Hebrew Roots ends now

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

GracePeace

May 4, 2021
Southwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Please define/explain this 'New Sabbath'.
Still in the middle of learning about it--I learned the first part (what it's not), now I only lack the second (what it is)--I have more concerning things to study and ask God about.

I learned about this because it was puzzling to me that God had never convicted me of not keeping 7th Day Sabbath, yet there were those ideas out there that 7th Day Sabbath should be kept. Now I'm not troubled, and I better understand why God never convicted me about it.

Cassandra

Sep 24, 2021
Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hebrews 4:8 -

Hebrews 4:8 is looking back to when Joshua(same name as Jesus) led the Children of Israel into the promised land.
Heb 4:8 KJV For if Jesus had given them rest, then He would not afterward spoken of another Day. Hebrews 4 is speaking of the 7th day, and
Joshua not giving them rest makes no sense. Why would he? And it wasn't Joshua who could've given them rest, but God. It is God's rest, not Joshua's. Not ceremonial--written by the finger of God into stone

GracePeace

May 4, 2021
Southwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
If the 10 commandments were Moses law, then what law were those before Moses judged by? Cain, all of the folk that died in the flood,
etc?
Those who serve in newness of Spirit do fulfill the righteous requirement of the Law (Ro 8:4), they just do it by God working in them (Php 2:12,13), not by means of the Law, which is weak in that it relies on sinful flesh (Ro 8:3; Gal 3:1-3).

For instance, the Gentile believers, who do not know the Law, but who walk by faith, qualify as "doers of the Law" according to Paul, so no one needs to worry about that (Ro 2:6-16, 26, 27).

Cassandra

Sep 24, 2021
Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Still in the middle of learning about it--I learned the first part (what it's not), now I only lack the second (what it is)--I have more concerning things to study and ask God about.

I learned about this because it was puzzling to me that God had never convicted me of not keeping 7th Day Sabbath, yet there were those ideas out there that 7th Day Sabbath should be kept. Now I'm not troubled, and I better understand why God never convicted me about it.
There are many that are not convicted, who follow the light they have. That is fine provided you study it out. That is all we can do.

Reactions: GracePeace

GracePeace

May 4, 2021
Southwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
There are many that are not convicted, who follow the light they have. That is fine provided you study it out. That is all we can do.
Well, I have studied it out--it isn't binding, because it's a commemoration of rest from creating, and that means if there is another act of creating, there will follow a new rest, and there will be a new commemoration. That's why it's not binding.

Ro 14 also justifies me in not observing the day. What counts is that I do what I am convicted is correct.

Last edited:

Cassandra

Sep 24, 2021
Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Well, I have studied it out--it isn't binding, because it's a commemoration of rest from creating, and that means if there is a other act of creating, there will follow a new rest, and there will be a new commemoration. That's why it's not binding.
The problem I have with that is that it is part of the 10, and God would not have put it there if it were discardable. Not of the others are. I am convicted that is is still binding.

GracePeace

May 4, 2021
Southwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The Torah is full of concessions for wicked men anyway--the entire premise is wrong--such as permission to make vows, which Jesus says are "of the evil one" (Mt 5), and "any cause" divorce, which Jesus condemns as "adultery" (Mt 19).

GracePeace

May 4, 2021
Southwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The problem I have with that is that it is part of the 10, and God would not have put it there if it were discardable. Not of the others are. I am convicted that is is still binding.
Yeah, Sabbath is when God rests after creating. Ask God if He has created anew, if He has rested anew, and if there is a new commemoration of that resting (a new Sabbath). Ask Him if you care. I don't care bc I've never been convicted about it.

Cassandra

Sep 24, 2021
Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Well, I have studied it out--it isn't binding, because it's a commemoration of rest from creating, and that means if there is a other act of creating, there will follow a new rest, and there will be a new commemoration. That's why it's not binding.

Ro 14 also justifies me in not observing the day. What counts is that I do what I am convicted is correct.
I agree with you doing what you feel is right----the part you wrote above stating 'that means if there is a other act of creating, there will follow a new rest, and there will be a new commemoration." sounds like an opinion.

GracePeace

May 4, 2021
Southwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I agree with you doing what you feel is right----the part you wrote above stating 'that means if there is a other act of creating, there will follow a new rest, and there will be a new commemoration." sounds like an opinion.

What is the basis of the 7th Day Sabbath?
It commemorate God's rest from creating the creation.
If we are told there is new creation, then hasn't God created again, and wouldn't God rest again, and wouldn't there be a new commemoration for that new rest?

Yeah, it's an opinion--based on principle.

David in NJ

Jul 20, 2021
Denville
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Heb 4:8 KJV For if Jesus had given them rest, then He would not afterward spoken of another Day. Hebrews 4 is speaking of the 7th day, and
Joshua not giving them rest makes no sense. Why would he? And it wasn't Joshua who could've given them rest, but God. It is God's rest, not Joshua's. Not ceremonial--written by the finger of God into stone

Heb 4:8 is referring to Joshua from the OT

The Jews had to wander in the wilderness for 40 years because of unbelief/complaining = they could not enter the promised land.

Deuteronomy 25:19
Remember what Amalek did to you on the way as you were coming out of Egypt, how he met you on the way and attacked your rear ranks, all the stragglers at your rear, when you were tired and weary; and he did not fear God.
Therefore it shall be, when the Lord your God has given you rest from your enemies all around, in the land which the Lord your God is giving you to possess as an inheritance, that you will blot out the remembrance of Amalek from under heaven. You shall not forget.

Not Moses but Joshua(Yashua/Yeshua) led the Jews into the promised land and God thru him conquered and gave rest.

Joshua 21:43-45
So the Lord gave to Israel all the land of which He had sworn to give to their fathers, and they took possession of it and dwelt in it. The Lord gave them rest all around, according to all that He had sworn to their fathers. And not a man of all their enemies stood against them; the Lord delivered all their enemies into their hand. Not a word failed of any good thing which the Lord had spoken to the house of Israel. All came to pass.

GracePeace

May 4, 2021
Southwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Who says "if it's part of the 10" that means anything (that commemorating God's rest after creating will never go through a change)? Yeah, we need to "rest from our labors or else we'll die": the Law (a special form of the more general "knowledge of good and evil" all men are born under) relies on sinful flesh (Gal 3:3), in which there is none of the goodness God's Law requires and is inspecting for (Ro 7:18), is weak (Ro 8:3), whereas Grace is God working in us (Php 2:12,13), and He is rich in the goodness the Law requires of us.

GracePeace

May 4, 2021
Southwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You think God's Law doesn't change?

God gave a Holy Command to commit incest in Genesis 1: "be fruitful and multiply" is, at the very minimum, a command for sister and brother to have sexual relations.

Acts 17
26And He made from one man every nation...

TODAY, however, we know that God has Countermanded that, and anyone who does what was formerly a Holy Command is now working the works of the devil.

Not only does God's Law change, God can change His mind entirely, and turn what was formerly a Holy Command into a prohibition.

We cannot be so naive and simple minded.

Last edited:

Cassandra

Sep 24, 2021
Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You think God's Law doesn't change?

God gave a Holy Command to commit incest in Genesis 1: "be fruitful and multiply" is, at the very minimum, a command for sister and brother to have sexual relations.

Acts 17
26And He made from one man every nation...

TODAY, however, we know that God has Countermanded that, and anyone who does what was formerly a Holy Command is now working the works of the devil.

Not only does God's Law change, God can change His mind entirely, and turn what was formerly a Holy Command into a prohibition.

We cannot be so naive and simple minded.
In the beginning,DNA was perfect, and it was ok for brothers and sisters to mate. As years passed,imperfections became more prominent the closer the family members were. This is why we have laws governing it now. Incest is taboo. I think, in a few states, you can marry a first cousin, but no closer. Cousin marriage law in the United States - Wikipedia This is in no way the same as removal of one of the ten.

And God DID make every nation from one man.
God gave Moses a slew of laws. Only the 10 Commandments were written with His finger.

The Sabbath shows Him as Creator--a far cry from what we have now. We have Christians thinking it to millions of years to create the earth, that there was a pre Adamic flood, and other stuff.
The Sabbath makes it clear. God created the world in 6 days, and rested on the 7th. Not is still resting--rested. Look at Rev 14:7-12:

'7 Saying with a loud voice, Fear God, and give glory to him; for the hour of his judgment is come: and worship him that made heaven, and earth, and the sea, and the fountains of waters.
8 And there followed another angel, saying, Babylon is fallen, is fallen, that great city, because she made all nations drink of the wine of the wrath of her fornication.
9 And the third angel followed them, saying with a loud voice, If any man worship the beast and his image, and receive his mark in his forehead, or in his hand,
10 The same shall drink of the wine of the wrath of God, which is poured out without mixture into the cup of his indignation; and he shall be tormented with fire and brimstone in the presence of the holy angels, and in the presence of the Lamb:
11 And the smoke of their torment ascendeth up for ever and ever: and they have no rest day nor night, who worship the beast and his image, and whosoever receiveth the mark of his name.
12 Here is the patience of the saints: here are they that keep the commandments of God, and the faith of Jesus.

Here is Ex 20:11:
For in six days the LORD made heaven and earth, the sea, and all that in them is, and rested the seventh day: wherefore the LORD blessed the sabbath day, and hallowed it.

Kinda funny that they are alike---one from Exodus, and one from Revelation about the end times.

BTW, I don't care for the naive and simpleminded remark. I can back my belief about the Sabbath scripturally, and have not called you simple minded. That being said, and if that is the way you play, I'm not interested in continuing.

GracePeace

May 4, 2021
Southwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
In the beginning,DNA was perfect, and it was ok for brothers and sisters to mate. As years passed,imperfections became more prominent the closer the family members were. This is why we have laws governing it now. Incest is taboo. I think, in a few states, you can marry a first cousin, but no closer. Cousin marriage law in the United States - Wikipedia This is in no way the same as removal of one of the ten.

And God DID make every nation from one man.
God gave Moses a slew of laws. Only the 10 Commandments were written with His finger.

The Sabbath shows Him as Creator--a far cry from what we have now. We have Christians thinking it to millions of years to create the earth, that there was a pre Adamic flood, and other stuff.
The Sabbath makes it clear. God created the world in 6 days, and rested on the 7th. Not is still resting--rested. Look at Rev 14:7-12:

'7 Saying with a loud voice, Fear God, and give glory to him; for the hour of his judgment is come: and worship him that made heaven, and earth, and the sea, and the fountains of waters.
8 And there followed another angel, saying, Babylon is fallen, is fallen, that great city, because she made all nations drink of the wine of the wrath of her fornication.
9 And the third angel followed them, saying with a loud voice, If any man worship the beast and his image, and receive his mark in his forehead, or in his hand,
10 The same shall drink of the wine of the wrath of God, which is poured out without mixture into the cup of his indignation; and he shall be tormented with fire and brimstone in the presence of the holy angels, and in the presence of the Lamb:
11 And the smoke of their torment ascendeth up for ever and ever: and they have no rest day nor night, who worship the beast and his image, and whosoever receiveth the mark of his name.
12 Here is the patience of the saints: here are they that keep the commandments of God, and the faith of Jesus.

Here is Ex 20:11:
For in six days the LORD made heaven and earth, the sea, and all that in them is, and rested the seventh day: wherefore the LORD blessed the sabbath day, and hallowed it.

Kinda funny that they are alike---one from Exodus, and one from Revelation about the end times.

BTW, I don't care for the naive and simpleminded remark. I can back my belief about the Sabbath scripturally, and have not called you simple minded. That being said, and if that is the way you play, I'm not interested in continuing.
1. I didn't mean to denigrate you, I was saying that all of us Christians shouldn't allow ourselves to be moved by liars.

2. I agree with keeping the righteous requirement of the Law (Ro 3:31, 8:4, 13:8-10). The Gentile believers, who did not have the Law, were deemed "doers of the Law", and were slated for justification and repayment with eternal life at the eschatological judgment for being doers of the Law (Ro 2:6-16, 26,27)--all without the Torah!
Funny, how did that happen?
Could it be because Jesus's Name is "God Is Our Righteousness" (Jer 23:6)? Could it be that God worked in them to will and do for His pleasure (Php 2:12,13)--that as long as they're walking by faith they're revealing not their own righteousness from the Law but God's righteousness (Ro 1:5,16,17, 14:5,23; Php 3:9)?

3. Your "Big 10, engraved in stone with God's own finger" is called "the ministry of death". It doesn't give life--never has, never will.

2 Corinthians
7Now if the ministry of death, which was engraved in letters on stone, came with such glory that the Israelites could not gaze at the face of Moses because of its fleeting glory, 8will not the ministry of the Spirit be even more glorious? 9For if the ministry of condemnation was glorious, how much more glorious is the ministry of righteousness! 10Indeed, what was once glorious has no glory now in comparison to the glory that surpasses it. 11For if what was fading away came with glory, how much greater is the glory of that which endures!

4. Already responded to the "Sabbath": God's Laws change, sometimes entirely, and even if the Sabbath principle remains, it has nothing to do with the rest He took on the 7th Day after having created the old creation.
Sabbath keeping was never reiterated in the New Covenant--gotta wonder, if it was so important, why that was.

Peace.

David in NJ

Jul 20, 2021
Denville
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Dear @Cassandra and @GracePeace,

Genesis 2:1-3
Thus the heavens and the earth, and all the host of them, were finished. And on the seventh day God ended His work which He had done, and He rested on the seventh day from all His work which He had done. Then God blessed the seventh day and sanctified it, because in it He rested from all His work which God had created and made.

Hebrews 4:1-3
Therefore, since a promise remains of entering His rest, let us fear lest any of you seem to have come short of it.
For indeed the gospel was preached to us as well as to them; but the word which they heard did not profit them, not being mixed with faith in those who heard it.
For we who have believed(in Christ/Gospel) do enter that rest,

Exodus 33:12-14
Then Moses said to the Lord, “See, You say to me, ‘Bring up this people.’ But You have not let me know whom You will send with me. Yet You have said, ‘I know you by name, and you have also found grace in My sight.’ Now therefore, I pray, if I have found grace in Your sight, show me now Your way, that I may know You and that I may find grace in Your sight. And consider that this nation is Your people.”
And the Lord said, “My Presence will go with you, and I will give you rest.”

Matthew 11:28-30
Come to Me, all you who labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest.
Take My yoke upon you and learn from Me, for I am gentle and lowly in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For My yoke is easy and My burden is light.”

The LORD Jesus Christ is our REST = Salvation cannot be acquired by resting on the 7th day of the week/Saturday.

Last edited:

pittsburghjoe

Jan 20, 2021
West PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

This Says JESUS TOOK AWAY MOSAIC LAW!!!​

[Heb 10:8-10 KJV] Above when he said, Sacrifice and offering and burnt offerings and offering for sin thou wouldest not, neither hadst pleasure therein; which are offered by the law; 9 Then said he, Lo, I come to do thy will, O God. He taketh away the first, that he may establish the second. 10 By the which will we are sanctified through the offering of the body of Jesus Christ once [for all].