisha said, Lord open his eyes that he may see."
And the Lord opened his eyes and he saw they were surrounded and protected.
Many reference more in the O.T. But not much today!
Maybe like Elisha said ...our eyes are not " open" maybe!!

No, it's not a Catholic thing ...:) It's a Bible thing.

When I was young we had a missionary preach at the little mission hall.
She was saying the in Africa they came to a village and won some of them to the Lord. They then told her that as she and companions traveled into the bush they had surrounded them to kill them. But she and friends were having a " breaking of bread" moment with a banana and water. The African tribesmen backed off and left them...because as the little groups " broke bread" the tribesmen knew it was to 'a god' AND they saw Angels with swords all around them ....just like in Dothan. Yet the missionary was totally unaware.

I'm late, gotta run now...

Reactions: GodsGrace and pia

KBCid

Dec 22, 2011
Atlanta
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It sounds there as if we each have a guardian angel from birth... Anyone?

Good angels are ministering spirits of God.
Good angels minister to the will of God.
If God wills that anyone should be protected then that person would indeed have a guardian angel but, to assume that everyone has a guardian angel goes beyond scripture. There are indeed angels watching all of us from both sides of the conflict and they are both good angels and evil angels. Just as God has his ministering spirits so does satan;

Rev 12:3 And there appeared another wonder in heaven; and behold a great red dragon, having seven heads and ten horns, and seven crowns upon his heads. drew the third part of the stars of heaven, and did cast them to the earth...

7 And there was war in heaven:Michael and his angels fought against the dragon; and the dragon fought and his angels, neither was their place found any more in heaven. dragon was cast out, that old serpent, called the Devil, and Satan, which deceiveth the whole world: he was cast out into the earth, and his angels were cast out with him.

The final answer is no. None of us are born with a guardian angel but we are under watch at all times by angels and a record is kept so that we may be judged;

Revelation 20:12 And I saw the dead, small and great, stand before God; and the books were opened: and another book was opened, which is the book of life: and the dead were judged out of those things which were written in the books, according to their works.

But, God doesn't only keep a record of the bad;

Malachi 3:16 Then they that feared the Lord spake often one to another: and the Lord hearkened, and heard it, and a book of remembrance was written before him for them that feared the Lord, and that thought upon his name. 17 And they shall be mine, saith the Lord of hosts, in that day when I make up my jewels; and I will spare them, as a man spareth his own son that serveth him. 18 Then shall ye return, and discern between the righteous and the wicked, between him that serveth God and him that serveth him not.

As I noted above we can each be under God's protection if he wills it, and Christ has shown us how to ask for that protection from his Father;

Matthew 6:6 But thou, when thou prayest, enter into thy closet, and when thou hast shut thy door, pray to thy Father which is in secret; and thy Father which seeth in secret shall reward thee openly. 7 But when ye pray, use not vain repetitions, as the heathen do: for they think that they shall be heard for their much speaking. 8 Be not ye therefore like unto them: for your Father knoweth what things ye have need of, before ye ask him. 9 After this manner therefore pray ye:
Our Father which art in heaven, Hallowed be thy name. 10 Thy kingdom come, Thy will be done in earth, as it is in heaven. 11 Give us this day our daily bread. 12 And forgive us our debts, as we forgive our debtors. 13 And lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from evil: For thine is the kingdom, and the power, and the glory, for ever. Amen.

If you don't sincerely love the Father and Christ with all your heart and soul and mind then you should not expect their protection. If children were under heavenly protection then we would never see this;

Key facts
  • Nearly 9 million children under the age of five die every year, according to 2007 figures.
  • Around 70% of these early child deaths are due to conditions that could be prevented or treated with access to simple, affordable interventions.
  • Leading causes of death in under-five children are pneumonia, diarrhoea and health problems during the first month of life.
  • Over one third of all child deaths are linked to malnutrition.
WHO | Child mortality

And no one would realize just how much sin costs.

Reactions: GodsGrace

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Thank you @KBCid ...that gives me lots to read, and re read..and process.
Bless you for that!! :)

Stranger

Oct 5, 2016
Texas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Good angels are ministering spirits of God.
Good angels minister to the will of God.
If God wills that anyone should be protected then that person would indeed have a guardian angel but, to assume that everyone has a guardian angel goes beyond scripture. There are indeed angels watching all of us from both sides of the conflict and they are both good angels and evil angels. Just as God has his ministering spirits so does satan;

Rev 12:3 And there appeared another wonder in heaven; and behold a great red dragon, having seven heads and ten horns, and seven crowns upon his heads. drew the third part of the stars of heaven, and did cast them to the earth...

7 And there was war in heaven:Michael and his angels fought against the dragon; and the dragon fought and his angels, neither was their place found any more in heaven. dragon was cast out, that old serpent, called the Devil, and Satan, which deceiveth the whole world: he was cast out into the earth, and his angels were cast out with him.

The final answer is no. None of us are born with a guardian angel but we are under watch at all times by angels and a record is kept so that we may be judged;

Revelation 20:12 And I saw the dead, small and great, stand before God; and the books were opened: and another book was opened, which is the book of life: and the dead were judged out of those things which were written in the books, according to their works.

