How do we develop the tools for not being taken in by poor philosphy? Also, dangerious Theology?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

The Learner

Aug 21, 2022
Brighton
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
How do we develop the tools for not being taken in by poor philosphy? Also, dangerious Theology?

ShineTheLight

May 7, 2021
Beaverton
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Studying the word and have your senses exercised to discern good and evil.

Any chance you can sort out your spelling in this title?

How do we develop the tools for not being taken in by poor philosphy? Also, dangerious Theology?​

Should be philosophy and dangerous.

Did you come to this thread other than to be a grammar cop?

• Love
Reactions: The Learner

quietthinker

May 4, 2018
FNQ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia

How do we develop the tools for not being taken in by poor philosphy? Also, dangerious Theology?​

Knowing Jesus becomes the guiding light in understanding/ interpreting scripture. It will shield from slippery philosophies and dangerous theologies.
How does one do that ie, apply knowing him to scripture? that is the question.

I frequent a regular pow pow on the Zoom platform which explores/ discusses these things. It is open to all whose hearts are curious want to know. If any are interested I'm happy to give you the relevant details.

Stumpmaster

Apr 5, 2009
Hamilton, New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Country
New Zealand
Did you come to this thread other than to be a grammar cop?
I believe in upskilling. Correction is a biblical concept. For edification and comfort it is appropriate to advise on spelling, punctuation, and grammatical errors. One should also work to improve their diction if necessary.

Please Note the Difference between Spelling and Grammar as collated by BingChat:

Grammar and spelling are both important elements of writing, but they are different concepts that merit their own discussion. Grammar deals with how words change their form and come together to make meaningful sentences, while spelling refers to how letters come together to form words 1. Both grammar and spelling are needed for clear written communication, but they’re not the same 1.
I hope this helps! Let me know if you have any other questions.

Cassandra

Sep 24, 2021
Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I believe in upskilling. Correction is a biblical concept. For edification and comfort it is appropriate to advise on spelling, punctuation, and grammatical errors. One should also work to improve their diction if necessary.

Please Note the Difference between Spelling and Grammar as collated by BingChat:

Grammar and spelling are both important elements of writing, but they are different concepts that merit their own discussion. Grammar deals with how words change their form and come together to make meaningful sentences, while spelling refers to how letters come together to form words 1. Both grammar and spelling are needed for clear written communication, but they’re not the same 1.
Can you send an email next time instead of trying to correct someone in public? It appears as if you are trying to puff yourself up.

And be careful. Folks will be taking hard looks at your posts for any corrections that need to be made.

• Love

Behold

Apr 11, 2020
Netanya or Pensacola
Faith
Christian
Country
Israel

By learning how to discern Truth from "almost" Truth.

By learning how to discern Heretics,= how to spot them... how to hear them.

Where to Start?

You have to start by being born again, and not just water baptized and religious.
Once the person is THAT ONE, then you have to go directly to this verse, do what is says to do with your heart....and LIVE THERE as your Faith, until you meet Jesus in person.

Hebrews 13:9

The Learner

Aug 21, 2022
Brighton
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Free Grammar Checker (Online Editor) found 7 errors in your post friend. :)

Stumpmaster

Apr 5, 2009
Hamilton, New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Country
New Zealand
Can you send an email next time instead of trying to correct someone in public? It appears as if you are trying to puff yourself up.

And be careful. Folks will be taking hard looks at your posts for any corrections that need to be made.
Are you the etiquette police?

• Haha
Reactions: Debp

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Studying the word and have your senses exercised to discern good and evil.
Not just study, though.

Hebrews 5:14 KJV
But strong meat belongeth to them that are of full age, even those who by reason of use have their senses exercised to discern both good and evil.

Read the Bible, and do what it says. In so doing, you will come to understand what is good and what is evil.

Much love!

Reactions: Debp

The Learner

Aug 21, 2022
Brighton
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I think one should first study True Theology and the Bible to know what is Perfect truth. Then Study viarations within Christian Churches who hold to the Major Theology to know what their minor theologies are. Once, grounded on a firm foundation of Our Lord and Savior, review the false teachings on Majors only of Cults like Mormonism, Christain Science, Jehovah's Witnesses, Unification Church, Mind Scince cults, false world religions, New Age garbage ---so, one will recognize that pollutions when you encounter them. Then restudy True Theology and the Bible to stay on track.

Arthur81

Jul 9, 2023
Tampa, Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Learner,
Your question is a good indication you are being dealt with by the Holy Spirit, so probably a regenerate person, or placing yourself in the role of such a person. God has given us teachers:

"And he gave some, apostles; and some, prophets; and some, evangelists; and some, pastors and teachers;" (Eph 4:11 KJV)

Yet there are warnings given, or a 'heads up' so to speak:

"From which some having swerved have turned aside unto vain jangling; Desiring to be teachers of the law; understanding neither what they say, nor whereof they affirm." (1Tim 1:6-7 KJV)

"But there were false prophets also among the people, even as there shall be false teachers among you, who privily shall bring in damnable heresies, even denying the Lord that bought them, and bring upon themselves swift destruction." (2Pet 2:1 KJV)

I've had a couple of serious health issues, one of which can be instantly deadly. How did I research to learn more about my circumstances? I paid attention to web sites of clinics and hospitals of standing reputations: The Cleveland Clinic, May Clinic, John Hopkins, Harvard Health, etc. In our spiritual health we are wise to do likewise. Just as you can find very weird ideas online about physical health issues, you can find the same dangerous weirdness in the religious teachings found online. The Scriptures tell us a test of truth:

"The lip of truth shall be established for ever: but a lying tongue is but for a moment." (Prov 12:19 KJV)
"Truthful speech stands firm for ever, but lies live only for a moment." (Prov 12:19 REB)

"Thus says the LORD: Stand at the crossroads, and look, and ask for the ancient paths, where the good way lies; and walk in it, and find rest for your souls. ...” (Jer 6:16 NRSV)

This is where the historic teaching of the churches come to us in catechism and confession. Truth that has stood firm over time. For instance:

Anglican Catechism: https://www.dioceseofsanjoaquin.net/uploads/1/9/3/7/19374831/anglican_catechism_extended.pdf

Presbyterian/Reformed Shorter Catechism: Westminster Shorter Catechism

Confession of the United Methodist Church: Confession of Faith of The Evangelical United Brethren Church

Lutheran Doctrinal Standards: The Formula of Concord ~ Epitome

The 1646 Confession of Faith of Seven [Baptist] Churches: First London Confession of 1646 | Reformed Theology at A Puritan's Mind

*In the spirit of full disclosure, this last Confession of 1646 is the statement of faith that best represents my own understanding of the Christian faith. Yet, I consider as brothers those of the other churches I've listed.

• Love