How Do We Get "In The Spirit"?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
So then with that course correction imparted by @Dave L . . .

Considering that God calls us to fellowship with Him, this is His will for us. And if it is God's will that we fellowship with Him, I have to ask myself, is it my will to fellowship with Him? And if it is, then do I? And if I don't, Why not?

And for me, so often, the answer has been, I've felt disqualified. Stained by sins. But in Christ all guilt is removed. Therefore this is a deception. and we are free to approach His throne.

Much love!

Reactions: Helen

GTW27

Dec 6, 2018
wilderness
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hi GTW27,

I think that when John was on Patmos, and had his vision of The Revelation of Jesus Christ, when he says there, I was in the Spirit on the Lord's day, I just somehow think he meant something different, but I couldn't offer any evidence, just my own sense that he was saying something like the Spirit took me away in a vision, something like that.

But I still feel I quite will understand the question you ask, it's what I want too.

I remember various times when I was suddenly overwhelmed with beautiful emotions, and worship for God just started pouring out of me, wonderful times! I think those were times that God gave me a fresh filling of the Spirit, something extra, for that time.

Then there is the daily walk.

I believe that we are ever and always in the Spirit, being born again, but that we don't always walk in the Spirit.

I've come to believe that what holds us back from enjoying the full and eternal walk in the Spirit is our sense of our own sinfulness, with is a deception.

"Your sins have separated you from God." I think we still think that way, and when we become conscious of our sins, we feel apart from God, and are suddenly trying to live without Him, and defacto are walking according to the flesh, as if we were not born again,

. . . as if, Jesus had not taken away our sins. Forgetting what God has done for us.

I believe the entrance right now - this moment - into the Spirit filled and Spirit led life is by realizing that God has nothing against us. All is forgiven, all is wiped away.

Even what I'm doing wrong right new that I may not even be realizing, or I do realize and can't deal with it, or whatever, the beauty is, it's all gone, so God has no hindrance towards sharing His life with us. Right now.

What can ever get in the way?

Much love!
Mark

We sin daily, all of us ,weather knowingly or not. I have found that while I walk in the flesh I try to keep my eyes fixed on Him. I also have open communication with Him through out the day. This in a sense, is praying without ceasing. Praying with out ceasing does not necesarilly mean on your knees. He is right there to help us. This also sometimes leads to walking in The Spirit. Here is a simple personal prayer that I pray daily that has helped me along The Way.
Holy Father, please forgive my sins and wash me clean. Cover me in the blood, that you shed at Calvary, upon that Cross.
This I ask in Jesus Holy Name. Amen
I do not beat myself up about sin, for I know He alone is Perfect while I am imperfect. I also know that He is just to forgive our sins, all of them. Many times in the beginning of my walk, and I really messed up, He would say, "Keep walking my son, I AM not mad at you." So I say unto you, put your sins under the blood of The Lamb and keep walking, you need not look back for they are already gone.

Reactions: marks and Helen

GTW27

Dec 6, 2018
wilderness
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Blessings in Christ Jesus! Perhaps an anology is in order. If you were a car, would you allow The Lord to drive it? Would you trust Him enough, to be willing to hop in the backseat and let Him drive? "Not my will be done but your will be done." The Lord is a gentleman, and in most Christians lives, He waits patiently in the backseat until the day He is invited up front to take the wheel. In that day, that He takes the wheel, one will know what it is like to walk in The Spirit. It is on this day that day the two shall become One.

I still can't grasp how that might shift one into the Spirit. I never experienced it when you hear people say the get filled with the Holy Ghost. I've felt God very close but often struggled with knowing what the experience was that is talked about.[/QUOTE]

John the baptist said, I must decrease, so that He will increase. So it is with us. Our journey with Him involves us dying to self and and the lust of this world. As this happens, and happen it will, in time we become less and He becomes more in us. This is according to His plan for us, for everyone is different. But the one thing that is sure, is that He promised to finish the work that He started in us. If I were you I would ask Him about it, He might just surprise you when you least expect it.

