How to Study the Word of God

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

JohnD

Jan 24, 2024
Southwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
2 Peter 1:20–21 (KJV)

20 Knowing this first, that no prophecy of the scripture is of any private interpretation.

21 For the prophecy came not in old time by the will of man: but holy men of God spake as they were moved by the Holy Ghost.

On the surface this appears to be only about prophecy. When in fact, the entire Bible is prophetic in that it came by the method described in verse 21. The Holy Spirit wrote the Bible, the Holy Spirit interprets the Bible. Not man. And we are to know this first.

Few know or practice this.

And that’s why there are so many (false) interpretations in the world.

Secondly:

1 John 4:1 (KJV)

1 Beloved, believe not every spirit, but try the spirits whether they are of God: because many false prophets are gone out into the world.

Test the spirits because we human beings are gullible and what we think might be the Holy Spirit informing us may not be him at all.

Also 1 Thessalonians 5:21 tells us to prove all things because God gives us evidence and does not want us to be chumps putting blind faith into practice. There are times when we must trust God when the answers are not available at the time. But Christianity is about facts and accepting them as truth.

Test all things especially the spirits / biblical interpretation by the Bible itself:

Acts 17:11 (KJV)

11 These were more noble than those in Thessalonica, in that they received the word with all readiness of mind, and searched the scriptures daily, whether those things were so.

2 Peter 1:20–21 says we are to know this first because the truth is derailed from the start if we do not seek God as the Source of truth and as our approach to his Word.

Man may sound accurate, but the flaws in his interpretation compound exponentially. Think of a ship at sea whose course is generally in the right direction but it is off a degree or two. Eventually this error will destine the ship to the wrong port entirely.

Proverbs 14:12 / 16:25 (KJV)

12 There is a way which seemeth right unto a man, but the end thereof are the ways of death.

There is more to scripture than meets the human eye:

Proverbs 25:2 (KJV)

2 It is the glory of God to conceal a thing: but the honour of kings is to search out a matter.

Deuteronomy 29:29 (KJV)

29 The secret things belong unto the LORD our God: but those things which are revealed belong unto us and to our children for ever, that we may do all the words of this law.

Isaiah 28:9–13 (KJV)

9 Whom shall he teach knowledge? and whom shall he make to understand doctrine? them that are weaned from the milk, and drawn from the breasts.

10 For precept must be upon precept, precept upon precept; line upon line, line upon line; here a little, and there a little:

11 For with stammering lips and another tongue will he speak to this people.

12 To whom he said, This is the rest wherewith ye may cause the weary to rest; and this is the refreshing: yet they would not hear.

13 But the word of the LORD was unto them precept upon precept, precept upon precept; line upon line, line upon line; here a little, and there a little; that they might go, and fall backward, and be broken, and snared, and taken.

Pray the Holy Spirit opens the Word of God and read / study it with a passion.

Ritajanice

Staff member
Encounter Team
Mar 9, 2023
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
The Holy Spirit wrote the Bible, the Holy Spirit interprets the Bible. Not man. And we are to know this first.

I agree 100% ...without the Spirit we are none of His...and only he can open up Gods word to our spirit and bring Gods word to our understanding...as it’s spoken in Spirit and not the flesh.

We have that Living relationship with God via his Spirit..once we become Born Again..it can take yrs and yrs for the Holy Spirit to bring us to heart revelation in understanding Gods word.

Reactions: Debp and JohnD

JohnD

Jan 24, 2024
Southwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
What makes you think that? I've come across a great many people who believe the Holy Spirit wrote and interprets the Bible for us.

You I suppose are one of the few?

Much love!
I suppose I should have been more clear that it is not generally known that God leads with this point (know this first).

I believe if we took a poll as to how many knows what God requires us to know first my claim would find support.

Love in Christ!

JohnDB

Feb 7, 2010
TN
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Oh....
I guess I need my Holy Spirit Glasses put on before I read the scriptures....

Available for $239.95 when I give a sizable donation to the Holy Roller Full Gospel Church of Apostolic Bereans.

