Hell Question

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

DrBubbaLove

Jan 17, 2008
Learn something new every day. So if nothing else this exercise should serve to better understand one's own view and also understand the view of someone opposed. Knew the Church taught that ALL will rise to judgement (with a body) and that the damned go to Hell body and soul. Did not know and never thought to ask what happens to the damned before judgement. As the Church has the saved going to Heaven (most through Purgatory), just found out the damned go straight to Hell (just a soul) immediately upon death and remain there until judgement when they are raised along with everyone else. So even their knee will be made to bow, as part of 'every'.Anyway, Jesus says "And fear not them which kill the body, but are not able to kill the soul: but rather fear him which is able to destroy both soul and body in hell. " which indicates both body and soul are in hell. The opposing view will correctly note the word "destroy" here (while perhaps taking a pass on why there is a body too). We simply note that the word kill or death was not used. So what could destroy mean?Our view handles that as has been mentioned earlier. Death obviously does not mean an end to what is a human in the first case, but in this verse it is not even used a second time. Destruction could indicate, as has been posted earlier, a no going back, an end to an existence that could be recognize as human. That existence is destroyed and what remains, is only that which once was a human. Fire destroys a tree, but there still remains something which was formerly a tree, mostly ashes. The soul of a man is an immortal spirit and apparently our resurrected bodies are immortal as well. But just looking at the soul, God creates it immortal. It is a part of what we are from before our birth. So only God could undo what He has made immortal. Which means if we say a soul is annihilated, then it has to be God DOING it and not some other created force. So even if we want the damned in Hell eventually annihilated, it would have to be God doing the annihilation, not any power of Hell. This we cannot abide. We also say Hell severs no purpose. Only good can serve a purpose and Hell is certainly not good. Hell is the absence of all good, which is Evil. Evil attacks purpose. Purpose also supposes time in order for the purpose to be achieved. Heaven and Hell are concepts that appear outside of time. What sense would it make to raise all the dead with new bodies only to throw the damned body and soul into Hell? Why not just leave them as spirits since their original bodies are already gone? Can understand now why some came up with the idea of soul sleep, as it would be necessary in some other views of the afterlife.

Christina

Apr 10, 2006
(Faithful;33979)
Are you saying the Spirit cannot teach others what is in another persons heart. Didn't Christ know what others were thinking. And in Acts 5 didn't the Spirit reveal to Peter about Sapphira and Annanias?Todays believers who do not have the Spirit fail to acknowledge his power and ability in a believer to show them the hearts and minds of others.Jesus himself taught that those who believed in him who do what he did and even greater things.All believers who come to Christ are drawn and taught by the Father himself.John 6:44-45. Christ makes it quite plain that those who belong to him will receive the Holy Spirit who will teach them and lead them into all truth.John 16:13 and also in 1 John 2:27. I am not taught of man but have and are being taught of God even today. The teachings about there being no eternal torment is a modern day teaching but truth does not change with the centuries it holds fast in every generation. Psalm 12:5-8.It is from men wrong teachings occur but if you love truth you will find it in the word of God by believing the words he speaks.God said the wages of sin is death. If the death did not entail suffering then they could have just put Christ to death. But he suffered unto death.So the wages of sin is death which entails suffering because God would not of allowed him to suffer if not relevant to salvation.Faithful.
Dont read what isnt there faithful I asked if you wanted to hear what Gods Word says if you want to listen to your opinions feel free but Gods Word doesnt support any burning in hell forever it is one verse poorly translated that flies oin the face of all the rest of scripture if your spirit tells you that God says something his word doesnt support then you will have to takle it to him. Im not telling you what to believe but I know what the written word doesnt say.

