Has anyone changed their mind...?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Marymog

Mar 7, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
By understanding HOW to fulfill Jesus' command.

Water Baptism is a scheduled event.
It allows that person to become a member of that Church. The congregation becomes the witnesses of the person being Baptized in water and becoming a member of their Church.

A scheduled Water Baptism, IF one Chooses to become a member of that particular church...DOES SO AFTER having accepted an "alter call" to move forward to the alter, before witnesses of a Congregation, to Confess their Belief In God, In Christ Jesus.
Their choosing to CONFESS, IS the time they become Baptized in the HOLY SPIRIT, BY the Power of the Holy Spirit, Because of their Confession.

If they also choose to become A Member of that Church, they schedule a Water Baptism. It is a ceremony of the Person Having been Baptized with the Holy Spirit, becoming a Church member.

I believe men are taught to confess thee Lord God, before men. But I do not believe a Confession before men IS REQUIRED to become Converted.
As if a person alone, dying, and confesses to the Lord God....and the Lord would say...uh hold that thought until the public shows up.

Moreso it seems to me, People who are not Protestants sometimes think they are the authority on Protestants.

Jesus' teaching.

Clearly Water was used by Priests to "purify" themselves before entering the Temple.

Clearly that was temporary.

Clearly men brought Sin offerings (animals), to be sacrificed to receive forgiveness of sins.

Clearly that was a temporary forgiveness, as it was a yearly event.

Clearly the Jerusalem Temple was the ONLY Temple sanctioned for Animal Sacrifices and forgiveness of sin.

Clearly that Temple stands no more.

Clearly Animal sacrifices, for forgiveness of sin have been haulted.

Clearly water Baptism is John's Baptism.

Clearly John's Baptism with Water BECAME a new Method for men to receive forgiveness of Sin.

Clearly John's Water Baptism was temporary.

Clearly Jesus offered a Permanent Baptism of the Holy Spirit.

CLearly a permanent Baptism requires a Confession of the Indiviudal to the Lord, and the Lord has given His Word to Baptize the Individuals who give a true heartfelt confession.

Clearly the Apostles teaching of Christ, is purposed for men to Hear and Choose for themselves to become Converted and receive the Baptism of the Holy Sprit by the Lord God Himself.

Glory to God,
Taken
Baptism isn't for becoming a member of that particular church......That is complete and utter nonsense and is NOT based on Scripture.

Marymog

Mar 7, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Curious Mary, don't be contrary. You presumed that "through" was changing Scripture. And I showed you that it is exactly what is in Scripture (originally and lately). I will still continue using the KJV.
You will still use the KJV when it fits what YOU believe.....Fascinating!!! :rolleyes:

Taken

Staff member
Encounter Team
Feb 6, 2018
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Baptism isn't for becoming a member of that particular church......That is complete and utter nonsense and is NOT based on Scripture.

Who said anything about my comment being based in Scripture? I didn't.

I was specifically speaking of a man-made Church and man-man rules...of HOW a person BECOMES a MEMBER of a Protestant Church.

Doesn't really matter if you agree or not.

You can do your own research of Protestant Churches and FIND the answer of what is required to become a Church MEMBER.

I know you are Catholic, so what is your requirement to become a Member of a Catholic Church...announce you were born Catholic?

Glory to God,
Taken

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yes, thru grace and the promise of Jesus. There is no indication in Scripture that the thief on the cross was a Christian yet Jesus assures him that he is saved and even promises that he will go to heaven that very day. FURTHERMORE, Whether or not the thief had been baptized is unknown sooooo you are only PRESUMING he was not baptized.

Just last February you said you "love the KJV" and in August of last year you said "I tend to the KJV". Do you not love or tend to the KJV now?

Curious and Bible Study Mary

Yes, I love the KJV because that is what I started with and it is easier to remember scripture and that is why I TEND to use it more than others.
Ya know, life is too short and I have run out of tolerance with people like yourself. You have never had a kind word for anybody here so, good bye and I wish you well. Goodbye.

Reactions: Helen and Taken

Taken

Staff member
Encounter Team
Feb 6, 2018
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yes, I love the KJV because that is what I started with and it is easier to remember scripture and that is why I TEND to use it more than others.

You mean you prefer the KJV over ALL the Catholic Approved revisions?

Ya, me too.

DRB Douay-Rheims Bible 1582, 1609, 16101
DRC Douay-Rheims Bible Challoner Revision 1749-1752
WVSS Westminster Version of the Sacred Scripture[7] 1913–19352
SPC Spencer New Testament[8] 1941
CCD Confraternity Bible 19413
Knox Knox Bible 1950
KLNT KleistLillyNew Testament 19564
RSV–CE Revised Standard Version Catholic Edition 1965–66
JB Jerusalem Bible 1966
NAB New American Bible 1970
TLB–CE The Living Bible Catholic Edition 1971
NJB New Jerusalem Bible 1985
CCB Christian Community Bible 1988
NRSV–CE New Revised Standard Version Catholic Edition 1991
GNT–CE Good News Translation Catholic Edition5 1993
RSV–2CE Revised Standard Version, Second Catholic Edition 2006
CTS–NCB CTS New Catholic Bible 20076
NABRE New American Bible Revised Edition 2011/1986 (OT/NT)
NLT-CE New Living Translation Catholic Edition[9] 2017
ESV-CE English Standard Version Catholic Edition[10] 2018
RNJB Revised New Jerusalem Bible[11]

God Bless,
Taken

Reactions: Helen and Nancy

Marymog

Mar 7, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Who said anything about my comment being based in Scripture? I didn't.

I was specifically speaking of a man-made Church and man-man rules...of HOW a person BECOMES a MEMBER of a Protestant Church.

Doesn't really matter if you agree or not.

You can do your own research of Protestant Churches and FIND the answer of what is required to become a Church MEMBER.

I know you are Catholic, so what is your requirement to become a Member of a Catholic Church...announce you were born Catholic?

Glory to God,
Taken
Ummm....I really don’t know what to say.

Scripture says to become a Christian one must believe AND be baptized. What in the world are you talking about when you equate baptism to being a “man-made Church rule”??????

Baptism isn’t about become a “Church member”. It’s about becomeing a Christian......I feel like you are joking but sadly I think you are being serious.

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Baptism isn’t about become a “Church member”. It’s about becomeing a Christian......I feel like you are joking but sadly I think you are being serious.

Mary, maybe you have no idea of how frustrating writing to you is.
Im sure we all just presume that you do it just to annoy.
One by one many have tried, but you just wiggle around in your posts.
Then people get tired and give up.

I have to disagree with your statement that I made bold.

Baptism does NOT make us a Christian , we don't 'become one' when we are baptised. I am one who did feel to get baptised. But I know very many christians who are not baptised and are true followers of the Lord.

It is not a requirement for salvation despite you trotting out all your usual pet verses...which have been discussed over many times by you and others... ad nauseam.

Marymog

Mar 7, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Ya know, life is too short and I have run out of tolerance with people like yourself. You have never had a kind word for anybody here so, good bye and I wish you well. Goodbye.
Thank you Nancy.

YOU pointed out via a question to me the thief on the cross was not baptized but still saved. I simply responded by giving an alternative theory.

Am I not allowed to respond to your QUESTION?

YOU in the past had praise for the KJV. NOW that there is a passage from it that you DON’T like you want to disregard it. I simply pointed that out.

Am I not allowed to point out what appears to be a contradiction on your part? Does that make me a mean person?

Mary

Marymog

Mar 7, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Mary, maybe you have no idea of how frustrating writing to you is.
Im sure we all just presume that you do it just to annoy.
One by one many have tried, but you just wiggle around in your posts.
Then people get tired and give up.

I have to disagree with your statement that I made bold.

Baptism does NOT make us a Christian , we don't 'become one' when we are baptised. I am one who did feel to get baptised. But I know very many christians who are not baptised and are true followers of the Lord.

It is not a requirement for salvation despite you trotting out all your usual pet verses...which have been discussed over many times by you and others... ad nauseam.
Thank you BG.

Hmmmmmm......I verbalize my beliefs and doctrines and that makes me annoying but whey you or anyone else on here verbalize their beliefs or doctrines they are .........What?

Please give me ONE example of a post I have wiggled around?

Since you do not believe one has to be baptized to become a Christian explain how one gets around Matthew 28:19? I asked you this previously however thus far you have ignored that question along with several of my other posts. Why have you ignored some of my previous post?

I get it.....you and your ilk don’t believe baptism is not a requirement for salvation. You point out your pet verses to prove your point....I point out mine. Nothing wrong with that.

Not using any pet verses....Please tell me......Why do you and your ilk accept the 500 year teaching of the Reformers and reject the well documented 2,000 year teaching of 1st and 2nd century Christians?

Curious Mary

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Why have you ignored some of my previous post?

I get it.....you and your ilk don’t believe baptism is not a requirement for salvation.