OR

I could use inductive study methods AFTER reading the instructions of how my particular Bible was translated and what all those notations mean....
And then read about the Author, purpose, time of writing, themes to watch for, and audience of the book.
Then look at anthropology studies to see about how the people lived.

Maybe even history books to see what was going on in the world in that place and time.

Then begin to look at original languages to get a clearer understanding of what was written and why it was written in the way it was written.
And finally read translators notes as to things that are unique to the authors style of writing and other writings that the author would be obviously referencing to a recipient reading this letter. Sometimes that would include noted scholars writing commentaries like Westcott or Eadie....Lightfoot too perhaps instead of the television preachers of today.

And then finally look at an almanac to gain an understanding of the geography and topography and weather of the audience of the letter/Book.

Or....

Maybe I could just take a nap with my head on the Bible and then let the Holy Spirit use osmosis to let the knowledge in.....yeah....let's do it that way.

Reactions: marks

Bob Estey

Aug 18, 2021
Sparks, Nevada
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

20 Knowing this first, that no prophecy of the scripture is of any private interpretation.

21 For the prophecy came not in old time by the will of man: but holy men of God spake as they were moved by the Holy Ghost.

On the surface this appears to be only about prophecy. When in fact, the entire Bible is prophetic in that it came by the method described in verse 21. The Holy Spirit wrote the Bible, the Holy Spirit interprets the Bible. Not man. And we are to know this first.

And that’s why there are so many (false) interpretations in the world.

Secondly:

1 John 4:1 (KJV)

1 Beloved, believe not every spirit, but try the spirits whether they are of God: because many false prophets are gone out into the world.

Test the spirits because we human beings are gullible and what we think might be the Holy Spirit informing us may not be him at all.

Also 1 Thessalonians 5:21 tells us to prove all things because God gives us evidence and does not want us to be chumps putting blind faith into practice. There are times when we must trust God when the answers are not available at the time. But Christianity is about facts and accepting them as truth.

Test all things especially the spirits / biblical interpretation by the Bible itself:

Acts 17:11 (KJV)

11 These were more noble than those in Thessalonica, in that they received the word with all readiness of mind, and searched the scriptures daily, whether those things were so.

2 Peter 1:20–21 says we are to know this first because the truth is derailed from the start if we do not seek God as the Source of truth and as our approach to his Word.

Man may sound accurate, but the flaws in his interpretation compound exponentially. Think of a ship at sea whose course is generally in the right direction but it is off a degree or two. Eventually this error will destine the ship to the wrong port entirely.

Proverbs 14:12 / 16:25 (KJV)

12 There is a way which seemeth right unto a man, but the end thereof are the ways of death.

There is more to scripture than meets the human eye:

Proverbs 25:2 (KJV)

2 It is the glory of God to conceal a thing: but the honour of kings is to search out a matter.

Deuteronomy 29:29 (KJV)

29 The secret things belong unto the LORD our God: but those things which are revealed belong unto us and to our children for ever, that we may do all the words of this law.

Isaiah 28:9–13 (KJV)

9 Whom shall he teach knowledge? and whom shall he make to understand doctrine? them that are weaned from the milk, and drawn from the breasts.

10 For precept must be upon precept, precept upon precept; line upon line, line upon line; here a little, and there a little:

11 For with stammering lips and another tongue will he speak to this people.

12 To whom he said, This is the rest wherewith ye may cause the weary to rest; and this is the refreshing: yet they would not hear.

13 But the word of the LORD was unto them precept upon precept, precept upon precept; line upon line, line upon line; here a little, and there a little; that they might go, and fall backward, and be broken, and snared, and taken.

Pray the Holy Spirit opens the Word of God and read / study it with a passion.
If I wanted to study the Word of God, I think first I'd read the entire Bible to understand its context (which I've done). Then I'd focus on the words of God and Jesus. That isn't to say the rest of the Bible doesn't provide valuable information.

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I suppose I should have been more clear that it is not generally known that God leads with this point (know this first).

I believe if we took a poll as to how many knows what God requires us to know first my claim would find support.

Love in Christ!
I don't understand what you are saying here.

Much love!

12question

Dec 9, 2023
Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Maybe I could just take a nap with my head on the Bible and then let the Holy Spirit use osmosis to let the knowledge in.....yeah....let's do it that way.
That's funny
I like the method of kicking the bible out of my bed and having a nap with the Holy Spirit and use osmosis to receive whatever dreams He wants me to receive direct truth through.

Reactions: JohnDB

Ritajanice

Staff member
Encounter Team
Mar 9, 2023
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
What do you mean by 'heart revelation'. Not sure if I've ever heard that term before. Sounds intriguing.
Only God can speak to our hearts/ spirit...his word and only his word can penetrate my heart.....as he speaks to us via the Holy Spirit....because we have been Born Of The Spirit.

That’s how it is for me....and when he and he only speaks....we best take note!!.

Hebrews 4:12 - For the word of God is quick, and powerful, and sharper than any twoedged sword, piercing even to the dividing asunder of soul and spirit, and of the joints and marrow, and is a discerner of the thoughts and intents of the heart.

Reactions: Debp

12question

Dec 9, 2023
Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
A
Only God can speak to our hearts/ spirit...his word and only his word can penetrate my heart.....as he speaks to us via the Holy Spirit....because we have been Born Of The Spirit.
I think you're saying that Jesus the Word of God made flesh Who once lived down here on earth, now at Father's right receives truth from His Father (all that the Father has is Mine) gives it to His Spirit Who has the task of downloading into our heart (He, the Spirit of Truth will take from what is Mine and will make it known to you), that is when Jesus's Spirit and our spirit
communicate with each other ( The Spirit himself testifies with our spirit that we are God’s children....And by him we cry, “Abba, Father.”)

Am I remotely close to understanding what you meant by your statement?

Wick Stick

Sep 21, 2023
Phoenix
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

That's because it isn't true. The entire Bible is not prophetic. Parts of it are history, poetry, law, etc.

Why didn't you just receive the plain meaning of the verse?

Ritajanice

Staff member
Encounter Team
Mar 9, 2023
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
As we are Born Of The Spirit..

Our spirit has become Born Again?

Therefore how does God communicate with his children?

Luke 12:12
Verse Concepts
for the Holy Spirit will teach you in that very hour what you ought to say.”

Matthew 10:20
Verse Concepts
For it is not you who speak, but it is the Spirit of your Father who speaks in you.

Source: 20 Bible verses about Speaking By The Spirit

Ritajanice

Staff member
Encounter Team
Mar 9, 2023
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Mostly through other people.

But there's also that function where when you hear the truth, God's Spirit in you recognizes it and says, "no lies detected."
Yes...he speaks to us through other people....

Ritajanice

Staff member
Encounter Team
Mar 9, 2023
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Commentary.
Being sensitive to the Holy Ghost means you will love, glorify and magnify the Father and the Son more than self because that is what the Holy Ghost does. Jesus said, He [the Holy Ghost] shall glorify me: for he shall receive of mine, and shall shew it unto you (John 16:14).

12question

Dec 9, 2023
Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Yes...he speaks to us through other people....
Absolutely, the concept of the body with many members all interacting with each other to make it grow up, develop to become a fully form body is a good one.

Then the Head having control over that whole body

As with a computer, it needs all the parts to make it work and function to its full potential.

Then only the Developer and Operator can operate it so that it is used to its full potential.

Glory to God for all that He does, He does to perfection according to His script and for His pleasure.

Ritajanice

Staff member
Encounter Team
Mar 9, 2023
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Absolutely, the concept of the body with many members all interacting with each other to make it grow up, develop to become a fully form body is a good one.

Then the Head having control over that whole body

As with a computer, it needs all the parts to make it work and function to its full potential.

Then only the Developer and Operator can operate it so that it is used to its full potential.

Glory to God for all that He does, He does to perfection according to His script and for His pleasure.