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
We sin daily, all of us ,weather knowingly or not. I have found that while I walk in the flesh I try to keep my eyes fixed on Him. I also have open communication with Him through out the day. This in a sense, is praying without ceasing. Praying with out ceasing does not necesarilly mean on your knees. He is right there to help us. This also sometimes leads to walking in The Spirit. Here is a simple personal prayer that I pray daily that has helped me along The Way.
Holy Father, please forgive my sins and wash me clean. Cover me in the blood, that you shed at Calvary, upon that Cross.
I do not beat myself up about sin, for I know He alone is Perfect while I am imperfect. I also know that He is just to forgive our sins, all of them. Many times in the beginning of my walk, and I really messed up, He would say, "Keep walking my son, I AM not mad at you." So I say unto you, put your sins under the blood of The Lamb and keep walking, you need not look back for they are already gone.

Something I've added to my thoughts to focus on is a reminder to judge with righteous judgment. I may consider myself guilty sometimes, but God knows the truth - I'm not guilty!

Much love!

Last edited:
Reactions: Helen

Soverign Grace

Sep 15, 2018
Palmyra
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hi GTW27,

I think that when John was on Patmos, and had his vision of The Revelation of Jesus Christ, when he says there, I was in the Spirit on the Lord's day, I just somehow think he meant something different, but I couldn't offer any evidence, just my own sense that he was saying something like the Spirit took me away in a vision, something like that.

But I still feel I quite will understand the question you ask, it's what I want too.

I remember various times when I was suddenly overwhelmed with beautiful emotions, and worship for God just started pouring out of me, wonderful times! I think those were times that God gave me a fresh filling of the Spirit, something extra, for that time.

Then there is the daily walk.

I believe that we are ever and always in the Spirit, being born again, but that we don't always walk in the Spirit.

I've come to believe that what holds us back from enjoying the full and eternal walk in the Spirit is our sense of our own sinfulness, with is a deception.

"Your sins have separated you from God." I think we still think that way, and when we become conscious of our sins, we feel apart from God, and are suddenly trying to live without Him, and defacto are walking according to the flesh, as if we were not born again,

. . . as if, Jesus had not taken away our sins. Forgetting what God has done for us.

I believe the entrance right now - this moment - into the Spirit filled and Spirit led life is by realizing that God has nothing against us. All is forgiven, all is wiped away.

Even what I'm doing wrong right new that I may not even be realizing, or I do realize and can't deal with it, or whatever, the beauty is, it's all gone, so God has no hindrance towards sharing His life with us. Right now.

What can ever get in the way?

Much love!
Mark

I tend to think that it was a special time of shifting "into the Spirit" but I don't know if God does this or we do something to bring it about.

GTW27

Dec 6, 2018
wilderness
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I tend to think that it was a special time of shifting "into the Spirit" but I don't know if God does this or we do something to bring it about.

The Lord told us to be ready in season and out. In other words we must be willing at any moment. Today, I will leave my house and go to my job. I work with the public. I know not what lies ahead today, but The Lord knows. I also know that The Lord is with me and can take the wheel anytime He pleases. When I leave this house I will be walking in the flesh with my eyes fixed upon Him. Today, I will see and come in contact with many people, some I know and most I do not. He knows them all, and He knows exactly what they need to hear.(My Father is always working). Many times I do not know why I say the things I do, but He knows the why. He is always building a foundation for He is The Master Builder. At any time during the day, without planning or notice I go from walking in the flesh to walking in The Spirit. This is The Lord's doing. In other words He takes the wheel. It is at this time that my continance changes(Glowing) to pure joy and peace.(that your joy may be full). It is then, that His words flow like a river. And they are exacty what that person needs at that moment. I say this not in bragging, for I am nothing, but I do brag on Him for He alone is worthy of bragging.So to answer your question, it is The Lord's doing, but we must have Faith that He will. And that Faith please Him.

Reactions: marks

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Hi SG,

I don't know about what happened with John, exactly what that meant.

With us, I believe Scripture teaches that we are in the Spirit having been born again, and I find that, well, it's that song . . .

Turn your eyes upon Jesus
Look full in His wonderful face
And the things of earth will grow strangely dim
In the light of His glory and grace

Romans 6 speaks in terms of that we live our lives "unto God". What seems for me to be the best way to life this way is to remember, to see in my minds eye, as it were, that Jesus is here with me, right now, to lead me in what is righteous, to support my body, to steady my mind, to quite my disturbed emotions. And to work, in me, through me, by teaching and training me to "put on the new man", which is already righteous and truly holy.

What I've learned is that, for me, the one real impediment to this walking in the Spirit is if I stop trusting Jesus for it. And that happens when I look at anything else. My lack of resources. My physical or mental or emotional weakness. Or, most of all, my bad behavior. My character weaknesses.

If I look at the imperfection and downright corruption of my flesh, and feel guilty, or disqualified, then I'm not enjoying the life God gives to me as His spirit child. Jesus' spirit brother, and in the brotherhood of a new humanity.

So when I remember God's grace for me, the total and complete removal of all sin from all my life for all time, and that's grace! When I remember that, then there is no impediment, and, I sit here at my desk writing to you my brother, and our Father is here with me, and will be there with you as you read these words.

As I endeaver to write to you in love, our Fathers sees, and empowers, this is His will. As you read these words, it's my hope that you will find our Father's love in them, that they may be an expression of His love, a small part of a life of the liberty to experience His love at all times, at all times confident that nothing can or will ever ever separate you from God's love, given to us, in Jesus Christ our Lord and Advocate.

Much love!
Mark

Soverign Grace

Sep 15, 2018
Palmyra
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The Lord told us to be ready in season and out. In other words we must be willing at any moment. Today, I will leave my house and go to my job. I work with the public. I know not what lies ahead today, but The Lord knows. I also know that The Lord is with me and can take the wheel anytime He pleases. When I leave this house I will be walking in the flesh with my eyes fixed upon Him. Today, I will see and come in contact with many people, some I know and most I do not. He knows them all, and He knows exactly what they need to hear.(My Father is always working). Many times I do not know why I say the things I do, but He knows the why. He is always building a foundation for He is The Master Builder. At any time during the day, without planning or notice I go from walking in the flesh to walking in The Spirit. This is The Lord's doing. In other words He takes the wheel. It is at this time that my continance changes(Glowing) to pure joy and peace.(that your joy may be full). It is then, that His words flow like a river. And they are exacty what that person needs at that moment. I say this not in bragging, for I am nothing, but I do brag on Him for He alone is worthy of bragging.So to answer your question, it is The Lord's doing, but we must have Faith that He will. And that Faith please Him.

So it's your belief that it's God who shifts one into the spirit? I'd like to experience what Paul did.

Soverign Grace

Sep 15, 2018
Palmyra
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hi SG,

I don't know about what happened with John, exactly what that meant.

With us, I believe Scripture teaches that we are in the Spirit having been born again, and I find that, well, it's that song . . .

Turn your eyes upon Jesus
Look full in His wonderful face
And the things of earth will grow strangely dim
In the light of His glory and grace

Romans 6 speaks in terms of that we live our lives "unto God". What seems for me to be the best way to life this way is to remember, to see in my minds eye, as it were, that Jesus is here with me, right now, to lead me in what is righteous, to support my body, to steady my mind, to quite my disturbed emotions. And to work, in me, through me, by teaching and training me to "put on the new man", which is already righteous and truly holy.

What I've learned is that, for me, the one real impediment to this walking in the Spirit is if I stop trusting Jesus for it. And that happens when I look at anything else. My lack of resources. My physical or mental or emotional weakness. Or, most of all, my bad behavior. My character weaknesses.

If I look at the imperfection and downright corruption of my flesh, and feel guilty, or disqualified, then I'm not enjoying the life God gives to me as His spirit child. Jesus' spirit brother, and in the brotherhood of a new humanity.

So when I remember God's grace for me, the total and complete removal of all sin from all my life for all time, and that's grace! When I remember that, then there is no impediment, and, I sit here at my desk writing to you my brother, and our Father is here with me, and will be there with you as you read these words.

As I endeaver to write to you in love, our Fathers sees, and empowers, this is His will. As you read these words, it's my hope that you will find our Father's love in them, that they may be an expression of His love, a small part of a life of the liberty to experience His love at all times, at all times confident that nothing can or will ever ever separate you from God's love, given to us, in Jesus Christ our Lord and Advocate.

Much love!
Mark

Mark - your love does come through in your posts. I was just seeking a deeper experience and don't know how to get to the place that Paul did. Maybe it will come clear in time.

Not me

May 8, 2019
California, Ca.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
We read in Galatians,

Galatians 3:3 (NKJV)
Are you so foolish? Having begun in the Spirit, are you now being made perfect by the flesh?

“Having begun in the Spirit”

So all one would have to do is figure out what is was that the Galatians did at first. Than a continuation of that would be “walking in the Spirit” and a continuation of that would be “living in the Spirit.”

(My ponderings)

Blessings,

Much love in Christ, Not me

GTW27

Dec 6, 2018
wilderness
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
So it's your belief that it's God who shifts one into the spirit? I'd like to experience what Paul did.
It is He, that steps forward in us. Every time I encounter a true Christian(one in whom The Holy Spirit resides) I go into The Spirit, for it is The Spirit that bears witness to The Spirit. In our walk, there are seasons, and there is a season for what you hope for.

Reactions: Pearl

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Mark - your love does come through in your posts. I was just seeking a deeper experience and don't know how to get to the place that Paul did. Maybe it will come clear in time.
You need to accept the gifts of the Spirit and use the gift of tongues in your personal prayer life if you already don't. And if you do perhaps for longer periods. God doesn't bestow all of us with the same spiritual gifts but he does bestow the gift of tongues to all of us and through using that gift it will open the way for God to use you in whichever way he chooses. We don't get to choose.

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

I believe that place is found in the center of God's love and grace. Nothing stands between you and Him. He made sure if it.

Much love!

Reactions: Soverign Grace

Soverign Grace

Sep 15, 2018
Palmyra
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It is He, that steps forward in us. Every time I encounter a true Christian(one in whom The Holy Spirit resides) I go into The Spirit, for it is The Spirit that bears witness to The Spirit. In our walk, there are seasons, and there is a season for what you hope for.

I've had times when I shared Christ with a neighbor I felt something in my eyes pass to hers - I knew the Holy Spirit was drawing her. I've had times where I've felt God inches away from me. But I just wondered how one shifted into the spirit. I hope you're right that a season will come when I attain that.

Soverign Grace

Sep 15, 2018
Palmyra
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You need to accept the gifts of the Spirit and use the gift of tongues in your personal prayer life if you already don't. And if you do perhaps for longer periods. God doesn't bestow all of us with the same spiritual gifts but he does bestow the gift of tongues to all of us and through using that gift it will open the way for God to use you in whichever way he chooses. We don't get to choose.

I did receive that but then read that it's not of God so I'm afraid to use it. I asked God to make it clear whether it was from Him and He hasn't just yet.

I was told that I have the gift of discernment but I don't know how to use that other than to navigate myself through good and bad churches and telling what someone is about. I know it's given for the body but I haven't found my place to use it.

Reactions: Pearl

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
I did receive that but then read that it's not of God so I'm afraid to use it. I asked God to make it clear whether it was from Him and He hasn't just yet.

I was told that I have the gift of discernment but I don't know how to use that other than to navigate myself through good and bad churches and telling what someone is about. I know it's given for the body but I haven't found my place to use it.
Did God tell you that you had the gift of discernment or was it a brother or sister? I think that unless you hear from God it's perhaps best to question it.

Of course God can use other people to speak to us but I would say that perhaps if he hasn't confirmed it then you don't have that specific gift although I think we are all sometimes given discernment for a one-off time and perhaps that is why you were told you had the gift.

Also there are too many Christians today who are saying that it isn't of God that many of us are afraid to use our God given gifts whatever they are. It is Satan's way of immobilising the Church and rendering it inactive. I used it quite naturally and happily until I read all the negatives on another Christian site and then, like you, I was unsure and afraid to carry on. But after reading some good stuff I started again and have really felt the difference. It is the only gift we can use at will, whenever and wherever, so give it a try. <))))<

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Walking in the Spirit, we know what it looks like:

Galatians 5
22 But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, gentleness, goodness, faith,
23 Meekness, temperance: against such there is no law.
24 And they that are Christ's have crucified the flesh with the affections and lusts.
25 If we live in the Spirit, let us also walk in the Spirit.
26 Let us not be desirous of vain glory, provoking one another, envying one another.

We know what we act like:

1 Corinthians 13
4 Charity suffereth long, and is kind; charity envieth not; charity vaunteth not itself, is not puffed up,
5 Doth not behave itself unseemly, seeketh not her own, is not easily provoked, thinketh no evil;
6 Rejoiceth not in iniquity, but rejoiceth in the truth;
7 Beareth all things, believeth all things, hopeth all things, endureth all things.
8 Charity never faileth:

What do we aim for?

1 Corinthians 12
27 Now ye are the body of Christ, and members in particular.
28 And God hath set some in the church, first apostles, secondarily prophets, thirdly teachers, after that miracles, then gifts of healings, helps, governments, diversities of tongues.
29 Are all apostles? are all prophets? are all teachers? are all workers of miracles?
30 Have all the gifts of healing? do all speak with tongues? do all interpret?
31 But covet earnestly the best gifts: and yet shew I unto you a more excellent way.

Later in this letter God will teach us about different gifts, the more useful, the more to be desired. But here God is telling us that before we even get into different giftings and ministries, love comes first.

How do we "get in the Spirit"? I believe it is by relying on God, by believing there is no obstacle between He and us, and by knowing that He will not fail us.

As we move ahead in loving others, He provides what we need.

I believe that we rely on God to supply our need and He does. We rely on God to lead us and He does. He may use these gifts to do that in words of knowledge or wisdom, for ourselves or others, through prophecies and prayers and all the rest.

I think that as we chose to by love serve others, that God guides us into the walking in works that He before ordained for each of us, and supernaturally empowers us to do all those works.

The just, by my faith, they live, quoting the LXX. In the Spirit is to live the life, "and the life that I live, I live by the faith of the Son of God, Who loved me and gave Himself for me."

Believing we can, that God guides, that God empowers, that God gives us His faith, working in us, we can. It is His will, our sanctification.

Much love!
Mark

marksman

My eldest granddaughter showing the result of her
Feb 27, 2008
Melbourne Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Actually, that sounds like a good question!

Does it?

Hm. I Cor. 1, He called us to fellowship, Romans 8, that he would have many brothers, Perhaps I don't know a verse that says exactly that, but it's more my conclusion from several verses.

1 John 1
1 That which was from the beginning, which we have heard, which we have seen with our eyes, which we have looked upon, and our hands have handled, of the Word of life;
2 (For the life was manifested, and we have seen it, and bear witness, and shew unto you that eternal life, which was with the Father, and was manifested unto us;)
3 That which we have seen and heard declare we unto you, that ye also may have fellowship with us: and truly our fellowship is with the Father, and with his Son Jesus Christ.

What are your thoughts?

Much love!

I am glad you have brought that up because it seems that having fellowship with the Father seems to be a foreign experience for too many Christians.

I ask myself if I had a natural father when I came home at night, would I sit in a different room to him? When a meal was served, would I sit at a different table to him? If we went out to a restaurant for a meal would I sit on the other side of the restaurant? If we went to a ball game, would I sit on the other side of the stadium to him?

That is often what Christians do in fact. When you go to a meeting God is in the heavenlies but we doggedly sit in the earthlies ignore the fact that God is not there and if we want to meet with him we have to go into the heavenly realm which may mean leaving our comfort zone.

Knowing God and being known by him is what it is all about. Without that, we are nothing more than robots that perform a ritual to keep the denomination or leader happy. Because of that, too many churches are about as useful as a flat tyre.

A church I was part of in the UK during the charismatic renewal and which used to have visitors from all over the country and which had no platform, no preacher and no programme usually experienced the presence of God in the meetings and everything flowed and ministered life to those attending. The visitors were in awe because they had not experienced anything like it.

It happened because we kept our hands off things and allowed the Holy Spirit to control what went on and as a result whether you wanted a dose of the Spirit or not you got it.

Now, the bottom line. We were taught that you could only minister what was inside of you and what was inside of you came about in your relationship with God. You gave out what you took in and if you didn't take it in you had nothing to give out. Hence your relationship with God was vital as you could not live on yesterday's bread.

Now if you are in a church that does the same old same old every week you don't need a relationship with God because you know what is going to happen all the time which means no faith is required, just obedience to the system.

marksman

Feb 27, 2008
Melbourne Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia

I find the best way to avoid sin is to stay in bed all day!!

marksman

Feb 27, 2008
Melbourne Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia

Do not under any circumstances believe that the gifts of the Spirit are not of God. If they are not of God then they cannot be the gifts of the Spirit. The person who is putting that about on here is totally and completely wrong. He is the one that is not of God. Not you or the gifts of the Spirit. The scripture says to earnestly desire the best gifts (more important) so you can desire any gift you want.