Heresy

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Graceismine

Dec 16, 2012
New Zealand
Today's Top Heretical Lineup in the Church has These Themes

Heresies about Revelation — Teachings that distort, deny, or add to Scripture by false claims to an apostolic or prophetic authority.

Heresies about God — Teachings that promote false gods or distort the true nature of God.

Heresies about Man— Teaching that we are everything that Jesus is and we have power and authority equal to or greater than His.

Heresies about Christ — Denials of His unique Lordship; His genuine humanity, and deity which is his true eternal identity, and his physical resurrection.

Heresies about Salvation —Denying the gospel which is centered on the atonement from Christ's death on the cross and his work for our salvation. Instead it is found in hell where he furthered suffered.

Heresies of Practice —Teaching legalism, putting people under the OT law or man made ones as if they are biblical and mandatory in practice.

The word heresy (Greek hairesis) is used several different ways in the NT. It is used to describe the Sadducees and Pharisees in their false teaching, and some professing Christ (Acts 5:17, 15:5, 24:14, 28:22). The word heresy is used to describe a division or schism within the body of Christ that harms it and that departs from sound doctrine (1Cor. 11:19; Gal. 5:20). It is used of doctrinal errors brought into the Christian Church by false teachers and false prophets among it (2 Pet. 2:1-3).

HERESY is

Divisive- It has people separate from the apostles' teachings to practice to another's.

Denying- It denies some essential truth that is important for a complete balanced view.

Self Defining- It Avoids explaining itself and will define itself by its own standards, not God's.

Distorting- It distorts the actual meaning in Scripture but will use the Scripture as proof for its interpretation.

Departing- It departs from the context of the passage and is no longer a promotion of the truth as it was written.

Deleting- It take away from the authority of Scripture and will often exalt a proponent's fresh word or revelation above it.

Diabolical - It is diabolical in its intent to deceive an individual, a group of people, or a local church by promising things God did not. (Eph.4:14-16).

Devilish- It can be traced to the Father of Lies who is either personally involved or the person promoting it is operating from pride under the control of Satan's kingdom. The person can consciously know when they are teaching it or not know he is being used to promote it.

Heresy begets heresy. It will birth more false teaching and teachers as children from a parent. It may not be noticeably harmful at first until it matures. Given enough time it can be just as damaging as cancer which begins with a single cell then eventually affects the whole body. Speaking of false teaching, Paul says, "a little leaven leavens the whole lump." Error dies a slow death. It must be dealt with swiftly as well as correctly or its cancer will spread like gangrene. As Jesus said to the Pharisees: they find a convert and make them twice the son of hell as they are.

The only thing that counters these is discernment. Discernment means one is in pursuit of the truth and no one should hinder ones personal inquiries

http://www.letusreason.org/Pent38.htm

Angelina

Prayer Warrior
Staff member
Admin
Feb 4, 2011
New Zealand
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
New Zealand
Amen!

The only thing that counters these is discernment. Discernment means one is in pursuit of the truth and no one should hinder ones personal inquiries
Praise God for the the gift of discernment - I would like to nail down some things that need to be addressed yet have just been accepted as truth because it is what has always been believed - :)

1 John 4:1
Beloved, do not believe every spirit, but test the spirits, whether they are of God; because many false prophets have gone out into the world.

Blessings/Shalom.

jiggyfly

Nov 27, 2009
North Carolina
Angelina said:
Amen!

Praise God for the gift of discernment - I would like to nail down some things that need to be addressed yet have just been accepted as truth because it is what has always been believed - :)

Beloved, do not believe every spirit, but test the spirits, whether they are of God; because many false prophets have gone out into the world.

Blessings/Shalom.
is this gift expressed in the scriptures? If so, where and what does it employ?

jeremiah1five

Jan 30, 2013
Texas, USA
Graceismine said:

Heresies about Revelation — Teachings that distort, deny, or add to Scripture by false claims to an apostolic or prophetic authority.

Heresies about God — Teachings that promote false gods or distort the true nature of God.

Heresies about Man— Teaching that we are everything that Jesus is and we have power and authority equal to or greater than His.

Heresies about Christ — Denials of His unique Lordship; His genuine humanity, and deity which is his true eternal identity, and his physical resurrection.

Heresies about Salvation —Denying the gospel which is centered on the atonement from Christ's death on the cross and his work for our salvation. Instead it is found in hell where he furthered suffered.

Heresies of Practice —Teaching legalism, putting people under the OT law or man made ones as if they are biblical and mandatory in practice.

The word heresy (Greek hairesis) is used several different ways in the NT. It is used to describe the Sadducees and Pharisees in their false teaching, and some professing Christ (Acts 5:17, 15:5, 24:14, 28:22). The word heresy is used to describe a division or schism within the body of Christ that harms it and that departs from sound doctrine (1Cor. 11:19; Gal. 5:20). It is used of doctrinal errors brought into the Christian Church by false teachers and false prophets among it (2 Pet. 2:1-3).

HERESY is

Divisive- It has people separate from the apostles' teachings to practice to another's.

Denying- It denies some essential truth that is important for a complete balanced view.

Self Defining- It Avoids explaining itself and will define itself by its own standards, not God's.

Distorting- It distorts the actual meaning in Scripture but will use the Scripture as proof for its interpretation.

Departing- It departs from the context of the passage and is no longer a promotion of the truth as it was written.

Deleting- It take away from the authority of Scripture and will often exalt a proponent's fresh word or revelation above it.

Diabolical - It is diabolical in its intent to deceive an individual, a group of people, or a local church by promising things God did not. (Eph.4:14-16).

Devilish- It can be traced to the Father of Lies who is either personally involved or the person promoting it is operating from pride under the control of Satan's kingdom. The person can consciously know when they are teaching it or not know he is being used to promote it.

Heresy begets heresy. It will birth more false teaching and teachers as children from a parent. It may not be noticeably harmful at first until it matures. Given enough time it can be just as damaging as cancer which begins with a single cell then eventually affects the whole body. Speaking of false teaching, Paul says, "a little leaven leavens the whole lump." Error dies a slow death. It must be dealt with swiftly as well as correctly or its cancer will spread like gangrene. As Jesus said to the Pharisees: they find a convert and make them twice the son of hell as they are.

The Biblical definition of "heresy" is found in the Bible and is defined as follows:

Greek word: αἵρεσις
Transliteration: [SIZE=1.1em]hairesis[/SIZE]

Definition and Meaning:
[Strong's #139] from [#138] (haireomai); properly a choice, i.e. (special) a party or (abstract) disunion.

Three senses: properly, special, and abstract. The context reveals its use.

It is found 9 times in the New Testament and is distributed as "sect" 5 times, and "heresy" 4 times.

It is understood properly in this manner:
Let's say Peter is speaking to the people about what he witnessed on the Mount of Transfiguration. Now, we know what is testified for we have the narrative in Scripture.
Someone from the crowd stands us and says, "Wait a minute! That's not what happen. This is what happen..." and proceeds to describe his version of events that is different from Peter's testimony. Now, we know that Peter's version is the correct version for he was there with John and Jesus. But what this other person has done in giving his testimony of events is introduce a different version to the mind of the people in general, and to believers specifically. He has introduced a "choice" to the mind of the believer. Is it Peter's version, or this other person's version. This is heresy. It is something that is "other than" what is the authorized or truthful version. And it is mainly associated with doctrine. It is a division through means of "choice" and presents a choice to those who are the recipients of God's truth.

Schism [Greek: schisma] is division also, but it refers to division through means of lack of love. Examples: "Oh, I can't believe sister so-so is wearing that awful hat to church today. She looks very..." or "Here comes pastor again making a pitch for more tithes. He always wants my money..." or "Brother so-so always raises his hand in bible study, or is always first in line to volunteer. he's such a kiss-..." and other methods of communicating a lack of love for the brethren.

Heresy is doctrinal. It is a teaching that presents an "other" to the mind of the believer. And, as we all hopefully know, there is only ONE truth to the Word of God. God says what He means, and means what He says. ONE truth, but many applications. This is why it is important to get your doctrine in order, to see as God sees, and to know what He means. I have seen many application of truth presented as the truth itself, but this is error. There is only ONE truth to any passage of Scripture in the Bible. We must learn the ONE authoritative version in order that we may not erect false gods before us.

Angelina

Prayer Warrior
Staff member
Admin
Feb 4, 2011
New Zealand
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
New Zealand
My quote:
Amen!
Praise God for the gift of discernment - I would like to nail down some things that need to be addressed yet have just been accepted as truth because it is what has always been believed -
Blessings/Shalom.
Jiggy
is this gift expressed in the scriptures? If so, where and what does it employ?
Hey Jiggy...

Malachi 3:18
Then you shall again discern Between the righteous and the wicked, Between one who serves God And one who does not serve Him.

1 Corinthians 2:14
But the natural man does not receive the things of the Spirit of God, for they are foolishness to him; nor can he know them, because they are spiritually discerned.

1 Corinthians 12:10,
10 to another the working of miracles, to another prophecy, to another discerning of spirits, to another different kinds of tongues, to another the interpretation of tongues.

Hebrews 4:12
12 For the word of God is living and powerful, and sharper than any two-edged sword, piercing even to the division of soul and spirit, and of joints and marrow, and is a discerner of the thoughts and intents of the heart.

Hebrews 5:14,
14 But solid food belongs to those who are of full age, that is, those who by reason of use have their senses exercised to discern both good and evil.

Blessings!!!

jiggyfly

Nov 27, 2009
North Carolina
Angelina said:
My quote:

Jiggy

Hey Jiggy...

Malachi 3:18
Then you shall again discern Between the righteous and the wicked, Between one who serves God And one who does not serve Him.

1 Corinthians 2:14
But the natural man does not receive the things of the Spirit of God, for they are foolishness to him; nor can he know them, because they are spiritually discerned.

1 Corinthians 12:10,
10 to another the working of miracles, to another prophecy, to another discerning of spirits, to another different kinds of tongues, to another the interpretation of tongues.

Hebrews 4:12
12 For the word of God is living and powerful, and sharper than any two-edged sword, piercing even to the division of soul and spirit, and of joints and marrow, and is a discerner of the thoughts and intents of the heart.

Hebrews 5:14,
14 But solid food belongs to those who are of full age, that is, those who by reason of use have their senses exercised to discern both good and evil.

Blessings!!!
Do you think that the various scriptures you listed all refer to the same gift?
I am curious at what you believe the spiritual gift of discerning of spirits is all about.

jiggyfly

Nov 27, 2009
North Carolina
Because I think many seem to confuse the spiritual gift of discerning of spirits with other types of discernment and there seems to be confusion about the dynamics of the gift of discerning of spirits.

Angelina

Prayer Warrior
Staff member
Admin
Feb 4, 2011
New Zealand
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
New Zealand
Do you think that the various scriptures you listed all refer to the same gift?
I am curious at what you believe the spiritual gift of discerning of spirits is all about
Hi jiggy!....

I will decline your kind offer to give an explanation of my understanding of the gift of "discerning of spirits" jiggy as I have discussed this area on various threads already :) and to be honest...I do not feel like it because I don't really want an argument with you - cos i love ya...

Shalom!

jiggyfly

Nov 27, 2009
North Carolina
Angelina said:
Hi jiggy!....

I will decline your kind offer to give an explanation of my understanding of the gift of "discerning of spirits" jiggy as I have discussed this area on various threads already :) and to be honest...I do not feel like it because I don't really want an argument with you - cos i love ya...

Shalom!
Fair enough, but it is a shame that it would have to be an argument rather than a change in thinking.

Alanforchrist

Dec 25, 2007
Graceismine said:

HERESY is

So you are saying you are in heresy about man's authority and likeness to Jesus.
And Jesus needing to go to hell and rise again in order to compleate salvation.

Graceismine

Dec 16, 2012
New Zealand
Alanforchrist
So you are saying you are in heresy about man's authority and likeness to Jesus.
And Jesus needing to go to hell and rise again in order to compleate salvation
I don't know why you are saying that in terms of the quote. I must be missing something, could you elaborate please. :)

aspen

“"The harvest is plentiful but the workers are few
Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I think heresy is much more insidious - dualism; doctrinal purity at the expenses of love; substituting Americanism for Christianity

IAmAWitness

Nov 7, 2012
Graceismine said:

"Denials of His unique Lordship; His genuine humanity, and deity which is his true eternal identity, and his physical resurrection."

Why do you feel the anything other than the Trinity is heresy? You don't get to pick, and nor do millions of other Trinitarians get to pick and choose for the rest of us who Yeshua was.

"Teaching legalism, putting people under the OT law or man made ones as if they are biblical and mandatory in practice."

If you are teaching anything other than the commandments, i.e. non-commandments, you are preaching Satanism but claiming you're following Yeshua. If you are saying we don't have rules to obey, that is from Satan starting from day one in the Garden of Eden, "Hath God really said?" Yes, God really did say so, and if you do, you will burn in Hell with all the other liars.

"Heresy begets heresy. It will birth more false teaching and teachers as children from a parent."

This is just some sort of slippery-slope fallacy variation and I don't care to go any further. Overall, very unimpressive, I give you 0.2 out of 5.0 stars.