Romans 8

New King James Version

Free from Indwelling Sin​

8 There is therefore now no condemnation to those who are in Christ Jesus, who[a] do not walk according to the flesh, but according to the Spirit. 2 For the law of the Spirit of life in Christ Jesus has made me free from the law of sin and death. 3 For what the law could not do in that it was weak through the flesh, God did by sending His own Son in the likeness of sinful flesh, on account of sin: He condemned sin in the flesh, 4 that the righteous requirement of the law might be fulfilled in us who do not walk according to the flesh but according to the Spirit. 5 For those who live according to the flesh set their minds on the things of the flesh, but those who live according to the Spirit, the things of the Spirit. 6 For to be [b]carnally minded isdeath, but to be spiritually minded is life and peace. 7 Because the [c]carnal mind is enmity against God; for it is not subject to the law of God, nor indeed can be. 8 So then, those who are in the flesh cannot please God.
9 But you are not in the flesh but in the Spirit, if indeed the Spirit of God dwells in you. Now if anyone does not have the Spirit of Christ, he is not His. 10 And if Christ is in you, the body is dead because of sin, but the Spirit is life because of righteousness. 11 But if the Spirit of Him who raised Jesus from the dead dwells in you, He who raised Christ from the dead will also give life to your mortal bodies [d]through His Spirit who dwells in you.

Sonship Through the Spirit​

12 Therefore, brethren, we are debtors—not to the flesh, to live according to the flesh. 13 For if you live according to the flesh you will die; but if by the Spirit you put to death the deeds of the body, you will live. 14 For as many as are led by the Spirit of God, these are sons of God. 15 For you did not receive the spirit of bondage again to fear, but you received the Spirit of adoption by whom we cry out, “Abba,[e] Father.” 16 The Spirit Himself bears witness with our spirit that we are children of God, 17 and if children, then heirs—heirs of God and joint heirs with Christ, if indeed we suffer with Him, that we may also be glorified together.

From Suffering to Glory​

18 For I consider that the sufferings of this present time are not worthy to be compared with the glory which shall be revealed in us. 19 For the earnest expectation of the creation eagerly waits for the revealing of the sons of God. 20 For the creation was subjected to futility, not willingly, but because of Him who subjected it in hope; 21 because the creation itself also will be delivered from the bondage of [f]corruption into the glorious liberty of the children of God. 22 For we know that the whole creation groans and labors with birth pangs together until now. 23 Not only that, but we also who have the firstfruits of the Spirit, even we ourselves groan within ourselves, eagerly waiting for the adoption, the redemption of our body. 24 For we were saved in this hope, but hope that is seen is not hope; for why does one still hope for what he sees? 25 But if we hope for what we do not see, we eagerly wait for it with perseverance.
26 Likewise the Spirit also helps in our weaknesses. For we do not know what we should pray for as we ought, but the Spirit Himself makes intercession [g]for us with groanings which cannot be uttered. 27 Now He who searches the hearts knows what the mind of the Spirit is, because He makes intercession for the saints according to the will of God.
28 And we know that all things work together for good to those who love God, to those who are the called according to Hispurpose. 29 For whom He foreknew, He also predestined to be conformed to the image of His Son, that He might be the firstborn among many brethren. 30 Moreover whom He predestined, these He also called; whom He called, these He also justified; and whom He justified, these He also glorified.

God’s Everlasting Love​

31 What then shall we say to these things? If God is for us, who can be against us? 32 He who did not spare His own Son, but delivered Him up for us all, how shall He not with Him also freely give us all things? 33 Who shall bring a charge against God’s elect? It is God who justifies. 34 Who is he who condemns? It is Christ who died, and furthermore is also risen, who is even at the right hand of God, who also makes intercession for us. 35 Who shall separate us from the love of Christ? Shall tribulation, or distress, or persecution, or famine, or nakedness, or peril, or sword? 36 As it is written:
“For Your sake we are killed all day long;
We are accounted as sheep for the slaughter.”
37 Yet in all these things we are more than conquerors through Him who loved us. 38 For I am persuaded that neither death nor life, nor angels nor principalities nor powers, nor things present nor things to come, 39 nor height nor depth, nor any other created thing, shall be able to separate us from the love of God which is in Christ Jesus our Lord.