Here we go again.
I usually ignore your posts because any posting with you just goes in round and round in circles.

I don't "get around" anything. I believe what I believe.
I don't find conflict in scripture as you seem to do.

Of corse baptism is not a requirement for salvation. Faith in Jesus Christ IS...

But no sweat with me, you are free to believe what you believe.
Yet it seems that what others believe annoys you !!

Have faith in God.

Reactions: Nancy

Marymog

Mar 7, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Here we go again.
I usually ignore your posts because any posting with you just goes in round and round in circles.

I don't "get around" anything. I believe what I believe.
I don't find conflict in scripture as you seem to do.

Of corse baptism is not a requirement for salvation. Faith in Jesus Christ IS...

But no sweat with me, you are free to believe what you believe.
Yet it seems that what others believe annoys you !!

Have faith in God.
LOL.....well by PARTIALLY quoting me you got around my Matthew 28:19 question....for the SECOND time AND you got around explaining why you accept the 500 year teaching of the Reformers and not the 2,000 year teaching of men before the Reformers....:rolleyes:

Jesus gave us the commandment, Go and make disciples of all nations BAPTIZING them.....

Sooooo for one to be a disciple of Jesus we MUST follow his commandments and being BAPTIZED is one of His commandments.

Even if you don’t think baptism is necessary for salvation (even though scripture says baptism now saves you) it is necessary to obey Jesus sooooo it is nessary to be baptized to be His disciple.

It does annoy me when people believe opposite of what Scripture teaches. Does it annoy you? It should....

Mary

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
@Marymog

Im not trying to "get around" anything.
Bottom line, I just don't care enough.
I am not one that believe's that - If we don't do this , and if we don't do that, and if we do dot all the i's and we do cross the t's , we wont lose out salvation. (or get it , in the first place by doing or not doing )

Be happy in what you chose to believe, I am.

Marymog

Mar 7, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@Marymog

Im not trying to "get around" anything.
Bottom line, I just don't care enough.
I am not one that believe's that - If we don't do this , and if we don't do that, and if we do dot all the i's and we do cross the t's , we wont lose out salvation. (or get it , in the first place by doing or not doing )

Be happy in what you chose to believe, I am.
Thank you BG.....

It is not a matter of what I choose to believe. That is one of the problems of Christianity today. Everyone chooses what they want to believe which means Jesus prayer in John 17:21 will never be fulfilled and we will never be one (Romans 15) and we will all have different doctrines when scripture says to adhere to one doctrine. Each of us choosing what we want to believe is opposite of what Scripture teaches.

But this is one of those times I need to just accept you for what you believe and hope the best for you.

Sincerely Mary

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
It is not a matter of what I choose to believe.
When you chose to believe the teachings of the Catholic Church that was a choice. When you choose to believe Bible truth that too will be a choice. John Wycliffe was a faithful Catholic until he chose to believe what God said rather than what the RCC was teaching. And then they called him a stiff-necked heretic.

"The Council of Constance took cognizance of Wyclif as well as of Huss and declared the former (on May 4, 1415) a stiff-necked heretic and under the ban of the Church. It was decreed that his books be burned and his remains be exhumed. This last did not happen till twelve years afterward, when at the command of Martin V., they were dug up, burned, and the ashes cast into the Swift which flows through Lutterworth."
John Wycliffe Biography, Quotes, Beliefs and Facts

Marymog

Mar 7, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
When you chose to believe the teachings of the Catholic Church that was a choice. When you choose to believe Bible truth that too will be a choice. John Wycliffe was a faithful Catholic until he chose to believe what God said rather than what the RCC was teaching. And then they called him a stiff-necked heretic.

"The Council of Constance took cognizance of Wyclif as well as of Huss and declared the former (on May 4, 1415) a stiff-necked heretic and under the ban of the Church. It was decreed that his books be burned and his remains be exhumed. This last did not happen till twelve years afterward, when at the command of Martin V., they were dug up, burned, and the ashes cast into the Swift which flows through Lutterworth."
John Wycliffe Biography, Quotes, Beliefs and Facts
Your (a man) bible truth VS the CC (men) bible truth??? I choose the men of the CC. What makes your truth better or more believable than theirs?

Wycliffe had men that agreed with SOME of the things he taught and they disagreed with SOME of the other things that he taught. Sooooo was Wycliffe beliving what God said or did the men that reformed him REALLY believe what God taught?

