"Have you ever had a spiritual paranormal encounter?"

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States Minor Outlying Islands
Apparently only on this site. Don't have this issue with biblical Christians.
ha what an idiot you are lol
I will continue speaking truth.
awesome, just keep saying that ok, and dont bother with that naive dialectic dealy at all then

fwiw i hope you find your niche here, but based upon past evidence--we get a lot of predators come through here pretty regular--im guessing youre all but gone, so i wish you good luck, ok, and no hard feelings i hope.

Reactions: Helen

Marymog

Mar 7, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I really don't know. I have never studied it myself. On this thread I asked someone else to tell me just exactly what the canon was, and who established it, and why was it apparently different for Catholics and non-Catholics. I did not receive answers to those questions.

I presume that the canon is a group of scriptures someone has determined to be the Word of God, but that is a presumption based mainly from what I have read on forums like this one. It may well be erroneous.

Is the canon supposed to be the Word of God? Does it or should it contain 73 or 66 books? I know what I believe to be the Word of God, but a lot of Protestants disagree with me.

Even though I was a Catholic a very long time ago, I don't believe the question ever came up. What do Catholics believe the Bible is? What do they believe the Canon is? To them is there a difference between the Canon and the written scriptures?

I don't believe that the unopened Bible alone is the Word of God about which we read in the scriptures. The unopened Bible as I see it is dead. The Word of God is alive.
Thank you!

I am not familiar with what an "unopened Bible" is.

You believe the word of God is alive. According to The Church Scripture is "the Word of God". What is the word of God if not Scripture?

Curious Mary

Reactions: amadeus

Marymog

Mar 7, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
And like I said, (are you not reading) most of those churches are not protesting. So they are no longer Protestant. They may as well be Catholic.
I notice you cannot reply to any of the other points I make.
Your logic makes zero sense.

The Protestant churches started protesting 500 years ago. That's why they are called Protestant. Then new protestants began to protest the original protestants. Then new protestants began to protest those protestants until today, 500 years after the original protest we still have protest to the point that abortion, gay marriage and gay pastors are ok with God. That is why they are called the protestant churches. When did their protesting stop?

Curious Mary

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Thank you!

I am not familiar with what an "unopened Bible" is.

You believe the word of God is alive. According to The Church Scripture is "the Word of God". What is the word of God if not Scripture?

Curious Mary
An unopened Bible is just exactly that. Lots of people own Bibles but never read them. LOL kind of like me in high school. I frequently took school books home with good intentions to study, but seldom actually cracked a book. I didn't learn to study until college. There are people like that with their Bibles. For me the Word of God is that which comes of the mouth of God.

I believe that men wrote the scriptures as God inspired them to do so... but I don't believe that every person who reads the Bible gets hold of the Word of God. Without the Holy Spirit, the same inspiration the writers had, it seems that some read the Book and receive little or nothing from God. Wrong attitude or purpose. It's like the praying amiss mentioned by James.

When the devil tempted Jesus on the mount, he quoted scripture, but I do not believe there was any Life in what he spoke, so being dead it was not the Word of God. The Word of God is Alive!

Could you answer any of my questions expressed to the other person on this thread about the Canon? What it is and who/when was it established for Catholics [and for others, if you know]? Also what do you believe is the difference, if any, in those books of the Bible accepted by Catholics but not by Protestants or other non-Catholics?

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
An unopened Bible is just exactly that. Lots of people own Bibles but never read them. LOL kind of like me in high school. I frequently took school books home with good intentions to study, but seldom actually cracked a book. I didn't learn to study until college. There are people like that with their Bibles. For me the Word of God is that which comes of the mouth of God.

I believe that men wrote the scriptures as God inspired them to do so... but I don't believe that every person who reads the Bible gets hold of the Word of God. Without the Holy Spirit, the same inspiration the writers had, it seems that some read the Book and receive little or nothing from God. Wrong attitude or purpose. It's like the praying amiss mentioned by James.

When the devil tempted Jesus on the mount, he quoted scripture, but I do not believe there was any Life in what he spoke, so being dead it was not the Word of God. The Word of God is Alive!

Could you answer any of my questions expressed to the other person on this thread about the Canon? What it is and who/when was it established for Catholics [and for others, if you know]? Also what do you believe is the difference, if any, in those books of the Bible accepted by Catholics but not by Protestants or other non-Catholics?

"When the devil tempted Jesus on the mount, he quoted scripture, but I do not believe there was any Life in what he spoke, so being dead it was not the Word of God. The Word of God is Alive!"

Yikes John, can't hardly believe you wrote this! I DO believe there was def. life in what Jesus quoted to the devil, and authority too. I mean, the devil did leave Him each time he tempted Jesus, because of The Word of God that He spoke.

reformed1689

Oct 15, 2019
Somewhere in the USA
reformedtruths.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Let me be clear, David, it's not about feelings, OK? My feelings are pretty controlled, I assure you! You do not hurt my feelings with what you say, because either what you say is true, in which case I do well to listen, or it's not true, in which case I'm free to disregard.

But in the meantime we're all here to have discussion and that sure hangs it up.

Much love!
No, what hangs it up is all the people complaining about my approach and not actually engaging with the arguments.

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
No, what hangs it up is all the people complaining about my approach and not actually engaging with the arguments.
You've stopped engaging my arguments actually. And then taken to making things personal.

I'd like to see this all turn around and become good.

Reactions: historyb and Nancy

stunnedbygrace

Aug 18, 2018
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
"When the devil tempted Jesus on the mount, he quoted scripture, but I do not believe there was any Life in what he spoke, so being dead it was not the Word of God. The Word of God is Alive!"

Yikes John, can't hardly believe you wrote this! I DO believe there was def. life in what Jesus quoted to the devil, and authority too. I mean, the devil did leave Him each time he tempted Jesus, because of The Word of God that He spoke.

You misunderstood him. Read it again, slower.

Reactions: Helen and Nancy

stunnedbygrace

Aug 18, 2018
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

They want to deal with the harsh clanging that is a maddening distraction to thoughtful engagement in conversation. Who can think with such a racket?

Reactions: Helen and Nancy

stunnedbygrace

Aug 18, 2018
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You misunderstood him. Read it again, slower.

Actually, I see it is confusing as he stated it. When Amadeus says "he", he is referring back to Satan rather than Jesus.

Like this: when Satan tempted Jesus, he(Satan) quoted scripture, but there was no life in it...

When Jesus answered, also with scripture, there was certainly life in it.

Last edited:

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Perhaps I did not make myself clear: It is what the devil spoke that was dead! The devil did quote scripture from Psalm 91:11. Then Jesus answered him quoting scripture from Deut 6:16.

"And saith unto him, If thou be the Son of God, cast thyself down: for it is written, He shall give his angels charge concerning thee: and in their hands they shall bear thee up, lest at any time thou dash thy foot against a stone.
Jesus said unto him, It is written again, Thou shalt not tempt the Lord thy God." Matt 4:6-7

Both of them quoted scripture, but what the devil said had no Life in it.

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Perhaps I did not make myself clear: It is what the devil spoke that was dead! The devil did quote scripture from Psalm 91:11. Then Jesus answered him quoting scripture from Deut 6:16.

"And saith unto him, If thou be the Son of God, cast thyself down: for it is written, He shall give his angels charge concerning thee: and in their hands they shall bear thee up, lest at any time thou dash thy foot against a stone.
Jesus said unto him, It is written again, Thou shalt not tempt the Lord thy God." Matt 4:6-7

Oh thank God! I knew there was something I was miss reading :) Thank you for clearing that up!

Reactions: Helen and amadeus

Marymog

Mar 7, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Hi amadeaus,

Kind of busy today and hope to get back to you later today since the answer is extensive it will take some time. If I don't get back to you by next week PLEASE remind me....thank you in advance.

Mary

Reactions: amadeus

Marymog

Mar 7, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Hi Amadeus,

I get the gist of what you are saying but if I may suggest another way to look at it. There is life in all Scripture passages no matter who speaks them one can not take that life away because it is the truth. When one misuses Scripture it does not take the life out of Scripture.....it takes the life out of us. It takes us away from Him.

When a pastor misuses Scripture it is called heresy. When a pastor misuses Scripture he is taking "the way, the truth and the life" from us.....just like Satan tried to do.

Mary

Marymog

Mar 7, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Could you answer any of my questions expressed to the other person on this thread about the Canon? What it is and who/when was it established for Catholics [and for others, if you know]?....
Hi Amadeus,

The Canon: What Is It? The canon is the authoritative list or closed number of the writings composed under Divine inspiration.

The difficulty some have is deciding who has that authority. According to Scripture "whatever you bind on earth will be bound in heaven". Who has binding authority here on earth? Protestants have accepted the binding authority of The Church when it comes to the NT but have rejected that same binding authority when it comes to the OT.

Historically we know that The Church, thru Church Council(s), decided what the canon is. What The Church bound on earth IS bound in heaven....just like Scripture says.

The Protestant Churches accept what some Jewish sects say are canonical instead of what their Christian fathers say are canonical. :( One problem with that is that the Jewish canon can NOT be closed since for them Christ has not yet come and their is more to write.

So my question to you (Protestants) is why do you accept the binding authority of The Church when it comes to the NT but not the authority of The Church when it comes to the OT? If The Church has the authority to bind the NT then why doesn't it have the authority to bind the OT?

Mary

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States Minor Outlying Islands
The Canon: What Is It? The canon is the authoritative list or closed number of the writings composed under

Completely misreps Paul's Writings, dont you think?
...all Writings are benficial for instruction, correction, etc

they just taught you that as a like a little ring-kissing aid i think