Have No Idea What To Title This!

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

stunnedbygrace

Aug 18, 2018
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Been wondering if we do some of the same wrong things concerning spiritual matters that we do with earthly matters and other people.

For instance, when we are too young to understand much, we have a perception (that could be right or could be flawed) and we make a determination and create a protection based on a severe lack of understanding, missing information and sometimes flawed perception.

We take all that into adulthood instead of altering it as we grow and learn and the result is dysfunction and mental and emotional unhealth.

I think…we might do this spiritually too…
But then we also mix in how people are and have been with us and we mix in what we see happening in our life when doing it and it becomes a mess where God starts to look like people (which is backwards) and we make determinations we don’t have the information to make.

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Been wondering if we do some of the same wrong things concerning spiritual matters that we do with earthly matters and other people.

For instance, when we are too young to understand much, we have a perception (that could be right or could be flawed) and we make a determination and create a protection based on a severe lack of understanding, missing information and sometimes flawed perception.

We take all that into adulthood instead of altering it as we grow and learn and the result is dysfunction and mental and emotional unhealth.

But then we also mix in how people are and have been with us and we mix in what we see happening in our life when doing it and it becomes a mess where God starts to look like people (which is backwards) and we make determinations we don’t have the information to make.
Deep thoughts, by Jen! :IDK: Never looked at our growth this way yet, it sure sounds plausible.
As a kid, it seems like a good idea to stick a fork into an electrical outlet and if anyone here has done that one time, pretty sure it was the last time! God allows us to reap what we sow regardless of our spiritual status placed in Him now. Pretention can get us into all sorts of trouble. I think this is where humility comes in also. Would you rather pretend you know all about something only to be made a fool of? Or will you back off and allow someone more experienced to educate rightly.
Spiritual babies as adults, can only imagine in my minds eye a bunch of adults in diapers and God working overtime to get them all in line, what a task!
Then we can go the other way and stagnate when we should" all be teachers by now". How can any Christian be content to stay where they are and not seek Him further?? They remain babies. I'm still a big fat baby in many ways of understanding the deeper things of God but it doesn't stop me from at least trying to understand, praying all the time for understanding.
Boy howdy, yeah we sure do take these things into adulthood and half the time do not even realize/see it. And I know nobody who enjoys being around a spoiled brat! Just like many of us here do not like those who act just like this. Bickering, name calling, throwing fits...gets nobody anywhere.
Good post Jen, I've other thoughts on this too but, already too long IMHO.

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

I think you're thinking about it too hard. Spirit matters are following feelings and using sound judgment and reasoning. Nothing more. The Holy Spirit provides us with those feelings thru the fruits of the Holy Spirit.

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I think you're thinking about it too hard. Spirit matters are following feelings and using sound judgment and reasoning. Nothing more. The Holy Spirit provides us with those feelings thru the fruits of the Holy Spirit.
Hi Devin,
I believe Stunned is simply comparing this physical life, growing and learning as we go along how to walk, talk and everything else. (correct me if I'm wrong here Stunned) Compare that with spiritual maturity...we get stuck in ruts in the physical as well as the spiritual, if we can barely mature as human beings, how can we mature spiritually?
There are some who are pretentious and to me, that is dishonest and will eventually be revealed. People (some) seem to put themselves on Gods very throne when speaking out of turn.
We NEVER stop growing, maturing as long as we abide in Jesus.
JMHO!

Reactions: stunnedbygrace

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hi Devin,
I believe Stunned is simply comparing this physical life, growing and learning as we go along how to walk, talk and everything else. (correct me if I'm wrong here Stunned) Compare that with spiritual maturity...we get stuck in ruts in the physical as well as the spiritual, if we can barely mature as human beings, how can we mature spiritually?
There are some who are pretentious and to me, that is dishonest and will eventually be revealed. People (some) seem to put themselves on Gods very throne when speaking out of turn.
We NEVER stop growing, maturing as long as we abide in Jesus.
JMHO!
I'm not sure I'm following you on that. God is eternal and so is his spirit. He needs no maturity. And if we are in his spirit we need no maturity as well. We borrow from God. And we are children following the spirit. And his grace is sufficient. We make mistakes at times and he leads us out of them.