DrBubbaLove

Jan 17, 2008
If the claim is to be made that Rev 20:10 is poorly translated to mean "for ever and ever" that claim requires support. Ten other times the base Greek wording is used by John in Revelation in the EXACT same phrasing in Greek as in 20:10 then we need to understand why that same phrase is "poorly" translated "for ever and ever" in 20:10 when 10 other times no one here would argue it does not mean "for ever and ever". Why is 20:10 poorly translated from Greek and these other verses are not poor translations?In fact of all the times the single Greek word in question, even when it is not repeated twice in a phrase, is used in the NT, it gets translated ever or for ever or never (as in never ending) most of the time. (used 128 times total, only 40 for world or age). John himself uses it once to mean world/age (Jhn 9:32). And EVERY time, EVERY TIME the word is used in a phrase in the NT and repeated twice, it is understood and translated into English as "for ever and ever". Rev 20;10 uses the greek word in a phrase, repeating it twice. The EXACT SAME Greek phrase is used in Rev 10 times (11 but we gave the opposing side one slide) and many times elsewhere in the NT, where it is always understood to mean "for ever and ever". If there is a claim that Rev 20:10 rendered "for ever and ever" is a poor translation, then it cannot be based on the Greek. IOW the claim is unsupported by the Greek.One could claim other scripture(as some here claim) could support that Rev 20:10 as we have it in Greek is wrong. IOW a copy error of the original Greek, which was one of the options I listed earlier. I would be ok with that, though it is a weaker case than saying the Greek means something else.Again, the case to be made in the belief for or against annihilation cannot be simply scriptural. While I personally believe a much stronger case exists scripturally against the concept, I can kind of see some room there for those wanting to see scripture the other way. As we will apparently never agree on scripture, the case for or against annihilation should be made at another level, that of the Nature of God. Because the belief in annihilation stems from the idea that it is the only way (or actually the best as there are several other options) to understand God as Love in regards to the eternal consequence of the damned. That belief then leads to a natural desire to see that belief supported by scripture. And this is not a new debate. First and second century Christians struggled with these very same thoughts. So, once again, can we switch gears and ask why annihilation or not annihilation impunes God's Love or any aspect of His Nature?

Christina

Apr 10, 2006
Your argument about the language is not reflective of reason as much as your Catholic background. Like in English or any other language a word can have meanings used in multiple but similar ways the word means what it means. So to put any word into perspective it must be considered as first the part of the entire statement then second considered in to the body of work.In this case the sentence does not clarify the meaning so we have to go to the overall work and content No where else in scripture is this concept supported and in fact makes other statement become contradictory So it is this rule of language that gives us our fuller meaning/understanding lastly we look into precedence, if the word was used this way in other verses and we find that it was so in trhis case. This being the inspired Word of God and accepting the fact there or no contradictions in Gods Word we are left with no alternative.If one wants to adhere to the scriptures. I think this site explains it quite wellhttp://www.creation-science-prophecy.com/special1.htmAnd for myself the bottom line is What I know my God to be, he is a loving Father that gave us a free will to CHOOSE to love him or not. He did not do all this to turn around and threaten me that if I did not love him I was going to be tortured forever this fact alone takes away the whole message of Love from free will and negates the entire message of scriptureThis idea is the sole biggest reason many non-believers use to deny God they say we are christains only because we werethreatned with extreme punished. THIS HAS NEVER BEEN GODS MESSAGE TO THE WORLD God wants us of to come to love him of our free will Would any one truly love someone who threatened you with torture if you did not choose him?? An outrageous concept only taught by men Never taught in scripture