Curious Mary

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
<snip> John 17:21 will never be fulfilled and we will never be one
<snip>

But this is one of those times I need to just accept you for what you believe and hope the best for you.

Sincerely Mary

I guess that is the trouble...ie you say "We will never be one" ..I say -
Which one? o_O

We all want people to be 'one' in the doctrine that we believe ..we all do!
We wouldn't believe what we believe, if we didn't believe it was the right thing to believe!

No one can 'make us' into something that we already ARE!!

My inner peace comes from believing what God says.
1 Cor 12:12
" For as the body IS one, and hath many members, and all the members of that one body, being many, are one body: so also is Christ.
13 For by one Spirit are we all baptized into one body, whether we be Jews or Gentiles, whether we be bond or free; and have been all made to drink into one Spirit.
14 For the body is not one member, but many.
15 If the foot shall say, Because I am not the hand, I am not of the body; is it therefore not of the body?
16 And if the ear shall say, Because I am not the eye, I am not of the body; is it therefore not of the body?
But now hath God set the members every one of them in the body, as it hath pleased him.
But now are they many members, yet but one body
."

It seem confusion comes when we refuse to accept that God made us all ONE in Christ. If we are "in Christ"..the bible says that we are one...

Take care....H

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Your (a man) bible truth VS the CC (men) bible truth???
Mary, do you own a Bible? Well just pick up and read it and ask God to show you the truth!

Don't make excuses about man vs man etc.

Taken

Staff member
Encounter Team
Feb 6, 2018
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Ummm....I really don’t know what to say.

Scripture says to become a Christian one must believe AND be baptized. What in the world are you talking about when you equate baptism to being a “man-made Church rule”??????

Are you unaware of Scripture speaking of TWO completely different BAPTISMS ?

Did you NOT comprehend my post # 178 spoke SPECIFICALLY of the TWO DIFFERENT Baptisms?

Try reading my post # 178 and see if it is not is CLEAR Language pertaining to each Specific Baptism...

Then read your Post # 181 of your comment so SOME "UNSPECIFIED" Baptism.

And again; THe Question you Omitted answering...

WHAT IS REQUIRED for a person to BECOME a Catholic?

Glory to God,
Taken

Marymog

Mar 7, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I guess that is the trouble...ie you say "We will never be one" ..I say -
Which one? o_O

We all want people to be 'one' in the doctrine that we believe ..we all do!
We wouldn't believe what we believe, if we didn't believe it was the right thing to believe!

No one can 'make us' into something that we already ARE!!

My inner peace comes from believing what God says.
1 Cor 12:12
" For as the body IS one, and hath many members, and all the members of that one body, being many, are one body: so also is Christ.
13 For by one Spirit are we all baptized into one body, whether we be Jews or Gentiles, whether we be bond or free; and have been all made to drink into one Spirit.
14 For the body is not one member, but many.
15 If the foot shall say, Because I am not the hand, I am not of the body; is it therefore not of the body?
16 And if the ear shall say, Because I am not the eye, I am not of the body; is it therefore not of the body?
But now hath God set the members every one of them in the body, as it hath pleased him.
But now are they many members, yet but one body
."

It seem confusion comes when we refuse to accept that God made us all ONE in Christ. If we are "in Christ"..the bible says that we are one...

Take care....H
Thank you for your thoughts.....I was planning to move on and "just accept you for what you believe and hope the best for you" however you said some things that concern me.

I find it interesting that you quoted and underlined the "baptize" section of that verse. Earlier you said you don't even believe that baptism is a requirement for salvation and Baptism does NOT make us a Christian. How can one be part of the body if they are not baptized into one body?

FYI.....My inner peace also comes from believing what God says:

If anyone advocates a different doctrine and does not agree with sound words, those of our Lord Jesus Christ, and with the doctrine conforming to godliness, he is conceited and understands nothing. For the time will come when they will not endure sound doctrine; but wanting to have their ears tickled, they will accumulate for themselves teachers in accordance to their own desires. Holding fast the faithful word as he hath been taught, that he may be able by sound doctrine both to exhort and to convince the gainsayers. All three of those passages suggest that there is "A" (singular) sound doctrine AND some will not endure to "IT" (singular) and they will have a different doctrine. Your belief that we can pick and choose what doctrine we personally believe is not based on "what God says".

Jesus said If you abide in My word, you are My disciples indeed. How can everyone having their own interpretation of His word make all of us His disciple? We are NOT all His disciples if we are abiding in what we personally believe His word is. His word is "sound doctrine" not pick and choose what I personally believe doctrine.

Mary