How did Jesus keep from sinning?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Big Boy Johnson

Sep 28, 2023
North America
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
1 John 1:9-10
9 If WE confess OUR sins, He is faithful and just to forgive US OUR sins and to cleanse US from all unrighteousness.
10 If WE say that WE have not sinned, WE make Him a liar, and His word is not in US.

Did verse 10.... cancel out verse 9 ???

Verse 9 says the Lord would cleanse us of ALL unrighteousness... so does verse 10 mean verse 9 is not true?

Did you also see the other things the Lord Jesus said thru John???

1 John 3:6
Whosoever abideth in him sinneth not

1 John 2:4
He that saith, I know him, and keepeth not his commandments, is a liar, and the truth is not in him.

1 John 1:6
if we say that we have fellowship with him, and walk in darkness, we lie, and do not the truth:

1 John 2:1
I write these things unto you, that ye sin not

Maybe we should... read the rest of the story and plan on NOT doing sinful stuff, just to be safe?

ommitting a sin does not send a Christian to Hell.

If one does not repent from their sin and confess it... HOW would they get cleansed of the unrighteousness that they became when they sinned?

Galatians 6:7-8 (see Gen 8:22)
Be not deceived; God is not mocked: for whatsoever a man soweth, that shall he also reap.
For
he that soweth to his flesh shall of the flesh reap corruption; but he that soweth to the Spirit shall of the Spirit reap life everlasting.

Galatians 6:7-8 is telling us it would be mocking God to say we do not reap corruption after sowing to the flesh.

Sounds rather odd that anyone would argue in favor of sin clueless-scratching.gif

And what did God do? Did He not continue to protect all who looked to Him and had not fully turned their backs on Him?

So, it's cool to turn out backs on God a little bit?

Just as long as we don't FULLY turn our backs on Him?

The standard in the New Covenant is higher than that...

There is no excuse for sin of any kind.

Apparently there is funny.gif

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Or, worse yet, I could find myself questioning my established dogma.

:hearteyes:
I'm not sure I understand what you are expressing here . . .

I think we need to determine what the Writer had in mind by using language as it is used, and then submit ourselves to that.

Much love!

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
We should wait on the Lord and see what HE had in mind... since He is the author

And we should see what God said on the subject in other places in scripture.
Of course! And He reveals His truth to those who seek Him.

Much love!

Big Boy Johnson

Sep 28, 2023
North America
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Of course! And He reveals His truth to those who seek Him.

... those that seek Him in what He has said to mankind... which is His written Word.

Some folk think that the thoughts they get came from God... if it doesn't agree with His word, those thoughts came from the devil and not from God.

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
... those that seek Him in what He has said to mankind... which is His written Word.

Some folk think that the thoughts they get came from God... if it doesn't agree with His word, those thoughts came from the devil and not from God.
Agreed, if you think God is telling you something and Scripture disagrees, accept Scripture over your own opinions of your perceptions, that God is speaking to you.

For myself, God has trained me to know His voice, and He does not ever contradict His Word. Of course, your own mind can make you think you are hearing from God when you aren't. We needn't look for a demon behind every chair.

Much love!

BarneyFife

Dec 19, 2019
Central PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Even so but How many were killed along the way and how many failed to finally enter the Promised Land of those adults who followed Moses out of Egypt? Only two!
Does this relate to the number who walk God today but who will likewise fail to make it to their Promised Land?

I won't judge him nor all of those who died in the wilderness. Who am I to judge?

Better off? Does the following standard of God spoken by Jesus apply equally to all men according to God who according to OT and NT verses is no respecter of persons?

Lu 12:48But he that knew not, and did commit things worthy of stripes, shall be beaten with few stripes. For unto whomsoever much is given, of him shall be much required: and to whom men have committed much, of him they will ask the more.

Fair enough

:hearteyes:

Truthnightmare

Dec 11, 2019
Athens
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
James 1:13 When tempted, no one should say, “God is tempting me.” For God cannot be tempted by evil, nor does he tempt anyone;

Reactions: BarneyFife

Scott Downey

Dec 19, 2021
New Brunswick
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
How could God sin? He wrote the book against sin and sinning. And Christ is the Word of God become flesh, read John 1.

5 Let this mind be in you which was also in Christ Jesus, 6 who, being in the form of God, did not consider it [b]robbery to be equal with God, 7 but [c]made Himself of no reputation, taking the form of a bondservant, and coming in the likeness of men. 8 And being found in appearance as a man, He humbled Himself and became obedient to the point of death, even the death of the cross. 9 Therefore God also has highly exalted Him and given Him the name which is above every name, 10 that at the name of Jesus every knee should bow, of those in heaven, and of those on earth, and of those under the earth, 11 and that every tongue should confess that Jesus Christ is Lord, to the glory of God the Father.

In the beginning was
a. the Word,
b. and the Word was with God,
c. and the Word was God.

14 And the Word became flesh and dwelt among us, and we beheld His glory, the glory as of the only begotten of the Father, full of grace and truth.

John 8:42
Jesus said to them, “If God were your Father, you would love Me, for I proceeded forth and came from God; nor have I come of Myself, but He sent Me.

Last edited:

Red Baker

Jan 10, 2024
Easley
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Let's see what we might find in scripture. First off, Jesus had God for His Father from birth. None of us can make that claim. God is spirit, and it is to be considered that, while Jesus was flesh and blood and like man in every physical way, that does not mean His spirit was like ours.
We fully agree that Jesus was conceived by the Holy Ghost per Luke 1:31-35.

Yet, his spirit within him was his own spirit like all flesh and blood have. Being without sin he did have the fullness of the Godhead bodily within him~Colossians 2:9. He was the perfect image of the invisible God. Colossians 1:15....... without controversy a great mystery.
The only reason we think that Jesus was born under the law is because of a comma in our English bible translations. His mother was born under the law, but scripture tells us specifically that Jesus was born as the New Covenant. A comma was inserted in a place where it did not exist in manuscripts. I submit that this comma was an interpretation of a translator.

Ga 4:3–5 - But when the fullness of time had come, God sent forth his Son, born of woman, born under the law, to redeem those who were under the law, so that we might receive adoption as sons.
Without spending a lot of time on this point, we will say that you err greatly here.

Made under the law describes Jesus as subject to the Law and condemned by it for us, for He both obeyed its every precept and died as a perfect substitute under its penalty (3:13).

To redeem them that were under the law, that we might receive the adoption of sons.​

As Paul had already taught, Jesus because a curse for those under the Law’s curse (3:13). So he was indeed made under the law~at his death, the New Covenant was put into force.​

What does redeem mean? It means to buy back. From what? The curse of God’s holy law! What do the elect inherit? Jesus Christ, sonship, heaven, and God Himself (4:7; Rom 8:17). These are amazing concepts, given that men are lowly rebel enemies of the most high God.

There is a huge difference between being a servant under the tutors and governors of the Law of Moses and the freedom and liberty of being the sons of God by promised salvation!

The adoption here, by its association with Christ’s redeeming death, is legal adoption as sons. God’s elect were predestinated to adoption as the sons of God (Romans 8:29; Eph 1:3-6). Jesus Christ came in human form to pay the legal price for our adoption (Heb 2:14-17). Then the Holy Spirit imparts a new nature created like unto God (John 1:12-13; 3:3-6).

We are amazed that Jesus did not sin.
Why would you say that? He was the only begotten Son of God in the manner in which he was begotten. He prove to be God's Son by the perfect spirit of holiness. Romans 1:4.

As for temptation, Jesus, born of God could not be tempted "by evil."
Sir, you are so wrong again. Jesus was a complex person, fully God, yet fully man and capable of sinning. He defeated Satan, and sin as the man Christ Jesus, since his Divine nature could not be tempted.
It is worth noting that Jesus had to be more than "just a man," but He was not God. He was, as He himself claimed, the Son of God.
You have just denied Jesus Christ as being the mighty God. If he was indeed ( and he was ) the Son of God, then that made him equal to God~even the blinded Pharisees understood this one point.
If God was his father and he was, then that within itself made him equal to God and HE WAS.

Reactions: Scott Downey

12question

Dec 9, 2023
Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
You seemed to be questioning whether Jesus knew what He was talking about in the following quote:

I'm just wondering how you know that Jesus and satan only had 3 conversations when Jesus' Father had Him led by His Spirit to be tempted by Satan. Jesus obviously told people what He experienced but from all that Jesus told people only a few things were eventually selected by only 3 of them and only these 3 guys' records were added to what a few others decided should be in a canon known as the bible. Why only these 3 encounters were selected we may have to ask those who selected them or God Who knows all things.
No, I wouldn't question Jesus' ability to recall what He went through when His Father led Him into temptation. Matt 4:1 Then Jesus was led up by the Spirit into the wilderness to be tempted by the devil. It sounds like it wasn't something someone would easily forget. In fact, when Jesus' disciples asked Him how to pray Jesus said, Our Father in Heaven...lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from the evil one. He knew what it was like to be led into temptation by His Father.

So, I don't question what Jesus' recounts to His disciples but I do question the recording of the extent of what Jesus narrates. Obviously a blow by blow account of what happened over those 40 plus days aren't recounted by Jesus nor recorded by anyone. Again, the bible is extremely limited, that's what I'm saying, yet it can be profitable and beneficial.

• Love
Reactions: Ritajanice

Scott Downey

Dec 19, 2021
New Brunswick
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
We fully agree that Jesus was conceived by the Holy Ghost per Luke 1:31-35.

Yet, his spirit within him was his own spirit like all flesh and blood have. Being without sin he did have the fullness of the Godhead bodily within him~Colossians 2:9. He was the perfect image of the invisible God. Colossians 1:15....... without controversy a great mystery.

Without spending a lot of time on this point, we will say that you err greatly here.

Made under the law describes Jesus as subject to the Law and condemned by it for us, for He both obeyed its every precept and died as a perfect substitute under its penalty (3:13).

To redeem them that were under the law, that we might receive the adoption of sons.​

As Paul had already taught, Jesus because a curse for those under the Law’s curse (3:13). So he was indeed made under the law~at his death, the New Covenant was put into force.​

What does redeem mean? It means to buy back. From what? The curse of God’s holy law! What do the elect inherit? Jesus Christ, sonship, heaven, and God Himself (4:7; Rom 8:17). These are amazing concepts, given that men are lowly rebel enemies of the most high God.

There is a huge difference between being a servant under the tutors and governors of the Law of Moses and the freedom and liberty of being the sons of God by promised salvation!

The adoption here, by its association with Christ’s redeeming death, is legal adoption as sons. God’s elect were predestinated to adoption as the sons of God (Romans 8:29; Eph 1:3-6). Jesus Christ came in human form to pay the legal price for our adoption (Heb 2:14-17). Then the Holy Spirit imparts a new nature created like unto God (John 1:12-13; 3:3-6).

Why would you say that? He was the only begotten Son of God in the manner in which he was begotten. He prove to be God's Son by the perfect spirit of holiness. Romans 1:4.

Sir, you are so wrong again. Jesus was a complex person, fully God, yet fully man and capable of sinning. He defeated Satan, and sin as the man Christ Jesus, since his Divine nature could not be tempted.

You have just denied Jesus Christ as being the mighty God. If he was indeed ( and he was ) the Son of God, then that made him equal to God~even the blinded Pharisees understood this one point.

If God was his father and he was, then that within itself made him equal to God and HE WAS.
Yes, He was born under the Law and Mary and Joseph had Him circumcised and offered the required blood sacrifice as required under the Law of Moses.
Luke 2

Circumcision of Jesus​

21 And when eight days were completed [g]for the circumcision of the Child, His name was called Jesus, the name given by the angel before He was conceived in the womb.

Jesus Presented in the Temple​

22 Now when the days of her purification according to the law of Moses were completed, they brought Him to Jerusalem to present Him to the Lord 23 (as it is written in the law of the Lord, “Every male who opens the womb shall be called holy to the Lord”), 24 and to offer a sacrifice according to what is said in the law of the Lord, “A pair of turtledoves or two young pigeons.”

The Family Returns to Nazareth​

39 So when they had performed all things according to the law of the Lord, they returned to Galilee, to their own city, Nazareth. 40 And the Child grew and became strong [k]in spirit, filled with wisdom; and the grace of God was upon Him.

Scott Downey

Dec 19, 2021
New Brunswick
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada

Christ Fulfills the Law​

17 “Do not think that I came to destroy the Law or the Prophets. I did not come to destroy but to fulfill.
18 For assuredly, I say to you, till heaven and earth pass away, one [b]jot or one [c]tittle will by no means pass from the law till all is fulfilled.

And this in Romans 10

1 Brethren, my heart’s desire and prayer to God for [a]Israel is that they may be saved. 2 For I bear them witness that they have a zeal for God, but not according to knowledge. 3 For they being ignorant of God’s righteousness, and seeking to establish their own righteousness, have not submitted to the righteousness of God.

4 For Christ is the end of the law for righteousness to everyone who believes.

5 For Moses writes about the righteousness which is of the law, “The man who does those things shall live by them.” 6 But the righteousness of faith speaks in this way, “Do not say in your heart, ‘Who will ascend into heaven?’ ” (that is, to bring Christ down from above) 7 or, “ ‘Who will descend into the abyss?’ ” (that is, to bring Christ up from the dead). 8 But what does it say? “The word is near you, in your mouth and in your heart” (that is, the word of faith which we preach): 9 that if you confess with your mouth the Lord Jesus and believe in your heart that God has raised Him from the dead, you will be saved. 10 For with the heart one believes unto righteousness, and with the mouth confession is made unto salvation. 11 For the Scripture says, “Whoever believes on Him will not be put to shame.” 12 For there is no distinction between Jew and Greek, for the same Lord over all is rich to all who call upon Him. 13 For “whoever calls on the name of the Lord shall be saved.”