Holy mother church

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Where does this term come from?

Often I simply say it, that is, that the Church is the Mother as it may not be easy to understand although I do believe it. Perhaps God will help us all to understand it better and agree. I do have a Bible study saved with many verses. I will post here a very short version with a few additions:

"And Naomi said unto her two daughters in law, Go, return each to her mother's house: the LORD deal kindly with you, as ye have dealt with the dead, and with me." Ruth 1:8

Which mother was Naomi speaking of? And then which Mother did Ruth choose?

"And Ruth said, Entreat me not to leave thee, or to return from following after thee: for whither thou goest, I will go; and where thou lodgest, I will lodge: thy people shall be my people, and thy God my God:" Ruth 1:16

Orpah went back to her natural mother, but Ruth, a gentile as we are (or have been) gentiles, chose a new and better Way, a better Mother.

And then...

"For it is written, that Abraham had two sons, the one by a bondmaid, the other by a freewoman.

But he who was of the bondwoman was born after the flesh; but he of the freewoman was by promise.

Which things are an allegory: for these are the two covenants; the one from the mount Sinai, which gendereth to bondage, which is Agar.

For this Agar is mount Sinai in Arabia, and answereth to Jerusalem which now is, and is in bondage with her children.

But Jerusalem which is above is free, which is the mother of us all." Gal 4:22-26

"So then, brethren, we are not children of the bondwoman, but of the free" Gal 4:31

"Jesus answered and said unto him, Verily, verily, I say unto thee, Except a man be born again, he cannot see the kingdom of God.

Nicodemus saith unto him, How can a man be born when he is old? can he enter the second time into his mother's womb, and be born?

Jesus answered, Verily, verily, I say unto thee, Except a man be born of water and of the Spirit, he cannot enter into the kingdom of God.

That which is born of the flesh is flesh; and that which is born of the Spirit is spirit." John 3:3-6

"And a certain man lame from his mother's womb was carried, whom they laid daily at the gate of the temple which is called Beautiful, to ask alms of them that entered into the temple;" Acts 3:2

"Then Peter said, Silver and gold have I none; but such as I have give I thee: In the name of Jesus Christ of Nazareth rise up and walk.

And he took him by the right hand, and lifted him up: and immediately his feet and ankle bones received strength.

And he leaping up stood, and walked, and entered with them into the temple, walking, and leaping, and praising God." Acts 3:6-8

So who or what is Jerusalem? One literal translation of the word Jerusalem: "set yet double peace". [That brings to my mind the double portion that Jacob gave to Joseph. But that's another and a perhaps deeper subject.]

"And I saw a new heaven and a new earth: for the first heaven and the first earth were passed away; and there was no more sea.

And I John saw the holy city, new Jerusalem, coming down from God out of heaven, prepared as a bride adorned for her husband." Rev 21:1-2

The whole thing is spread throughout scripture. I added the verse from Revelation just now, but the longer Bible studies contain many more.

Consider also that a Mother has children. We know how Ruth (Bride) had children effectively for her dead husband the son of Naomi (Mother Church) via Boaz. We can make it complicated, but it doesn't have to be if we trust God to help us in it:

"There are threescore queens, and fourscore concubines, and virgins without number.

My dove, my undefiled is but one; she is the only one of her mother, she is the choice one of her that bare her. The daughters saw her, and blessed her; yea, the queens and the concubines, and they praised her." Song of Solomon 6:8-9

The Church is the spiritual Mother that took us in and nourished us properly with the flesh and blood of Jesus so that we could have the Life which he is... so that we could speak that words of the Father as Jesus did... so that we could walk the walk that Jesus walked along the "highway of holiness".

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Excellent!

gal 4 I was thinking of
Yes, indeed and here a few more key verses from that chapter:

"But when the fulness of the time was come, God sent forth his Son, made of a woman, made under the law,

My little children, of whom I travail in birth again until Christ be formed in you,

So then, brethren, we are not children of the bondwoman, but of the free." Gal 4:4,19,31

Everyone should read and study the entire chapter asking God for understanding. If God is our Father in the new birth of which Jesus speaks [John 3:3] who is to be our Mother so that we may be properly nourished to maturity in the Lord?