Faithful

Jul 13, 2007
(kriss;34019)
Dont read what isnt there faithful I asked if you wanted to hear what Gods Word says if you want to listen to your opinions feel free but Gods Word doesnt support any burning in hell forever it is one verse poorly translated that flies oin the face of all the rest of scripture if your spirit tells you that God says something his word doesnt support then you will have to takle it to him. Im not telling you what to believe but I know what the written word doesnt say.
There is nothing poorly translated. Abraham tells Dives that he cannot escape where he is and he cannot come over to where he and Lazarus are.Dives clearly says he is in pain and suffering. Do you think this is a wrong translation Luke 16:23.And in hell he lift up his eyes, being in torments, and seeth Abraham afar off, and Lazarus in his bosom. 24.And he cried and said, Father Abraham, have mercy on me, and send Lazarus, that he may dip the tip of his finger in water, and cool my tongue; for I am tormented in this flame. 25.But Abraham said, Son, remember that thou in thy lifetime receivedst thy good things, and likewise Lazarus evil things: but now he is comforted, and thou art tormented. 26.And beside all this, between us and you there is a great gulf fixed: so that they which would pass from hence to you cannot; neither can they pass to us, that would come from thence. 27.Then he said, I pray thee therefore, father, that thou wouldest send him to my father's house: 28.For I have five brethren; that he may testify unto them, lest they also come into this place of torment. 29.Abraham saith unto him, They have Moses and the prophets; let them hear them. 30.And he said, Nay, father Abraham: but if one went unto them from the dead, they will repent. 31.And he said unto him, If they hear not Moses and the prophets, neither will they be persuaded, though one rose from the dead.Now I know Gods truth does not change but in the last time that man will bring his own ideas of Gods teachings in. But these teachings only changed recently. But clearly God says he preserves his words in every generation Psalm 12:6-8. So clearly the truth is seen in what was always told not what comes in as new beliefs about the word. So clearly the true teaching of the suffering of hell stands. If Dives was not in a torment which restricted him, why ask for someone to dip their fingers in the water for him. Why not dip his own and cool his tongue?If we keep watering the truth down to suit the Eros teaching of the word then soon we will have a bible changing Gods truth in every way.Faithful

Christina

Apr 10, 2006
faithful you argument isnt even on subject no one said there was no hell or punishment if you read what we said. I said there is no torture for eternity. And all you can do is keep quoting one verse that we have satisfactorly proved is not correct. Believe what you like. But you cant prove its scriptural thats my only point. you seem to more interested in making this personal than hearing what scripture says on it.

Lookin4wardtoHeaven

Jul 17, 2007
Kriss,God bless your heart for sharing the truth in God's word with us. I have been reading this thread for quite sometime, I even went and grabbed my Bible, ( my roadmap on this Christian journey) ... after praying first, I always make it a practice to pray for enlightenment in His Word. I :read: :study:and searched this out for myself. It all came clear what you posted here... Thank you for this Bible study! :pray3: and let God guide your thoughts .

DrBubbaLove

Jan 17, 2008
(kriss;34041)
Your argument about the language is not reflective of reason as much as your Catholic background. Like in English or any other language a word can have meanings used in multiple but similar ways the word means what it means. So to put any word into perspective it must be considered as first the part of the entire statement then second considered in to the body of work.In this case the sentence does not clarify the meaning so we have to go to the overall work and content No where else in scripture is this concept supported and in fact makes other statement become contradictory So it is this rule of language that gives us our fuller meaning/understanding lastly we look into precedence, if the word was used this way in other verses and we find that it was so in trhis case. This being the inspired Word of God and accepting the fact there or no contradictions in Gods Word we are left with no alternative.If one wants to adhere to the scriptures. I think this site explains it quite wellhttp://www.creation-science-prophecy.com/special1.htm
First of all this is not a "Catholic" concept. The first Christians in the first 3 centuries argued about this very subject. The ones taught by the Apostles themselves argued in favor of what later became the orthodox Christian position, which is also still the Catholic position today, and is still held by many non-Catholic Christians today. So I do not have to look at this from a Catholic perspective, and as a convert have seen it from both sides.Secondly this is not a matter of a single Greek word. You are correct, the single word has several meanings including; ever, eternal, never ending and (the one you desire here) age. But in the NT and at least 10 times in Revelation, EVERY TIME it is used in a phrase with this word being repeated twice, it is ALWAYS, ALWAYS translated and understood to mean "for ever and ever." So the question here cannot be what does (or can) this Greek word mean in Rev 20:10. The question is why we find that Greek word twice in a phrase here that EVERYWHERE else we allow to be translated as "for ever and ever" without question or exception. It is not like we cannot find other instances where the Greek word is used only once in a sentence and IT DOES get translated world or age. Some times it does and sometimes it still means never ending. So yes, it can mean a limited time, an age. But that usage is never associated with a phrase where the word gets repeated twice. So it cannot be an issue here in 20:10 of a poor choice of definitions/meaning of the single word. It is used here twice in a phrase, in the exact manner that ALWAYS gets translated elsewhere as "for ever and ever." Just a suggestion, but a better claim (though admittedly weaker position) for your side is to say; John made a mistake here, or either intentionally lied/obscured the meaning or someone later changed what John originally wrote (presumably then to support the orthodox postion on Hell). The argument that the meaning of the verse should be different based on one possible meaning of the single word fails when we look at how the same Greek phrase is used everywhere else in the NT.Look it up for yourselves here if you doubt me on this. Enter g165 in the search box (g for Greek). You will have to read 128 examples but can easily be done in less than 30 minutes, longer if you want to look at every verse in Greek.http://www.blueletterbible.org/
And for myself the bottom line is What I know my God to be, he is a loving Father that gave us a free will to CHOOSE to love him or not. He did not do all this to turn around and threaten me that if I did not love him I was going to be tortured forever this fact alone takes away the whole message of Love from free will and negates the entire message of scriptureThis idea is the sole biggest reason many non-believers use to deny God they say we are christains only because we werethreatned with extreme punished. THIS HAS NEVER BEEN GODS MESSAGE TO THE WORLD God wants us of to come to love him of our free will Would any one truly love someone who threatened you with torture if you did not choose him?? An outrageous concept only taught by men Never taught in scripture
Is it outrageous for you to tell a child not to play in the street less they get run over and killed? If they reject your warning and get killed should we see that as your fault? Did you kill them? Do we think you love them less because they got themself killed? Was warning them not an act of Love?God is not punishing people in Hell. Hell is the RESULT of rejecting God in this life and He WARNS us of that result. So while you are correct that God does not punish people or torment them eternally in Hell, it does not follow that the eternal torment in Hell of the damned does not exist. Nor if it does that it must be an act of God. It is the result of an individuals action against God. Just like the kid getting runover because they did not listen to us did not die as a result of our action. They freely choose to run in the street in spite of getting the warning of the consequence, and suffer the consequence of that CHOICE.You are correct that God does not want us to love Him out of fear of Hell. That is an example of the abuse of a teaching on Hell. It does not follow that people should not fear Hell. Being in Hell is something to be feared. But loving God is not something we are asked to do out of fear. You are also correct that the Church's teachings on Hell would detract from the Gospel message of Love IF the teaching were abused in making the FEAR of Hell the cause for our turning to God. Again abuse does not make the teaching false, nor does abuse and it's consequences correctly represent the Church's teaching. Am not denying that such fear has been used both in the Church and outside it. Teach kids in the Church today and can tell you it is not part of that curriculum, but have heard horror stories from cradle Catholics, so I know it has occurred in the past. In my experience Bishops keep a pretty close watch over what is being taught in Parishes and schools today. Have personally experienced the abuse of this teaching in Protestant Churches as a child. Abuse is wrong, but it does not follow that the teaching being abused is wrong.

bullfighter

Jan 21, 2008
could torment be with out a body ,aimlessly moving about with no one to bouther..stuck with memory and guilt ,the falling angels go there and all the sinfull charactor that was part of a humun soul

Christina

Apr 10, 2006
We do not know what torment is. It could be being kept from the GodIf one is in spirit they are privy to the truth of who God is To know this and not be in this love could be called torment To perhaps view heaven heaven and not be able to partake of it could be called torment

EzrahEl21

Feb 13, 2008
I Was Told Once That Hell Was A State Of Mind . Why You Say . Once The Body Is Dead It Has No Feeling , The Soul Does Not Burn , The Spirit Does Not Burn . Just A Though :study:

DrBubbaLove

Jan 17, 2008
The orthodox position has always been that ALL are resurrected, a body and soul re-united before the Judge. As was mentioned earlier, Jesus is quoted as saying body and soul are thrown into Hell.

EzrahEl21

Feb 13, 2008
(DrBubbaLove;35774)
The orthodox position has always been that ALL are resurrected, a body and soul re-united before the Judge. As was mentioned earlier, Jesus is quoted as saying body and soul are thrown into Hell.
Thank's But The Soul Does Not Burn , The Spirit Does Not Burn . Nothing Changes . :study:

Thunder1

Dec 12, 2007
Main thing should be that you receive Jesus Christ as your Saviour that you don't need to go to hell. There is no way back, you have been given opportunity to receive Jesus as your saviour NOW. When you are in hell, it's too late.

DrBubbaLove

Jan 17, 2008
I think if one believes in an eternity in Hell for the damned, then it must be admitted a lot changes in the existence of a person in Hell. C S Lewis admits as much when speaking of there really not "being" a human life any more, only something that was once a human life - it is what "remains".

Nov 8, 2007
"If" there is such a thing as an eternal Hell, then it would Contradict John 3:16. Those who Believe in Him have Everlasting Life in Heaven, those who reject or don't accept him PERISH. Perish meaning the Second Death. The First Death is the Death of the Body, separated from Your Loved ones from Earth. The Second Death is death of the Soul, eternal separation from The Lord Jesus Christ. Hell and Death will cease to ExistRevelation 20:1414And death and hell were cast into the lake of fire. This is the second death.No matter how Long you the Judged and Satan burn in this Lake of Fire, it will cease to exist. It can burn them for billions of years, but one day it will cease to exist. Thus eternal separation or the Second Death(Death of the Soul and Spirit).

EzrahEl21

Feb 13, 2008
(Unorthodox Christian;35830)
"If" there is such a thing as an eternal Hell, then it would Contradict John 3:16. Those who Believe in Him have Everlasting Life in Heaven, those who reject or don't accept him PERISH. Perish meaning the Second Death. The First Death is the Death of the Body, separated from Your Loved ones from Earth. The Second Death is death of the Soul, eternal separation from The Lord Jesus Christ. Hell and Death will cease to ExistRevelation 20:1414And death and hell were cast into the lake of fire. This is the second death.No matter how Long you the Judged and Satan burn in this Lake of Fire, it will cease to exist. It can burn them for billions of years, but one day it will cease to exist. Thus eternal separation or the Second Death(Death of the Soul and Spirit).
Thank You For Your AnswerCheck This Out Ok Do The Religious Scholars Really Know Where Hell Is ? They don't know where hell is . They don't even know if there is A such place as Hell that really exist . They can't tell me where Hell is . They can't even decide where Hell is . Which one it it ? Is it the Lake Of Fire Revelation 20;10 And I Quote ; And the devil that deceived them was cast into the Lake of fire and brimstone where the beast and the false prophet are . and shall be tormented day and night forever and ever , Or The Pit Revelation 11;7 And I Quote ; And when they shall have finished their testimony . the beast that ascendeth out of the bottomless pit shall make war against them , and shall overcome them and kill them , And How Did The Pit Get There ? How Did A Big Place Of Fire Get Beneath Us ? Did God Create It Down There ? ( Why is it that scientist haven't discovered it yet being they have dug holes straight down to the center of the earth ? ) Why is it that you can't find Hell if it really is A place that exists ? Scientist have listen to the ground . They have all kinds of Advanced Technical Equipment with computers . Have they heard Cracking Fire ? No !!! Why Not ? Because Hell Is A State Of Mind . It Is What You Make It . It Exist With You , For Each One Will Pattern His Or Her Hell According To What He / She Believes Hell Is . They don't hear anybody down there Screaming and Hollering or any Torturing . So What Makes You Believe That There Is Some Place '' Down There '' That You Will Go If You Are A Sinner Where There Is Fire And Demons ? The Bible ? Let's Be FoReal !!! There Is Nothing In The Bible That Has Been Proven To Be Facts Yet , You Can't Even Prove That The Characters In Your Bible Really Exists , Let Alone A Place Called Hell ! The Hell That Your Preacher , Teachers , Pastors , Rabbis , Imaams , And Sheikhs Preach To You About Is Another Trick To Keep You Trapped Under Religion , Revelation 19;20 ( In Aramic ) And I Quote ; And the beast was taken , And with him the lying prophet who with his hand made sign which he used to lead many into darkness , Those who took the mark of the beast and those who prostrated to his image . Both of them were cast alive into the lake of fire which is burning with Sulfur . Hell Isn't Down There . They Don't Hear It . And Don't Be Deceived Into Thinking That It Does . :study:

