"Have you ever had a spiritual paranormal encounter?"

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

reformed1689

Oct 15, 2019
Somewhere in the USA
reformedtruths.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Sorry to say that what you contend is not the truth. In the last year, I have read about 10 books regarding the situation in the Middle East and which has focussed on God's dealings with Muslims. Time and time again, Muslims testified to having a spiritual encounter with a person, often in a dream which they found out to be Jesus himself. After the encounter, they have all realised that the person talking to them in their dream was Jesus and as a result, they gave up Islam and embraced faith in God, which was dangerous for them to do because if they refused to convert back to Islam they were told they would be killed.

In one book, three teenage boys converted to Christianity and when their families found out they were told: "convert back or you die." They refused so one night two uncles found out where they were and hacked their nephew to death with machetes.

These Muslims are saved by a spiritual encounter with Jesus and in my research, I have found out that this has happened to thousands of them.
None of which are verified experiences. Not to mention, I have not seen any of these situations where they did not already know the Gospel

Episkopos

May 17, 2011
Montreal
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Can I suggest that the church has got to the point where it shuns the supernatural because it may mean they lose control of everything? As many churches say "Why change? We have always done things this way."

That's it. The opposite of chaos is not control ("get smart" notwithstanding). Chaos needs order not control. The church is to provide order. Control is going way too far. Quenching the Spirit.

Last edited:

stunnedbygrace

Aug 18, 2018
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Can I suggest that the church has got to the point where it shuns the supernatural because it may mean they lose control of everything? As many churches say "Why change? We have always done things this way."

I think you are right...! They stand to lose everything they've built! It's a repeat (nothing new under the sun) of: what will we do, everyone will go after Him.

And it is this way too, in the microcosm of one man and his machinations of mind. He cannot hear for fear that he will lose what he has built. He cannot bear the thought of the loss of his construct and the thought of having to tear it down and begin again.

Reactions: marksman and marks

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
He asked the sons of Zebedee are ye able, I don’t believe for one moment Jesus was referring to sipping on a literal cup of wine or snacking on a wafer.
And in the same way, when Jesus asked the Father to take the cup away, I don't see this being Jesus asking not to die, rather, not to have to suffer so terribly.

Much love proven to us!

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You have zero understanding of why the reformation began, and why it was needed. The later Protestant reformers weren't protesting the former protestants, they were just coming further it from Rome. But the first reformers became stuck in their one protective of truth and failed to search or accept further truth. Thus they then persecuted those that came after. Like Calvin persecuting Baptists. Calvin did not come out of Luther. He came out of Rome, just further than Luther. Same with Wesley. The Wesley brothers didn't come out of Calvinism, they also simply took further steps away from the apostasy of Rome. None of those churches are now protesting. They are going back to Rome.
In addition to genuine lovers of God who needed the change and were led by Him to better places, I do not doubt that some people used the excuse of what was happening to more easily do their own thing openly without God and get away with it.

Reactions: faithfulness

Waiting on him

Dec 21, 2018
North America
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
And in the same way, when Jesus asked the Father to take the cup away, I don't see this being Jesus asking not to die, rather, not to have to suffer so terribly.

Much love proven to us!
VIJ and I were discussing this the other day, your absolutely right Jesus said don’t fear men and what they will do to the body.
Could be he saw the future suffering of all that share in his cup,

Reactions: amadeus

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Sorry to say that what you contend is not the truth. In the last year, I have read about 10 books regarding the situation in the Middle East and which has focussed on God's dealings with Muslims. Time and time again, Muslims testified to having a spiritual encounter with a person, often in a dream which they found out to be Jesus himself. After the encounter, they have all realised that the person talking to them in their dream was Jesus and as a result, they gave up Islam and embraced faith in God, which was dangerous for them to do because if they refused to convert back to Islam they were told they would be killed.

In one book, three teenage boys converted to Christianity and when their families found out they were told: "convert back or you die." They refused so one night two uncles found out where they were and hacked their nephew to death with machetes.

These Muslims are saved by a spiritual encounter with Jesus and in my research, I have found out that this has happened to thousands of them.
There is a man in our church whose brother was a village council member in Sudan, all Muslim. One night he dreams of Jesus, and believes. He goes into their meeting the next day, he has to tell them! He does, expecting the worst, but then each one relates how they met Jesus that same night, and all the council is now Christian.

Much love!

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I think you are right...! They stand to lose everything they've built! It's a repeat (nothing new under the sun) of: what will we do, everyone will go after Him.

