Handwriting Of Ordinances

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

soul man

Jan 6, 2018
Fletcher
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
But Adam's sin was not imputed to anyone, and neither is anyone else held responsible for our sins.

No not imputed at all, accept for seperation for eternity, oh did I forget to mention turning the world into kaos and sending the masses to hell, but no problem no imputed sin

D

Dave L

Well, I wouldn't agree that the church is Israel. I think we have had this discussion before.
Consider this if you haven't already.

Paul says Jesus is Abraham's seed, not the unbelieving Jews Galatians 3:16. Matthew's use of Hosea reveals that Jesus IS Israel.

“When Israel was a child, then I loved him, And called my son out of Egypt.” (Hosea 11:1)

“Then he [Joseph] got up, took the child and his mother during the night, and went to Egypt. He stayed there until Herod died. In this way what was spoken by the Lord through the prophet was fulfilled: “I called my Son out of Egypt.”” (Matthew 2:14–15)

Episkopos

May 17, 2011
Montreal
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Colossians 2:14

14 Blotting out the handwriting of ordinances that was against us, which was contrary to us, and took it out of the way, nailing it to his cross;

If you still follow the " handwriting of ordinances" and fall over yourself to keep the law and be a good Moses gospel expositor, then you are missing the greatest life ever to be lived.
When Jesus Christ laid His dead head on His dead shoulders, you died (all in Adam dead, right then, right now). One of the harshest and most wonderful acts of God at the same time took place.
And Christians should not take it lightly, a very high price was payed for you to espouse your message of separation.

There is no separation for the born again believer. There is shortcomings, sins of the flesh, and what not, but you will be hard pressed to find separation of the believer and Christ in you. Only in mind can they seperate you by there gospel of correction.
You are complete in Him, I thank God for His word or we would all be lost according to the popular message of separation.
What was the "handwriting of ordinances" it is the restoration of Adam, it is trying to fix up the old nature, the Adamic nature keeping it in check.
Which was glorious for that day, it was all they had to have a relationship with God. But in our day it is no longer the gospel of Moses to restore Adam but it is the age of the cross.
Church needs to quit trying to revive Adam, we are no longer tied to Adam. What is needed most of all for the believer is a renewed mind.
We have a different message, we have a new gospel not a restored gospel, it is the gospel of the Lord Jesus Christ as your only life, Gal. Chapter 1.

1 Paul, an apostle, (not of men, neither by man, but by Jesus Christ, and God the Father, who raised him from the deadView attachment 5234

2 And all the brethren which are with me, unto the churches of Galatia:

3 Grace be to you and peace from God the Father, and from our Lord Jesus Christ,

4 Who gave himself for our sins, that he might deliver us from this present evil world, according to the will of God and our Father:

5 To whom be glory for ever and ever. Amen.

6 I marvel that ye are so soon removed from him that called you into the grace of Christ unto another gospel:

7 Which is not another; but there be some that trouble you, and would pervert the gospel of Christ.

8 But though we, or an angel from heaven, preach any other gospel unto you than that which we have preached unto you, let him be accursed.

9 As we said before, so say I now again, if any man preach any other gospel unto you than that ye have received, let him be accursed.

10 For do I now persuade men, or God? or do I seek to please men? for if I yet pleased men, I should not be the servant of Christ.

11 But I certify you, brethren, that the gospel which was preached of me is not after man.

12 For I neither received it of man, neither was I taught it, but by the revelation of Jesus Christ.

13 For ye have heard of my conversation in time past in the Jews' religion, how that beyond measure I persecuted the church of God, and wasted it:

14 And profited in the Jews' religion above many my equals in mine own nation, being more exceedingly zealous of the traditions of my fathers.

15 But when it pleased God, who separated me from my mother's womb, and called me by his grace,

16 To reveal his Son in me, that I might preach him among the heathen; immediately I conferred not with flesh and blood:

17 Neither went I up to Jerusalem to them which were apostles before me; but I went into Arabia, and returned again unto Damascus.

18 Then after three years I went up to Jerusalem to see Peter, and abode with him fifteen days.

19 But other of the apostles saw I none, save James the Lord's brother.

20 Now the things which I write unto you, behold, before God, I lie not.

21 Afterwards I came into the regions of Syria and Cilicia;

22 And was unknown by face unto the churches of Judaea which were in Christ:

23 But they had heard only, That he which persecuted us in times past now preacheth the faith which once he destroyed.

24 And they glorified God in me.

First...Jesus died for the sins of the whole world...not just Christians.

1 John 2:2 And he is the propitiation for our sins: and not for ours only, but also for the sins of the whole world.
3 And hereby we do know that we know him, if we keep his commandments.

