Homosexuality

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

junobet

May 20, 2016
Germany
lforrest said:
That is why I asked if you believe that instead of assuming you did.

Why even read the Bible if by relativism you can make it mean anything you want it to mean?
[SIZE=9pt]My relativism is reserved to the acknowledgement that while God is Absolute Truth and knows everything, I don’t. and no other human being does either. A humility the many self-declared prophets who think they proclaim what the Bible 'clearly' teaches when just spouting human Dogma obviously lack.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=9pt]If you want to ask me why I’d first go look for genre and historical setting when asked on my exegesis of a Biblical text: that’s what sensible people do when faced with any kind of literature. [/SIZE]
[SIZE=9pt]As for my beliefs concerning that particular text: I have none. It hasn’t spoken to me yet. Maybe it will one day. I admit these old sagas are slightly more interesting, than the OT’s endless genealogies, that I also don’t bother with much. You may think this is groce negligence, but 1 Timothy 1 seems to vindicate it: [/SIZE]

[SIZE=9pt]“[/SIZE][SIZE=small]3 [/SIZE][SIZE=medium]When I was on my way to Macedonia, I urged you to stay in Ephesus so that you could instruct certain people to stop teaching false doctrine [/SIZE][SIZE=small]4 [/SIZE][SIZE=medium]and occupying themselves with myths and endless genealogies. These things promote controversies rather than God’s ongoing purpose, which involves faith. [/SIZE][SIZE=small]5 [/SIZE][SIZE=medium]The goal of this instruction is love that flows from a pure heart, from a clear conscience, and from a sincere faith. [/SIZE][SIZE=small]6 [/SIZE][SIZE=medium]Some people have left these qualities behind and have turned to fruitless discussion. [/SIZE][SIZE=small]7 [/SIZE][SIZE=medium]They want to be teachers of the Law, yet they do not understand either what they are talking about or the things about which they speak so confidently.”[/SIZE]

junobet

May 20, 2016
Germany
Wormwood said:
Well, again, I think you are reading a lot into Paul here. You seem to think you know his mind and his intent beyond what is actually written. Rather, he says that men and women should not deprive each other and he says marriage and sexuality are from the Lord. It seems clear to me his focus on celibacy has nothing to do with which is more virtuous but has much more to do with Paul's passion for Christ and focus on the ability to commit more time to the building of believers. As a married man, I certainly agree with Paul that I do not have the same amount of time to serve the church as I did when I was single. So certainly, for the benefit of the church and the kingdom, a single person can devote far more time and attention. I think you are reading too much into it if your assumption is Paul is suggesting those who are sexually active as married couples are less virtuous due to their intimacy.

I am not offended, but I think this statement is nonsense. The difference is that Paul, as an inspired author of Scripture, applauds marriage between a man and a woman as from God:

“Now the Spirit expressly says that in later times some will depart from the faith by devoting themselves to deceitful spirits and teachings of demons, through the insincerity of liars whose consciences are seared, who forbid marriage and require abstinence from foods that God created to be received with thanksgiving by those who believe and know the truth.” (1 Timothy 4:1–3, ESV)

On the other hand he declares homosexuality to be a wicked behavior that comes from a lack of knowledge of God and declares that those who practice such things bring the wrath of God on the world. So, no, this has nothing to do with me "deevaluated" [devaluing] another person's sexuality. It has to do with what Scripture has to say on the subject. Clearly it does not approach the sexuality of a married couple in the same way as it does the sexuality of an adulterer or homosexual. I mean, really, this argument of yours could be used by a pedophile or someone who practices beastiality who wants to argue that you are devaluing their sexuality by prohibiting them from carrying out their lusts. I mean, who are YOU to determine if someone's sexuality should be devalued or not? Nonsense. Using Paul's comments on sexuality in 1 Cor 7 as a means to validate homosexuality is baffling.

I think you are missing my point. The point is that you were making it sound like there is some complete scientific agreement on the matter and I am saying that is far from the truth. The redefinition of homosexuality has nothing to do with "science" but everything to do with culture accepting the practice. Of course textbooks are going to approach the matter differently. But that is due to cultural evaluation of the practice and not some scientific silver bullet that says people have no choice but to sleep with people of the same sex due to some finding in their DNA (which is how you were trying to make it sound). The bottom line is, engaging in ANY sexual behavior (heterosexual or homosexual) is a behavior. My inclination to be attracted to women does not mandate I try to fulfill any bodily lusts I might feel toward any woman I pass that I find attractive. It is not the same as eye color or skin color. It is a behavior. Simply because someone is predisposed to want to do something, drink, smoke, chew, have one-night-stands or whatever else does not mean that they are somehow excused by God for doing something he disapproves of. As I said from the beginning, this is a discussion about what the Bible says is right and wrong, not what culture has determined is acceptable. I find it sad that so many people have their interpretation of the Scriptures so dominated by cultural pressures and expectations. As I said before, NO Christian for almost 2000 years would have argued that God approves of homosexual activities. The Church NEVER accepted the practice throughout all of history. Now, suddenly, our culture embraces it and, lo and behold, we just happen to discover that Paul really didnt mean what he said based on some wild contextual scenarios we drum up. Hardly the way to be salt and light in the world.

No, you were arguing that Paul's basis for understanding sexuality was based in stoicism. Hardly the case. I think Paul's argument is based on creation, sin and the teaching of the Scriptures that the Hebrews had followed on this matter for thousands of years. I dont think he was influenced by Greek Stoicism and asceticism.

You are missing the point. Procreation points out the natural order of things. The purpose of marriage is not merely children. Rather, the ability to conceive children and the sexual activity itself reveals God's design and desires in creation. Its no different than saying, "Why not have men engage with intimacy with apes or fish?" Well, regardless of whether or not a person might desire to do such a thing, the very act itself is clearly outside of God's design. Its more than the inability to have a baby with a fish that matters. The inability to have a baby and the nature of the physical bodies involved reveals that the whole nature of that kind of intimacy is foreign to God's purposes and design.
[SIZE=medium]Wormwood,[/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]with all due respect for you as a fellow-Christian, I’m beginning to get frustrated by the thick-headed arrogance in which you accuse me of merely following my culture, whilst apparently not stopping for a second to ponder how you and your own views may have been shaped by the culture you grew up with. I guarantee you, none of us is free from the human discourses that have shaped our thinking![/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]It seems you mistake my humble tentativeness when it comes to make any declarations about the will of God for weakness. So I shall put it aside for a moment and put on the demeanor of a fiery prophet, as so many others here, including you, sadly frequently do:[/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]I repeat: Paul was human! And however inspired he may have been, he remained human. To claim anything else is blasphemy! Being human and having lived in 1th century AD he can’t have said anything of substance about homosexuality, because he could not have had the slightest concept of what homosexuality is. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]What you are doing is putting your ideas into Paul’s head and claiming that’s “the Word of God”. Static/eternal, basta! Doing such is hubris! And yes, I am deeply convinced the day will come, when you will repent for self-righteously closing your eyes and heart, not only to what science tells us about God’s wonderful creation in all its colourful variety, but also to the oppression and suffering of those who happen to have a different sexual orientation than you do in all your glorious privilege. If you put on an ounce of humility you’d do some introspection and listen to what it is that God really has to tell you: The living Word of God that I’m encountered by when reading the Bible, says that God, while He’ll surely forgive you, is not fine with the vile human bigotry that comes out of your mouth! Repeatedly equating homosexual intercourse to murder, for heaven’s sake! Do you ever think of what your words may be doing – not even after you’ve seen the results of spreading such thought in Orlando not so long ago? How about speaking out for those who hunger and thirst for righteousness for a change? Or for helping those who are in need of shelter and protection? Because that is a demand that is on basically every second page of the Bible, yet most (not all) Conservative American Christians are surprisingly quiet about social justice, whilst making a big ado about a handful of cherry-picked verses that seem to support their very own human prejudice, greed, bourgeoise attitude and sexual paranoia! [/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]On a snippety side note that I hope you’ll forgive: Likelihood is that the Pastoral Letters were not written by Paul, but are deutero-Pauline (doesn’t mean they were less inspired). But why bother to actually study scripture, when you think you know what it ‘plainly’ says, anyway, right?[/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]Sorry for the outburst, had to be. I rest my case and [/SIZE][SIZE=10pt]shake off the dust[/SIZE] of my feet[SIZE=medium]. Hope to meet you again in another discussion, where your God-given reason isn’t as blurred by human prejudice as in this one.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]Be blessed[/SIZE]

StanJ

Lifelong student of God's Word.
May 13, 2014
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
junobet said:
I respect you seeing the Bible as the cornerstone of your conscience, however please consider that if the Bible was the prerequisite for our salvation, all Biblical figures would be pretty much doomed because they did not have the Bible yet. ;-) The Bible wasn’t there for all eternity, Christ, the Logos of whom it gives witness, is.
How exactly did you get saved if you didn't read the Bible? Did somebody tell you of Jesus? And where did they find out about Jesus? How do you know you had to be saved in order to be a Christian? How do you know Jesus is the truth?
The Bible is exactly what it is meant to be, as John 20:31 states; But these are written that you may believe that Jesus is the Messiah, the Son of God, and that by believing you may have life in his name.

lforrest

Staff member
Admin
Aug 10, 2012
Faith
Christian
junobet said:
[SIZE=9pt]My relativism is reserved to the acknowledgement that while God is Absolute Truth and knows everything, I don’t. and no other human being does either. A humility the many self-declared prophets who think they proclaim what the Bible 'clearly' teaches when just spouting human Dogma obviously lack.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=9pt]If you want to ask me why I’d first go look for genre and historical setting when asked on my exegesis of a Biblical text: that’s what sensible people do when faced with any kind of literature. [/SIZE]
[SIZE=9pt]As for my beliefs concerning that particular text: I have none. It hasn’t spoken to me yet. Maybe it will one day. I admit these old sagas are slightly more interesting, than the OT’s endless genealogies, that I also don’t bother with much. You may think this is groce negligence, but 1 Timothy 1 seems to vindicate it: [/SIZE]

[SIZE=9pt]“[/SIZE][SIZE=small]3 [/SIZE][SIZE=medium]When I was on my way to Macedonia, I urged you to stay in Ephesus so that you could instruct certain people to stop teaching false doctrine [/SIZE][SIZE=small]4 [/SIZE][SIZE=medium]and occupying themselves with myths and endless genealogies. These things promote controversies rather than God’s ongoing purpose, which involves faith. [/SIZE][SIZE=small]5 [/SIZE][SIZE=medium]The goal of this instruction is love that flows from a pure heart, from a clear conscience, and from a sincere faith. [/SIZE][SIZE=small]6 [/SIZE][SIZE=medium]Some people have left these qualities behind and have turned to fruitless discussion. [/SIZE][SIZE=small]7 [/SIZE][SIZE=medium]They want to be teachers of the Law, yet they do not understand either what they are talking about or the things about which they speak so confidently.”[/SIZE]
I have faith that what is written is true, it is you who believe one must look to fallible external sources for genre and historical setting to interpret what is plainly stated to fit your presuppositions. Call me a self proclaimed prophet if you want, I would rather hear one word from God than a million words from a secular author.

You could paint any scripture with the myths and genealogies brush. At least you are following that verse that talks about being sure of what you believe. (not going to bother to look it up). I think God himself would have a hard time convincing you that your wrong.

junobet

May 20, 2016
Germany
lforrest said:
I have faith that what is written is true, it is you who believe one must look to fallible external sources for genre and historical setting to interpret what is plainly stated to fit your presuppositions. Call me a self proclaimed prophet if you want, I would rather hear one word from God than a million words from a secular author.

You could paint any scripture with the myths and genealogies brush. At least you are following that verse that talks about being sure of what you believe. (not going to bother to look it up). I think God himself would have a hard time convincing you that your wrong.
[SIZE=medium]You don’t strike me to be much of a self-proclaimed prophet yet, and to the degree that I do call you that I welcome you to return the compliment. :D[/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]Which secular authors are you referring to? I was talking about consulting Christian scholars concerning Gen 6, who are so inflamed with love for the Bible’s ancient texts that they study them with a nerdy meticulousness that I can but admire. Most of their students will become pastors. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]You may say their work is secular in that they see it as an academic virtue not to let their own theological pet-doctrines affect the conduct and outcome of their Biblical studies. I’d say this is also a deeply Protestant virtue.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]Of course whilst mostly concerned with internal textual evidence Biblical-scholarship also needs to look at extra-Biblical sources (it is useful for example to have a look at comparable Jewish apocalyptic literature of its day, if you want to gain a better understanding of the imagery used in the Book of Revelations). [/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]I would not say we can “paint” any scripture with “the myths and genealogies- brush” . Genre is an important factor when you are on the look-out for historicity. (I dare say you might even quite like Richard Bauckham’s work on “Jesus and the Eyewitnesses”: http://www.patheos.com/blogs/inebriateme/2014/09/book-review-richard-bauckham-jesus-and-the-eyewitnesses/). But we'll be let into error if we read texts like Gen 6 as historical accounts when by their very genre they never intended to give historical Information. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium] As for myself: On my personal walk with my beloved battered old Pocket-Bible, I’ve conceded error in my understanding of it many a time and was convinced by new information/the better argument/the more coherent reading and – dare I say it – the Holy Spirit to change my opinion on a variety of theological questions. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]Maybe it’s rather unfortunate that our respective views on Scripture came up in a topic as divisive as this one. Even though I hope you are aware that the two topics aren’t necessarily linked, this will certainly not help to convince you of mine. Do you honestly reckon I ever could?[/SIZE]

Wormwood

Chaps
Apr 9, 2013
California
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
with all due respect for you as a fellow-Christian, I’m beginning to get frustrated by the thick-headed arrogance in which you accuse me of merely following my culture, whilst apparently not stopping for a second to ponder how you and your own views may have been shaped by the culture you grew up with. I guarantee you, none of us is free from the human discourses that have shaped our thinking!
Well I am sorry you are getting frustrated. As I said, I try to deal with the matter directly and I do think it is one of great importance. I am not trying to frustrate you, but I am just trying to point out what I believe is a great weakness in your approach to interpreting the Bible. I mean, looking at someone's grandpa's hatred for Jews and saying, "Well, they were wrong, maybe we are wrong, too" as a means of justifying something the Bible condemns seems like simply throwing up your hands and saying that the Bible is really too complicated for anyone to understand so we might as well do what we want. I find that approach really concerning and am merely trying to point that out. Obviously, you disagree and that is okay. I am not angry at you, just concerned with your hermeneutics.

As for culture shaping my views, certainly that is the case, to a degree. Of course we all have to understand the Biblical culture and try to adapt that to our 21st century context in a way that maintains the principles the Holy Spirit was trying to communicate to 1st century audiences. Moreover, we all have our own cultural lenses we cannot escape. However, to say that my rejection of homosexuality is merely cultural is just not accurate. If anything, I would hold your position if culture was dictating my views on the matter as the practice has been widely embraced in America and I have taken heat for speaking against it when I preach on passages that reference it. Moreover, I have already tried to discuss the text in great detail with you and explain why Paul's comments are not merely cultural. Besides, I am not the one who has sought to make appeals to science and culture as a means of dismissing Paul's words. You are the one who has made appeals to culture as rationale for your embrace of the practice. You have appealed to science and to the error of past bigots as rationale for accepting the practice. I have merely tried to respond to these extra-biblical/cultural arguments you have made.

It seems you mistake my humble tentativeness when it comes to make any declarations about the will of God for weakness. So I shall put it aside for a moment and put on the demeanor of a fiery prophet, as so many others here, including you, sadly frequently do:
I am not sure where you are getting this. I have never said you are weak. I have said your hermeneutics are weak. I just find them inconsistent and driven more by what those in the future might think of you and the fear of others labeling you a bigot than any sound rationale that comes from the Bible, itself. It just seems to me that the Bible is not the primary authority in your approach to this issue. I am not a prophet and do not pretend to be one. I am just a student and teacher of the Word who tries to follow it as best I can.

I repeat: Paul was human! And however inspired he may have been, he remained human. To claim anything else is blasphemy! Being human and having lived in 1th century AD he can’t have said anything of substance about homosexuality, because he could not have had the slightest concept of what homosexuality is.
Again, I have asked you for a source to back up this claim and you have provided nothing. Of course Paul knew what homosexuality is. There were people practicing homosexuality in the first century! You are the one imagining scenarios that these people were committing homosexual acts but just really didnt WANT to....as if that makes it somehow less homosexual. Yet, I pointed out to you very plainly that the Greek shows Paul referring to how these people lust and desire people of their own sex, thus proving your assertion to be baseless. Paul was not merely condemning idolatrous practices associated with homosexuality or homosexuality void of true lust toward a person of the same sex. You have inserted these ideas into the mind of Paul and they simple are not there. Your argument that Paul had no knowledge of true homosexuality as it is practiced today is nonsense. Can you show me one 1st century document that claims that all the homosexual practices in that era were void of lust and attraction?

The living Word of God that I’m encountered by when reading the Bible, says that God, while He’ll surely forgive you, is not fine with the vile human bigotry that comes out of your mouth!
Well, I disagree that the "living Word" has somehow transformed to the point where not it approves of the things it condemned in the days of Paul. I dont think the living God contradicts himself if given enough time. If believing God's Word makes me a bigot in your eyes, then I will just have to accept that. However, I will not be intimidated by a culture that wants to pressure me and other Christians to dismiss the clear teaching of Scripture for fear of being marginalized and labeled as hate-mongers. Jesus had some pretty harsh words to the churches in Revelation who were willing to compromise his Word in order to engage in the sexual immorality of their day or were willing to sacrifice to idols in order to keep their businesses.

“But I have this against you, that you tolerate that woman Jezebel, who calls herself a prophetess and is teaching and seducing my servants to practice sexual immorality and to eat food sacrificed to idols. I gave her time to repent, but she refuses to repent of her sexual immorality. Behold, I will throw her onto a sickbed, and those who commit adultery with her I will throw into great tribulation, unless they repent of her works, and I will strike her children dead. And all the churches will know that I am he who searches mind and heart, and I will give to each of you according to your works.” (Revelation 2:20–23, ESV)
Doesnt seem to me that Jesus cared what the culture around the churches thought. If he says homosexuality is sexual immorality, then I'll take his word for it rather than yours. There are always people in the churches trying to push believers to get lax on sin and compromise with the world.

“Remember therefore from where you have fallen; repent, and do the works you did at first. If not, I will come to you and remove your lampstand from its place, unless you repent.” (Revelation 2:5, ESV)
One has to wonder if the incredible decline of Mainline denominations is due to their rejection of the Word and embrace of those things which are culturally expedient. Jesus removes lampstands, and it wouldnt surprise me if the free fall of mainline denominations is a result of Jesus' judgment on them due to their rejection of his commands. But again, I am not prophet. Just my own personal hunch.

junobet

May 20, 2016
Germany
Wormwood said:
Well I am sorry you are getting frustrated. As I said, I try to deal with the matter directly and I do think it is one of great importance. I am not trying to frustrate you, but I am just trying to point out what I believe is a great weakness in your approach to interpreting the Bible. I mean, looking at someone's grandpa's hatred for Jews and saying, "Well, they were wrong, maybe we are wrong, too" as a means of justifying something the Bible condemns seems like simply throwing up your hands and saying that the Bible is really too complicated for anyone to understand so we might as well do what we want. I find that approach really concerning and am merely trying to point that out. Obviously, you disagree and that is okay. I am not angry at you, just concerned with your hermeneutics.
[SIZE=medium]What’s frustrating is that I might as well speak to a wall.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]What I was trying to point you to via the example of traditional Protestant Anti-Semitism was not just the danger of getting things wrong, but also that it is bad hermeneutics to randomly pick verses that seem to support our personal aversions whilst overlooking the bigger picture.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]I have no clue what hermeneutics you use, but obviously they do not start with an insistence on precise translation. You seem to pick at random which Biblical commandments to keep literally and which commandments to chuck or interpret more freely. Quite apparently your hermeneutics don’t lead you to an overall view that I had thought we shared: [/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]Christians are free of any law other than the law of Christ, which is love. It is not even a really a law, because you cannot love on command. Our ability to love solely stems from Christ abiding in us.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium][/SIZE][SIZE=medium]Love never fails. But where there are prophecies, they will cease; where there are tongues, they will be stilled; where there is knowledge, it will pass away.[/SIZE] [SIZE=small]9 [/SIZE][SIZE=medium]For we know in part and we prophesy in part,[/SIZE] [SIZE=small]10 [/SIZE][SIZE=medium]but when completeness comes, what is in part disappears.” (1 Cor 13:8-10)[/SIZE]

As for culture shaping my views, certainly that is the case, to a degree. Of course we all have to understand the Biblical culture and try to adapt that to our 21st century context in a way that maintains the principles the Holy Spirit was trying to communicate to 1st century audiences. Moreover, we all have our own cultural lenses we cannot escape. However, to say that my rejection of homosexuality is merely cultural is just not accurate. If anything, I would hold your position if culture was dictating my views on the matter as the practice has been widely embraced in America and I have taken heat for speaking against it when I preach on passages that reference it.
[SIZE=medium]You’ve taken heat? Try speaking out for the acceptance of homosexuality in Church and see how much heat you’ll take then![/SIZE]

Moreover, I have already tried to discuss the text in great detail with you and explain why Paul's comments are not merely cultural. Besides, I am not the one who has sought to make appeals to science and culture as a means of dismissing Paul's words. You are the one who has made appeals to culture as rationale for your embrace of the practice. You have appealed to science and to the error of past bigots as rationale for accepting the practice. I have merely tried to respond to these extra-biblical/cultural arguments you have made.
[SIZE=medium] I wasn’t trying to dismiss Paul’s words, I was trying to explain what he may have meant.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]But I’m beginning to see a gap between us that I wasn’t fully aware of to begin with: You think science and extra-biblical knowledge are a bad thing that you need to protect your faith from. I don’t. Christianity has always embraced being at the top-notch of philosophy and science, starting with Paul effortlessly quoting Greek poetry to bring across his point in Acts 17:28.[/SIZE]

Again, I have asked you for a source to back up this claim and you have provided nothing. Of course Paul knew what homosexuality is.
[SIZE=medium]Well, you can lead a horse to water, but you can’t make it drink.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]Actually I provided you with plenty of sources showing that Paul could not possibly have known what homosexuality is. You on the other hand could know what homosexuality is, but obviously you just don’t want to know.[/SIZE]

Well, I disagree that the "living Word" has somehow transformed to the point where not it approves of the things it condemned in the days of Paul. I dont think the living God contradicts himself if given enough time. If believing God's Word makes me a bigot in your eyes, then I will just have to accept that. However, I will not be intimidated by a culture that wants to pressure me and other Christians to dismiss the clear teaching of Scripture for fear of being marginalized and labeled as hate-mongers. Jesus had some pretty harsh words to the churches in Revelation who were willing to compromise his Word in order to engage in the sexual immorality of their day or were willing to sacrifice to idols in order to keep their businesses.

Doesnt seem to me that Jesus cared what the culture around the churches thought. If he says homosexuality is sexual immorality, then I'll take his word for it rather than yours. There are always people in the churches trying to push believers to get lax on sin and compromise with the world.

One has to wonder if the incredible decline of Mainline denominations is due to their rejection of the Word and embrace of those things which are culturally expedient. Jesus removes lampstands, and it wouldnt surprise me if the free fall of mainline denominations is a result of Jesus' judgment on them due to their rejection of his commands. But again, I am not prophet. Just my own personal hunch.
[SIZE=medium]For somebody who reveres Scripture as the very Word of God you have a rather loose take on it: There’s not a single verse in the entire NT that records Jesus as specifically mentioning same-sex intercourse! [/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium] Ironically by bringing up Jezebel you yourself make the very association between same-sex intercourse and idol-worship, that you so vehemently deny. It was idolatry that was the OT Jezebel’s main crime and we can take it that John of Patmos thought it to be the main crime of the prophetess of Thyateira [/SIZE]when he gives her that OT name.
[SIZE=medium][/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]However, at the point where you basically compare me and my church to Jezebel, we must admit failure at the aim we set out with: not to think worse of the other for not sharing our opinion. Sad really. [/SIZE]

StanJ

May 13, 2014
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
junobet said:
There’s not a single verse in the entire NT that records Jesus as specifically mentioning same-sex intercourse!
Guess you missed these two?

1 Corinthians 6:9
Do you not know that the unrighteous will not inherit the kingdom of God? Do not be deceived: neither the sexually immoral, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor male prostitutes, nor homosexuals.

1 Timothy 1:10
fornicators, men who practice homosexuality, kidnappers, liars, perjurers, and everything else that is contrary to healthy teaching.

junobet

May 20, 2016
Germany
StanJ said:
Guess you missed these two?

Do you not know that the unrighteous will not inherit the kingdom of God? Do not be deceived: neither the sexually immoral, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor male prostitutes, nor homosexuals.

fornicators, men who practice homosexuality, kidnappers, liars, perjurers, and everything else that is contrary to healthy teaching.
You think Jesus wrote 1 Corinthians and 1 Timothy?

Wormwood

Chaps
Apr 9, 2013
California
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
What I was trying to point you to via the example of traditional Protestant Anti-Semitism was not just the danger of getting things wrong, but also that it is bad hermeneutics to randomly pick verses that seem to support our personal aversions whilst overlooking the bigger picture.
Okay, well I am very open to seeing the bigger Scriptural picture if you want to show that to me. Just know that the burden is on you to show that these smaller pericopes of Scripture are somehow dismissed by the overall teaching of Scripture. As someone who has formally studied the Scripture for over a decade, I have never seen such a theme. Yet I am willing to be proven wrong.

[SIZE=medium]Christians are free of any law other than the law of Christ, which is love. It is not even a really a law, because you cannot love on command. Our ability to love solely stems from Christ abiding in us.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium][/SIZE][SIZE=medium]Love never fails. But where there are prophecies, they will cease; where there are tongues, they will be stilled; where there is knowledge, it will pass away.[/SIZE] [SIZE=small]9 [/SIZE][SIZE=medium]For we know in part and we prophesy in part,[/SIZE] [SIZE=small]10 [/SIZE][SIZE=medium]but when completeness comes, what is in part disappears.” (1 Cor 13:8-10)[/SIZE]
Yes, I agree that Christians are bound to the law of love and we are not under the Mosaic law. Yet, this same passage also tells us that love "rejoices in the truth." Love is not merely sexual attraction. Again, if that is love, then why cant I sleep with every women that I find attractive? Does my "love" for such people negate my commitment to my wife? In the same way, does the Christian call to love God and love people mean that we can do things that are detestable to God? Are we loving God and others if we murder? Are we loving God and others if we rape? Are we loving God and others if we steal? So how is it that you see engaging in homosexual acts as something that is loving toward God when Scripture clearly tells us that God disapproves of such behaviors? What kind of love is this? Certainly not the love of Christ which lays down ones own life for the sake of another!

You’ve taken heat? Try speaking out for the acceptance of homosexuality in Church and see how much heat you’ll take then!
Its a controversial issue. But certainly one that is serious. Paul indicates that sexual sins are among the most destructive, so perhaps it is right that we have such internal arguments among Christians. This is not an insignificant issue.

But I’m beginning to see a gap between us that I wasn’t fully aware of to begin with: You think science and extra-biblical knowledge are a bad thing that you need to protect your faith from. I don’t. Christianity has always embraced being at the top-notch of philosophy and science, starting with Paul effortlessly quoting Greek poetry to bring across his point in Acts 17:28.
No, I dont. I was just answering your claim that I am shaped by my culture. My response was simply that I have been trying to make my arguments solely from the Bible. You have been making the bulk of yours based on cultural and scientific claims. I was just pointing out the irony of your accusation toward me...thats all.

Actually I provided you with plenty of sources showing that Paul could not possibly have known what homosexuality is. You on the other hand could know what homosexuality is, but obviously you just don’t want to know.
You never provided one source that suggested early homosexuality was void of attraction or lust...yet you continue to state it to be a fact.

For somebody who reveres Scripture as the very Word of God you have a rather loose take on it: There’s not a single verse in the entire NT that records Jesus as specifically mentioning same-sex intercourse!
Of course there isnt. Jesus never mentions pedophilia or bestiality either! Does that mean he approves of it? Are you making arguments from silence? Why would Jesus need to address an issue that the Jews all agreed was sinful and had no place for in their society for thousands of years? One would think that Jesus WOULD address the issue if he was wanting to confront their wrong thinking on the matter. He certainly didnt have any problem confronting their wrong views on issues like divorce, oaths, paying taxes or treating Samaritans and Romans with kindness!

junobet

May 20, 2016
Germany
Wormwood said:
Okay, well I am very open to seeing the bigger Scriptural picture if you want to show that to me. Just know that the burden is on you to show that these smaller pericopes of Scripture are somehow dismissed by the overall teaching of Scripture. As someone who has formally studied the Scripture for over a decade, I have never seen such a theme. Yet I am willing to be proven wrong.
I have already explained to you how this smaller episcope fits into the bigger picture: the 1 century Roman practices Paul had in mind must indeed have been unnatural and unloving. We know now that such is not the case for homosexual practices per se.

Yes, I agree that Christians are bound to the law of love and we are not under the Mosaic law. Yet, this same passage also tells us that love "rejoices in the truth." Love is not merely sexual attraction. Again, if that is love, then why cant I sleep with every women that I find attractive? Does my "love" for such people negate my commitment to my wife? In the same way, does the Christian call to love God and love people mean that we can do things that are detestable to God? Are we loving God and others if we murder? Are we loving God and others if we rape? Are we loving God and others if we steal? So how is it that you see engaging in homosexual acts as something that is loving toward God when Scripture clearly tells us that God disapproves of such behaviors? What kind of love is this? Certainly not the love of Christ which lays down ones own life for the sake of another!
[SIZE=medium]Rest assured that I am well aware of the difference between agape and eros. [/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]My agape love for my homosexual neighbours, compels me to listen to them and to accept 21th century knowledge on homosexuality which tells us that homosexuality is just as natural or unnatural as heterosexuality. Being concerned about their well-being I will no longer try to change them by futile and often cruel therapies, but accept them and encourage them to live their erotic desires in happy stable relationships. Being concerned about their well-being I will also speak up when somebody uses their imho narrow-minded[/SIZE][SIZE=medium] interpretation of the Bible to unjustly judge and hurt them.[/SIZE]

Its a controversial issue. But certainly one that is serious. Paul indicates that sexual sins are among the most destructive, so perhaps it is right that we have such internal arguments among Christians. This is not an insignificant issue.
It's not half as significant to the Biblical authors as it is for a rather peculiar brand of modern day Christians.

No, I dont. I was just answering your claim that I am shaped by my culture. My response was simply that I have been trying to make my arguments solely from the Bible. You have been making the bulk of yours based on cultural and scientific claims. I was just pointing out the irony of your accusation toward me...thats all.

You never provided one source that suggested early homosexuality was void of attraction or lust...yet you continue to state it to be a fact.
[SIZE=medium]Our core disagreement seems to be our different understanding of progressive revelation, yours being in stark contrast with the fact that Paul himself refutes your implied claim that he was all-knowing (1 Cor. 13:8-12, Phil. 3:12). When he talked about same sex relations he certainly did not know what the American Psychological Associations has to say about homosexuality [/SIZE][SIZE=medium]http://www.apa.org/pi/lgbt/resources/therapeutic-response.pdf[/SIZE][SIZE=medium].[/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]For as long as you refuse to acknowledge any 21th century knowledge that you deem to be in contrast to the Bible (or more like it: your personal[/SIZE][SIZE=medium] interpretation of the Bible) it would be futile to scan the web for even more english-speaking articles that tell you that the ancient world “[/SIZE][SIZE=medium]did not have terms or concepts that correspond to the contemporary dichotomy of ‘heterosexual’ and ‘homosexual’ [/SIZE][SIZE=medium]http://plato.stanford.edu/entries/homosexuality/#His[/SIZE][SIZE=medium]. [/SIZE]

Wormwood said:
Of course there isnt. Jesus never mentions pedophilia or bestiality either! Does that mean he approves of it? Are you making arguments from silence? Why would Jesus need to address an issue that the Jews all agreed was sinful and had no place for in their society for thousands of years? One would think that Jesus WOULD address the issue if he was wanting to confront their wrong thinking on the matter. He certainly didnt have any problem confronting their wrong views on issues like divorce, oaths, paying taxes or treating Samaritans and Romans with kindness!
[SIZE=medium] It is not me who made an argument from silence, but you who made an argument from adding. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]When you know that there isn’t a single verse in the entire Bible in which Jesus is recorded as explicitly mentioning same-sex intercourse, let alone homosexuality, - not even in Rev. 2:20, which in profound ignorance of Mt 5:45 you so kindly threw at me in the spirit of Job's friend Eliphaz - why make the claim that He did? [/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium] As for your logic here: try applying it to slavery and see how that works out for you.[/SIZE]

StanJ

May 13, 2014
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Bump for @junobet

You seem to be unwilling or unable to address these verses that clearly teach against homosexuality and sexual immorality?

junobet

May 20, 2016
Germany
StanJ said:
Bump for @junobet

You seem to be unwilling or unable to address these verses that clearly teach against homosexuality and sexual immorality?

StanJ,
read the thread and you will see that my line of agumentation - which you are of course free to disagree with - covers any mention of same-sex relationships in the Bible. No Biblical author knew the modern term "homosexuality" and what we in the 21th century connect with it. Get yourself a better translation that sticks to the actual words of the original text.

mjrhealth

Mar 15, 2009
Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia

Well that is 100% of the worlds population including all of us, all sin is unrightousness, but really nice to seperate them all as if tehre is any diff, since ita all worthy of death. Good thing Christ dies for us sinners and not the righteous.

StanJ

May 13, 2014
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
junobet said:
StanJ,
read the thread and you will see that my line of agumentation - which you are of course free to disagree with - covers any mention of same-sex relationships in the Bible. No Biblical author knew the modern term "homosexuality" and what we in the 21th century connect with it. Get yourself a better translation that sticks to the actual words of the original text.
You're avoiding the actual issue. The Greek uses the word ἀρσενοκοίτης (arsenokoitēs), which clearly connotes a male engaging in same-gender sexual activity, a sodomite, pedarest, which is the word in the original text.
This means no different than what is shown in Leviticus 18:22; You must not have sexual intercourse with a male as one has sexual intercourse with a woman; it is a detestable act, despite there not being an actual word for homosexual, the Hebrew still conveys the true connotation, just like the Greek.
There's nothing wrong with English translations I use, but there is something wrong with how you perceive the original Greek and Hebrew languages of the Bible. God does not change and neither do his instructions. They are just as relevant and our 21st century as they were when he first made them 5000 years ago.

StanJ

May 13, 2014
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
mjrhealth said:
Well that is 100% of the worlds population including all of us, all sin is unrightousness, but really nice to seperate them all as if tehre is any diff, since ita all worthy of death. Good thing Christ dies for us sinners and not the righteous.
Thanks tips but not the topic we're dealing with here. It would be nice if you could actually try to stay on topic once in awhile.

mjrhealth

Mar 15, 2009
Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Thanks tips but not the topic we're dealing with here. It would be nice if you could actually try to stay on topic once in awhile.
The topic is about sin, singling out one doesnt make it any worse than any other. Are you going to be the one found holding the stone when Jesus turns and says "Woman, where are those thine accusers? hath no man condemned thee?", or are you going to be found condeming others??

junobet

May 20, 2016
Germany
StanJ said:
You're avoiding the actual issue. The Greek uses the word ἀρσενοκοίτης (arsenokoitēs), which clearly connotes a male engaging in same-gender sexual activity, a sodomite, pedarest, which is the word in the original text.
This means no different than what is shown in Leviticus 18:22; You must not have sexual intercourse with a male as one has sexual intercourse with a woman; it is a detestable act, despite there not being an actual word for homosexual, the Hebrew still conveys the true connotation, just like the Greek.
There's nothing wrong with English translations I use, but there is something wrong with how you perceive the original Greek and Hebrew languages of the Bible. God does not change and neither do his instructions. They are just as relevant and our 21st century as they were when he first made them 5000 years ago.

The actual issue that caused me to start the thread is, that “the ancient Greeks did not have terms or concepts that correspond to the contemporary dichotomy of ‘heterosexual’ and ‘homosexual’” (http://plato.stanford.edu/entries/homosexuality/). If you want to find out what homosexuality is you will have to start with reading Richard Krafft-Ebing: Psychopathia Sexualis (1886) and work yourself up to the current discussion of homosexuality in the field of both natural and social sciences. Of course that leads you to extra-biblical evidence, but seeing that you don’t shy away from using an extra-biblical term you might as well inform yourself what exactly it is that you cast judgement on, when you use it.
In the course of that you may learn that a man having sex with another man doesn’t necessarily make any of them homosexual. When a heterosexual male prisoner rapes another heterosexual male prisoner for want of a woman or mere demonstration of power, their sexual orientation is still heterosexual. And if you have a look at history you’ll find that men practising same-sex intercourse in 1th century Rome were often married to a woman and asides kept male slaves and prostitutes for their pleasure.
If you take the Bible to be the verbally inspired of Word of God, why do you not want to stay as close to the original text in your translation as possible? Using the word “homosexual” is simply imprecise and renders a meaning to the text that it could not possibly have carried whilst probably obscuring another.

StanJ

May 13, 2014
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
junobet said:
The actual issue that caused me to start the thread is, that “the ancient Greeks did not have terms or concepts that correspond to the contemporary dichotomy of ‘heterosexual’ and ‘homosexual’” (http://plato.stanford.edu/entries/homosexuality/). If you want to find out what homosexuality is you will have to start with reading Richard Krafft-Ebing: Psychopathia Sexualis (1886) and work yourself up to the current discussion of homosexuality in the field of both natural and social sciences. Of course that leads you to extra-biblical evidence, but seeing that you don’t shy away from using an extra-biblical term you might as well inform yourself what exactly it is that you cast judgement on, when you use it.
In the course of that you may learn that a man having sex with another man doesn’t necessarily make any of them homosexual. When a heterosexual male prisoner rapes another heterosexual male prisoner for want of a woman or mere demonstration of power, their sexual orientation is still heterosexual. And if you have a look at history you’ll find that men practising same-sex intercourse in 1th century Rome were often married to a woman and asides kept male slaves and prostitutes for their pleasure.
If you take the Bible to be the verbally inspired of Word of God, why do you not want to stay as close to the original text in your translation as possible? Using the word “homosexual” is simply imprecise and renders a meaning to the text that it could not possibly have carried whilst probably obscuring another.
I could care less what Stanford has to say about modern perceptions of homosexuality. I know what the word means and I know what the Bible means and I have no problem with understanding either. The Bible is not influenced by modern liberal thinking or acceptance of aberrant behavior as being normal or acceptable. This is a Christian forum and we're talking about biblical acceptance and norms, not social ones.
Regardless of why a man does the sex act with a man, or a woman with a woman, it's still the ACT that's condemned and as such the participants in that act for doing so. If you think a homosexual relation can exist without the sex act then you are sorely undereducated. There's nothing imprecise about the Bible but there's something definitely wrong with people that try to pull out distort and dilute what the Bible says to fit into their own social norms.