Halloween Street Preaching

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Marymog

Mar 7, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
My pov may be colored by bias...or it may not be. I would suggest reading the passage for yourself and asking the Holy Spirit to show you the unbiased interpretation...something I do most of the time.

Why do you only ask the Holy Spirit to help you be not to be biased "most of the time"? Why not ask all of the time?

Willie T

Heaven Sent
Staff member
Sep 14, 2017
St. Petersburg Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Why do you only ask the Holy Spirit to help you be not to be biased "most of the time"? Why not ask all of the time?
Simply holding that Jesus is Lord, when an Atheist declares differently is being biased. It may come as a shock, but "bias" is not a dirty word. Jesus was extremely biased.

We should all hope to be biased when it comes to God.

Giuliano

Aug 4, 2019
Carlisle
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
For one thing, our religion is not the Force here.
I use the phrase "Dark Side" to refer to a variety of malevolent forces including the demonic.

Secondly, scripture is clear on the subject of total depravity; that ever since Adam and Eve ate of the fruit of the tree of the knowledge of good and evil, sin is inherent in every person who belongs to the human race (Jesus being the exception, since the sin DNA is passed down through the father and the Father of Jesus was God the Father).
One sin and you say Adam and Eve were totally depraved? And if they started off totally depraved, how did mankind become more wicked over time? Why did Noah find grace in the eyes of God? Was he also totally depraved in your book?

Genesis 6:9 These are the generations of Noah: Noah was a just man and perfect in his generations, and Noah walked with God.

Was Enoch also totally depraved?

Genesis 6:23 And all the days of Enoch were three hundred sixty and five years:
24 And Enoch walked with God: and he was not; for God took him.

Was Abel totally depraved?

The Bible teaches that all have sinned and come short of the glory of God and that if we say that we have no sin, we deceive ourselves and the truth is not in us.
So? Does that mean we are all totally depraved? If so, why should you care about Halloween celebrations? Why not say, "Oh well, I think they're depraved, but isn't everyone depraved anyway?"

I knew that you would say what you did about the second verse I quoted; but in saying what you said you were ignoring the first verse.

Again, Jeremiah 17:9 says,

Jer 17:9, The heart is deceitful above all things, and desperately wicked: who can know it?

Do you know what that means? It means people can convince themselves of almost anything. They can get themselves so confused, they can't sort the thoughts of their own hearts out.

What about the previous passage? Look at it the context. Does that also imply that everyone is desperately wicked?

Jeremiah 17:7 Blessed is the man that trusteth in the Lord, and whose hope the Lord is.
8 For he shall be as a tree planted by the waters, and that spreadeth out her roots by the river, and shall not see when heat cometh, but her leaf shall be green; and shall not be careful in the year of drought, neither shall cease from yielding fruit.
9 The heart is deceitful above all things, and desperately wicked: who can know it?
10 I the Lord search the heart, I try the reins, even to give every man according to his ways, and according to the fruit of his doings.

Is God threatening to punish everyone the same way because everyone is totally depraved?

And I am not saying by this that mankind is worthless to God. God demonstrated His love towards us in that, while we were yet sinners, Christ died for us. What this means is that our soul has value to God even though it is completely inundated by sin. God likes to take the junkers and make something out of them: He is in the business of renovating junkers.
No, you still don't have it right. God loves it when we see our mistakes and repent. He always likes to forgive us when we want to change for the better and not repeat our past mistakes. God gave us the ability to make mistakes, and He also provided a way for them to be corrected.

As a final point I would bring up the fact that Jesus said, I come not to call the righteous, but sinners to repentance.

If you are not a sinner therefore, then you don't need Jesus. You're righteous. Jesus didn't come to call you.
So there are some righteous folks who aren't totally depraved? People like Abel, Enoch, Noah and Abraham?

Giuliano

Aug 4, 2019
Carlisle
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Indeed, Merry Christmas!
Believe it or not, I do not celebrate either Halloween, Easter, or Christmas. I could invent a fiery sermon about the pagan roots of Christmas and how its celebration makes no sense. If it's Jesus' birthday, what do people plan to give him? Why give gifts to each other if it's his birthday. I also remind people that the only birthdays celebrated in the Bible had unfortunate consequences.

Do I care if other people celebrate them? No.

Reactions: amadeus

Marymog

Mar 7, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Simply holding that Jesus is Lord, when an Atheist declares differently is being biased. It may come as a shock, but "bias" is not a dirty word. Jesus was extremely biased.

We should all hope to be biased when it comes to God.
Well, Jesus is Lord so that is not a bias.....that is the Truth. If the atheist doesn't believe THE TRUTH they are not showing their bias they are only showing their ignorance. If a person declares that water is not 2 parts hydrogen and 2 parts oxygen they are not showing a bias....they are denying the truth.

Jesus was not biased in the context of our conversation. Jesus lived and taught the Truth....there is no bias in truth.

unbiased ;) Mary

justbyfaith

Jun 28, 2018
San Pedro
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Sometimes I forget to do it.

I truly do think doggedly adhering to the doctrine of Total Depravity is probably a sign of a deeper psychosis.

I will take that as persecution for righteousness' sake. Since it is a worldly judgment that those who adhere to the Bible are in psychosis. And I choose not to be a friend of the world, James 4:4. And since the world is my enemy, it follows that they would choose to slander my name as having psychosis over the fact that I acknowledge the truth.

I could invent a fiery sermon about the pagan roots of Christmas and how its celebration makes no sense.

If you don't believe in hell, no sermon that you might concoct would ever truly be "fiery".

If a person declares that water is not 2 parts hydrogen and 2 parts oxygen they are not showing a bias....they are denying the truth.

Actually, water is 2 parts hydrogen and 1 part oxygen. You have defined the chemical makeup of hard water.

Willie T

Heaven Sent
Staff member
Sep 14, 2017
St. Petersburg Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Sometimes I forget to do it.

I will take that as persecution for righteousness' sake. Since it is a worldly judgment that those who adhere to the Bible are in psychosis. And I choose not to be a friend of the world, James 4:4. And since the world is my enemy, it follows that they would choose to slander my name as having psychosis over the fact that I acknowledge the truth.

If you don't believe in hell, no sermon that you might concoct would ever truly be "fiery".

Actually, water is 2 parts hydrogen and 1 part oxygen. You have defined the chemical makeup of hard water.
No, I believe you guys are simply under your leader's religious delusion. The one I see as a spiteful, hateful man is that leader, John Calvin.

justbyfaith

Jun 28, 2018
San Pedro
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
No, I believe you guys are simply under your leader's religious delusion. The one I see as a spiteful, hateful man is that leader, John Calvin.
The doctrine of Total Depravity is not believed only by Calvinists.

I do not consider myself to be a Calvinist by any means; but I do consider that the doctrine of Total Depravity is faithful doctrine according to the Bible.

justbyfaith

Jun 28, 2018
San Pedro
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
People go from having a Jeremiah 17:9 heart to having a Luke 8:15 heart via Ezekiel 36:25-27.

So no, not everyone is desperately wicked; although everyone is born desperately wicked.

To @Giuliano

Grailhunter

Jun 19, 2019
FARMINGTON
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Willie T
I don't mind people preaching the gospel with mega phones but why pick on families? They could go to Washington DC and protest the American Communist Party in the house of Representatives, they could go to an Abortion Clinic, LBGT Rainbow joints, witches covens....why Christian families? I think you get it! Some of those guys maybe like me and pack a .45 and have really neat sense of humor.

Giuliano

Aug 4, 2019
Carlisle
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
People go from having a Jeremiah 17:9 heart to having a Luke 8:15 heart via Ezekiel 36:25-27.

So no, not everyone is desperately wicked; although everyone is born desperately wicked.

To @Giuliano
What this tells me is that you perceive yourself as being born desperately wicked. I wonder why that would be?

Willie T

Heaven Sent
Staff member
Sep 14, 2017
St. Petersburg Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Willie T
I don't mind people preaching the gospel with mega phones but why pick on families? They could go to Washington DC and protest the American Communist Party in the house of Representatives, they could go to an Abortion Clinic, LBGT Rainbow joints, witches covens....why Christian families? I think you get it! Some of those guys maybe like me and pack a .45 and have really neat sense of humor.
Well, I do mind those people preaching with bullhorns. They kind of disgust me.

Last edited:

Grailhunter

Jun 19, 2019
FARMINGTON
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Give me a break JBF, you are not wicked or dirty rags before God. I would say that the scriptures indicate that you are made perfect by the Grace of Christ....and if you were not so....you could not enter into a relation with God....and be a child of the Family of God....

justbyfaith

Jun 28, 2018
San Pedro
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Give me a break JBF, you are not wicked or dirty rags before God. I would say that the scriptures indicate that you are made perfect by the Grace of Christ....and if you were not so....you could not enter into a relation with God....and be a child of the Family of God....
I know it...however that is what I was before I came into a relationship with Jesus Christ through faith.

1Jo 1:7, But if we walk in the light, as he is in the light, we have fellowship one with another, and the blood of Jesus Christ his Son cleanseth us from all sin.
1Jo 1:8, If we say that we have no sin, we deceive ourselves, and the truth is not in us.
1Jo 1:9, If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.
1Jo 1:10, If we say that we have not sinned, we make him a liar, and his word is not in us.

Grailhunter

Jun 19, 2019
FARMINGTON
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I know it...however that is what I was before I came into a relationship with Jesus Christ through faith.

1Jo 1:7, But if we walk in the light, as he is in the light, we have fellowship one with another, and the blood of Jesus Christ his Son cleanseth us from all sin.
1Jo 1:8, If we say that we have no sin, we deceive ourselves, and the truth is not in us.
1Jo 1:9, If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.
1Jo 1:10, If we say that we have not sinned, we make him a liar, and his word is not in us.
Exactly the truth!

Giuliano

Aug 4, 2019
Carlisle
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Because I believe the holy scriptures.
I think you're still struggling with some issues. You, like everyone else, was made in the image and likeness of God.

Luke 18:15-17 And they brought unto him also infants, that he would touch them: but when his disciples saw it, they rebuked them. But Jesus called them unto him, and said, Suffer little children to come unto me, and forbid them not: for of such is the kingdom of God. Verily I say unto you, Whosoever shall not receive the kingdom of God as a little child shall in no wise enter therein.

Somewhere along the line we all strayed. Can we find out where we went wrong? Blaming Adam and Eve for it doesn't work. Saying the devil made me do it also doesn't work.

How could we regret and confess our sins unless there was a "good part" of us that wanted to be good? Find that -- it is like a piece of money you find in a field of dirt.