Last edited:
Reactions: Reggie Belafonte

amigo de christo

Sep 12, 2020
San angelo
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yes, indeed and here a few more key verses from that chapter:

"But when the fulness of the time was come, God sent forth his Son, made of a woman, made under the law,

My little children, of whom I travail in birth again until Christ be formed in you,

So then, brethren, we are not children of the bondwoman, but of the free." Gal 4:4,19,31

Everyone should read and study the entire chapter asking God to understanding. If God is our Father in the new birth of which Jesus speaks [John 3:3] who is to be our Mother so that we may be properly nourished to maturity in the Lord?
And the answer is clearly given . Heavenly Jerusalem , who is the mother of us all . And heavenly jerusalem
who the temple is , is made very clear in revelation . And it had no temple , for GOD and the LAMB are the temple of it .
Spiritual birth comes From GOD alone . Bask in the beauty of the LORD .

Randy Kluth

Apr 27, 2020
Pacific NW
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Where does this term come from?

Sadly, the Catholics believe that their Church denomination, their Church *organization,* their church ecclesiastical tradition, represents a "motherhood" to all Christians. And the way they do this is by claiming apostolic succession from Peter, the "rock."

In reality, the Catholic Church was just one of several patriarchates. Being the largest and most important within the Roman Empire, being based in Rome, it was looked to as a greater authority, but certainly not as an exclusive authority, until it eventually asserted its authority as exclusive. In other words, it was a self-assertion, not expressed from the start of Christian history, and it had no doctrinal justification in Scriptures or by apostolic authority.

Philip James

May 4, 2018
Brandon
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Psalm 86:16

Turn to me, be gracious to me;
give your strength to your servant;
save the son of your handmaid.

Rev 12:17

Then the dragon became angry with the woman and went off to wage war against the rest of her offspring, those who keep God’s commandments and bear witness to Jesus.

John 19:27

Then he said to the disciple, "Behold, your mother." And from that hour the disciple took her into his home.

But Jerusalem which is above is free, which is the mother of us all." Gal 4:22-26

Indeed she is amadeus. And we are her children...

Peace be with you!

Christ is risen!
Alleluia!

theefaith

Aug 25, 2020
Dallas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Sadly, the Catholics believe that their Church denomination, their Church *organization,* their church ecclesiastical tradition, represents a "motherhood" to all Christians. And the way they do this is by claiming apostolic succession from Peter, the "rock."

In reality, the Catholic Church was just one of several patriarchates. Being the largest and most important within the Roman Empire, being based in Rome, it was looked to as a greater authority, but certainly not as an exclusive authority, until it eventually asserted its authority as exclusive. In other words, it was a self-assertion, not expressed from the start of Christian history, and it had no doctrinal justification in Scriptures or by apostolic authority.

gal 4 the church is the new or heavenly Jerusalem our mother hence holy mother church

peter is the head of the church on earth in Christ’s place as He commanded
Matt 16:18

Randy Kluth

Apr 27, 2020
Pacific NW
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
gal 4 the church is the new or heavenly Jerusalem our mother hence holy mother church

peter is the head of the church on earth in Christ’s place as He commanded

That is certainly not true. Calling Peter a "rock," after his name, certainly isn't anointing him for eternal leadership over the Church. That role belongs exclusively to Christ today, as it always has.

Col 2.18 Do not let anyone who delights in false humility and the worship of angels disqualify you. Such a person also goes into great detail about what they have seen; they are puffed up with idle notions by their unspiritual mind. 19 They have lost connection with the head, from whom the whole body, supported and held together by its ligaments and sinews, grows as God causes it to grow.

Please note that here Paul identifies *Christ* as the "head"--not Peter.

theefaith

Aug 25, 2020
Dallas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
That is certainly not true. Calling Peter a "rock," after his name, certainly isn't anointing him for eternal leadership over the Church. That role belongs exclusively to Christ today, as it always has.

Col 2.18 Do not let anyone who delights in false humility and the worship of angels disqualify you. Such a person also goes into great detail about what they have seen; they are puffed up with idle notions by their unspiritual mind. 19 They have lost connection with the head, from whom the whole body, supported and held together by its ligaments and sinews, grows as God causes it to grow.