12question

Dec 9, 2023
Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Commentary.
Being sensitive to the Holy Ghost means you will love, glorify and magnify the Father and the Son more than self because that is what the Holy Ghost does. Jesus said, He [the Holy Ghost] shall glorify me: for he shall receive of mine, and shall shew it unto you (John 16:14).
How can we not, hey Ritajanice. His love for us, while we were chasing after anything or anyone else but Him, pentrated deep within us so that we could only respond by loving, glorying and magnifying Him, as you said.

• Love
Reactions: Ritajanice

Ritajanice

Staff member
Encounter Team
Mar 9, 2023
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
How can we not, hey Ritajanice. His love for us, while we were chasing after anything or anyone else but Him, pentrated deep within us so that we could only respond by loving, glorying and magnifying Him, as you said.
Amen!! He Loved us first....not one person on the planet can Love us like God!.....His Love is so powerful!!!

For we have been Born Again of Imperishable seed that liveth and abideth forever!

FaithWillDo

Mar 1, 2023
Fort Collins, CO, USA
www.greatmysteryofchrist.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Isaiah 28:9–13
Dear JohnD,
Scripture says that the truth of God is concealed from this world. Even for believers who have been given "eyes that can see", understanding the truth of God is a difficult process:

Prov 2:1 My son (a converted believer), if you receive my words and treasure up my commandments with you, 2 making your ear attentive to wisdom and inclining your heart to understanding; 3 yes, if you call out for insight and raise your voice for understanding, 4 if you seek it like silver and search for it as for hidden treasures, 5 then you will understand the fear of the Lord and find the knowledge of God.

Isaiah 28:9-13 sheds more light on the concealed nature of God's Word.

Starting with verse 9, Isaiah says:

Do you understand how a believer is "weaned from milk"? The answer is presented in Mark 8:21-25. Do you understand what Christ is teaching by His healing of the blind man in this story?

Also, Isaiah says that truth is given in scripture "here a little, and there a little" (v.10). In other words, truth must be assembled from different portions of scripture in order to understand the whole truth of a matter.

This verse applies:

Psa 119:160 The sum of your word is truth, and every one of your righteous rules endures forever.

Isaiah also says that truth must be built up "precept upon precept". If a believer has an incorrect understanding of the foundational truths of God, they will not be able to understand the deeper, more concealed truths. Truth must be be learned "line upon line" from the foundation on up.

Isaiah then says that Christ (who is the Word of God) speaks to us with "stammering lips". This makes the truth of God even more difficult to understand.

And if that wasn't enough, Christ also speaks to us in "another language" (v.11).

Scripture is recorded mostly in the Hebrew and Greek languages but according to Isaiah, that is NOT the language of scripture.

Here is what Christ said about His "another language":

John 6:63 It is the spirit that quickeneth; the flesh profiteth nothing: the words that I speak unto you, they are spirit, and they are life.

Christ says that His words are "spirit".

Paul explains more about spirit words below:

1Cor 2:7 But we speak the wisdom of God in a mystery, even the hidden wisdom, which God ordained before the world unto our glory:

1Cor 2:13 These things we also speak, not in words which man’s wisdom teaches but which the Holy Spirit teaches, comparing spiritual things
(words) with spiritual.

Paul says that He speaks in a "mystery" (concealed way). This is true because the words he uses are the same spirit words that Christ uses. Spirit words carry meanings that are different than what man's wisdom teaches. And because they have different meanings, scripture is presented in "another language" which is not Hebrew or Greek - it is Christ's spiritual language.

Paul ends his comments in 1Cor 2:13 by revealing how to understand the meanings of spirit words. Paul says to compare spirit words with how those same spirit words are used elsewhere in scripture. Then, with the guidance of the Holy Spirit, the correct meanings can be discerned.

Then to make understanding the truth of God even more difficult, Christ teaches us with parables (fictional stories), types (actual events) and analogies.

Isaiah finally ends his comments by telling us the purpose of why Christ teaches in this difficult to understand manner:

Isa 28:13 But the word of the LORD was unto them precept upon precept, precept upon precept; line upon line, line upon line; here a little, and there a little; that they might go, and fall backward, and be broken, and snared, and taken.

Isaiah says that the truth of scripture is purposely concealed so that those who are not weaned from the milk (believers who only have the Early Rain of the Spirit) will not be able to understand the truth it teaches. This lacking of understanding will cause the believer to fall away and be broken (loss of salvation). This happens because Satan will come to the believer and deceive them with his carnally pleasing lies. In other words, Satan snares and takes the believer into his kingdom.

This scripture applies to being snared by Satan:

Mat 12:43 When the unclean spirit is gone out of a man, he walketh through dry places, seeking rest, and findeth none. 44 Then he saith, I will return into my house from whence I came out; and when he is come, he findeth it empty, swept, and garnished. 45 Then goeth he, and taketh with himself SEVEN other spirits more wicked than himself, and they enter in and dwell there: and the last state of that man is worse than the first. Even so shall it be also unto this wicked generation.

The spiritual symbol of an unclean spirit represents a spirit which teaches Satan's false truth through lies and deceptions.

Since a new believer remains spiritually blind (Mark 8:21-25) after receiving the Early Rain of the Spirit, they cannot replace their worldly false beliefs with the truth of Christ. ONE unclean spirit leaves but comes back with SEVEN more. The number "seven" represents perfection. In this case, the number seven represents the perfection of Satan's lies/deceptions which come to a believer by the indwelling of the spirit of anti-Christ. Now, instead of ONE unclean spirit within the believer, they now have EIGHT. The number eight is a spiritual symbol which represents a new spiritual condition. In this case, the new spiritual condition is worse than the first.

This "worse than the first" spiritual condition causes the believer to become a False Prophet, a Man of Sin, a Minister of Satan and a Seven Headed Beast with Ten Horns & Crowns.

I now want to give you an easy example of how to understand scripture using this verse below:

Mat 26:52 Then said Jesus unto him, put up again thy sword into his place: for all they that take the sword shall perish with the sword.

Does Christ really mean that if you use a sword to kill others, then you must likewise be killed with a sword? Literally, that is what He is saying. However, if we understand this verse literally, that statement can easily be proven to be false. There are countless examples of people who have used violence to kill others but then do not die from that same type of violence - it almost goes without saying.

Is Christ mistaken or is His message something else?

In Matt 26:52, Christ is using the spirit word SWORD to teach us a spiritual message. To understand what this spiritual symbol represents, we must look at how it is used elsewhere in scripture. In other words, we must compare spiritual things with spiritual as Paul said to do.

Eph 6:17 And take the helmet of salvation, and the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God:

Rev 1:16
And he had in his right hand seven stars: and out of his mouth went a sharp two-edged sword...

From the verses presented above, it is easy to understand that the spirit word SWORD represents the Word of God who is Christ.

Christ’s hidden spiritual point He is making in Matt 26:52 is that the Elect who take up the Sword (those who receive the Early Rain of the Spirit), must perish (death of the Old Man/carnal nature) by the Sword. This death is a necessary part of the conversion process which happens when the Word of God (Christ, the Sword) comes to a person and gives them the Latter Rain of the Spirit (Baptism of the Holy Spirit) and the Baptism of Fire (judgment):

Mat 3:11 I indeed baptize you with water unto repentance: but he that cometh after me is mightier than I, whose shoes I am not worthy to bear: he shall baptize you with the Holy Spirit, and with Fire.

The conversion event which John mentions above is what the Apostles experienced on the Day of Pentecost.

In the spiritual language of Christ, the Apostles took up the Sword when they received the Early Rain of the Spirit during Christ's earthly ministry. They later died by the Sword when Christ came to them a second time and baptized them with the Latter Rain of the Spirit and with Fire.

Fire is a spirit word which represents Christ's judgment which causes a person to spiritually die. In the verse below, Christ uses the potter analogy to teach this truth. Fire is what causes the destruction (death) of the old vessel:

Jer 18:4 And the vessel that he made of clay was marred in the hand of the potter: so he made it again another vessel, as seemed good to the potter to make it.

In light of what I presented above, do you understand what the verse below is teaching?

Isa 66:16 For by fire and by his sword will the LORD plead with all flesh: and the slain of the LORD shall be many.

Joe