Nov 8, 2007
How can I prove that the People in my Bible exist? Do a Research on the Following. The Dead Sea Scrolls, The Mesoretic Texts, the Septuagint aka Greek Text, Latin Vulgate, Textus Receptus, then the Kings James Version. All line up with one another.The LAKE OF FIRE is not Hell, HELL AND DEATH are thrown into it, so it will no longer cease one day. How do I know my God is Real? Typical question of an Atheist/Satanist, cause I talk to him. AMEN!Do me a Favor and Look up a Man Named William Marrion Branham. You will find many sites taking his words outta context but there is one important teaching he left me. The 7 Church AgesEphesus(Paul)Smyrnia(Iraneus)Pergamos(St. Martin)Thyatira(Columbo)Sardis(Martin Luther)Philadelphia(John Wesley)Laodicea(William Marrion Branham)Study Iraneus most Importantly, People question the Existence of Jesus Christ or His Disciples. Iraneus is in History, he's a Disciple of a man named Poly Carp, Poly Carp was a Disciple of John the REVELATOR. History says it Buddy.God Bless you in the Name of the Lord Jesus Christ.No contention here, Just reasoning. Isaiah 1:18

EzrahEl21

Feb 13, 2008
(Unorthodox Christian;35843)
How can I prove that the People in my Bible exist? Do a Research on the Following. The Dead Sea Scrolls, The Mesoretic Texts, the Septuagint aka Greek Text, Latin Vulgate, Textus Receptus, then the Kings James Version. All line up with one another.The LAKE OF FIRE is not Hell, HELL AND DEATH are thrown into it, so it will no longer cease one day. How do I know my God is Real? Typical question of an Atheist/Satanist, cause I talk to him. AMEN!Do me a Favor and Look up a Man Named William Marrion Branham. You will find many sites taking his words outta context but there is one important teaching he left me. The 7 Church AgesEphesus(Paul)Smyrnia(Iraneus)Pergamos(St. Martin)Thyatira(Columbo)Sardis(Martin Luther)Philadelphia(John Wesley)Laodicea(William Marrion Branham)Study Iraneus most Importantly, People question the Existence of Jesus Christ or His Disciples. Iraneus is in History, he's a Disciple of a man named Poly Carp, Poly Carp was a Disciple of John the REVELATOR. History says it Buddy.God Bless you in the Name of the Lord Jesus Christ.No contention here, Just reasoning. Isaiah 1:18
Relax We're Only Discussing Things Here , I'm Not Trying To Convert You Ok . It's Funny How Christian Feel Everything Good Happen God Did It , And Everything Bad Happen The Devil Did It . One Would Think God And The Devil Need Each Other To Exist . Researching / Reading Those Books Will Not Prove The Existed Of Hell , And You And I Both Know This . :study:

Nov 8, 2007
AMEN, the Only thing the Lord requires us to do Is believe his Everyword. Whether you understand it or not.
smile.gif
Do I believe in a literal parting of the Red Sea? Of CourseJonah in the Belly of a whale 3 days? SureJesus Christ coming back from the Day. YupBut Are you a Believer in Christ? Or just a theologian?