Hell Is Not The Lake of Fire

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

veteran

Aug 6, 2010
Southeast USA
Hell is a old english way of avoiding persecution by the Church in the translation days. it was translated from four very different words.

Sheol = Grave
Hades = Grave
Tartaroo = the abyss = Black nothingness
Gehenna = the valley of Slaughter

If you took The Gospel to far remote island dwellers isolated from the rest of the world, who also had their own specific language, and they had only one word in their language which partially covered the concept of a place after death for the dead, would you be inclined to use it? That's what Paul and other disciples did with the Konine Greek. Tartaroo and hades were Greek terms for a place for the dead. And the pagan Greeks had all sorts of beliefs and traditions attached to those terms. So how did Apostle Paul teach in the Greek to overcome the pagan's usage of such terms? By examples to show the difference.

When Jesus said in Matt.10:28 to not fear those who can kill the body but not the soul, to understand that doesn't require we have a specific word for where the soul goes after flesh death. The common sense of the Message is enough to know that some type of place or state for the soul after flesh death must exist. It is automatically inferred within His statement there. But our Lord Jesus did not leave us guessing, for He told the malefactor crucified with Him that he would be with Him in Paradise that day. So that idea of Paradise is a specific label, but still from the Greek language manuscripts of the Book of Luke. 1 Peter 3:19 also gives us a bit more information on a place for the dead after flesh death, revealing there is a place in the heavenly after flesh death where some souls go to and are put in a heavenly prison. Same idea of a heavenly prison is described with the idea of Satan being locked in his pit prison in the heavenly.

So what does all this New Testament information about a place in the heavenly after flesh death do to all the Old Testament usages for Hebrew sheowl, etc.? Just because other words like in Hebrew are used, does that really change... the whole concept of a heavenly prison for dead souls after they died? If Christ was able to preach The Gospel to the "spirits in prison" who were sometime disobedient back to Noah's days according to Peter, how does that shed new light upon souls of the dead in Old Testament times? In other words, the idea of a holding place in the heavenly for the wicked did not just change... between Old and New Covenant periods. The same kind of place that exists now per the New Testament examples is the same place that existed back in Old Testament times too.

Reactions: heather

heather

Sep 30, 2018
spokane
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Yes... many will be cast into the Lake of Fire and yes, they will all come out

again. What is the Lake of Fire? Let's ask John what it is in Rev. 20:14.

14 Then death and Hades were thrown into the

lake of fire. This is the second death, the lake
of fire.
15 And if anyone's name was not found written
in the book of life, he was thrown into the lake
of fire (the second death).

Then John goes on to say in Rev. 20:6,

6 Blessed and holy is the one who has a part in

the first resurrection ; over these the second
death has no power, but they will be priests of
God and of Christ and will reign with Him for a
thousand years.

Look very closely @ what John just said, the second death has no power over

the ones that trusted in Jesus. Why John? Because they have already died to
themselves, and God has given them immortality (LIFE), they have defeated
the first death through Jesus Christ. They have no need to go through the
second death because they are already dead to the things of the world. Jesus
said in Rev. 2:11,

11 He who has an ear, let him hear what the Spirit

says to the churches. He who overcomes will not
be hurt by the second death.'

Notice, you want be hurt of the second death. In other words you will not be

effected by it's Judgment. The one that didnt accept Jesus in their lifetime will
be effected (hurt) by the Judgment to purify them from their carnal ways. The
Lake of Fire is designed to bring the rest of Creation into the fold. There will be
another Harvest @ the end of time. All death including the second death will be
destroyed by giving the Creation LIFE. 1st Cor. 15:26 says,

26 The last enemy that will be abolished is death.

So, in the end, we can now understand the importance of the statement that Paul

made in Romans 8:21,

21 that the creation itself also will be set free from

its slavery to corruption into the freedom of the
glory of the children of God.

Did you see that? The whole Creation will be set FREE after they have been sanctified

in the Lake of Fire, God will release them from their carnality and they will be able to
enjoy the blessings of Abraham.

What a God... what a Plan!