A Christian believer is called to a higher place of obedience. We will all be judged on our obedience. A lack of obedience is a lack of faith...and therefore a lack of truly being a believer.

Second...Jesus was raised to give us a life that overcomes the world. We are to walk in that resurrection life by going to the cross of Christ.

Rom. 4:25 He was delivered over to death for our trespasses and was raised to life for our justification.

All people have access to Christ....but it is only as we abide in Christ...in His life...that we have justification with God. Jesus died for all men... but He was raised for believers to receive grace to follow Him.

For believers...we are no longer under the law...meaning that we no longer have a list of things we must try to do in our own strength. The walk is by faith so as to enter into His life. If we are dead in Christ...then there is no law on us. If we are raised together with Christ then there is no sin in us....we having died to what we once were in order to serve the living God in holiness. Our obedience then is to love as He loves.

Reactions: soul man

charity

Nov 26, 2017
UK
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Yes Enoch, I believe the ten commandments are still in effect for all mankind.
All Mosaic laws are an expansion of the decalogue as can be shown in the book of Deuteronomy.
Ceremonial and ritual cleansing has been accomplished on our behalf by Jesus in His life and death.
Hello @Anthony D'Arienzo,

Would you please clarify something for me? You said to @Enoch, 'I believe the ten commandments are still in effect for all mankind': you are not saying that the keeping of the commandments is a requirement for righteousness are you? For the commandments were given as part of the covenant made by God with Israel, and for them the keeping of them was part of that covenant, and they were obliged to observe them. Gentiles were never under that covenant, or that law though were they? So I do not understand why you say that:- the 10 commandments are still in effect for all mankind. For they were not given to all mankind.

Thank you.
In Christ Jesus
Chris

Last edited:

Anthony D'Arienzo

Jan 3, 2019
georgia
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
[Would you please clarify something for me? You said to @Enoch, 'I believe the ten commandments are still in effect for all mankind': you are not saying that the keeping of the commandments is a requirement for righteousness are you? For the commandments were given as part of the covenant made by God with Israel, and for them the keeping of them was part of that covenant, and they were obliged to observe them. Gentiles were never under that covenant, or that law though were they? So I do not understand why you say that:- the 10 commandments are still in effect for all mankind. For they were not given to all mankind.]

Thank you.
In Christ Jesus
Chris[/QUOTE]
Hello Chris,
I will answer in more detail in about one hour but for now I will give a basic response. The Ten Commandments are for all of mankind, in that they are in bedded in our consciences despite man's fall into sin and death. Romans 2:11-16.
Sin is a transgression of the law.
All sinned in Adam, all sin by experience.
God did write them in stone at Sinai, but that is not when they originated.

Last edited:

CoreIssue

Oct 15, 2018
USA
christiantalkzone.net
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Would you please clarify something for me? You said to @Enoch, 'I believe the ten commandments are still in effect for all mankind': you are not saying that the keeping of the commandments is a requirement for righteousness are you? For the commandments were given as part of the covenant made by God with Israel, and for them the keeping of them was part of that covenant, and they were obliged to observe them. Gentiles were never under that covenant, or that law though were they? So I do not understand why you say that:- the 10 commandments are still in effect for all mankind. For they were not given to all mankind.

Thank you.
In Christ Jesus
Chris
Hello Chris,
I will answer in more detail in about one hour but for now I will give a basic response. The Ten Commandments are for all of mankind, in that they are in bedded in our consciences despite man's fall into sin and death. Romans 2:11-16.
Sin is a transgression of the law.
All sinned in Adam, all sin by experience.
God did write them in stone st Sinai, but that is not when they originated.[/QUOTE]

The 10 Commandments are still in force but they are not law. They were given separately from law. They are on stone tablets but the law was written on parchment, meaning it was perishable, which it did.

Compare the 10 Commandments to the preamble of the Constitution. Both play a vital role without being part of the law or constitution.

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
Hello @Anthony D'Arienzo,

Thank you.
In Christ Jesus
Chris
There is also the matter of the Sabbath provisions not being extended into the New Testament order of things, since the Resurrection is the fulfillment of the Feast of Firstfruits.

Reactions: Dave L

Anthony D'Arienzo

Jan 3, 2019
georgia
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
CoreIssue,

[The 10 Commandments are still in force but they are not law. They were given separately from law. They are on stone tablets but the law was written on parchment, meaning it was perishable, which it did.

Compare the 10 Commandments to the preamble of the Constitution. Both play a vital role without being part of the law or constitution.]

