How Do We Get "In The Spirit"?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

marksman

My eldest granddaughter showing the result of her
Feb 27, 2008
Melbourne Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
I've read Derek Prince and watched a few of his videos. A woman who used to teach bible study told me I have the gift of discernment. I never used it for the good of the church and have been wondering of late if it was time to do more. God has been opening up Revelations to me but I'll keep that book in mind. Derek Prince was close with Pastor Don Basham who I liked - I had a book written by him.

Can't get enough of Derek Prince. We used to have him as a guest speaker at one of our holiday conferences each year.

I get his teaching every month from Derek Prince Ministries who I support financially in their outreach to China with his teaching.

Don is good as is Ern Baxter, Bob Mumford, and Charles Simpson.

Reactions: Pearl

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Is he Pentecostal of some sort?
Google him farouk. I'm not sure of his background but he is sound. We used to listen to some of his preaches at our group's mid-week bible study in our house.

marksman

Feb 27, 2008
Melbourne Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
He doesn't give to all to speak in tongues. I have never spoken in tongues and I've walked with God for about 13 years. Lord knows, I don't want another thread to devolve into a stupid tongues debate, but no, He doesn't give all this gift.

What he doesn't give is not irrelevant. What he does give is the important thing and it says he gives severally as he wills. I think you will find that statement will keep you busy for a very long time.

marksman

Feb 27, 2008
Melbourne Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
I became uncertain about it when I read that various people said it wasn't from God. I prayed and asked Him to show me and I expect that He will at some point.

I didn't realize that Scripture said to earnestly desire the best gifts. I took a few online tests to try to determine my gifts and I consistently got "discernment." I never learned how to use it for the church so I'm waiting for God to show me that too. I'm waiting on a few things from God.

From my experience, there is only one way to find out how to use a gift and it is very simple. Use it. You don't learn by thinking about it or reading about it. You learn by doing. A case of getting out of the boat.

As you can imagine the only ingredient needed is faith. As it says faith without works is dead. You don't know if you have faith for anything until you put it to the test.

Reactions: Pearl

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Okay marks, my fault. Sorry. Should have kept my mouth shut.
That's OK, I can segue, this is good!

:)

Because I think a more excellent way to "get into the Spirit"/"remain in the Spirit" is by love serving others. We want to be in the same spiritual state that Jesus was in, saying, I am never alone, the Father is always with me. To know the joy of communion with God, that communion shining light on all our life.

Now. We don't have to think that we must duplicate what Jesus did to receive what Jesus received. That's the whole point.

Jesus said that He always does what the Father wants so the Father is always with Him. But we must not believe that the Fathere is not as fully with us because we do things displeasing. Jesus gives His righteousness to us, and so He has promised, I will never leave you nor forsake you.

So we can be in this world as Jesus, walking in the Spirit, by love serving others, all things by Christ's strength in us.

To walk in the Spirit is to serve others. That is what Jesus did. When we do, we are simply doing what we are born for. Serving others because we love them will touch, will change the deepest parts of our soul (psyche).

To choose to love others is a choice the Holy Spirit will empower. That is faith.

When we love others, we want to care for them, nurture them, to be patient with them, to want them to grow, to surpass us, to reach great heights. To remove impediments and to supply all manner of needs.

And these choices God will empower. This is His will for us.

What blows my mind is what I end up trading 'the joy of walking in the works previously ordained' for, that is, the walk not in faith, not in the Spirit, but according to the flesh.

Not just in gross sin, but in impatience. Or whatever. If I fail to pay attention to the needs of others, or forget to love them.

Because instead, it could be God empowering me in who knows what? If we are committed to loving others, then God moves through us to do whatever He will, and in so doing, fulfills our deepest desires.

For the Apostle John, it was to see his children walk in truth. That sounds good to me!

Much love!

101G

Jul 20, 2012
Mobile, Al.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Addressing the OP only, you gave the answer.
We need to form our mental definitions from the truths in Scripture.
Romans 12:2 "And be not conformed to this world: but be ye transformed by the renewing of your mind, that ye may prove what [is] that good, and acceptable, and perfect, will of God".
Ephesians 4:22 "That ye put off concerning the former conversation the old man, which is corrupt according to the deceitful lusts;
Ephesians 4:23 "And be renewed in the spirit of your mind;

How do one do this? answer ....... "REPENT". then the Holy Spirit can teach us. and when being taugh, the old man is put off, then we can act like God, talk like God, and do the thing of God that please him. this is call learning God.

John 6:45 "It is written in the prophets, And they shall be all taught of God. Every man therefore that hath heard, and hath learned of the Father, cometh unto me.

PICJAC.

Soverign Grace

Sep 15, 2018
Palmyra
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I would like to ask that discussions on the spiritual gifts be taken up on another thread, to be able to stay focused on this topic.

Thank you and much love!
Mark

Sometimes it may be okay to let God or whoever lead a conversation where it may go. I'm hungry for knowledge and wisdom as I had been backslidden and am now doing catch-up. I don't get out as much as I'd like and changing direction of a thread doesn't bother me - unless others are bothered. Your concern is very honorable. You can tell a lot about the state of someone's heart by their posts:)

Soverign Grace

Sep 15, 2018
Palmyra
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Addressing the OP only, you gave the answer.

Romans 12:2 "And be not conformed to this world: but be ye transformed by the renewing of your mind, that ye may prove what [is] that good, and acceptable, and perfect, will of God".
Ephesians 4:22 "That ye put off concerning the former conversation the old man, which is corrupt according to the deceitful lusts;
Ephesians 4:23 "And be renewed in the spirit of your mind;

How do one do this? answer ....... "REPENT". then the Holy Spirit can teach us. and when being taugh, the old man is put off, then we can act like God, talk like God, and do the thing of God that please him. this is call learning God.

John 6:45 "It is written in the prophets, And they shall be all taught of God. Every man therefore that hath heard, and hath learned of the Father, cometh unto me.

PICJAC.

I came across a sermon that said that renewing the mind is the most important aspect of the Christian walk. I think that has merit. I used to read the bible every morning without fail. Then I was injured and it completely changed everything. I'm struggling to get back to that. But I've had very rare times where there was just an extra measure of closeness and a sense of the holy but it was brief and didn't last. Maybe to get there we need more of the Word within and God can speak to us to lead us where He wants us to go so your post makes sense.

101G

Jul 20, 2012
Mobile, Al.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I came across a sermon that said that renewing the mind is the most important aspect of the Christian walk. I think that has merit. I used to read the bible every morning without fail. Then I was injured and it completely changed everything. I'm struggling to get back to that. But I've had very rare times where there was just an extra measure of closeness and a sense of the holy but it was brief and didn't last. Maybe to get there we need more of the Word within and God can speak to us to lead us where He wants us to go so your post makes sense.
first, we pray that you have a complete and full recovery from your Injury if resent. and with that recovery, back to reading the bible.
second, we all struggle, but the hunger for the word inspire me to read, research, and find something that I haven't found before. Proverbs 25:2 "[It is] the glory of God to conceal a thing: but the honour of kings [is] to search out a matter.

we search everyday, and the rewards are wonderful. so we encourage you, if your injury hinder you in some way, we're praying that God open a way for you to get back to your studies.

stay strong in the Lord, and remember, Isaiah 54:17 "No weapon that is formed against thee shall prosper; and every tongue [that] shall rise against thee in judgment thou shalt condemn. This [is] the heritage of the servants of the LORD, and their righteousness [is] of me, saith the LORD.

this is your heritage, to overcome. we will be praying for you.

PICJAG.

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
I don't believe we actually need our bibles to get in the Spirit. A few years ago I spent a few days in hospital and felt as though I was meant to be there. Whilst I was there I spent a lot of time quietly praying for the other women and staff on the ward. I didn't have my bible and realised at the time that many Christians lay such great store on their bibles that they can lose their closeness to God because reading their bibles becomes legalistic. During my hospital stay I did feel as though was 'In the Spirit' even though I didn't have a bible. I do read my bible daily but it is only a part of my relationship with God and what is more important is just sitting with him in a quiet place and letting him show me things, sometimes from scripture but sometimes just from nature or by a quiet word into my spirit.

Soverign Grace

Sep 15, 2018
Palmyra
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
first, we pray that you have a complete and full recovery from your Injury if resent. and with that recovery, back to reading the bible.
second, we all struggle, but the hunger for the word inspire me to read, research, and find something that I haven't found before. Proverbs 25:2 "[It is] the glory of God to conceal a thing: but the honour of kings [is] to search out a matter.

we search everyday, and the rewards are wonderful. so we encourage you, if your injury hinder you in some way, we're praying that God open a way for you to get back to your studies.

stay strong in the Lord, and remember, Isaiah 54:17 "No weapon that is formed against thee shall prosper; and every tongue [that] shall rise against thee in judgment thou shalt condemn. This [is] the heritage of the servants of the LORD, and their righteousness [is] of me, saith the LORD.

this is your heritage, to overcome. we will be praying for you.

PICJAG.

Thanks - I have been praying about that for awhile. I think that God has some purpose in it however. During long days of being unable to do much else I did a lot of reading and over time God opened up how it was related to Revelations, although my bible reading was haphazard and not like it used to be. I'm trying to get back into a routine now.

I appreciate your prayers!

101G

Jul 20, 2012
Mobile, Al.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Thanks - I have been praying about that for awhile. I think that God has some purpose in it however. During long days of being unable to do much else I did a lot of reading and over time God opened up how it was related to Revelations, although my bible reading was haphazard and not like it used to be. I'm trying to get back into a routine now.

I appreciate your prayers!
well praise God. all glory to him. I knew you're an overcomer. we encourage you to contuine to grow in GRACE, yes God have something for you to do. we encourage you in all area of your life. always stay encourage, seek the LORD, and let him reward you mightly. will contuine to pray for you. be blessed.

PICJAG.

Soverign Grace

Sep 15, 2018
Palmyra
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
well praise God. all glory to him. I knew you're an overcomer. we encourage you to contuine to grow in GRACE, yes God have something for you to do. we encourage you in all area of your life. always stay encourage, seek the LORD, and let him reward you mightly. will contuine to pray for you. be blessed.

PICJAG.

I never thought of it that way - being an overcomer, but I know the verse.

Thank you for your kindness. Sometimes it helps just by having someone encourage you. Maybe that's one of your gifts:)

Reactions: 101G