Having begun in the Spirit

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Heart2Soul

Spiritual Warrior
Staff member
May 10, 2018
Tulsa
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Look again at David, who as the scripture makes plain stumbled badly with the murder of Uriah and adultery with Uriah's wife [Bathsheba]. Something people don't often mention is the wives of David? He did have several.

Did God or Jesus ever say in scripture it was OK to have more than one spouse, especially at the same time? No, on the contrary, but David was growing all the time that he lived as a man. Man had moved very far away from what Adam and Eve had in Eden prior to their disobedience. God did not take two or three or four or a dozen ribs from Adam to form Eve. He only took one:

"And said, For this cause shall a man leave father and mother, and shall cleave to his wife: and they twain shall be one flesh?" Matt 19:5

David was never confronted with the error of having several wives, at least not in written scripture. In his son, Solomon, we see this error brought to light and exposed for the sin which came from it: His many wives turned his heart away from God.

Solomon it appears lost out with God in the end. David did not. Was David perfect? Yes, in what he had and what he knew he was because even though he stumbled and sinned, when confronted with his errors, he repented.

God's judgment is always fair. We are judged by what we do with what we have. David, apparently never had a conviction against polygamy, even though it misses what was in the beginning with our first parents in the flesh. What we have for our judgment is our present understanding and conviction. If we blatantly go against what God has shown us without even trying to fix, we are in trouble. But... if we have strived or are striving to fix it, is God not fair?

"And that servant, which knew his lord's will, and prepared not himself, neither did according to his will, shall be beaten with many stripes.
But he that knew not, and did commit things worthy of stripes, shall be beaten with few stripes. For unto whomsoever much is given, of him shall be much required: and to whom men have committed much, of him they will ask the more." Luke 12:47-48
Well I am quick to repent when He is dealing with me about my attitude and carnal thinking.....it is enmity against Him and I know it....one of my major struggles is to keep my mind in the right frame.
God Bless and have a good night.

Reactions: amadeus

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yes, there is truth to a lot of what you say, as I see it. Yes, we need to be feeding daily on the Word of God. (Some ppl do see the Lord's Supper as something to be done by rote and thereby supposedly gain merit.)
I don't see partaking in communion as especially wrong any more than it was wrong for people in the OT to bring sacrifice animals to the sons of Aaron at the tabernacle in the wilderness. When we recognize it as no longer necessary or even as in error, our hearts may be convicted against it. I have not participated in it myself for years, but that is my conviction. Each person must follow God as he is led.

Reactions: bbyrd009

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
Well I am quick to repent when He is dealing with me about my attitude and carnal thinking.....it is enmity against Him and I know it....one of my major struggles is to keep my mind in the right frame.
Philippians 4.8 is a great verse to concentrate the mind on. :)

"Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things."

Reactions: amadeus

Heart2Soul

Spiritual Warrior
Staff member
May 10, 2018
Tulsa
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Philippians 4.8 is a great verse to concentrate the mind on. :)

"Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things."
it is my favorite scripture to turn to when I am getting that "stinking thinking" going on...lol.

marksman

My eldest granddaughter showing the result of her
Feb 27, 2008
Melbourne Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
I was reading through Galatians 3 and it says:

Are you so foolish? After beginning by means of the Spirit, are you now trying to finish by means of the flesh?

So here's the thing... I believe I am born again and am indwelt with the Holy Spirit which compels me to try to mortify the deeds of the flesh and put my fleshly nature to death, as the bible instructs us in Romans 8:13.

There is a certain private sin that is recurring (pm if you want to know) and whenever I slip up I always feel like a failure. When I have overcome other similar sins in the past I have felt a sense of accomplishment. But is it wrong to feel that progress is being made against the flesh? Am I focusing too much on my own abilities and not enough of God? What is the right mind to have towards our sanctification in this life?

I fear lately I may be estimating my relationship with the Lord by how well I follow His commands and decrees, and we aren't supposed to do this because God is only satisfied with Christ's sacrifice and also we cannot make ourselves righteous in the Fathers sight by following the Law. Galatians 5:4Galatians 2:16 Romans 3:20. No one is righteous by their own effort. All our "good" works are as filthy rags, after all.

My question is, in my adherence to the commandments, am I focusing too much on following the Law itself? Am I missing what it means to truly live a life governed and led by the Spirit? If so, what am I doing wrong and how can I change to make my life more focused and settled on the power of Christ's finished work? What am I supposed to do if not strive to obey Christs commands and admonitions against living in the flesh?

