HILLSONG

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hi Marksman,
Can I ask you something....are you referring to just one church ‘ Hillsong ‘ In Australia that is pastored by Brian Houston, or all of the Hillsong churches.....I was under the impression that a cult was an isolated group, very much kept themselves as a unit run by one person......yet from the original Hillsong church, the church planted other churches , we have some in the UK. These churches are led by different pastors - so it’s not universally run by Brian Houston himself.........they tend to follow the charismatic and Pentecostal churches , which I would also class as movements, not cults -
Rita
Hi RIta, I was always under the impression that Hillsong is an A.O.G. Don't quote me on that but, I'd say all the pastors teach differently perhaps? And, some might be bordering on quite worldly.

R

Rita

Hi RIta, I was always under the impression that Hillsong is an A.O.G. Don't quote me on that but, I'd say all the pastors teach differently perhaps? And, some might be bordering on quite worldly.
Sorry, a bit tired after work, what’s A.O.G

Reactions: Nancy
R

Rita

Lol, I don’t know what the Assemblies of God are ....will have to look it up.
Rita

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Lol, I don’t know what the Assemblies of God are ....will have to look it up.
Rita

Rita, lol...it is just yet another denom. I actually belonged to one in the 90's for a few years. Although, it was bible teaching and in control, lol.

Reactions: Rita

BreadOfLife

Jan 2, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
What horrible heresy in these songs !!!
Whereas, I don't profess to be a fan of Hillsong (never heard of them) - I read the lyrics of "What a Beautiful Name".
What is "heretical" about it?

Hidden In Him

May 10, 2018
Lafayette, LA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I suppose we all have our own opinions and tastes, but any worship that can reduce me to shaking bodily and crying tears all over my face out of love for my God has to be doing something right (2:59 - 4:21).

Note: Kalley Heiligenthal is technically Bethel, but Bethel and Hillsong are usually spoken of in the same breath.

Last edited:

Huperetes

Dec 10, 2019
Millington
www.grex.org
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
All of the criticism I have seen concerning Hillsong has come from cessationists who believe the gifts of the Spirit no longer operate in the church. They condemn any church that claims they are still in operation. Hillsong's popularity among such groups just makes them a more tempting target.

Reactions: Willie T

marksman

My eldest granddaughter showing the result of her
Feb 27, 2008
Melbourne Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Hello Marksman! Are you speaking of the Church from Austrailia that originally produced the Hillsong Worship team? I had watched Brooke Fraser (from NZ) on an interview a while back. There was not a thing I heard out of her mouth that sounded suspect to myself as, like @Rita , I too listen to their mucic...
Yes, that is right but you have to realize is any leader going to say anything that is suspect. They will have a predetermined response for nearly everything and that is not only Hillsong.

marksman

Feb 27, 2008
Melbourne Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
You are right to question the authority of the leadership.
They are a publicity machine with great finance through the prosperity gospel behind them. To build such a movement in such a short time takes dedication. The problem is it is just the music. Going to a cinema for massive meetings is like going to a pop concert. Sometimes this is the image people want to create of fellowship and meaning.

Maybe one should call this the cult of electronic music linked to worship. It is great for an emotional high, but when hard times come and you need roots and real reality, it is just hay and stubble. I wonder how long it can go on with this branding, and lack of depth in local communities. A lot are now turning away from this pop culture, to other things. My children have been members of similar groups, and are now disenchanted with them because of a lack of friendship and connection. But on a lot of levels, the worship and praise of Jesus is great. I love some of the songs, as part of my worship life, but then I equally like old hymns which are sung in many different environments. God bless you

One comment I have heard from someone who was a member of Hillsong is that when a new person comes through the front door, someone who is a member goes out the back door.

marksman

Feb 27, 2008
Melbourne Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
You are right to question the authority of the leadership.
They are a publicity machine with great finance through the prosperity gospel behind them. To build such a movement in such a short time takes dedication. The problem is it is just the music. Going to a cinema for massive meetings is like going to a pop concert. Sometimes this is the image people want to create of fellowship and meaning.

Maybe one should call this the cult of electronic music linked to worship. It is great for an emotional high, but when hard times come and you need roots and real reality, it is just hay and stubble. I wonder how long it can go on with this branding, and lack of depth in local communities. A lot are now turning away from this pop culture, to other things. My children have been members of similar groups, and are now disenchanted with them because of a lack of friendship and connection. But on a lot of levels, the worship and praise of Jesus is great. I love some of the songs, as part of my worship life, but then I equally like old hymns which are sung in many different environments. God bless you

There is more to things that meet the eye. I read the testimony of an Elder at John McArthur's church. who was crying out for help. He was at breaking point with depression and anxiety but he could not admit to it because that is not what John McArthur teaches. He certainly could not go to him for prayer and healing. So he went to someone outside the church and got the help he needed, no thanks to John Mcarthur.

So what one sees on the surface ain't necessarily what is going on underneath.

Last edited:

marksman

Feb 27, 2008
Melbourne Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Hello Marksman! Are you speaking of the Church from Austrailia that originally produced the Hillsong Worship team? I had watched Brooke Fraser (from NZ) on an interview a while back. There was not a thing I heard out of her mouth that sounded suspect to myself as, like @Rita , I too listen to their mucic...

I have some of their CDs but not anymore as I have gone back to simpler music that inspires and lifts my spirit as opposed to music that entertains me.