But, God doesn't only keep a record of the bad;

Malachi 3:16 Then they that feared the Lord spake often one to another: and the Lord hearkened, and heard it, and a book of remembrance was written before him for them that feared the Lord, and that thought upon his name. 17 And they shall be mine, saith the Lord of hosts, in that day when I make up my jewels; and I will spare them, as a man spareth his own son that serveth him. 18 Then shall ye return, and discern between the righteous and the wicked, between him that serveth God and him that serveth him not.

As I noted above we can each be under God's protection if he wills it, and Christ has shown us how to ask for that protection from his Father;

Matthew 6:6 But thou, when thou prayest, enter into thy closet, and when thou hast shut thy door, pray to thy Father which is in secret; and thy Father which seeth in secret shall reward thee openly. 7 But when ye pray, use not vain repetitions, as the heathen do: for they think that they shall be heard for their much speaking. 8 Be not ye therefore like unto them: for your Father knoweth what things ye have need of, before ye ask him. 9 After this manner therefore pray ye:
Our Father which art in heaven, Hallowed be thy name. 10 Thy kingdom come, Thy will be done in earth, as it is in heaven. 11 Give us this day our daily bread. 12 And forgive us our debts, as we forgive our debtors. 13 And lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from evil: For thine is the kingdom, and the power, and the glory, for ever. Amen.

If you don't sincerely love the Father and Christ with all your heart and soul and mind then you should not expect their protection. If children were under heavenly protection then we would never see this;

Key facts
  • Nearly 9 million children under the age of five die every year, according to 2007 figures.
  • Around 70% of these early child deaths are due to conditions that could be prevented or treated with access to simple, affordable interventions.
  • Leading causes of death in under-five children are pneumonia, diarrhoea and health problems during the first month of life.
  • Over one third of all child deaths are linked to malnutrition.
WHO | Child mortality

And no one would realize just how much sin costs.

First of all no one said everyone has a guardian angel. But I certainly believe every believer has. Because every believer is a child of God. And before they come to that faith in Christ, God knows they are a child of His. Thus when they are born, it becomes the responsibility of an angel or several angels to keep this one alive at least to the place where he places faith in Jesus Christ. (Heb. 2:14) "Are they not all ministering spirits, sent forth to minister for them who shall be heirs of salvation." Note 'shall be'.

Those who are born and are not the children of God don't have these angels. God knows them that are His, and He knows them that are not His.

Stranger

KBCid

Dec 22, 2011
Atlanta
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
First of all no one said everyone has a guardian angel.

ummm yes the OP did state that ;

"The only scripture I am aware of is Matt 18:10 -

But I certainly believe every believer has. Because every believer is a child of God. And before they come to that faith in Christ, God knows they are a child of His. Thus when they are born, it becomes the responsibility of an angel or several angels to keep this one alive at least to the place where he places faith in Jesus Christ. (Heb. 2:14) "Are they not all ministering spirits, sent forth to minister for them who shall be heirs of salvation." Note 'shall be'.
Those who are born and are not the children of God don't have these angels. God knows them that are His, and He knows them that are not His.

I can certainly take note of the "shall be" and this is where translation can take on a life / meaning of its own. Depending on how the translator words things we can read into the text things that may not have been meant. Let's look at various translations to gain an understanding of this thing;

International Standard Version
All of them are spirits on a divine mission, sent to serve those who are about to inherit salvation, aren't they?
Young's Literal Translation
are they not all spirits of service -- for ministration being sent forth because of those about to inherit salvation?
Berean Literal Bible
Are they not all ministering spirits, being sent forth for service for the sake of those being about to inherit salvation?
Weymouth New Testament
Are not all angels spirits that serve Him--whom He sends out to render service for the benefit of those who, before long, will inherit salvation

See these translations imply the angels are sent at a time when the believer nears his inheritance point and does not imply from birth.

Jubilee Bible 2000
Are they not all ministering spirits, sent forth in service for the love of those who are the heirs of saving health?

and here they imply service for those already saved.

Here are some commentaries on this subject;
Ellicott's Commentary for English Readers
To the English reader it may seem that those who in Hebrews 1:7 are God’s ministers are here represented as servants of man. It is not really so, for the words properly mean, . . . sent forth (that is, continually sent forth) to do service (to God), for the sake of them who are to inherit salvation.

Gill's Exposition of the Entire Bible
and so the Ethiopic version renders it, "who are heirs of salvation"; nor should it be rendered, "who shall be heirs", but rather, "who shall inherit salvation"; for this character respects not their heirship, but their actual inheriting of salvation: and the ministry of angels to, and for them, lies in things temporal and spiritual, or what concern both their bodies and their souls

Your concept that God knows who his chosen are before they are even born is not born out by scripture. God made us in his image and that image includes the power of choice. To assert that one is born with their choice already made removes from them their godly image and renders them as automaton. What sense does it make for God to say;

Ezekiel 18:21-23 “But if a wicked person turns away from all his sins that he has committed and keeps all my statutes and does what is just and right, he shall surely live; he shall not die. None of the transgressions that he has committed shall be remembered against him; for the righteousness that he has done he shall live. Have I any pleasure in the death of the wicked, declares the Lord God, and not rather that he should turn from his way and live.

If there was no possibility for us to have the power of choice?