What does it truly mean to "live by faith" ? Galatians 3:11

For what it is worth this is my experience and I have to say works pretty well for me.

I have been a Christian for 65 years so I can say I have been there and done that. Despite that fact, it all came alive to me one day whilst I was praying against abortion. I was taken up into the heavenly realm and was taken into the presence of God. I had no fear and we hugged each other. God started crying so I asked him why and he said because he had been waiting for this for a long time.

When I came back down to earth I had an overwhelming sense that God was crazy about me with all my faults and failings. I knew that he was not going to wait until I was perfect before he showered his love on me.

Today, whether I am good, bad or indifferent he is madly in love with me and it is not conditional. I have to accept his love unconditionally and let him sort it out.

You and I will NEVER outdo his love or ever stop him loving us. Good or bad, you are the apple of his eye.

If you are off the rails, let him show you and let him show you how to get back on again. Don't whatever you do, try and be good enough because you never will be. We live in his provision and perfection, not ours.

Last edited:

mjrhealth

Mar 15, 2009
Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia

Well this I do know without a doubt, that God knew you and all your faults before you where born, there is not one thing you can ever do to surprise Him, yet He still loves you anyway. you can ask for forgiveness, but that was all done with Christ, you where forgiven before you did what you did, the fine is paid in advance.

Reactions: Heart2Soul

Jeff Wiebe

Feb 9, 2019
Letellier MB
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
I think about what Jesus did for me during his life here and I think about what he did for me on the cross, I get that image in detail and often come to tears. What he did and had done to him is inconceivable and he did it for me. He loves me more than I can imagine and he proved it. I sin, no question, but the guilt and shame in doing it comes with it and he knows it. When I find myself or catch myself going to the dark side, Jesus is with me and turns the light on. I'm still guilty of not seeing it, but its getting better. I also researched how the apostles died. They had amazing faith that I hope to achieve.

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States Minor Outlying Islands
no Son of Man may die for another's sins; the soul that sins will die

confess your sins, one to another

(there is no "ask for forgiveness" anywhere in Scripture, for a very good reason)

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
When I start to see my mind slide away, I like to remember, "for He has promised, I will never leave you nor forsake you". And I fix my mind on my Father here in the room with me, and He is in me.

And I like Peter, "God opposes the proud, but gives grace to the humble; humble yourself therefore under the mighty hand of God, and He will exalt you in due time, casting all your cares on Him, for He cares for you".

In this, it's assumed I lack ability. And I do, on my own. But everything that concerns me - anything at all - I can give over to my Father, I give Him those things I care about, because I'm what He cares about.

Even getting my through the remainders of the sins of the flesh.

And remember . . . Romans 7 . . . It is no longer I who sin but the sin that lives in me.

There is no condemnation, just a loving Father of those who trust Him working in our lives making them better, a work that will continue until our exit from this world.

Much love, and mercy, and peace in Christ Jesus!

Reactions: Helen

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
I think about what Jesus did for me during his life here and I think about what he did for me on the cross, I get that image in detail and often come to tears. What he did and had done to him is inconceivable and he did it for me. He loves me more than I can imagine and he proved it. I sin, no question, but the guilt and shame in doing it comes with it and he knows it. When I find myself or catch myself going to the dark side, Jesus is with me and turns the light on. I'm still guilty of not seeing it, but its getting better. I also researched how the apostles died. They had amazing faith that I hope to achieve.

Amen!

What a lovely 'first post'. :)

...welcome-sign-smiley-emoticon.gif

Reactions: Jeff Wiebe

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
When I start to see my mind slide away, I like to remember, "for He has promised, I will never leave you nor forsake you". And I fix my mind on my Father here in the room with me, and He is in me.

And I like Peter, "God opposes the proud, but gives grace to the humble; humble yourself therefore under the mighty hand of God, and He will exalt you in due time, casting all your cares on Him, for He cares for you".

In this, it's assumed I lack ability. And I do, on my own. But everything that concerns me - anything at all - I can give over to my Father, I give Him those things I care about, because I'm what He cares about.

Even getting my through the remainders of the sins of the flesh.

And remember . . . Romans 7 . . . It is no longer I who sin but the sin that lives in me.

There is no condemnation, just a loving Father of those who trust Him working in our lives making them better, a work that will continue until our exit from this world.

Much love, and mercy, and peace in Christ Jesus!

Amen to that!

Good word.

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
Philippians 1.6

Reactions: Jeff Wiebe