We can become wise in the things of the Lord if we humble ourselves and he blesses us with the spiritual gift of wisdom. Likewise knowledgable. Both are gifts of the Holy Spirit. But not everyone has those gifts.

Last edited:

stunnedbygrace

Aug 18, 2018
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

This seems to have become your stock answer to me, that I think too hard about everything. Lol.

• Haha
Reactions: Nancy

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
This seems to have become your stock answer to me, that I think too hard about everything. Lol.
I've noticed that you don't listen to pretty much anything I explain. So I guess we both have stock answers. I'm not going to waste anymore effort then.

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I'm not sure I'm following you on that. God is eternal and so is his spirit. He needs no maturity. And if we are in his spirit we need no maturity as well. We borrow from God. And we are children following the spirit. And his grace is sufficient. We make mistakes at times and he leads us out of them.

We can become wise in the things of the Lord if we humble ourselves and he blesses us with the spiritual gift of wisdom. Likewise knowledgable. Both are gifts of the Holy Spirit. But not everyone has those gifts.

"I'm not sure I'm following you on that. I'm sorry, not sure how else to put it.
God is eternal and so is his spirit. He needs no maturity. Never intoned He ever "needed maturity" He's God!

And if we are in his spirit we need no maturity as well. Not every Christian matures at the same rate. And, some start out well but become content in knowing only so much and go no further in maturing to the full stature of Christ.
We borrow from God. And we are children following the spirit. And his grace is sufficient. We make mistakes at times and he leads us out of them."

"We can become wise in the things of the Lord if we humble ourselves and he blesses us with the spiritual gift of wisdom. Yes, agreed.

Likewise knowledgable. Both are gifts of the Holy Spirit. But not everyone has those gifts."
No not everyone does have these specific gifts, not all are called to be teachers or pastors, so on. Yet, we can derive knowledge through His written word.

Proverbs 1:7

"The fear of the Lord is the beginning of knowledge; fools despise wisdom and instruction."

Proverbs 2:6 ESV / 6 helpful votes Helpful Not Helpful​

"For the Lord gives wisdom; from his mouth come knowledge and understanding;"

quietthinker

May 4, 2018
FNQ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia

You've hit a nail on the head re this matter sbg. We consider our paradigms sacrosanct and consign those who disagree with us of the devil and to the flames, quoting/dribbling on with selective chapter and verse while making a big song and dance about the Bible as if we have a direct/uninterupted line to wisdom. That's about as childish (immature) as one can get.

Has it not occurred to folk that they can have smoothest, fastest and best vehicle yet easily smash into a tree?

So the question is, what is a secure/sure/immovable reference point which becomes our compass to evaluate any point of view?....and, how do we use/apply it?

Dropship

Jun 2, 2022
Plymouth UK
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
We've all said and done things in the past that we now regret, but I suppose remorse is a good sign because it shows we've developed morally and spiritually into better people since then..:)
But if people don't regret their past mistakes they're stuck in limbo because their development is at a standstill.

Reactions: thelord's_pearl

thelord's_pearl

May 1, 2021
O`nowhere you have to know
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
You've hit a nail on the head re this matter sbg. We consider our paradigms sacrosanct and consign those who disagree with us of the devil and to the flames, quoting/dribbling on with selective chapter and verse while making a big song and dance about the Bible as if we have a direct/uninterupted line to wisdom. That's about as childish (immature) as one can get.

Has it not occurred to folk that they can have smoothest, fastest and best vehicle yet easily smash into a tree?

So the question is, what is a secure/sure/immovable reference point which becomes our compass to evaluate any point of view?....and, how do we use/apply it?
by knowing that when the Holy Spirit prompts us not to do something, we shouldn't do it and we should trust it because it's from God and it means there's something wrong with it that God can see but we might not be able to see it. I hope that helps, quietthinker. You've got to fight the good fight and have "discernment". That's what I've learned about fighting with the devil. xox