And it is this way too, in the microcosm of one man and his machinations of mind. He cannot hear for fear that he will lose what he has built. He cannot bear the thought of the loss of his construct and the thought of having to tear it down and begin again.
Many people will 'serve' God as long as it is easy on their pocket book and on the life style they enjoy. Sometimes like the rich young ruler, they may open their mouths to ask the Lord, 'What else do I need to do?', but like him there is a limit to what they are really willing to do. They put on a façade similar to Ananias and Sapphira so as to keep what they consider important and also to receive the glory of men.

marksman

My eldest granddaughter showing the result of her
Feb 27, 2008
Melbourne Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
There is a man in our church whose brother was a village council member in Sudan, all Muslim. One night he dreams of Jesus, and believes. He goes into their meeting the next day, he has to tell them! He does, expecting the worst, but then each one relates how they met Jesus that same night, and all the council is now Christian.

Much love!

Sensational!! All power to Jesus...and the supernatural!

Reactions: Willie T

marksman

Feb 27, 2008
Melbourne Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
None of which are verified experiences. Not to mention, I have not seen any of these situations where they did not already know the Gospel

No of course not. They all made up the story independently and as a result, became a believer from telling falsehoods. Happens all the time. I mean, Muslims are desperate to die because they make up stories about supernatural encounters with Jesus. They can't wait to be beheaded or chopped to pieces. I mean, you would do that if it meant that all you had to give up was a peaceful, happy and fulfilled life with your family and friends and a religion you were committed to. Who wants to live when that is all you have got?

The funny thing is you said you have not seen any of these situations etc. Well of course not. How do you expect to see one of these situations when they don't exist? Not logical.

marksman

Feb 27, 2008
Melbourne Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
To anyone who has half a brain.

I would love to meet all these half-brained Christians out there. Especially those who experienced the power of God through the ministry of men like Charles Wesley, Whitfield and Evan Roberts where men used to regularly fall to the ground in their meetings because the presence of God was so powerful and their perception of their sin was so strong and all the pubs had to close because no one patronised them because they were in the chapel getting right with God.

Reactions: Willie T and Helen

marksman

Feb 27, 2008
Melbourne Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Purely conjecture on my party but Reformed 1689 is a devotee of the reformed doctrine which discounts anything supernatural so he would not be able to comprehend the power of God in a supernatural way in his or other people's lives.

Way back when I was a teenager (yes, it did happen) I used to go to a monthly young people's rally as they called it then, supported by most of the churches in the area. Every month the Sholing Male Voice Quartet would sing for us. The girls used to swoon over them because the best-looking one was single. The church they came from was in the reformed tradition and the fact was these four young men were the epitome of graciousness.

When I visited their church to have a look-see, the people were just the same. No power, but wads of graciousness. I don't know if that was due to the fact that the minister was a very gracious man, or their beliefs produced that sort of person. Oh, I forgot to mention it was the largest church in the area numbers-wise.

It seems to me that the main form of evangelism of these people is to deny the supernatural so as to ensure we don't get all excited about Jesus.
After all, they don't want people to get the idea that Jesus is someone who is not normal and natural or is supernaturally powerful.

Reactions: Willie T and Helen

Renniks

Feb 3, 2020
Pennsylvania
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I don't know that I've had what you would call paranormal experiences. I have had what some might call coincidences that I know are God things.
I'll just give one example: I was driving past the cemetery where Mom is buried thinking about stopping and " seeing" her, which I rarely do, because I know she's not actually there, she is in heaven. But as I drive past I randomly switch radio stations and her favorite hymn, that we sang at her funeral comes on. Note, that I wasn't even thinking about the song or trying to find the hymn station. The odds have to be astronomical. But you can call it coincidence if you like. I did go back and sing by her grave. It was a wonderful spiritual experience that I thank God for. Always gives me chills when he does things like that.

Reactions: Helen

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
I don't know that I've had what you would call paranormal experiences. I have had what some might call coincidences that I know are God things.
I'll just give one example: I was driving past the cemetery where Mom is buried thinking about stopping and " seeing" her, which I rarely do, because I know she's not actually there, she is in heaven. But as I drive past I randomly switch radio stations and her favorite hymn, that we sang at her funeral comes on. Note, that I wasn't even thinking about the song or trying to find the hymn station. The odds have to be astronomical. But you can call it coincidence if you like. I did go back and sing by her grave. It was a wonderful spiritual experience that I thank God for. Always gives me chills when he does things like that.

Awesome...seems like the fingerprints of Father right there :)

Reactions: Renniks