How can I know I am saved?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Status
Not open for further replies.

TallMan

Jul 20, 2007
Say I come to one of your meetings, can I go out KNOWING I am saved?If so, how?

tim_from_pa

Jul 11, 2007
Which meeting is that? I'll tell you how one can know by the Bible,But as many as received him, to them gave he power to become the sons of God, even to them that believe on his name:Which were born, not of blood, nor of the will of the flesh, nor of the will of man, but of God.So, not only receiving Him does one become saved, but according to this passage one is born again by God's (not man's) will.Now, I'll let the rest of the folks here battle-ax it out as to what "receiving" entails.

TallMan

Jul 20, 2007
(tim_from_pa;61043)
Which meeting is that?
Meetings were an integral part of the communion of the people of God in the New Testament, what faith are you?(tim_from_pa;61043)
I'll tell you how one can know by the Bible,
To do that you need to show what receiving him entails.How can I KNOW that I have received Him.If we cannot know we are saved, what did Jesus leave us?

tim_from_pa

Jul 11, 2007
To do that you need to show what receiving him entails.How can I KNOW that I have received Him.If we cannot know we are saved, what did Jesus leave us?
Whosoever cometh to me, and heareth my sayings, and doeth them, I will shew you to whom he is like: He is like a man which built an house, and digged deep, and laid the foundation on a rock: and when the flood arose, the stream beat vehemently upon that house, and could not shake it: for it was founded upon a rock.and Paul also said,The Spirit itself beareth witness with our spirit, that we are the children of GodFirst we come to Christ, i.e. He who comes to me I will in no wise cast out. That act shows that God already chosen us. But then it is our choice to follow him:We then learn and grow in faith by hearing the Word, i.e. Faith cometh by hearing....and then we do them, like any kid of a father we are chips off the ol' block and emulate the things of God---- our thinking, talking and doing becomes changed, hence as Paul said, bears witness with our spirit.

3rddaymessenger

Oct 17, 2008
(TallMan;61042)
TallMan; Christianity being a personal relationship with God, I believe that KNOWING comes from communicating with Him. When there comes that time when He grants you "repentance to the acknowledging of the Truth", you will EXPERIENCE His forgiveness and sense His mercy upon your heart and life.Being "born-again" is a super-natural experience. You may not be aware a your natural birth, but being born-again as accountable individuals, you will be acutely aware of this NEW birth. But it is kind of like trying to explain to someone what water feels like. You will never KNOW until you jump in. You will KNOW when "it happens to you". Some people say, "Just receive it by faith, whether you feel anything or not." But I dissagree with this. FAITH is Revelation...an impartation from God that you KNOW* "that you HAVE Etertnal Life" (1 John 5:13).Christians can actually say, when asked how they know they are saved..."I know because I was there when it happened!" One thing that I judged my new birth by was the Scripture in 1John 3:14 "We know that we have passed from death unto life, because we love the brethren..." When I got saved I felt an overwhelming love for God's people and a strong sense of being a part of this new family...separated from the world.

TallMan

Jul 20, 2007
(Follower;61045)
You will know you are saved if you desire to be obedient to God.
Can you show that point of view from scripture?

TallMan

Jul 20, 2007
(tim_from_pa;61046)
Whosoever cometh to me, and heareth my sayings, and doeth them,
So a person isn't saved until they do all Jesus sayings?Are there any in particular that one has to do to know that one is saved?(tim_from_pa;61046)
The Spirit itself beareth witness with our spirit, that we are the children of God
What did Paul mean by that?

TallMan

Jul 20, 2007
(3rddaymessenger;61049)
[/SIZE]Christians can actually say, when asked how they know they are saved..."I know because I was there when it happened!"
I never read that in scripture, can you give an example?(3rddaymessenger;61049)
[SIZE="3]One thing that I judged my new birth by was the Scripture in 1John 3:14 "We know that we have passed from death unto life, because we love the brethren..." When I got saved I felt an overwhelming love for God's people and a strong sense of being a part of this new family...separated from the world.
If this feeling goes or wanes, is a person still saved?

tim_from_pa

Jul 11, 2007
(TallMan;61057)
So a person isn't saved until they do all Jesus sayings?Are there any in particular that one has to do to know that one is saved?
No, he or she does them because they are saved, and that is the evidence that one is saved, which is the understanding I think you are seeking. (TallMan;61057)
What did Paul mean by that?
LedG71ἄγωagōag'-oA primary verb; properly to lead; by implication to bring, drive, (reflexively) go, (specifically) pass (time), or (figuratively) induce: - be, bring (forth), carry, (let) go, keep, lead away, be open.Back to my cat analogy that I used on other threads. A kitten is born a cat. If they are truly a cat (c.f. led of the Spirit of God) they will meow because they are a cat. It has to do with the nature of oneself because of what they are.Likewise, if one is born of the Spirit, it means just that so that their nature will manifest itself that way. They come, hear, and do (after they are born).

3rddaymessenger

Oct 17, 2008
(TallMan;61060)
I never read that in scripture, can you give an example?If this feeling goes or wanes, is a person still saved?
To be quite honest, this "feeling" of loving God's people and being separate from the world HAS NEVER WANED for me.If it DOES WANE for an individual...I would suggest that he or she "work out their own salvation with fear and trembling".Hebrews 11:6 "But without faith it is impossible to please Him: for he that cometh to God must believe that He is, and that He is a rewarder of them that diligently seek Him"I almost get the feeling that TallMan is just "playing the part" of a sceptic. Forgive me if I'm wrong, but when Scriptures are shared in a desire to answer your questions, I would suggest that you take them to God in prayer and seek His face for the answers and assurance that you need.I can't help wondering what possible "answer" you could be sincerely looking for to satisfy your question. All we can do is share our experiences and then the individual must seek God for the assurance of Salvation. It comes from Him.

tim_from_pa

Jul 11, 2007
I almost get the feeling that TallMan is just "playing the part" of a sceptic. Forgive me if I'm wrong, but when Scriptures are shared in a desire to answer your questions, I would suggest that you take them to God in prayer and seek His face for the answers and assurance that you need.
You are somewhat right. The questions are rhetorical, and I know that. Somehow I get the feeling that this is fashioned to end up a thread about speaking in tongues.No problem. I'm as much to blame. A lot of my conversations end up talking about the lost 10 tribes of Israel, or maybe the Great Pyramid, or the gospel in the stars or similar esoteric topics.

Jordan

Apr 6, 2007
(tim_from_pa;61090)
(3rddaymessenger;61081)
...I almost get the feeling that TallMan is just "playing the part" of a sceptic. Forgive me if I'm wrong, but when Scriptures are shared in a desire to answer your questions, I would suggest that you take them to God in prayer and seek His face for the answers and assurance that you need....
You are somewhat right. The questions are rhetorical, and I know that. Somehow I get the feeling that this is fashioned to end up a thread about speaking in tongues.No problem. I'm as much to blame. A lot of my conversations end up talking about the lost 10 tribes of Israel, or maybe the Great Pyramid, or the gospel in the stars or similar esoteric topics.You're, it's most likely will turn up to be about speaking in tongue REQUIREMENT, which is full of rubbish.

savedbygrace57

Nov 15, 2007
(TallMan;61042)
Only God can give assurance of salvation..lk 1: 77To give knowledge of salvation unto his people by the remission of their sins,

Jordan

Apr 6, 2007
(polyhuman;61150)
(TallMan;61042)
meetings or attendance of meets means nothingbeing saved means that you have lead a good life.you contribute to societyyou help otherslive life as Jesus did.not hating others, or telling others how to live their life.some people think that mass attendance and confession will get you into heaven. this is wrong. you actually have to make the change. most people confess their sins and then commit them again ten minutes later. people confess their sins because it makes them feel better about what they did, instead of actually having to change it.you'll be saved if you can stop doing those negative thingsEphesians 2:8-9 - For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God: Not of works, lest any man should boast.That being said, you can lead to a "good life" and still fall.

Jordan

Apr 6, 2007
(polyhuman;61158)
(Jordan;61155)
Ephesians 2:8-9 - For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God: Not of works, lest any man should boast.That being said, you can lead to a "good life" and still fall.
you're a ridiculous conservativei can't wait for my generation to take over, and show you that you are indeed wrong.i hear it from my grandma all of the time.yet she cheated on her husband, and ruined pat of the lives of my dad and uncle's.such strong words coming from someone who is mighty flawed and very much a hypocrite .my generation will show you that by being a kind person you will never fallSo you listen to a word from men over the words from God?

tim_from_pa

Jul 11, 2007
(polyhuman;61158)
you're a ridiculous conservativei can't wait for my generation to take over, and show you that you are indeed wrong.i hear it from my grandma all of the time.yet she cheated on her husband, and ruined pat of the lives of my dad and uncle's. such strong words coming from someone who is mighty flawed and very much a hypocrite .my generation will show you that by being a kind person you will never fall
You're wrong, they are already taking over. I've noticed great improvements like Aids, homosexuality, lack of respect, increased crime, lack of constitutional thinking in government (and becoming like the rest of the dummied-down nations), medical science with a pill for everything and so forth.We certainly did not have as much of these improvements in the conservative and church-going generation of the past. Heaven forbid, kids used to do strange stuff like laugh and play outside together without fear of stalkers, have milk and apple pie which we now know needs to be replaced with cholesterol-free foods, artificial sugar and other substitutes and so forth. Even kids need to be on cholesterol pills now. And of all the horrors, kids would actually have a mommy and a daddy.Geeez. I thought I used to like the old days. Whatever was wrong with me? If off now to repair an appliance in my home here. Let's see, I'll need a nut and a bolt to tighten it together. Oh, I got that wrong. The old thinking is not useful any longer. I'm illogical. Anyone can see the job now needs two bolts. Or maybe two nuts, How about just one bolt and many nuts?

tim_from_pa

Jul 11, 2007
To the moderators:If you want my opinion, I'd nip this in the bud now if you know what I mean.I've noticed an increase in stuff like this since the non-Christian board was shut down. And what does that say? It says that some attackers come on here under the guise of being Christian or questioning something.They want to improve the world without Christianity? A noble cause, I'm sure. However, they are not off to a good start. I'll tell you why. If one has to use deception to "improve the world" then they are of the same abysmal level as the powers that be that they rail against. Clearly, It's the pot calling the kettle black. Another name for it is the same thing they accuse Christians of being: smug holier-than-thou self-righteousness.

Jordan

Apr 6, 2007
(tim_from_pa;61195)
To the moderators:If you want my opinion, I'd nip this in the bud now if you know what I mean.I've noticed an increase in stuff like this since the non-Christian board was shut down. And what does that say? It says that some attackers come on here under the guise of being Christian or questioning something.They want to improve the world without Christianity? A noble cause, I'm sure. However, they are not off to a good start. I'll tell you why. If one has to use deception to "improve the world" then they are of the same abysmal level as the powers that be that they rail against. Clearly, It's the pot calling the kettle black. Another name for it is the same thing they accuse Christians of being: smug holier-than-thou self-righteousness.
I can see that happening. So I agree. Anybody can claim to be a Christian.

tim_from_pa

Jul 11, 2007
(Jordan;61203)
I can see that happening. So I agree. Anybody can claim to be a Christian.
Yeah, time for the old padlock at least. The thread started with a rhetorical question and then another took advantage of it. Nothing is being said any longer that is edifying.

Status
Not open for further replies.