Help leading a friend to Christ

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

WhiteKnuckle

Mar 29, 2009
My best friend has been on a downward spiral for the past 10 years. I wont go into any of it.

Long story short, He sent me a text the other day. He told me he needed God in his life and asked how he could do that. I told him to tell God that same thing. I said for him to pray and tell God everything and ask for his help.

Where do I go from here? I don't want to overwhelm him and I'm not sure how to start the basics. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Disciple

Soldiers United 4 Christ
Feb 3, 2011
Dallas Tx
let him know what you know, just let the holy Spirit give you the words.. also let him talk and ask questions, just hang out with him and he'll come to you and the words and answers will to.

Robbie

Jan 4, 2011
Huntington Beeach
Looking back the people that pushed me away were those that tried to assume a position over me... especially if they weren't willing to try to listen and understand me or seemed judgmental and preachy... and especially if the judgments and preaching were based on assumptions... I've met a lot of christians that do that... you'll say something and then they'll start preaching at you about something that's not even relevant to what you said... like they already made up their mind what they're gonna say... and they're not listening to anything you're saying... they're just waiting for you to stop talking so they can start preaching... haha.. so I would say LISTEN to what they have to say... and if they have a question... try and remember where they're at... what it was like when you were first a christian... and meet them there...

The people that I felt helped me the most were those that treated me as an equal and tried to relate to where I was in my walk and meet me there instead of treating me like I was some stupid rookie because I wasn't where they were at even though they had been christian for like 500 times longer than I had... funny thing was looking back I might not have memorized the book yet but I had it more figured out because I had already realized I didn't want to be a judgmental hypocrite... haha... all though I have to admit they did rub off on me a fair bit... still trying to unlearn every bit of leaven I got from them... and still trying to mimic the people I've known in my walk that seemed to have the most grace and love... and looking back I never felt like those people preached at me... only like they accepted, did their best to understand, and most importantly loved me.

Angelina

Prayer Warrior
Staff member
Admin
Feb 4, 2011
New Zealand
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
New Zealand
Amen to all!

That's just awesome WK...What a blessing, Praise the Lord! :lol:

My advice is just be there for him... "put your self in his shoes" a while as you listen to what he says....just listen and go from there. The Holy Spirit will give you what you need and when he asks a question, answer him with the help of the HS. Treat him just like a brother and go that extra mile.

woohoo1298.gif
Glory!

timf

Jan 1, 2011
Where do I go from here? I don't want to overwhelm him and I'm not sure how to start the basics. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

You might want to share with him that painful brokenness is sometimes used by God to get our attention. Even David who had a "heart after God" and wrote some of the most beautiful Psalms abandoned the Lord and got so tangled up in the world that he took another man's wife and then had the man killed and still didn't think he had done anything wrong. God had to send a prophet to him to tell him a story and he still didn't get it. Only when Nathan told him, "You are that man" did David finally realize how far he had come from God.

Psalm 51 was written by David after he came to realize his sin. It remains today a powerful testimony to God's forgiveness and redemption.

When we are broken, we often become open to hearing truth. The truth is that we are all sinners who deserve death. God sent us Jesus so that we could have life. It is when we trust in Jesus that we can receive this new life.

The Old Testament is mostly the history of Israel and the Epistles are mostly letters to churches. Reading the Gospels can be good for someone who is starting to thirst for truth. Like Peter said, "You have the words of life, where else would we go?"

justaname

Disciple of Jesus Christ
Mar 14, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Awesome. Take it to the Father and give thanks in prayer. Ask for guidance for both of ya. Be the love of Christ. Be an excellent listener, and an honest answerer.

aspen

“"The harvest is plentiful but the workers are few
Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
My best friend has been on a downward spiral for the past 10 years. I wont go into any of it.

Long story short, He sent me a text the other day. He told me he needed God in his life and asked how he could do that. I told him to tell God that same thing. I said for him to pray and tell God everything and ask for his help.

You share your most intimate relationship (your saving relationship with Christ) by engaging in a strong relationship with others. This is why witnessing to strangers rarely works. Witness always, use words if necessary.

Foreigner

Apr 14, 2010
You share your most intimate relationship (your saving relationship with Christ) by engaging in a strong relationship with others.

-- Unfortunately, hell is full of people who had very strong friendships with Christians, but those Christians never told them that what they were doing was a sin that would eventually lead to hell if they didn't turn away from it.

The Christian didn't want to appear that they were judging so they never told them that Jesus loves that sinner as much as he loves them, and that that Christian was just as lost condemned in his sin until he gave his life to Christ.

They would rather hope that the "example" they set of Christ will be enough, forgetting that Christ Himself called for us to share His gospel.

Hate to break it to you, but living a "saving relationship with Christ" means proactively trying to save someone.

Peter, Paul, James, etc. all went out and said what Jesus expected, risking more than just alienating a friend. Why? Because that is what God calls us to do.

Love is NOT continually letting someone drive towards a fast-approaching cliff in hopes that they will see your hands over your eyes and the scared look on your face.

And no, that doesn't mean you approach them, yell "sinner!" and tell them if they don't change right now that all is lost.

I was saved because a friend who I rejected because he would no longer do the things I liked because he became a Christian, didn't just say, "I love you" and "Jesus loves you."

He would not go places that I went to that were dens of sin, and no longer would do many of the "fun" things that I would do because he knew them to be wrong.

But he would still come see me. Ask if he could share God with me, tell me how God changed his life so he no longer needed that sin, and eventually ended up - because of his proactivity - leading me to Christ.

If he would have done solely what you advocate, I would have wondered why I needed to bother becoming a Christian.

This is why witnessing to strangers rarely works.

-- Yet people have gone into countries they have never visited before, witnessing to people they have never seen before, and thousands end up coming to Christ.

What you are saying is that Christ was wrong when he said to, "Preach the Gospel to all nations."

I have been part of ministries that head into the inner cities and Central American countries on mission trips to witness to "strangers."

Returning 3-6-9-12 months later it is heartening to see those people we had never seen before our last visit, growing in Jesus, witnessing to others, getting family members saved, starting churches of their own.

Witnessing out of love, with groundwork laid by sincere prayer changes peoples lives, in family, in friends, AND strangers.

Just "being their good friend" and "not letting them feel judged" is not even the bare minimum God calls us to do.

veteran

Aug 6, 2010
Southeast USA

Pray for and WITH him most of all.

Take him to Church with you if you can, so he can 'feel' what's it's like to fellowship with believers on The Saviour.

The unsaved know we believers aren't perfect, but they also know there's something 'inside' us that gives us peace and strength; they feel it within us because The Holy Spirit cannot be hidden. That's why our direct personal fellowship with someone in that situation is very important to help them. That how it begins, by fellowship with believers that set good examples.

Foreigner

Apr 14, 2010
There's a difference between coming to Christ and coming to a religion that uses the name of Christ...

-- I agree completely.

It was tragic the way the Catholic church used their convert-by-force methods across Mexico, Central America, and South America.

Robbie

Jan 4, 2011
Huntington Beeach
I actually have no experience with the Catholic church so I wasn't even talking about that nor was I really talking about any particular labeled division of christianity... but more so just the principle itself...

Foreigner

Apr 14, 2010
So what you are saying is that you really had nothing particularly constructive to add to the conversation.

Because throwing in "There's a difference between coming to Christ and coming to a religion that uses the name of Christ..." after someone makes a point, and then saying it has nothing to do with the specifics we are discussing sure makes it seem that way.

WhiteKnuckle

Mar 29, 2009
We've decided to have some sort of Bible study, and do a little church hopping.

It's funny, we used to bar hop, now we're church hopping. ROFLOL! :lol:

Foreigner

Apr 14, 2010
So what you're saying is the only way it was constructive is if I singled out Catholics?

-- No. I am saying you would have been 'constructive' if you would have provided substance instead of a drive-by generalization .