I do not agree. The 10 commandments are still in full effect.see post 38

Last edited:

CoreIssue

Oct 15, 2018
USA
christiantalkzone.net
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
CoreIssue,

[The 10 Commandments are still in force but they are not law. They were given separately from law. They are on stone tablets but the law was written on parchment, meaning it was perishable, which it did.

Compare the 10 Commandments to the preamble of the Constitution. Both play a vital role without being part of the law or constitution.]

I do not agree. The 10 commandments are still in full effect.

But note it does not qualify how or where we are to gather. Are we not gathered here?

Anthony D'Arienzo

Jan 3, 2019
georgia
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
charity,
Here is the fuller response, taken from A Baptist Catechism with Commentary, by W.R. Downing,used by permission;

Ans: God has given his Moral Law to reveal his righteous character, reveal his standard for man, expose sin and lead sinners to Christ for salvation. Deut. 6:4–5. 4Hear, O Israel: The LORD our God is one LORD: 5And thou shalt love the LORD thy God with all thine heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy might. Gal. 3:24. Wherefore the law was our schoolmaster to bring us unto Christ, that we might be justified by faith. See also: Ex. 20:1–17; Matt. 22:36–40; Rom. 7:7–14; 1 Tim. 1:5–11.

COMMENTARY The term “law” is used in Scripture in several different ways. Care must be taken to make the proper distinctions within the given context.

Mark the following uses in Scripture:

the entirety of the Word of God (1 Jn. 2:3–4; 3:4).

The entire Old Testament (Matt. 5:17–18; Rom. 2:17–20; Heb. 10:1).

The Five Books of Moses, or the Pentateuch (Lk. 24:44; Rom. 3:21).

The whole Mosaic legislation.

Human law or custom (Rom. 7:1–3).

Various principles or powers of operation that exist in the created spiritual or moral order of things (Rom. 3:27; 7:21–23; 8:1–3).

The Ten Commandments (Ex. 20:1–17). The Moral Law is epitomized in the Decalogue or Ten Commandments, and answers to the law ontologically embedded in man’s nature at creation as the image–bearer of God (Rom. 2:11–16). The Moral Law was neither formulated nor instituted at Sinai; rather, it was codified and epitomized at Sinai in the Decalogue. The Moral Law expresses the moral self–consistency or absolute righteous character of the triune God. The Moral Law was codified as part of the progressively–revealed redemptive purpose (Rom. 5:20–21).

[All post–Fall Divine revelation is essentially redemptive in nature]. The Moral Law was revealed to Moses and given to Israel in a codified and epitomized or summary form. Israel, as the covenant people of God, formed the repository of the Divinely revealed and codified Moral Law until the gospel took the true knowledge of God and his moral self–consistency to all the nations of the earth.

What is the purpose of the law for the unbeliever? First, it is revelatory. The Law gives the proper recognition of God. It is primarily a revelation of the Divine nature and character. It is particularly a transcript of the perfect righteousness or moral self–consistency of God and what God requires of man (Ex. 20:1–17; Eccl. 12:13–14; Matt. 22:35–40).

Second, The Law was meant to bring a restraint upon sin (Rom. 2:14–16; 7:7).

Third, The Law also aggravates the unregenerate mind or heart and causes it to both rebel against the commands of God and to lust after that which is forbidden (Rom. 7:7–13).

Fourth, it is the God–ordained medium of conviction of sin (Rom. 3:19–20; 5:20; 7:7–13; 1 Cor. 15:56; Gal. 3:24; 1 Tim. 1:8–11).

Finally, it is designed to lead the sinner to Christ (Gal. 3:23–24). [Note that the Gk. perfect tense in Gal. 3:24 ought to be translated “The law was and continues to be our schoolmaster to lead us to Christ…”].
A Catechism on Bible Doctrine by W. R. Downing (Paperback) — Lulu CA

Last edited:

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Gentiles were never under that covenant, or that law though were they? So I do not understand why you say that:- the 10 commandments are still in effect for all mankind. For they were not given to all mankind.
The Ten Commandments were given to all men (including Gentiles) through (1) the conscience and (2) the Bible. In the Old Covenant they were written on tablets of stone, but in the New Covenant they are written on hearts and minds of the regenerated by the Spirit. Thus they are incorporated into the Law of Christ.

Reactions: Anthony D'Arienzo

charity

Nov 26, 2017
UK
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
@Anthony D'Arienzo (#33/#38)
@farouk (#35)
@Enoch111 (#39)

Hello there,
Though I have no comment to make at present, I thank you for responding to my entry (#32) and sharing your thoughts. Anthony D'Arienzo particularly for the detailed response he gave. I will take time to consider the points raised, and the references given.

Thank you.
In Christ Jesus
Chris