Hebrews 10:26-31

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

justbyfaith

Jun 28, 2018
San Pedro
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Out of courtesy and respect to those who think you can lose your salvation, let's examine their argument and ask ourselves why John 5:24 has to mean you can not lose eternal life as you contend. Put your thinking cap on and honestly ask yourself if there is a way to understand eternal life that does not mean you can't lose that life. There is. Can you think of that way? Probably not. But let me know.

I'm sure you think there is only one way to see John 5:24......your way. I will show you there is another way. A rational, legitimate way. But first take the time to think how it can mean what it says but not mean you can lose eternal life.
Sorry, @Ferris Bueller,

But it seems to me that if someone has everlasting life, their life cannot ever come to an end...if it could, then the nature of that life is that it was always temporal rather than everlasting.

But I am interested in how you think that everlasting life can not mean that you cannot lose your salvation.

Reactions: Ferris Bueller

Ferris Bueller

Sep 9, 2020
Middle South
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
As concerning John 5:24...

1 John 5:1 tells us that the one who believes that Jesus is the Christ is born of God...

While 1 John 3:9 tells us that the one who willfully sins against Christ is not born of God.

Therefore, I would conclude that the one who willfully sins against Christ does not believe; and that therefore John 5:24 does not apply to them.
Good start. It's clear that the promise is for those who are believing, not for those who don't believe, or who no longer believe. But he's going to say the person being spoken about in John 5:24 is in fact a true believer who does in fact have eternal life. What would you say to him in response? Can the verse ONLY be understood to mean the person who has eternal life can not lose that eternal life? Or is it possible that it can also mean a person can have eternal life and be able to lose that eternal life without stripping 'eternal life' of it's eternal quality?

Ferris Bueller

Sep 9, 2020
Middle South
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Sorry, @Ferris Bueller,

But it seems to me that if someone has everlasting life, their life cannot ever come to an end...if it could, then the nature of that life is that it was always temporal rather than everlasting.

But I am interested in how you think that everlasting life can not mean that you cannot lose your salvation.
I'm not taking a postion either way about it. I just want to show that, right or wrong, there is a legitimate way that 'eternal life' in John 5:24 is very much eternal and everlasting, yet can be lost. See, the problem with Christians is they are so closed minded and dogmatic it makes them incapable of appreciating alternate views to scripture that they never thought of and, therefore, can not see, but which may very well be true.

BloodBought 1953

Jun 3, 2020
Portsmouth Ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Do you think for a minute false believers never asked to be saved?

Don’t be a Dotard...It should go without saying that the Prayer where one “ asks to be Saved” has to come from a sincere, Contrite Heart....

Btw....you have done a very SUBTLE “ Switheroo” on the “ Willful Sin” debate.....
All of the previous debates have been about a Christian who is doing just fine and then he “ Sins and Knows it While he is doing it—- the “ Willful Sin.” According to your false view, that man is now Lost Forever because the Blood Of Christ does not Cover those types of Purposeful Sins.....
My side has claimed ALL ALONG that the “ Willful Sin” is the Sin Of UNBELIEF .....These Potential Hebrew Believers had “Heard” Paul’s Gospel about Jesus being the “ ONE TIME SACRIFICE for Sin” and they Rejected that Gospel and proved their UNBELIEF by going back to the Temple continuing to offer up Animal Sacrifices —- Trusting in the Blood Of sheep and goats instead of the Blood Of Jesus ..These Jews started out as Unbelievers, heard the Gospel , and Ended “Up” as Unbelievers.....no “ Change Of Mind” .....which is what True Repentance for Salvation is.
Now, unless I am mistaken, you have turned the debate into something that it never was...It’s like you stole the Truth Of “Willful Sin”, Being Unbelief all along and subtlety “ tacked It on” to your usual argument that any sin done on purpose will send you to Hell......
OF COURSE “ UNBELIEF” will send you to Hell ! You have NOT been talking about that —- It’s been ANY sin—-NOT “THAT” one that will damn you if you do it on purpose.....
Here’s the Deal—- If These Jews in Hebrews started out as Unbelievers and went on to DIE as Unbelievers, they are Damned—- no different than you, me or anybody else! If they became Believers, it is possible for them to fall into error as the Galatians did and even if they fall to the point that they lose their Faith. God “ STILL remains Faithful, for He can not deny Himself” 2 Tim 2:13......” If we BELIVE NOT, HE remains Faithful , for He can’t deny himself.....”
A mere One- Time Belief in the Gospel will get God’s Spirit in you.....as a matter of fact, if you did not already Possess that Holy Spirit Inside Of you, you never would have Believed that Gospel to begin with....Once Gods Spirit is in you, it is HiS responsibility to get you Home....” I” will FINISH the Good Work that I started.....the “ ONUS” to save is on God’s Shoulders, once you have completed “ YOUR” Part. What exactly is “ Your Part” as far as Salvation goes? Simple .Ask for it.
Once again it all comes down to this—- “ Anybody that ASKS to be Saved WILL BE SAVED”.... If there is ANYTHING out there that can cause a person to lose his Salvation once a person has Put His Sincere Trust in Jesus to Save Him, God ain’t gonna let it happen ......Theoretically, if it DID happen, He will Forgive it and actually “ Remember it no more”. If any man has cried out from a Contrite Heart, “ Lord, have Mercy on me a Sinner”....God is gonna save that man. If He doesn’t ? God is a Liar......” Turn to Me and I will Turn to You”..... That Promise ALONE will get you Saved.NO MATTER WHAT YOU DO! Nothing can cause a Saved man to lose his Salvation because if there WERE something he could do to become Damned—- God would not allow it to happen.....
You guys severely underestimate the Grace Of God .....God says that NOTHING can take you from His Grip....btw, “ NOTHING” includes “ Willful Sins done with full awareness, and it also would include YOU trying to escape His Grip— YOU letting go of Him while you admit that He will never let go of you....and even if you slip into UNBELIEf once you are a Believer.....God might just take you to His Pain-Inflicting “ Wood Shed” for an “ attitude adjustment “. He could even decide to knock you Dead in your tracks.....Either way your Salvation is still intact....something MORE IMPORTANT that “ you” is at Stake....HIS WORD! He CAN not and WILL not “ deny Himself” ......There is nothing “ Fair” about Grace.....that is why they CALL it “ Grace” ......Deal with it.

FHII

Apr 9, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
By “said sin” I was referring to what you say is the sin of forsaking the assembling and lacking in exhorting another.
Yes, that is what I assumed you meant. Still, even though you acknowledged the verse goes back to verse 22, you are still stuck on what is said in verse 25. The willful sin which leads to no more sacrifice for it is not holding fast to faith. Yes, included in that is not forsaking the assembling; but that's not all there is. This will become an important point later.

Since you don’t seem to see that your take renders verse 26 a mess, let me show you how it is by simple substitution:
Would you please further describe this "mess"? Because I see a bigger mess (whatever that may mean) by your theory.

The verse would then go as saying, ‘For if we willfully forsake the assembling and lack in exhorting another after we have received the knowledge of the truth, there no longer remains a sacrifice for sins.’ There’s a problem with part in bold. For what has that got to do with the first part? It makes no sense. If you can’t see that to be messy or distorted, well I guess that’s it with that.
No, I don't. I can only imagine what you find "messy and distorted" about it. I have my suspiscions, but I would rather not make an inference at this time.

I have more to say, but I'd like to know what is "messy and distorted".

FHII

Apr 9, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Are we talking "church" or gathering,
I apologize for not getting back sooner.

Mjrhealth, at thia stage I'm simply concerned with "assembling". That's what it says. I can and in the past have made a point for "church" and I'm sur I have discussed it with you in the past. However, right now I am not looking to go that deep.

The term can mean a Church service or a gathering. Both are important and discussed in the Bible.my overall point, however goes beyond "assembling". As I've mentioned before it goes back to verse 23, where it says hold fast to our faith. Via verse 25, that means not forsaking the assembling.

For now, if I can get people to see that --whether it means "Church" or gathering-- I'll be happy with it.

Ferris Bueller

Sep 9, 2020
Middle South
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Don’t be a Dotard...It should go without saying that the Prayer where one “ asks to be Saved” has to come from a sincere, Contrite Heart....
Right. That does go without saying, but that still leaves my question unanswered by you. How does one know they had a sincere heart and really did get saved when they asked for salvation? You say, because they asked. That's not what the Bible says. The Bible spells it out very specifically how you can know for sure you are really saved. Do you know where it says that? I doubt one of your teachers would be able to tell you. Those verses of scripture don't fit into their teachings. They may not even know they exist. They certainly can't teach you anything they don't know themselves.

You're missing out. You need to read the Bible for yourself with an honest and open heart and stop measuring the Bible by what they say and start measuring what they say by the Bible. Then you will not be guilty of leading people astray into thinking they are saved and ready to meet Jesus when they may not be at all.

Reactions: Wynona

Ferris Bueller

Sep 9, 2020
Middle South
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
All of the previous debates have been about a Christian who is doing just fine and then he “ Sins and Knows it While he is doing it—- the “ Willful Sin.” According to your false view, that man is now Lost Forever because the Blood Of Christ does not Cover those types of Purposeful Sins.....
Yes, but only when he has rejected all of God's calls to come back to faith in Christ and God turns him over to his decision to not believe anymore so that he can't come back. I've made this very clear. That's assuming a genuine believer can decide to go back to not believing in Christ. But what does it matter if he can or not. That's kind of a moot point if the 'Christian' finds himself in the position of having gone back to his sins in a rejection of Christ. He is still condemned whether he ever really believed or not. So whether or not he really believed is a meaningless contention at that point. He is in unbelief and he is going to hell. The important point that the church ignores in favor of their once saved always saved doctrines is the Bible's command to keep believing in Christ as evidenced in an active life of righteous living. They focus on the once saved always part and not on the 'have a life that proves you are really saved' part.

Last edited:

BloodBought 1953

Jun 3, 2020
Portsmouth Ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
As concerning John 5:24...

1 John 5:1 tells us that the one who believes that Jesus is the Christ is born of God...

While 1 John 3:9 tells us that the one who willfully sins against Christ is not born of God.

Therefore, I would conclude that the one who willfully sins against Christ does not believe; and that therefore John 5:24 does not apply to them.

Got to hand it to you..... nobody can twist Scripture like you do.....congrats !

Tong2020

Apr 30, 2020
Faith
Christian
Country
Philippines
I have no opinion on the matter, having not studied it out. But go ahead and give us your take on the matter.
I am surprised that you say that because you did take reference to Hebrews 10:4. I was asking so I could be sure what you wanted to point out by it.

Anyway, let me then just share to you my take on Hebrews 10:4

Hebrews 10:4 For it is not possible that the blood of bulls and goats could take away sins.

The Greek word “aphaireó”, translated “take away” in the verse, means to take away or take away from as to remove. It is different from forgiveness (aphesis). So, the passage is not really talking about forgiveness of sin but the taking away of sin. The context makes us understand that “take away sins” pertains to the guilt or consciousness of sin, the removal thereof. That is different from forgiveness of sins, even while they are closely related. To take the passage as speaking about the forgiveness of sins is to miss the point of the verse.

Tong2020 said:
It is not quite clear to me here what it is you refer to that leads to the result you are saying. Please clarify what created the result of there being no more sacrifice for sin? Are you referring to the first part of verse 26 “if we sin willfully after we have received the knowledge of the truth”?

Yes.
The result spoken of in verse 26, that “there no longer remains a sacrifice for sins” is not of the willful sinning, but of the once and for all sacrifice by Jesus Christs for sins. Willful sinning has nothing to do with the matter of sacrifices for sins.

Tong2020 said:
Do you believe that any one under the law, who seek and keep those commandments by faith have this fearful expectation of judgment and fiery indignation?
Yes. The only way to be redeemed is to be forgiven through the blood of Christ; and all who are forgiven in this way are not under the law (Romans 6:14).
As I said in my post, before Christ, the laws on the sacrifice for sin was given to the covenant people that was for the forgiveness of their sin. And at each of those laws, it says “the sin which he has committed shall be forgiven him.” So, there is no reason for me to believe that those who sought and kept those commandments by faith have not received forgiveness of their sins. Else, what would that make of those laws which says that their sin shall be forgiven? I believe that those who approached God with a repentant heart, during the time before Christ, who by faith offered the sacrifices required by the law, received forgiveness as the law says they shall.

Tong
R1415

Last edited:

BloodBought 1953

Jun 3, 2020
Portsmouth Ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
That's not what the Bible says.[/QUOTE]

It’s “ EXACTLY” what the Bible says.... A five year old could see it , but you can’t...... “Anybody that ASKS to be Saved WILL be Saved”......
You preach a False, Perverted Gospel....that’s bad enough for those that believe what you teach —- they “fall from Grace”..... Those like you that “ TEACH” your Tripe ? They are “ Accursed”....that’s just a polite way to say that you are Damned Forever....Paul welcomed the Damnation Of some.....just sayin’
Newbies with “ eyes to see” will understand that you are calling God a “ liar” .Fortunately for you, there will always be plenty of people that are “ spiritually blind” and listen to Hog Wash....

Ferris Bueller

Sep 9, 2020
Middle South
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The result spoken of in verse 26, that “there no longer remains a sacrifice for sins” is not the willful sinning, but of the once and for all sacrifice by Jesus Christs for sins.
That can't be what it means because that would be saying since Christ is the once and for all sacrifice for sin all you have left to look forward to is the judgment of God and raging fire.

26If we deliberately keep on sinning after we have received the knowledge of the truth, no sacrifice for sins is left, 27but only a fearful expectation of judgment and of raging fire that will consume the enemies of God.

Obviously, it's saying having no sacrifice for sin left means you don't have that sacrifice left to rescue you from the wrath of God.

Ferris Bueller

Sep 9, 2020
Middle South
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It’s “ EXACTLY” what the Bible says.... A five year old could see it , but you can’t...... “Anybody that ASKS to be Saved WILL be Saved”......
You preach a False, Perverted Gospel....that’s bad enough for those that believe what you teach —- they “fall from Grace”..... Those like you that “ TEACH” your Tripe ? They are “ Accursed”....that’s just a polite way to say that you are Damned Forever....Paul welcomed the Damnation Of some.....just sayin’
Newbies with “ eyes to see” will understand that you are calling God a “ liar” .Fortunately for you, there will always be plenty of people that are “ spiritually blind” and listen to Hog Wash....
What exactly is this perverted gospel that I preach?

BloodBought 1953

Jun 3, 2020
Portsmouth Ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
He didn't twist anything. He made his point right from plain scriptures. The verse that seems to really trip you up is the 1 John 3:9 verse. You avoid it like the plague.

Well.....you finally got me. I’m so upset that I’ve been “ found out” by this verse that just destroys everything that I’ve ever thought or said......I’m going to take a nap....I’ll address your usual false take on Scripture when I get up....zzzzzzzzz.....

Ferris Bueller

Sep 9, 2020
Middle South
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Now, unless I am mistaken, you have turned the debate into something that it never was...It’s like you stole the Truth Of “Willful Sin”, Being Unbelief all along and subtlety “ tacked It on” to your usual argument that any sin done on purpose will send you to Hell......
WRONG! I've been saying it all along as you can see here......

"not working is tantamount to a denial of Christ in unbelief." SinSinSin

Willfully sinning is equivalent to choosing to not trust in the blood of Christ for salvation. Whether you are going back to the law for justification, or going back to your unconverted life of sin, both represent the willful decision to be in unbelief. Whether the person who does that was ever really saved to begin with or not is not the point. The point is the person is in unbelief and is going to hell.

Last edited:

Ferris Bueller

Sep 9, 2020
Middle South
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Well.....you finally got me. I’m so upset that I’ve been “ found out” by this verse that just destroys everything that I’ve ever thought or said......I’m going to take a nap....I’ll address your usual false take on Scripture when I get up....zzzzzzzzz.....
Maybe the answer will come to you in a dream, lol.

Reactions: BloodBought 1953

Tong2020

Apr 30, 2020
Faith
Christian
Country
Philippines
Yes, that is what I assumed you meant. Still, even though you acknowledged the verse goes back to verse 22, you are still stuck on what is said in verse 25. The willful sin which leads to no more sacrifice for it is not holding fast to faith. Yes, included in that is not forsaking the assembling; but that's not all there is. This will become an important point later.
It seems to me that up to now you carry on with the “willful sin” when there is none spoken nor conveyed in the topic verse Hebrews 10:26. What is there is not about a willful sin but about sinning willfully. If you will keep ignoring this point, hopes are low at arriving at the correct understanding of v.26

Would you please further describe this "mess"? Because I see a bigger mess (whatever that may mean) by your theory.

No, I don't. I can only imagine what you find "messy and distorted" about it. I have my suspiscions, but I would rather not make an inference at this time.

I have more to say, but I'd like to know what is "messy and distorted".
I already pointed out and shown you. I am afraid I don’t know how else I could help you see it. But I’ll give it one more try here.

The result spoken of in verse 26, that “there no longer remains a sacrifice for sins” is not of the willful sinning, much less of some willful sin, but of the once and for all sacrifice by Jesus Christs for sins. Willful sinning has nothing to do with the matter of sacrifices for sins. More so, some “willful sin” has nothing to do with the matter of sacrifices for sins.

Tong
R1416

Tong2020

Apr 30, 2020
Faith
Christian
Country
Philippines
That can't be what it means because that would be saying since Christ is the once and for all sacrifice for sin all you have left to look forward to is the judgment of God and raging fire.

26If we deliberately keep on sinning after we have received the knowledge of the truth, no sacrifice for sins is left, 27but only a fearful expectation of judgment and of raging fire that will consume the enemies of God.

Obviously, it's saying having no sacrifice for sin left means you don't have that sacrifice left to rescue you from the wrath of God.
How could it be saying that since Christ is the once and for all sacrifice for sin all you have left to look forward to is the judgment of God and raging fire???

Perhaps, what I said there was not clear to you. The result spoken of in verse 26, that “there no longer remains a sacrifice for sins” is not the result of the willful sinning, but the result of the sacrifice of Jesus Christ for sins, which had rendered the sacrifices for sins afforded under the Law or the old covenant to had been done away with and no longer of avail.

As I said in my other post, which I am guessing you have not read, "the point and message that the writer of Hebrews wanted for them to understand and realize at this point in Heb. 10:26, that there is no forgiveness of sin, except in Jesus Christ, the law even having been rendered of no avail."

Tong
R1417

justbyfaith

Jun 28, 2018
San Pedro
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
That's not what the Bible says.[~/QUOTE]

Yes, the very doctrine that is responsible for my being set free from besetting sins (in Ezekiel 33:11-20) must in fact be a FALSE and PERVERTED gospel by which I am damned for ever...

After all, the true gospel tells us that we can remain in our sins and we will go to heaven...and therefore if there is a gospel that sets you free from the power of sin, it must be evil. :rolleyes:o_O:confused::(:oops::mad:

For the TRUE GOSPEL is that the Lord does not enact a change in the life of the believer so that 1 John 3:9 would be the reality of his life...

The TRUE GOSPEL is that a man does not need to repent of sin but can keep on keeping on in his sinful ways so that when he gets to heaven, he can keep on keeping on in his sinful ways and therefore sin will be in heaven...and all of the things associated with it...sorrow, crying, tears, pain, and death...because he never repented of living a lifestyle of sin so he will keep on sinning in heaven...

(I think that what you don't realize is that we sin with our souls and we repent with our souls. So that if we have not repented with our souls by the time we stand before the judgment seat of Christ, receiving a glorified body is not going to change the fact that we are sinners...because in that case, we would still be sinners in our souls and eradicating sin from the body would therefore not remove sin from the entire being of the person.)

It is a FALSE and PERVERTED gospel by which you will be damned for ever to believe that God requires a man to repent...and therefore, John the Baptist preached a FALSE and PERVERTED gospel by which he and all who heard him were damned for ever.

Okay, back to reality...

It is a FALSE and PERVERTED gospel to teach that a man can go on in his sins and still be saved.

The TRUE GOSPEL requires that a man repent in order to be saved.

This is the bottom line.

@Blood Bought 1953,

Your FALSE and PERVERTED gospel is going to put you smack dab in the center of hell...you are going to die in your sins if you do not repent...that means to turn away from your sins.

Sins included in this are the preaching of a FALSE and PERVERTED gospel by which a man can believe that he is saved if he continues on in his sins and never repents of them.

For you preach a gospel that is devoid of repentance....and that is a FALSE and PERVERTED gospel to say the least.

Then you have the gall to say that a gospel that includes repentance will place a man in hell...

Which amounts to the teaching that repenting will place a man in hell.

I am very certain, 100%, no shadow of a doubt that the devil is very pleased with you and the doctrine that you have set forth as the gospel of grace. For of course the devil would love it if no one repents.

I leave you with this.

1Jo 3:8, He that committeth sin is of the devil; for the devil sinneth from the beginning. For this purpose the Son of God was manifested, that he might destroy the works of the devil.

Jesus was manifested to destroy the works of the devil....He came to set people free from the power of sin (Matthew 1:21, Titus 2:14, 1 John 1:7). He does not do this in a man without his permission; and therefore, the man in question must turn away from his sins if he is going to have the works of the devil destroyed in his life. As long as he commits sins, he is of the devil; he is not of God. His only option that will redeem him will be to turn to Christ as the remedy from his lifestyle of sinning; as it is written,

Jhn 8:31, Then said Jesus to those Jews which believed on him, If ye continue in my word, then are ye my disciples indeed;
Jhn 8:32, And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free.

Jhn 8:33, They answered him, We be Abraham's seed, and were never in bondage to any man: how sayest thou, Ye shall be made free?
Jhn 8:34, Jesus answered them, Verily, verily, I say unto you, Whosoever committeth sin is the servant of sin.
Jhn 8:35, And the servant abideth not in the house for ever: but the Son abideth ever.
Jhn 8:36, If the Son therefore shall make you free, ye shall be free indeed.

Last edited: