Heart Problems.

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Ritajanice

Staff member
Encounter Team
Mar 9, 2023
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
First of...I’m not seeking any medical advice.

Has anyone here had open heart surgery?

Did you have any complications after surgery?

Does any one here suffer with AF?

Have you been hospitalised because of it?

Just a general enquiry ....as I think it helps us if we can talk to someone who has the same problem....it just lightens the load so to speak....I suffer with AF after open heart surgery, any sufferers of AF here....?...thanks in advance.

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
First of...I’m not seeking any medical advice.

Has anyone here had open heart surgery?

Did you have any complications after surgery?

Does any one here suffer with AF?

Have you been hospitalised because of it?

Just a general enquiry ....as I think it helps us if we can talk to someone who has the same problem....it just lightens the load so to speak....I suffer with AF after open heart surgery, any sufferers of AF here....?...thanks in advance.
I haven't had heart problems such that would require surgery. And my echocardiogram turned up only slight problems. But I do have rhythm problems. I have never passed out but have come close to it a few times. Sometimes my heart will skip a few beats too.

Reactions: Ritajanice

Ritajanice

Staff member
Encounter Team
Mar 9, 2023
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
I haven't had heart problems such that would require surgery. And my echocardiogram turned up only slight problems. But I do have rhythm problems. I have never passed out but have come close to it a few times. Sometimes my heart will skip a few beats too.
Thank you for posting dev..

I have AF at times, my heartbeat can go from 60 beats per minute to over a 130 in a second..it comes on all of a sudden, I then have to dial 999 emergency ambulance arrives, Then I’m blue lighted into emergency department...scary..just wondering if anyone else has suffered with this...

Reactions: dev553344

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Thank you for posting dev..

I have AF at times, my heartbeat can go from 60 beats per minute to over a 130 in a second..it comes on all of a sudden, I then have to dial 999 emergency ambulance arrives, Then I’m blue lighted into emergency department...scary..just wondering if anyone else has suffered with this...
I was cautioned that this could develop into AF. A while back I went to the walk in clinic and they suspected a possible lung clot. My heart rate was 120 at the time. It has got as low as 40. But for me at the moment it's rare. Yes I have a neighbor who had heart surgery and his heart rate gets super high. They have him on meds for it.

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@Ritajanice I think the neighbor said he has a heart monitor and the doctor keeps track of his heart rate. Monitoring it closely.

Ritajanice

Staff member
Encounter Team
Mar 9, 2023
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
@Ritajanice I think the neighbor said he has a heart monitor and the doctor keeps track of his heart rate. Monitoring it closely.
Yes, I have a heart monitor also...mine hasn’t got to that stage yet, where the doctor keeps track of my heart rate, I do that myself.of course I’m under a heart consultant, my surgery was done at the Brompton Hospital in London..it was touch and go , Praise God I survived, this was nearly 6 yrs ago.

I’m also on medication as well, that should keep my heart beat low...they don’t always work...I’m sure there are electrical currents going on in the heart...that’s when it can go AWOL LOL..the messages get confused in the heart..hence AF...

Ritajanice

Staff member
Encounter Team
Mar 9, 2023
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
I was cautioned that this could develop into AF. A while back I went to the walk in clinic and they suspected a possible lung clot. My heart rate was 120 at the time. It has got as low as 40. But for me at the moment it's rare. Yes I have a neighbor who had heart surgery and his heart rate gets super high. They have him on meds for it.
What were the symptoms of a heart clot,dev?

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yes, I have a heart monitor also...mine hasn’t got to that stage yet, where the doctor keeps track of my heart rate, I do that myself.of course I’m under a heart consultant, my surgery was done at the Brompton Hospital in London..it was touch and go , Praise God I survived, this was nearly 6 yrs ago.

I’m also on medication as well, that should keep my heart beat low...they don’t always work...I’m sure there are electrical currents going on in the heart...that’s when it can go AWOL LOL..the messages get confused in the heart..hence AF...
Glad to hear you're getting care for it. If you've done all you can then it is up to the Lord and prayer that he keeps everything under control. God can be very helpful in healing us as I have definitely found out. I will let other people weigh in as that is all I have experienced.