Logabe
I have only been a true Christian for 2 1/2 years. Over a year ago I dreamed about the fire and it was amazing. I wish I could talk to you about it. I was standing there and It felt so real - this fire- a wall of fire that was alive, loving, compassionate - yet there was judgement and condemnation in the fire. In my notes I have written down Isaiah: "our righteousness is like a filthy rag in his sight..." and I have pondered many long hours as to whether the fire would burn the filthy rags of those who were saved. And I worried for those who were not saved - would it destroy them entirely? Now you have echoed what my dream implied, but that I could not see - the purification!
thank you!

lforrest

Staff member
Admin
Aug 10, 2012
Faith
Christian
I have only been a true Christian for 2 1/2 years. Over a year ago I dreamed about the fire and it was amazing. I wish I could talk to you about it. I was standing there and It felt so real - this fire- a wall of fire that was alive, loving, compassionate - yet there was judgement and condemnation in the fire. In my notes I have written down Isaiah: "our righteousness is like a filthy rag in his sight..." and I have pondered many long hours as to whether the fire would burn the filthy rags of those who were saved. And I worried for those who were not saved - would it destroy them entirely? Now you have echoed what my dream implied, but that I could not see - the purification!
thank you!

Welcome to the site Heather.

This is an old topic, it has come up again recently.

Reactions: Helen

BobRyan

Jul 27, 2018
Atlanta
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
thank you!

Sorry to tell you this - but the "lake of Fire" that we see in Rev 20 is judgment where "both Body AND soul" are destroyed according to Christ - Matt 10:28.

1. Nothing good happens to anyone that goes there.
2. No such thing as purgatory.
3. Hell is real - John calls it the "lake of fire" - in Rev 20. and "fire and brimstone" in Rev 14.

But outside of that "God is a consuming fire" - Hebrews 12:29. In the presence of God there is love but there is also justice and hatred of sin and evil.

BobRyan

Jul 27, 2018
Atlanta
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
When Jesus said in Matt.10:28 to not fear those who can kill the body but not the soul, to understand that doesn't require we have a specific word for where the soul goes after flesh death. The common sense of the Message is enough to know that some type of place or state for the soul after flesh death must exist.

Agreed. I and in John 11 Jesus said that state of the soul is "sleep" it is "dormant".
The spirit/soul "returns to God who gave it" at death. And it is in a dormant state.
That is the first death.

In Matthew 10:28 "do not fear those who can kill the body - but not the soul. Rather - fear Him who is able to DESTROY BOTH body AND soul in fiery hell".

But our Lord Jesus did not leave us guessing, for He told the malefactor crucified with Him that he would be with Him in Paradise that day.

No he did not.
In fact in John 20 Jesus reminds us that even at his resurrection He had not yet been to paradise - where Rev 22 says God's throne is.

Luke 23 the sinner says "Lord remember me WHEN you come into your kingdom"
Jesus responds "verily I say to you today you WILL be with Me in paradise".

So that idea of Paradise is a specific label, but still from the Greek language manuscripts of the Book of Luke. 1 Peter 3:19 also gives us a bit more information on a place for the dead after flesh death, revealing there is a place in the heavenly after flesh death where some souls go to and are put in a heavenly prison. Same idea of a heavenly prison is described with the idea of Satan being locked in his pit prison in the heavenly.

That is creative writing .. no Bible text says that after death all souls go to paradise and that it is a heavenly prison. Paradise is never called prison in the Bible nor is prison ever called paradise.
And no text says that Satan is locked in a prison in heaven.

The Gospel to the "spirits in prison" who were sometime disobedient back to Noah's days according to Peter, how does that shed new light upon souls of the dead in Old Testament times? In other words, the idea of a holding place in the heavenly for the wicked .

1 Peter 3 is very specific about the time - "when Noah was building the ark" -- and 1 Peter 1 points out that it is the "Spirit of Christ" that was active in those OT times -- active and working with the living.

logabe

Aug 28, 2008
thank you!

You are welcome, but that was Jesus using me to give you the revelation and understanding of His Glorious Plan!

What a God! What a Plan!

Logabe