Please note that here Paul identifies *Christ* as the "head"--not Peter.

but christ who is the head ascended to heaven and named peter to administer the kingdom until he returns

theefaith

Aug 25, 2020
Dallas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Christ founded the church on Peter!

18 And I say also unto thee, That thou art Peter, and upon this rock I will build my church; and the gates of hell shall not prevail against it.

19 And I will give unto thee the keys of the kingdom of heaven: and whatsoever thou shalt bind on earth shall be bound in heaven: and whatsoever thou shalt loose on earth shall be loosed in heaven.

You CANNOT give the keys (authority) to a confession but to a person! Peter
Vs 19 unto thee (Peter) thou shalt bind (Peter) thou shalt loose (Peter)

Only the one true church founded by Christ on Peter and the apostles and their successors and those members of Christ by faith and baptism United with them, the communion of the saints
Jn 16:10 matt 16:18 18:18 Jn 20:21-23
Jn 10:16

Ephesians 5:32
This is a great mystery: but I speak concerning Christ and the church

1 Corinthians 12:13
For by one Spirit are we all baptized into one body, whether we be Jews or Gentiles, whether we be bond or free; and have been all made to drink into one Spirit.

The office of apostle that has the three fold office, to teach: to govern the church: and to sanctify by the sacraments or sacred oaths (promises) of the father! Acts 2:38-39 with ez 36:25-27 Heb 8:6

Keys of authority! And power to bind and loose! Matt 16:18 and Matt 18:18

Moral authority:
(Teaching)
Necessity of being taught by Christ:
Two edge sword: defining truth and condemning errors, and Interpreting scripture.

Jurisdictional authority:
(Governing / administering)
Necessity of Peter and the apostles and their successors to govern the holy church.

Spiritual authority:
(Life of Grace)
Sanctifying thru the mass and Sacraments

Jn 8:12
Then spake Jesus again unto them, saying, I am the light of the world: he that followeth me shall not walk in darkness, but shall have the light of life.

Jn 9:5
As long as I am in the world, I am the light of the world.

Matt 5:14
Ye (the apostles/ the church) are the light of the world. A city that is set on an hill cannot be hid.
(There is only one church founded by Christ on Peter and the apostles and their successors!) Jn 10:16

Only Peter and the apostles and their successors have the teaching authority of Christ with the guarantee of the Holy Spirit! Matt 16:18 matt 18:18 matt 28:19 Jn 8:32 Jn 16:13

Fathers have care of their children, spiritual fathers care for our souls!

Pope, papa, father, yes spiritual father!

Isa 22 father

Christ is the head of the church!
Peter is appointed by Christ as the head of the church on earth!
Supreme pastor and teacher of the faithful!

Matt 10:2
First apostle Peter:

Matt 17:27
Jesus and Peter are one:
Jesus even works a miracle to make this point. 27 Notwithstanding, lest we should offend them, go thou to the sea, and cast an hook, and take up the fish that first cometh up; and when thou hast opened his mouth, thou shalt find a piece of money: that take, and give unto them for me and thee.

Mt 16:18 Peter received the keys of the kingdom: (jurisdictional authority of the universal church) and the power to bind and loose:

Lk 22:32
Peter commanded to confirm his breathren:

Jesus prays for Peter:

Jn 21:17
Peter commanded to Feed my sheep:

Matt 10:2
Peter is the prince of the apostles, head of the universal church on earth!

Jn 6:68 Then Simon Peter answered him, Lord, to whom shall we go? thou hast the words of eternal life.

69 And we believe and are sure that thou art that Christ, the Son of the living God.

Jn 20:21-23
Peter and the apostles receive the Holy Spirit and the power to forgive sins:

Acts 1:15 1:17 1:26
Peter declares Judas office of apostle valid and vacant and chooses a successor:

Acts 2:14
Peter preaches the first sermon on Pentecost:

Acts 2:38
Peter requires baptism as the outward sign and initiation into the new covenant!

Acts 4:8 Then Peter, filled with the Holy Ghost, said unto them, Ye rulers of the people, and elders of Israel,
(Peter guided by the Holy Spirit guides the church)

Acts 5 authority of the apostles verified by them being stricken dead by God verifying Matt 16:18 matt 18:18 whatsoever you bind on earth is bound in heaven and the apostles have the light of the Holy Spirit!

1 Tim 1 Paul is Timothy’s spiritual father.
1 Jn 2:1 little children are adult Christians, John is their spiritual father.

Apostles have Care for our souls
(Acts 20:28 Jn 21:17 Heb 13:17)

———

The successors of Moses having kingdom authority of the keys and the power to bind and loose Mt 23 was taken from them Mt 21:43 and given to Peter, the apostles, and their successors: Mt 16:18 Mt 18:18 and Jesus says this power and authority is to be obeyed!

Rom 13:2
Whosoever therefore resisteth the power, resisteth the ordinance of God: and they that resist shall receive to themselves damnation.
(If it applies to civil authority, how much more to religious authority)

Mt 28:18-20
all authority is given to Peter, the apostles, and their successors requiring obedience, rom 1:5 obedience to the faith!
And Jesus say to Peter, the apostles, and their successors: behold I am with you even until the end of the world!!!
So the apostles have to remain until the end!

Lk 10:16 He who hears you hears me...
(The apostles and their successors)

John 13:20
Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that receiveth whomsoever I send receiveth me; and he that receiveth me receiveth him that sent me.

Without a central authority there can be no unity of the spirit, no obedience to the faith!
God - Christ - Peter - the apostles - the apostles successors - the people

Hierarchy is the nature of authority!

God always establishes order in obedience to hierarchical authority!

The angelic order!
The church order!
The family order!
The civil order!

All require obedience to hierarchical authority!

The church is not a democracy but a kingdom!

They are not God, not the king, not the founder!
But equal with Christ yes!
As far as roles go, Jesus is the head of the church, Peter is the head of the church on earth Mt 16:18 and leader of the apostles Mt 10:2 administers of the kingdom in the absence of the king. Acts 1:9 Jn 21:17 and Peter, the apostles and their successors are sent in the same way as Jesus!

Jn 20:21 Then said Jesus to them again, Peace be unto you: as my Father hath sent me, even so send I you.
22 And when he had said this, he breathed on them, and saith unto them, Receive ye the Holy Ghost:
They are God breathed!

Jesus Christ continues HIS ministry in His new covenant church thru Peter, the apostles, and their successors with the same mission, power, and authority!
Mt 16:18 Mt 28:19 Acts 1:17 acts 8:31 & 35 Lk 10:16 Jn 8:32 Jn 13:20 Jn 16:13
Jn 20:21-22 eph 2:20

Randy Kluth

Apr 27, 2020
Pacific NW
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
but christ who is the head ascended to heaven and named peter to administer the kingdom until he returns

No, that is self-serving Catholic teaching. Of course the Catholic Church would anoint Peter as leader in a succession leading to Catholic popes, and to the Catholic organization. It gives them supremacy over all of Christianity, just as Rome ruled over its entire Empire!

But Jesus said that if anybody would be great in God's Kingdom, he must learn to be servant of all. That is, heading organizations is not what leads in God's Kingdom. The powers of this world are not to be equated with God's Kingdom, necessarily.

True leadership places Christ as head, and with us as the body. The ear is not greater than the toe, even though it appears to be of more noble use. Since every part is needed, no part should exalt itself over another.

James 1.1 My brothers and sisters, believers in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ must not show favoritism. 2 Suppose a man comes into your meeting wearing a gold ring and fine clothes, and a poor man in filthy old clothes also comes in. 3 If you show special attention to the man wearing fine clothes and say, “Here’s a good seat for you,” but say to the poor man, “You stand there” or “Sit on the floor by my feet,” 4 have you not discriminated among yourselves and become judges with evil thoughts?

5 Listen, my dear brothers and sisters: Has not God chosen those who are poor in the eyes of the world to be rich in faith and to inherit the kingdom he promised those who love him? 6 But you have dishonored the poor. Is it not the rich who are exploiting you? Are they not the ones who are dragging you into court? 7 Are they not the ones who are blaspheming the noble name of him to whom you belong?

Our spiritual leadership does not consist of worldly positions of authority. Rather, we're here to serve others--the more we serve, the more we accomplish.

But it should not be thought that the greatest servant is anything more than a servant. If Peter was a great servant of God, and he was, then he was not given worldly authority over his brothers and sisters in the church. He just represented Christ, the rock, upon whom we all stand. We don't stand on Peter. We stand on his example of following the Rock.

Matt 25.25 Jesus called them together and said, “You know that the rulers of the Gentiles lord it over them, and their high officials exercise authority over them. 26 Not so with you.

Reactions: Keraz

theefaith

Aug 25, 2020
Dallas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
No, that is self-serving Catholic teaching. Of course the Catholic Church would anoint Peter as leader in a succession leading to Catholic popes, and to the Catholic organization. It gives them supremacy over all of Christianity, just as Rome ruled over its entire Empire!

But Jesus said that if anybody would be great in God's Kingdom, he must learn to be servant of all. That is, heading organizations is not what leads in God's Kingdom. The powers of this world are not to be equated with God's Kingdom, necessarily.

True leadership places Christ as head, and with us as the body. The ear is not greater than the toe, even though it appears to be of more noble use. Since every part is needed, no part should exalt itself over another.

James 1.1 My brothers and sisters, believers in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ must not show favoritism. 2 Suppose a man comes into your meeting wearing a gold ring and fine clothes, and a poor man in filthy old clothes also comes in. 3 If you show special attention to the man wearing fine clothes and say, “Here’s a good seat for you,” but say to the poor man, “You stand there” or “Sit on the floor by my feet,” 4 have you not discriminated among yourselves and become judges with evil thoughts?

5 Listen, my dear brothers and sisters: Has not God chosen those who are poor in the eyes of the world to be rich in faith and to inherit the kingdom he promised those who love him? 6 But you have dishonored the poor. Is it not the rich who are exploiting you? Are they not the ones who are dragging you into court? 7 Are they not the ones who are blaspheming the noble name of him to whom you belong?

Our spiritual leadership does not consist of worldly positions of authority. Rather, we're here to serve others--the more we serve, the more we accomplish.

But it should not be thought that the greatest servant is anything more than a servant. If Peter was a great servant of God, and he was, then he was not given worldly authority over his brothers and sisters in the church. He just represented Christ, the rock, upon whom we all stand. We don't stand on Peter. We stand on his example of following the Rock.

Matt 25.25 Jesus called them together and said, “You know that the rulers of the Gentiles lord it over them, and their high officials exercise authority over them. 26 Not so with you.

that’s true the leaders of holy mother church are servants
Safeguarding the deposit of faith and the faithful from all error

but Christ is also king
And king over all things
So his representative must rule the whole world and act like a king

Christ and His church are one!

The authority of the apostles continues in the church founded by Christ!

Jesus Christ continues HIS ministry in His new covenant church thru Peter, the apostles, and their successors with the same mission, power, and authority!
Mt 16:18 Mt 28:19 Acts 1:17 acts 8:31 & 35 Lk 10:16 Jn 8:32 Jn 13:20 Jn 15:5 Jn 16:13 Jn 20:21-22 acts 9 eph 2:20

What power does Christ have?
What authority does Christ have?
What mission does Christ have?
The apostles have the same! Jn 20:21

Basis of apostolic authority:

Keys of the kingdom of heaven! Matt 16:18 And authority to bind and loose! Matt 18:18

Moral authority: Matt 28:19
(Teaching)
Necessity of the nations being taught by Christ:
Two edge sword: defining truth and condemning errors.

Jurisdictional authority: Matt 16:18
Necessity of Peter and the apostles and their successors to govern the holy church.

Spiritual authority: Matt 28:19
(Life of Grace)
Sanctifying the nations thru the mass and Sacraments

Reggie Belafonte

Mar 16, 2018
Brisbane
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Jesus Mother Mary is the mother of the Church.
Without Mary there would be no Jesus.
Mary was full of Grace that's why God chose her.
We are the body of the Church Mary who serves Jesus Christ.

Reactions: Philip James

Randy Kluth

Apr 27, 2020
Pacific NW
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
that’s true the leaders of holy mother church are servants
Safeguarding the deposit of faith and the faithful from all error

Catholics are as susceptible to error as any other Christians. Just because they're Catholic does not make them immune from error. If you are that trusting, you're truly in danger!

but Christ is also king
And king over all things
So his representative must rule the whole world and act like a king

Christ is king in heaven, but his Kingdom is not yet on earth.

The authority of the apostles continues in the church founded by Christ!

No, the Apostles had their own authority. Others, coming after them, have to get their own authority from God. You don't get authority from a preceding person. You get it from God!

The Catholic Church doesn't get to choose who is called into ministry. And the calling for each church tradition is limited to that denomination. A Catholic priest serves within the Catholic Church, and not in Protestant Churches, nor in the Eastern Church. Not even Paul had an apostleship that extended in other leaders' fields. His Scripture writings have had universal value, but his ministry did not.

What power does Christ have?
What authority does Christ have?
What mission does Christ have?
The apostles have the same! Jn 20:21

The problem is, you haven't made any distinction between Christ the the Apostles. There clearly was a difference. Christ's ministry was both to preach the Gospel of the Kingdom and to save our souls. The ministry of the Apostles was not to save our souls, but only to preach the Gospel of the Kingdom.

Basis of apostolic authority:
Keys of the kingdom of heaven! Matt 16:18 And authority to bind and loose! Matt 18:18

You have to know what "binding and loosing" means! It has to do with using Christ's redemption in the preaching of the Gospel. When we proclaim Christ has forgiven those who repent, and we see men repenting, we can declare to them, with authority that they are forgiven and "loosed" from the bondage of their sins.

On the other hand, those who refuse to repent we can declare, with authority from Christ, that they will remain bound in their sins. We are simply proclaiming what Christ has said and is applying in the world today, as men either repent or refuse to repent. God backs up our assessments, since he is giving us eyes to make these determinations.

Jurisdictional authority: Matt 16:18

As I said, Christian leadership is not political or ecclesiastical governing. God does call men into these positions, but it is purely structural and for purposes of order, rather than a hierarchy of spiritual authority.

Spiritual authority: Matt 28:19
(Life of Grace)
Sanctifying the nations thru the mass and Sacraments

Sacraments are merely symbols of purification--not the actual agents of sanctification. Only the Holy Spirit can sanctify. The works of men are utterly unable to accomplish this. We are purified only in serving God each day, rather than by engaging in rituals and ceremonies. The ceremonies are only aids in helping us to focus on our daily walk with God, reminding us of what it means.

Reactions: Keraz

Philip James

May 4, 2018
Brandon
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
You don't get authority from a preceding person

Then you shall anoint Jehu, son of Nimshi, as king of Israel, and Elisha, son of Shaphat of Abel-meholah, as prophet to succeed you.

Hello Randy,

For 2000 years the Church has maintained that one can only be ordained by those with the authority to give such ordination,,,

You find this everywhere in every apostolic community...

This we received from the apostles...

Peace be with you!

Christ is risen!
Alleluia!

theefaith

Aug 25, 2020
Dallas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Jesus Mother Mary is the mother of the Church.
Without Mary there would be no Jesus.
Mary was full of Grace that's why God chose her.
We are the body of the Church Mary who serves Jesus Christ.

our spiritual mother?
Perpetual Virgin?
Mother of God?
Mother of our salvation?

Randy Kluth

Apr 27, 2020
Pacific NW
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Then you shall anoint Jehu, son of Nimshi, as king of Israel, and Elisha, son of Shaphat of Abel-meholah, as prophet to succeed you.

Hello Randy,

For 2000 years the Church has maintained that one can only be ordained by those with the authority to give such ordination,,,

You find this everywhere in every apostolic community...

This we received from the apostles...

Peace be with you!

Christ is risen!
Alleluia!

That's true brother, but the point is, it's not an "apostolic succession," nor is an intra-denominational election. In the case of Jehu, which you quoted, it was *God* who was making the choice--not men. It was a *prophecy!*

Now, if God told someone to anoint Jehu as king, and then told the king to anoint someone after him, etc. then you might have something. But kings tended to choose their own heirs, though this was entirely legitimate. This just wasn't God's original plan, for there to be a succession of kings at all.

Nor did it please Jesus when his Disciples tried to keep all of the ministry within their own fellowship. There were other "sheep pens."

John 10.16 I have other sheep that are not of this sheep pen. I must bring them also. They too will listen to my voice, and there shall be one flock and one shepherd.

One would not appoint a successor outside of his own territory, unless it was a prophetic guidance. Appointing organizational successors can indeed be led by the Spirit. But it is never said to constitute an overarching hierarchy applying to all "pens."

Last edited:

theefaith

Aug 25, 2020
Dallas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Jn 20:21-23

the father sent Christ and He had authority to send others

this verse says they have the same authority

so they can send whom they please

Successors of Jesus Christ!

Jesus already prepares His apostles to continue His mission with His power (binding and loosing) and with His authority (keys) matt 16:18 matt 18:18

John 3:5 Jesus answered, Verily, verily, I say unto thee, Except a man be born of water and of the Spirit, he cannot enter into the kingdom of God.

John 3:22 After these things came Jesus and his disciples into the land of Judaea; and there he tarried with them, and baptized.

John 4:1 when therefore the Lord knew how the Pharisees had heard that Jesus made and baptized more disciples than John...
Jn 4:2 Though Jesus himself baptized not, but his disciples

Here we see Jesus delegating to His successors, Peter and the apostles!

Jn 15:5 apart from me you can do nothing

There can be no unity of the spirit without obedience to the faith! Rom 1:5 eph 4:3

Matt 28 I am with you (the apostles)

The papacy based on Matt 16:18 and Isa 22:21-22

Matt 16:18-19
18 And I say also unto thee, That thou art Peter, and upon this rock I will build my church; and the gates of hell shall not prevail against it.

19 And I will give unto thee the keys of the kingdom of heaven: and whatsoever thou shalt bind on earth shall be bound in heaven: and whatsoever thou shalt loose on earth shall be loosed in heaven.

Isa 22:21-22
21 And I will clothe him with thy robe, and strengthen him with thy girdle, and I will commit thy government into his hand: and he shall be a father to the inhabitants of Jerusalem, and to the house of Judah.

22 And the key of the house of David will I lay upon his shoulder; so he shall open, and none shall shut; and he shall shut, and none shall open.

Behold I am with you (the successors or the apostles until the end of the age, so the successors must remain until the end of the age) matt 28:19

(None of the so called reformers were apostles) (no man has authority to start a church)

Successors of Moses!

Matt 23 why does Jesus say to obey the successors of Moses?

The successors of Moses sit in the chair of Moses having the authority of the keys and the power to bind and loose Matt 23 and Jesus commanded them to be obeyed! Then the kingdom was taken from them matt 21:43 and given to Peter, Matt 16:18 the apostles, Matt 18:18 and their successors with the authority of the keys and the power to bind and lose!

Jesus said to obey the authority of the successors of Moses mt 23 authority of the keys and power to bind and loose and this power and authority was taken from them matt and given by Christ to Peter, the apostles and their successors, mt 16:18 18:18 this same authority and power must be obeyed!

mt 28:18-20 all authority is given to Peter, the apostles, and their successors requiring obedience, rom 1:5 obedience to the faith!
And Jesus say to Peter, the apostles, and their successors: behold I am with you even until the end of the world!!!
So the apostles have to remain until the end! Revelation 5:10
And hast made us unto our God kings and Priests: and we shall reign on the earth. Reign with kingdom authority (keys) power (bind loose) matt 16:18
The successors of Peter and the apostles have a valid jurisdictional authority (keys) and power (bind and loose) by Jesus Christ!

Lk 10:16
He who hears you hears me...

John 13:20
Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that receiveth whomsoever I send receiveth me; and he that receiveth me receiveth him that sent me.

apostolic succession!

explicit and implicit in scripture

Judas was an apostle
Acts 1:17 For he was numbered with us, and had obtained part of this ministry.

acts 1:20 For it is written in the book of Psalms, Let his habitation be desolate, and let no man dwell therein: and his bishoprick let another take.

Matthias succeeded him as apostle

acts 1: 26 And they gave forth their lots; and the lot fell upon Matthias; and he was numbered with the eleven apostles.

now if it applies to judas how much more to Peter and the other apostles

Matt 28:19-20
Go ye therefore, and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost:

20 Teaching them to observe all things whatsoever I have commanded you: and, lo, I am with you always, even unto the end of the world. Amen.

Jesus is with His church and His apostles until the end! So the apostles must remain until the end governing the church administering the kingdom

Mt 16:18 Peter received the keys of the kingdom: (jurisdictional authority of the universal church) and the power to bind and loose:

Jesus prays for Peter:

Jn 21:17
Peter commanded to Feed my sheep: