Heresy: Protestant Style

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Wrangler

Feb 14, 2021
Shining City on a Hill
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The word heresy is thrown around so much as the worst that can be said about another, even Pastor Steve Cioccolanti from Australia said Christians say it over all manner of doctrinal differences. So, he provided the best standard of something that is heresy; that which keeps one from salvation.

Otherwise, every denomination is heretical to the doctrines of ones own denomination, right?

Wrangler

Feb 14, 2021
Shining City on a Hill
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Anyone read "When Jesus Became God?" It explains how Arians and trinitarians took turns in power, calling the other side heretics.

DNB

Dec 8, 2019
Toronto
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
The word heresy is thrown around so much as the worst that can be said about another, even Pastor Steve Cioccolanti from Australia said Christians say it over all manner of doctrinal differences. So, he provided the best standard of something that is heresy; that which keeps one from salvation.

Otherwise, every denomination is heretical to the doctrines of ones own denomination, right?
Yes, that's right, ...and, of course, it stands to reason. If one is truly convicted of their exegesis, which we hope that they are, then they must conclude that a contrarian view is either heretical, or consequential. I've said the same thing to anyone who has a 'to each his own' attitude, that it can only mean that you lack zeal or understanding of your position.

But, to your point, since invariably there will always be controversy, we have to limit our accusations of heresy to those doctrines that are more mortal, rather than venial (if I may use Catholic terminology). But, of course, we also have the concepts of orthodoxy and heterodoxy, which may be preferred as they allude lesser to one's salvation, than to their exegesis.

Reactions: Wrangler

2nd Timothy Group

Nov 8, 2020
Cashmere
www.youtube.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Otherwise, every denomination is heretical to the doctrines of one's own denomination, right?

I've never stepped foot into any church that ever taught the Truth. The Gospel of Christ is not understood and there is virtually no fear of the Lord.

Wrangler

Feb 14, 2021
Shining City on a Hill
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
If one is truly convicted of their exegesis, which we hope that they are, then they must conclude that a contrarian view is either heretical, or consequential. I've said the same thing to anyone who has a 'to each his own' attitude, that it can only mean that you lack zeal or understanding of your position.

Interesting observation.

I do believe in 'to each his own' to the point of doing our part to keep the peace. One thing I passionately hate are proselyters, who are forceful in their efforts, as opposed to the less aggressive evangelics work. One thing that troubles me also is the so called 'Social Gospel.'

DNB

Dec 8, 2019
Toronto
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Interesting observation.

I do believe in 'to each his own' to the point of doing our part to keep the peace. One thing I passionately hate are proselyters, who are forceful in their efforts, as opposed to the less aggressive evangelics work. One thing that troubles me also is the so called 'Social Gospel.'
Yes, but in such a situation, desire to keep the peace, one may still regard the other as misguided and heretical, despite refraining from vocalizing it. At least it shows that they are convinced of their views, and understand the controversy.

Agreed that we all abhor the over-aggressive evangelical tactics used by some, ...to the point that we may even question their own understanding or conviction of their position - why impose it forcefully when your wisdom should speak for itself?

Any type of secular affinity with the Christian message (Social or Liberty Gospel), does seem rather misguided and antithetical to the Gospel message (do not store one's treasure on earth, or expect reform on this planet).

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

By the same token, I've come to conclude that we will find our unity in Christ alone, and not in all manner of doctrines. I think that by coming to the same trust in Jesus, and humility over ourselves, we would be united, and all the differences would work themselves out.

Much love!

Reactions: Wrangler