Historical Evidence For Christ

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

mcorba

Aug 7, 2010
England
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Historical Evidence for Christ

Hi all, does anyone know of websites that succinctly provide academic or solid evidence for Christ on earth please?

This isnt a joke, but a pantheistic, academic relative of mine is driving me crazy with challenges, so I need you guys on my side,
as this is the type of spiritual warfare we have to deal with, right?

If you all could direct me to some solid, plausible locations with data on Pliny the younger and Josephus, two that I know of, that would really help.

Thank you.

Mike

Paul

Aug 19, 2006
Mike
It has to do with John 3:16, “…whosoever believeth in Him…” and it takes faith, Heb 11:1 "Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen. "

mcorba

Aug 7, 2010
England
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Mike
It has to do with John 3:16, “…whosoever believeth in Him…” and it takes faith, Heb 11:1 "Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen. "

Thanks Paul, but when I discuss Faith with a non-Christian they look blankly at me. They dont get Faith. Perhaps they never will.

Paul

Aug 19, 2006
Thanks Paul, but when I discuss Faith with a non-Christian they look blankly at me. They dont get Faith. Perhaps they never will.

We only plant seeds, God causes them to germinate and grow. We can not open a persons heart to hear, only God can do that.

Selene

Apr 12, 2010
In my house

Hi all, does anyone know of websites that succinctly provide academic or solid evidence for Christ on earth please?

This isnt a joke, but a pantheistic, academic relative of mine is driving me crazy with challenges, so I need you guys on my side,

If you all could direct me to some solid, plausible locations with data on Pliny the younger and Josephus, two that I know of, that would really help.

Thank you.

Mike

Hello Mike,

You may want to investigate the Shroud of Turin. It is believed to be the burial cloth of Jesus Christ. Below is a website you can start with. There are other websites on the shroud of Turin and you can look up those on your own.

http://www.shroudstory.com/

In Christ,
Selene

mcorba

Aug 7, 2010
England
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
http://www.everystudent.com/features/bible.html

This is pretty awesome - make any cynic read the tables of comparison to other historical documents...in reply to my own question!!

brionne

May 31, 2010
Australia
Hello Mike,

You may want to investigate the Shroud of Turin. It is believed to be the burial cloth of Jesus Christ. Below is a website you can start with. There are other websites on the shroud of Turin and you can look up those on your own.

In Christ,
Selene

that has been proved to be a fake.

You wont find evidence for Christ in things of this nature.

brionne

May 31, 2010
Australia

Thank you.

Mike

The first-century Jewish historian Josephus referred to the stoning of “James, the brother of Jesus who was called the Christ.” The Jewish Antiquities, Josephus, Book XX, chpter 9 paragraph 1

Tacitus is a respected Roman historian who lived during the latter part of the first century C.E., wrote: “Christus [Latin for “Christ”], from whom the name [Christian] had its origin, suffered the extreme penalty during the reign of Tiberius at the hands of one of our procurators, Pontius Pilatus.”—The Complete Works of Tacitus “The Annals,” Book 15, par. 44.

the fact that these first century historians did not deny the existence of Jesus goes to show that he was certainly a historical person.

Doppleganger

Mar 21, 2010
The shroud is just about the most awesome evidence there is.
http://www.greatshroudofturinfaq.com/

Whatever the Turin Shroud is, it is not a medieval fake relic ... facts that implies a resurrection but does not prove or define it. For a burial shroud to survive, the tomb had to be open. There is just enough confusion to preserve the freedom to believe short of certainty: meaning faith.

Science has proven to themselves once again that, despite hedging the proof, the Shroud is more than likely that of Jesus. The sample the Scientist used was the patch from the middle ages. Evidence proves Its not a Photographic Reproduction, but could have only been created by a quatum singularity. A burst of intense light. Unreproducable by today's scientific standards. To apply the image to the top most fibers. Without the body contacting the shroud material, so as to give a flattened image. Yes, even! Painters reproduce images to mimic what the eyes see, but in fact the shroud image is in 3D. Some Plant Spores found on the Shroud, can only be dated to the Time of Christ and the specific genetic variations of these plants at that time in palestine.

http://www.bibleprobe.com/shroud.htm
Sudarium of Oviedo Lines up perfectly with the images on the shroud!

In the northern Spanish city of Oviedo, in a small chapel attached to the city's cathedral, there is a small bloodstained dishcloth size piece of linen that some believe is one of the burial cloths mentioned in John's Gospel. Tradition has it that this cloth, commonly known as the Sudarium of Oviedo, was used to cover Jesus' bloodied face following his death on the cross.

http://www.shroudsto...aq-sudarium.htm
Amazing! Best proof there is, easy!

Selene

Apr 12, 2010
In my house
that has been proved to be a fake.

You wont find evidence for Christ in things of this nature.

Doppleganger is correct. Atheists have tried to prove that the Shroud of Turin is a fake, but they always come up short. The Shroud is not a painting. It is a photographic image, and cameras did not exist in the Middle Ages.

In Christ,
Selene

Paul

Aug 19, 2006
The Shroud will never totally convince a skeptic that Christ is the Son of God and that He rose from the dead.
It takes FAITH! and that takes a tug from the Holy Spirit. Without the Holy Spirit you will not convince anyone.

Joh 20:24 But Thomas, one of the twelve, called Didymus, was not with them when Jesus came.
Joh 20:25 The other disciples therefore said unto him, We have seen the Lord. But he said unto them, Except I shall see in his hands the print of the nails, and put my finger into the print of the nails, and thrust my hand into his side, I will not believe.
Joh 20:26 And after eight days again his disciples were within, and Thomas with them: then came Jesus, the doors being shut, and stood in the midst, and said, Peace be unto you.
Joh 20:27 Then saith he to Thomas, Reach hither thy finger, and behold my hands; and reach hither thy hand, and thrust it into my side: and be not faithless, but believing.
Joh 20:28 And Thomas answered and said unto him, My Lord and my God.
Joh 20:29 Jesus saith unto him, Thomas, because thou hast seen me, thou hast believed: blessed are they that have not seen, and yet have believed.

Heb 11:1 Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen.
Heb 11:2 For by it the elders obtained a good report.
Heb 11:3 Through faith we understand that the worlds were framed by the word of God, so that things which are seen were not made of things which do appear.
Heb 11:4 By faith Abel offered unto God a more excellent sacrifice than Cain, by which he obtained witness that he was righteous, God testifying of his gifts: and by it he being dead yet speaketh.
Heb 11:5 By faith Enoch was translated that he should not see death; and was not found, because God had translated him: for before his translation he had this testimony, that he pleased God.
Heb 11:6 But without faith it is impossible to please him: for he that cometh to God must believe that he is, and that he is a rewarder of them that diligently seek him.

Selene

Apr 12, 2010
In my house
FAITH!

Joh 20:24 But Thomas, one of the twelve, called Didymus, was not with them when Jesus came.
Joh 20:25 The other disciples therefore said unto him, We have seen the Lord. But he said unto them, Except I shall see in his hands the print of the nails, and put my finger into the print of the nails, and thrust my hand into his side, I will not believe.
Joh 20:26 And after eight days again his disciples were within, and Thomas with them: then came Jesus, the doors being shut, and stood in the midst, and said, Peace be unto you.
Joh 20:27 Then saith he to Thomas, Reach hither thy finger, and behold my hands; and reach hither thy hand, and thrust it into my side: and be not faithless, but believing.
Joh 20:28 And Thomas answered and said unto him, My Lord and my God.
Joh 20:29 Jesus saith unto him, Thomas, because thou hast seen me, thou hast believed: blessed are they that have not seen, and yet have believed.

Heb 11:1 Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen.
Heb 11:2 For by it the elders obtained a good report.
Heb 11:3 Through faith we understand that the worlds were framed by the word of God, so that things which are seen were not made of things which do appear.
Heb 11:4 By faith Abel offered unto God a more excellent sacrifice than Cain, by which he obtained witness that he was righteous, God testifying of his gifts: and by it he being dead yet speaketh.
Heb 11:5 By faith Enoch was translated that he should not see death; and was not found, because God had translated him: for before his translation he had this testimony, that he pleased God.
Heb 11:6 But without faith it is impossible to please him: for he that cometh to God must believe that he is, and that he is a rewarder of them that diligently seek him.

Hello Paul,

The fact that we have the Shroud of Turin only makes our faith even stronger against any atheists who try to destroy our faith. This is why the atheists work so hard to prove that the Shroud is a fake. :)

In Christ,
Selene

Paul

Aug 19, 2006
Hello Paul,

The fact that we have the Shroud of Turin only makes our faith even stronger against any atheists who try to destroy our faith. This is why the atheists work so hard to prove that the Shroud is a fake. :)

In Christ,
Selene

So how did all those that lived and died IN CHRIST possibly make it before the Shroud was discovered? The existence or non-existence of Shroud makes no difference to a true Child of God. And if that is the only thing holding someone to belief in Christ, they will never make it in the coming days. The antichrist will rip that thing right out from under them.

But without faith it is impossible to please him: for he that cometh to God must believe that he is, That is not faith in a blanket!!! Sorry

Selene

Apr 12, 2010
In my house
So how did all those that lived and died IN CHRIST possibly make it before the Shroud was discovered? The existence or non-existence of Shroud makes no difference to a true Child of God. And if that is the only thing holding someone to belief in Christ, they will never make it in the coming days. The antichrist will rip that thing right out from under them.

But without faith it is impossible to please him: for he that cometh to God must believe that he is, That is not faith in a blanket!!! Sorry

The Shroud had always been there. It had always been with the Early Church and has been passed down from the Early Church. We have always known about it. It's not our fault that you forgot about it.

What has Hebrews 11:6 have to do with the Shroud? The Early Church had the shroud all along and they still believed in Jesus Christ. The Early Church never worshipped the Shroud. The kept it because it was the burial cloth of Jesus Christ. In the same way, Americans kept the suit of Abraham Lincoln in the museum under Ford's Theater, not because they worshipped Lincoln, but simply because it belonged to Lincoln, a historical figure in American history.

Paul

Aug 19, 2006
What has Hebrews 11:6 have to do with the Shroud? ...

I am talking about FAITH, not in a relic. If you need relics to bolster your faith have at them. I will stay with the WORD OF GOD! Sister, we are coming into very interesting times and your relics will not get you through.

Selene

Apr 12, 2010
In my house
I am talking about FAITH, not in a relic. If you need relics to bolster your faith have at them. I will stay with the WORD OF GOD! Sister, we are coming into very interesting times and your relics will not get you through.

Faith is a gift from God. You don't get faith by your own power.

Ephesians 2:8 For by grace you are saved through faith, and that not of yourselves, for it is the gift of God.

The fact that God chose to give us the relic was His Will, not ours. Besides, the Early Church held on to the Shroud rather than discard showed their love for our Lord. Where is our love for Christ if we chose to treat His personal things as trash?

Martin W.

Jan 16, 2009
Winnipeg Canada

Thank you.

Mike

Hi Mike.

Get a copy of Josh McDowell 's book "evidence that demands a verdict". It is full of the information you need.

Paul

Aug 19, 2006
Faith is a gift from God. You don't get faith by your own power.

For by grace you are saved through faith, and that not of yourselves, for it is the gift of God.

That Is what I said way back in post #12. My Love for Christ does not depend on His old cloths; it is on His death and resurrection.

The Shroud will never totally convince a skeptic that Christ is the Son of God and that He rose from the dead.
It takes FAITH! and that takes a tug from the Holy Spirit. Without the Holy Spirit you will not convince anyone.

But like I said in another post if you want His old clothing, they are yours. Enough said!

Selene

Apr 12, 2010
In my house
That Is what I said way back in post #12. My Love for Christ does not depend on His old cloths; it is on His death and resurrection.

But like I said in another post if you want His old clothing, they are yours. Enough said!

My brother, I said that it is God's will that He gave us that relic. This does not mean that we don't have faith nor love Him. We will keep what belongs to God rather than what belongs to the world. So, yes, my brother, I will take His old clothing because I would rather take what belongs to God rather than what belongs to the world.

Christ left His image on His burial cloth for a reason. There were atheists who became Christians because of the Shroud of Turin. Atheists are usually the hardest ones to turn to God because they rely on scientific evidence. They are like the Apostle Thomas, who needed to see Christ in order to believe. So, Christ showed Himself to Thomas. If the Shroud of Turin is what it takes for an atheist to come to God, then so be it. Afterall, God loves all of us and He wants everyone to come to Him and believe in Him. If Christ can show HImself to doubting Thomas, then why shouldn't Christ leave behind a relic to convince the rest of the other "doubting Thomases" in this world? God bless.

In Christ,
Selene