Ritajanice

Staff member
Encounter Team
Mar 9, 2023
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
@dev553344 ...I was on another medication and I was constantly going into AF...Praise God it wasn’t fast AF....it didn’t click in my mind, not until they had taken me off this medication, that it was this medication that was causing me to go into AF...the consultant I was under agreed, and told me quite a few others had serious problems with this medication as well.

I haven’t gone into AF for quite a few weeks now.Praise God.

• Love

Ritajanice

Staff member
Encounter Team
Mar 9, 2023
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Glad to hear you're getting care for it. If you've done all you can then it is up to the Lord and prayer that he keeps everything under control. God can be very helpful in healing us as I have definitely found out. I will let other people weigh in as that is all I have experienced.
Amen!!..thank you,Brother.

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Interesting. Thank you.
I found various symptoms that changed from website to website. I think it's important to know which websites are less correct and which ones are more accurate. WebMD is pretty safe for medical knowledge. Shortness of breath is a serious complication of lung clot and thankfully I didn't have that. Glad to hear you're getting the AF under control!

Ritajanice

Staff member
Encounter Team
Mar 9, 2023
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
I found various symptoms that changed from website to website. I think it's important to know which websites are less correct and which ones are more accurate. WebMD is pretty safe for medical knowledge. Shortness of breath is a serious complication of lung clot and thankfully I didn't have that. Glad to hear you're getting the AF under control!
Because of all the medication I am on, it’s mostly under control....the thing is though...if they can’t control fast AF...3 times I’ve had to have a cannula put it...then they inject something into the cannula that they place on the top of my hand, thank God they got my heartbeat down...as the heart gets quickly worn out when it’s beating 130 beats per minute, it can’t take it.

Thanks for taking the time to talk dev...it’s good to talk and thanks for all that vital information.

Glad you are doing well too,Brother...God Bless You.

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Because of all the medication I am on, it’s mostly under control....the thing is though...if they can’t control fast AF...3 times I’ve had to have a cannula put it...then they inject something into the cannula that they place on the top of my hand, thank God they got my heartbeat down...as the heart gets quickly worn out when it’s beating 130 beats per minute, it can’t take it.

Thanks for taking the time to talk dev...it’s good to talk and thanks for all that vital information.

Glad you are doing well too,Brother...God Bless You.
You're welcome. My prayers are with you. I will pray God comfort you and protect you in his arms.

I have had a couple blood clot scares. Some in my legs and such. There is a medication I have to take which has a rare blood clot symptom. And from medical conditions I run a little dehydrated which can raise the risk of clotting. But so far, if in fact I have had a clot, it has resolved on it's own, which is an encouraging sign for me.

I think we are both blessed and that God is always watching over us and caring for us in various ways.

• Love

Ritajanice

Staff member
Encounter Team
Mar 9, 2023
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
You're welcome. My prayers are with you. I will pray God comfort you and protect you in his arms.

I have had a couple blood clot scares. Some in my legs and such. There is a medication I have to take which has a rare blood clot symptom. And from medical conditions I run a little dehydrated which can raise the risk of clotting. But so far, if in fact I have had a clot, it has resolved on it's own, which is an encouraging sign for me.

I think we are both blessed and that God is always watching over us and caring for us in various ways.
dev...when I was in hospital..I will never forget this...there was a woman who was very elderly ,she had a blood clot in her leg....when the doctor came round and explained to this dear soul that she had this blood clot in her leg...she looked at him and said.

Can’t you cut the blood clot out.....Bless her heart.

So glad to hear you are doing ok, Brother , How good is our God!!...we serve an amazing God!!

Lambano

Jul 13, 2021
Island of Misfit Toys
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You're not alone.

I had open heart surgery about 7 years ago to repair a leaky heart valve that I'd had from birth. After about 55 years of that, it had caused my aorta to dilate into what could have become an aneurism. If that thing had blown, me and Jesus would have been having a face-to-face discussion. They replaced the valve and about 7 inches of internal plumbing. Got a nice zipper scar going down my chest as a souvenir.

I suspect the AFIB may have been a complication of the surgery. I had worn portable heart monitors before, and they had never detected AFIB; just a few missing beats here and there. But after the surgery, my surgeon dropped by the recovery room to see how I was doing, noticed the monitor said my heart was in AFIB, and got real testy with the nursing staff for not paying attention to their patient. It showed up again a couple of years later. The symptoms were just feeling ... anxious and vaguely "not right". By that time, I had a smart watch that could measure my pulse, so I could see my heart rate bouncing around in real time: 70 BPM, 130 BPM, and points in between coming just seconds apart. A portable monitor confirmed it. The doctors tried a couple of medications, the second one being more effective. I also have to take a blood thinner to prevent clotting. I still get the occasional AFIB paroxysm (as detected by the smart watch; I can no longer feel symptoms when it happens), but it goes away either by itself or with mild exercise. The watch hasn't detected anything for almost two years now.

Last edited:

Ritajanice

Staff member
Encounter Team
Mar 9, 2023
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
You're not alone.

I had open heart surgery about 7 years ago to repair a leaky heart valve that I'd had from birth. After about 55 years of that, it had caused my aorta to dilate into what could have become an aneurism. If that thing had blown, me and Jesus would have been a face-to-face discussion. They replaced the valve and about 7 inches of internal plumbing. Got a nice zipper scar going down my chest as a souvenir.
Well I never i too was Born with a leaking valve, Brother, they wanted to do surgery much sooner than it was done...I refused..2 years went by, then my consultant scared me, by saying my mitral valve could go at any minute....I was lucky in the sense that they could repair mine...it was touch and go afterwards as I kept going into AF...just after open heart surgery ,not good....anyway Praise God I’m here to tell the tale.

I too have a nice scar that is very visible....sometimes when I’m out shopping, I get stopped because they have noticed my scar...they are the ones who have had the same operation as me....then we start discussing our scars and surgery,LOL.

How were you after surgery?..did you need oxygen?

I was in I T C for a while....took me a long time to get over that..plus the cage that wired my breast bones together, can become quite uncomfortable at times...depending on how I sleep.
I suspect the AFIB may have been a complication of the surgery. I had worn portable heart monitors before, and they had never detected AFIB; just a few missing beats here and there. But after the surgery, my surgeon dropped by the recovery room to see how I was doing, noticed the monitor said my heart was in AFIB, and got real testy with the nursing staff for not paying attention to their patient. It showed up again a couple of years later. The symptoms were just feeling ... anxious and vaguely "not right". By that time, I had a smart watch that could measure my pulse, so I could see my heart rate bouncing around in real time: 70 BPM, 130 BPM, and points in between coming just seconds apart. A portable monitor confirmed it. The doctors tried a couple of medications, the second one being more effective. I also have to take a blood thinner to prevent clotting. I still get the occasional AFIB paroxysm (as detected by the smart watch; I can no longer feel symptoms when it happens), but it goes away either by itself or with mild exercise. The watch hasn't detected anything for almost two years now.
Yes, understand all of this..what a great idea to get a smart watch to detect AF..I must get my Son to look into this, as I would like one...thank you for sharing.

Lambano

Jul 13, 2021
Island of Misfit Toys
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
How were you after surgery?..did you need oxygen?
They had me on oxygen while in the post-op Intensive Care Unit, which is standard protocol for open-heart surgery. Apparently I kept trying to remove my breathing tube, so they had to restrain my hands. I didn't like that one bit. Fortunately (thank you, Lord), my stay in ICU was relatively quick (though I had no sense of time there), and I was discharged a day early. I have had sleeping issues ever since, but not due to anything I can attribute to the surgery.

Ritajanice

Staff member
Encounter Team
Mar 9, 2023
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
They had me on oxygen while in the post-op Intensive Care Unit, which is standard protocol for open-heart surgery. Apparently I kept trying to remove my breathing tube, so they had to restrain my hands. I didn't like that one bit. Fortunately (thank you, Lord), my stay in ICU was relatively quick (though I had no sense of time there), and I was discharged a day early. I have had sleeping issues ever since, but not due to anything I can attribute to the surgery.
Thankfully we had morphine ,I self ministered mine, via cannula from what I can remember...I’m not quite sure, I just know I was able to press a button every so many minutes.

That was major surgery that we had..I’m proud of my scar..did you know some people have a scar like ours tattooed on to their chest..I’ve seen them..LOL

Last edited: